Which Fan Do You Use? (Nyko Intercooler vs. Pelican Fan Stand)

Ma12kez

CAGiversary!
Feedback
40 (100%)
::EDIT:: Here are some other useful links/articles:
  1. Nyko Intercooler Scorches Xbox 360 Consoles?
  2. Alternative to Overheating 360s?
I know that there are a couple threads about these fans, and their issues, which can be found here:
  1. Nyko Intercooler vs. Pelican Fan Stand
  2. Nyko Intercooler Glitches?
  3. Nyko Intercooler Breaking 360s?
However, since none of them had a poll I'd like take one of the CAG community and their preference on the usage of fans, as well as their personal experiences with the quality of these fans. I have gone through 2 Nyko Intercoolers already (first generation with the power button, second generation without the power button), and they tend to make a loud buzzing noise for the first minute or so (though the first generation's buzzing sound wouldn't stop so that's why I had it exchanged).

The reason for this poll is that the buzzing lately on my intercooler seems to be getting louder every time, and I'm afraid it might end up sending it to the repair shop (it's a launch 360 by the way). I'd like to get a better idea of what's going on with these things, and if they really do pose any threat. If you can, please answer these questions:
  1. Which fan do/did you own? (If it's a Nyko, please specify if it's a first/second generation model)
  2. How long have you had it?
  3. Were there any problems with the quality of the fan (buzzing sound for instance)?
  4. If there were problems, did you need to get it replaced or did you fix it on your own?
  5. If the problems continued, did you try other alternatives like switching out the fans or oiling down the fans to stop the buzzing noise?
  6. If your 360 died and you used a fan, do you think the fan had something to do with your 360's demise?

None, because mine has never had any heat problems. Well ventilated.

Plus, I'm pretty sure they cause 360s to actually die faster.

[quote name='Brak']I had an InterCooler, but I removed it.[/quote]Yeah I'm thinking about doing the same thing. Every time I turn on my 360, it sounds like it's going to explode.

[quote name='Ma12kez']Yeah I'm thinking about doing the same thing. Every time I turn on my 360, it sounds like it's going to explode.[/QUOTE]
Yeah. I noticed that, in retrospect, the only time my 360 ever froze (which was rare) was when I had the InterCooler hooked up.

That and, as you said, it's just too damn loud.

[quote name='Brak']Yeah. I noticed that, in retrospect, the only time my 360 ever froze (which was rare) was when I had the InterCooler hooked up.

That and, as you said, it's just too damn loud.[/quote]Now that you mention it, my 360 hasn't froze ever since I hooked up my intercooler (it use to lock-up twice a week before the intercooler was released). It's just that buzzing sound always makes me think twice about having it attached to my 360.:whistle2:k

My 360 won't even turn on with my Intercooler attached to it anymore .
I get 3 red lights .

Funny thing is I just tried it again , for what will probably be the last time .

I hope my GS buddy will let me take it back .

[quote name='Richlough']My 360 won't even turn on with my Intercooler attached to it anymore .
I get 3 red lights .

Funny thing is I just tried it again , for what will probably be the last time .

I hope my GS buddy will let me take it back .[/quote]I got the same thing with my first second generation model of the intercooler. You probably got a busted one, because I just swapped it out for another one and it worked fine for a while until it started making the horrid buzzing sound.

For anyone considering the intercooler i'd recommend against it. It may or may not have played a role in killing my 360, but it sure as hell didn't prevent it from dying. And I keep mine in a well ventilated area.

[quote name='Ma12kez']I got the same thing with my first second generation model of the intercooler. You probably got a busted one, because I just swapped it out for another one and it worked fine for a while until it started making the horrid buzzing sound.[/QUOTE]

It's actually my 2nd first style one .

I found that if you turn on your 360 with the fan off , and then turn the fan on when it's done booting .
You'll get way less noise from the fans , because there's more available power for them .
Fans need more power to start from a dead stop , so they end up surging too much .

[quote name='Richlough']It's actually my 2nd first style one .

