Which genre is better? JRPGs or WRPGs

[quote name='needler420']My X loved it I can barely stand it. Thought like I said I don't hate it I use to watch a little DBZ growing up and some adult swim anime.[/QUOTE]

Hm. As I said before, interesting.

Oh, no hard feelings on my part by the way. Just some heated debate is all. :cool:

[quote name='needler420']My X loved it I can barely stand it. Thought like I said I don't hate it I use to watch a little DBZ growing up and some adult swim anime.

All this new anime I know nothing of. 99% of all that stuff squarehead posts in the bragging rights sections I have no clue what that anime is. It's a little weird IMO. with the young girls and what not.

Hence where weeboo came from.[/QUOTE]

It's not weird.

Those girls are so kawaii!! ^__^

JRPG's, because:

1. The battle systems tend to be much more thoughtful and challenging, and thus much more enjoyable. Modern WRPG's have a bad habit of dumbing down their battle systems, and I'm not a fan of the D&D mechanics that were in the older WRPG's I've played.

2. WRPG's tend to sacrifice plot and character development for the sake of a richer sandbox. I like rich, intricate stories, so that's not a sacrifice worth making, in my opinion. Particularly, if a game leaves it up to the player to design every aspect of the main character and his/her backstory, which is often the case in WRPG's, the writers typically have little room to craft an involved narrative; the world might be thoroughly written, but I'm here to check out a story, not just a setting.

And as far as WRPGs' branching dialogues and storylines go, I'd rather see one thrilling narrative than a dozen average ones.

That said, there are certain JRPG's which dumb down their gameplay and stories too much (Final Fantasy XIII), and there are certain WRPG's that have a rich world and deep gameplay even without an interesting battle system or deep characters (Elder Scrolls series). And both subgenres are equally prone to cliches (JRPG's with their idealistic youths saving the world, and WPRG's with their medieval dragon-slaying knights), so what is written above was written with games in mind which successfully avoid those.

TL;DR: JRPG's because the stories and gameplay (battle systems) are usually a million times better, even without all of the sandbox-y features.

[quote name='whoknows']FFXIII is the best RPG this gen. Japanese or otherwise.[/QUOTE]

why would you do that?

fantastic thread btw

[quote name='whoknows']It's not weird.

Those girls are so kawaii!! ^__^[/QUOTE]
I like where this thread is going.

[quote name='The Crotch']The train has jumped the tracks and is now barreling through farmers' fields and I think someone turned out to be a giant fucking weeaboo.[/QUOTE]

tumblr_m7zoeflvha1qamx5k.gif

[quote name='needler420']It's funny how many of you either have a Japanese anime character as an avatar or a Japanese game character or nick name.[/QUOTE]

Yes I do, and that is because I loved Persona 3. It has good characters, a good story, and great combat IMHO.

[quote name='Josh1billion']TL;DR: JRPG's because the stories and gameplay (battle systems) are usually a million times better, even without all of the sandbox-y features.[/QUOTE]

I agree. I would rather have a linear story than wandering about an open world trying to figure out where to go next.

Okay I was going to post in this thread the other day and decided not to. Against my better judgment I'll step into the fray. For years my favorite genre was JRPG. Lately I've preferred many of the WRPG's.

As a fan of both genres, I think it's safe to say that "what's better" is best determined on a game by game basis. Certainly The Fallout 3 is MUCH better than The Last Remnant for instance so I don't think it's fair to say that "JRPG's are better than WRPG's" or vice versa.

This generation has seen an explosion in really good high quality WRPG's which is why I've sort of migrated away from the JRPG genre and for the current gen I'd say that WRPG's are superior in both number and average game quality.

The problem with WRPG's:
1. They can be a bit overwhelming when you first start one.
2. Because of the limitless freedom you're given, they're bug ridden.
3. If not done correctly, the combat becomes very boring.

The problems with JRPG's:
1. The story's of many of these games are almost identical and completely cliche.
2. Voice acting is almost never done right and is almost always horrible (in English) and they almost always have some stupid 7 year old girl that talks like she's 3. Maybe this is popular in Japan but most American's find it annoying. I'm sorry, I don't want to take a small girl with me into a dungeon full of zombies and guys summoning 12 headed hydras that cause asteroids to fall onto the battlefield.
3. The final bosses are fucking retarded. I don't need to fight the same dude a million times in different forms until he finally says something stupid like, "NOW YOU SEE MY TRUE NATURE!", oh really, you've been some kind of giant building monster this whole time and no one knew? Why exactly didn't you just stomp all over the planet years ago? No one could have stopped you. Also, why not just jump straight to that final fight?
4. Many have random battles which is fine but after decades of these games I have a low tolerance for dungeons that have super high numbers of random encounters where you have one every third step almost (I'm looking at you Lost Odyssey).