I found that if you turn on your 360 with the fan off , and then turn the fan on when it's done booting .
You'll get way less noise from the fans , because there's more available power for them .
Fans need more power to start from a dead stop , so they end up surging too much .[/quote]Good point. I didn't actually think about doing that when I had the first generation model, but I highly suggest you don't use the first generation models (the ones with the power switches) since they were discontinued for defective issues. Though both models seem to have issues, the second one is "supposed" to be better.:roll:

My 360 is on a wall mounted component rack, it couldn't be in a more ventilate area unless i suspended it from the ceiling by a string...

hmmm...

/looks for string and power drill

Well so far it looks like more people choose, or don't choose the intercooler. On the other hand, can anyone vouch for the Pelican Fan Stand?

THe intercooler worked fine for me, but since I turned the system horizantal and the intercooler is rather loud, I switched to a laptop cooler I got on the cheap. Also there's one more fan designed for the xbox 360, the Psyclone Chillstation.

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell']THe intercooler worked fine for me, but since I turned the system horizantal and the intercooler is rather loud, I switched to a laptop cooler I got on the cheap. Also there's one more fan designed for the xbox 360, the Psyclone Chillstation.[/quote]How is that laptop cooler working for you? I was thinking about just switching to that too.

I own a first gen intercooler (with power switch on back) Its worked fine for me since I bought it day one. From what I read I the only person that doesn't have a problem. But its hard to separate the truth from people bitching.

[quote name='Ma12kez']How is that laptop cooler working for you? I was thinking about just switching to that too.[/QUOTE]

No problems so far, I dunno how much it actually cools it in comparison to somehting like the Intercooler, but it's nice and big (made for 17" laptops) so it clears out the hot air that resides behind the 360 as well. Plus it acts as a USB hub as well adding an extra port.

[quote name='Graystone']I own a first gen intercooler (with power switch on back) Its worked fine for me since I bought it day one. From what I read I the only person that doesn't have a problem. But its hard to separate the truth from people bitching.[/QUOTE]

Mine was first gen too and I never had any problems with (besides being kinda noisy though they all are), overall it ran very well. I only switched because the laptop cooling pad cost only $10 and was more quiet. I think alot of the "it broke my 360" talk is all smoke and mirrors.

[quote name='Graystone']I own a first gen intercooler (with power switch on back) Its worked fine for me since I bought it day one. From what I read I the only person that doesn't have a problem. But its hard to separate the truth from people bitching.[/quote]Wow, no buzzing sound at all?

I use the Pelican fan stand and it seems to do the job. I like the fact that it doesn't block the vents on the back like the Nyko one.

To be fair my 360 is in a well ventilated position so I'm not really sure how much good it's doing but I haven't had any red lights of death problems. It's also a pretty good stand as well.

I had a lot of freezing issues at one point early on in my 360's life-- I couldn't find the intercooler but was certain I needed it-- My 360's only available space is in an entertainment center, and although it isn't completely closed in, it's also not a lot of open space either.

For a temporary fix I moved the power brick onto the top of the entertainment center (Had to get a little creative so it wouldn't fall off-- Push pins and rubber bands are basically holding it down.), and the freezing stopped nearly altogether. I guess there wasn't enough room for it to vent behind the entertainment center.

I've considered getting a laptop cooler, as I need one for my laptop anyway, but for now I'm waiting.

[quote name='Corvin']People actually use these?

According to MS they hurt your system more than it helping it. Read on.[/QUOTE]

Ever hear of shifting blame? According to MS they didn't have any quality control issues with the 360 either, but then magically they decided to extend warranties for those manufactured in the first 3 months. My point is a manufactuer will look for any excuse to shift the blame from their product.

I've been using the intercooler for about a month now. Never had a freeze since using it (but then again, I only had 3 or so freezes in 6 months prior to the intercooler). I don't get the buzzing sound people keep talking about. The fans make the system a bit louder, but half the time I don't even notice since the surround sound is usually running.

I'm thinking about getting the Pelican Fan Stand, as it appears to work fine without any of the problems associated with the Nyko Intercooler. Has there been any bad press for the Pelican? Or does it work alright?

I also trust Pelican quite a deal more - have had a lot of good experiences with both their products and customer service in the past.

[quote name='SilverPaw750']I'm thinking about getting the Pelican Fan Stand, as it appears to work fine without any of the problems associated with the Nyko Intercooler. Has there been any bad press for the Pelican? Or does it work alright?

I also trust Pelican quite a deal more - have had a lot of good experiences with both their products and customer service in the past.[/quote]Most of the Microsoft Reps have stated that if you absolutely have to use a fan, they suggest going with Pelican because it is powered through the USB port and not directly to the power outlet of the 360. So basically any fan (notebook cooler as well) that is USB powered should be fine. In addition, if there is a power switch, turn on the fan AFTER the 360 has booted up to the dashboard.

I recently removed my Nyko Intercooler and I honestly can't believe how quiet the 360 is! As of now, I'm using my Targus notebook cooler as an alternative for a cooling fan until someone decides to make another type a fan. Granted I haven't had a freeze yet (with either the notebook cooler or the Nyko Intercooler), but it sure is pretty sweet that my 360 doesn't sound like a lawnmower anymore.

Last week I got the Psyclone Chill Station which has some very close similarities to the Pelican Fan Stand. It's uses a single fan to get air into the base of the 360. Here are my impressions:

Pros:
1) Doesn't get power from the powerplug at the back of the 360 like the Intercooler does (and many people think that this is harmful to the game system). It's power comes from the USB port.
2) Holds the 360 more securely in a vertical position than the Pelican Fan Stand does.
3) Lights up and looks very cool.
4) Doesn't make much noise at all.
5) Controller storage at the sides looks very sharp.
6) It can be run when the 360 has been turned off.

Cons:
1) Only has one fan, and there are products out there with more air-moving capabillity.
2) No remote control to turn it off. You have to go up to it and click the switch on and off.
3) A careless pet or child may still be able to knock over the system because it doesn't tightly hold it in.

All in all, this is a great fan, and I'm sure it's lowering the operating temp by at least 10 degrees. If you don't get it because you're not convinced fans help the 360 last longer, at least get it to make your 360 look great! :)

Here’s the link for it: http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Psyc...57964/catOid/-16534/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

The picture shows it glowing green, but in reality it's transparent and contains a rope-light (kinda like a green glowing fiber optic which is a few millimeters wide). Trust me, it'll make all your friends jealous.

Steve

intercooler is shit. I did get nyko to replace it with the battery charger set thing. Hopefuly that crap doesn't explode.

I've already noticed the batteries it comes with have problems fitting in the controller properly.

The main reason intercoolers have been letting people down is because they've been breaking consoles. Any intercooler that plugs in between the power cord and the console is going to suck needed joules from the console.

The end result is that the processor doesn't have enough juice to correctly calculate commands. You get distorted graphics during play, corrupt game save files, (and on the xbox 360) the red ring of death.

The only way I know around this is to not use ANY cooling fan that will sap electricity from your console.

NOTE: These are regarding the xbox 360

Non-sappers
Nyko intercooler TS (Wall) (Rumored to be much quieter than the EX)

Sappers
Nyko intercooler EX (Console Power Cord)
Pelican Fan Stand (Console USB)
React Cooling Fan (Console Power Cord)

Don't Know
Psyclone Chillstation

Whisper max fan, internal fan. I'd never use a crappy external for my 360. I do have a neat one that is better than any retail one, but it's mainly for looks. I don't use it unless I want the lights on.

Ha seriously 2006? The only reason you should ever use one of these is if your console is in an extremely hot room that could over heat the system, or possibly if it was in a really tight spot that got no air at all.

[quote name='bardockkun']Arise old thread! ARISE![/quote]
Wow awesome.:lol: I think the general consensus now is that we all agree not to use one at all.

[quote name='Richlough']My 360 won't even turn on with my Intercooler attached to it anymore .
I get 3 red lights .[/QUOTE]

We were innocent then.

bread's done
Back