As far as my favorite JRPG's this generation (rated from best to worst of the one's I've played):
1. Tales of Vesperia (best JRPG since the SNES)
2. Lost Odyssey (too many random encounters - awesome story)
3. Blue Dragon (annoying children but sold traditional JRPG)
4. Final Fantasy 13-2 (stupid at times but fun)
5. Final Fantasy 13 (Doesn't quite live up to the name Final Fantasy)
6. Enchanted Arms (note, many people hate this for the shallow reason that there is a gay character in it.)
7. Magna Carta 2 (starts out shit but turns into something great)
8. Infinite Undiscovery (I ended up enjoying this more than expected by the end)
9. Eternal Sonata (has a pompous anime style ending sans the "Congratulations")
10. Phantasy Star Universe (story mode is an advertisement to pay them to play)
11. Star Ocean 4 (I've never seen a game with such a predictable cliched storyline, annoyingly long and dumb dungeons such as space ships that are 90% corridor and 10% usable space (what engineer would design such a thing?), this has terrible acting, You spend too long on individual worlds, and the final dungeon is a pain)
12. The Last Remnant (This game is pure ass. The story is so copy/pasted from other games that you can almost quote the words before they say them. When they actually say the words, they voice acting is so bad it makes characters in Star Wars episodes 1-3 look like Patrick Stewart. This game has really dumb dungeons that you go to repeatidly for side quests but oh wait, they opened a new passage that was somehow not there last time you visited! Finally, this game game has what must be the absolute worst system for upgrading characters I've ever seen. The system involves so much luck that some of your guys end up having shit weapons even though you have some truly great things that they COULD be using.)
***Notes***
I could have included Costume Quest in here due to it's direct influence by the genre and if I were to include it, I would put it above Final Fantasy 13-2.
I have not yet played Valkryia Chronicles -waiting on it to be $10.
I own but have not yet played Tales of Graces F.
I own but have no yet played Xenoblade.
I plan on getting The Last Story when it's $20 or less.
Ni No Kuni is coming out soon and I expect that will rank high.

As far as my favorite WRPG's this generation (rated from best to worst of the one's I've played):
1. Skyrim (do I really need to explain it?)
2. Dragon Age Origins (this is simply fantastic)
3. Fallout 3 (this thing grips you from birth...)
4. Mass Effect (great game though I'm not sure I would call parts 2 and 3 a WRPG)
5. Fable (Good story, good fun, annoying gargoyles)
6. Oblivion (old but damn good none-the-less)
7. Dragon Age 2 (This is half the game it should have been but it's still decent and cheap to buy.)
8. Deus Ex: Human Revolution (I debated putting this one on here since it's so different from the more traditional RPG's but it's worth a play through for almost anyone and a throw back to the original in so many great ways I had to include it).
9. Fable 2 (subpar but worth a single play through)
10. Borderlands (didn't play multiplayer so didn't think it was anything special)
11.Two Worlds (this is REALLY bad but the low budget it was made under gives it a unique quality. It doesn't take itself seriously at all. The devs basically said, "Yeah we know this game is shit so lets just roll with it".)
12.Kingdom Under Fire: Circle of Doom (this was so bad I couldn't finish it and that's saying something)
***Note***
Bastion probably could have been included, if it were in the list I would have it above Mass Effect
I own but have no played Fallout New Vegas.
I own but have no played The Witcher 2.
I own but have no played Risen.
I own but have no played Risen 2.
I own but have no played Lord of the Rings: The War in the North.
I plan on getting Kingdoms of Amalur : Reckoning.
I might get Divinity 2.

Final thoughts, I've played A LOT of RPG's this generation and this generation has been bloated with WRPG's. While there are a significant number of JRPG's I haven't played, many of them are SRPG's which I have no interest in (though I am going to give Valkryia Chronicles the benefit of the doubt). If you look at the top two games on the lists, Skyrim and Tales of Vesperia, Skyrim is superior in MANY ways but ToV's advantages are the story which is focused yet not completely linear and the acting which is absolutely the best this generation for any JRPG's. The protagonist in Tales of Vesperia a fucking bad-ass who participates in vigilante justice and essentially murders people who he thinks deserves it (it's part of the story, not a player directed activity). So as a fan of both genre, I'd say they're roughly equal though it's much more difficult for JRPG developers to make a top tier game without at least some of the problems so common in them (Bad voice acting, over the top cliches, annoying emo protagonists, too many random encounters). I think people (including myself) generally give a pass to many of the bugs we experience in open world WRPG's because we know it's almost impossible for them to make contingencies for everything a person can do. That said, if there are too many issues the game will suffer and would not be at all playable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyFQVZ2h0V8

Last edited by a moderator:
(note, many people hate this for the shallow reason that there is a gay character in it rather than simply having dozens of closeted gays like most JRPG's. You guys need to move into the 21st century.)
Can you list the closet gay characters in other JRPGs? It's the only thing this thread is missing.

[quote name='panzerfaust']Can you list the closet gay characters in other JRPGs? It's the only thing this thread is missing.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure, are you saying gay people bother you? Are you a hater of that game?

[quote name='Blaster man']I'm not sure, are you saying gay people bother you? Are you a hater of that game?[/QUOTE]
You obviously haven't read the whole thread.

I'm just genuinely curious, it's an interesting statement to make. And you said "most JRPGs," so you should be able to post some examples.

[quote name='panzerfaust']I'm just genuinely curious, it's an interesting statement to make. And you said "most JRPGs," so you should be able to post some examples.[/QUOTE]

Mostly it was a joke because of the behavior of the characters often times seems like they are gay but haven't admitted it to themselves. I realize that they aren't supposed to be gay unlike the dude in Enchanted Arms. Sorry if I offended you by making a joke about JRPG characters not being able to accept their own sexuality...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dZtWzrCb4E

[quote name='whoknows']I didn't know people actually like Enchanted Arms.[/QUOTE]
Yes, I liked it. My wife watched me play it, we both thought it was pretty funny. It's obviously made to be more of a comedy.

"Man, I can't believe some people get offended by an openly gay character in a game. Grow up, people."

"I mean, all those other characters are flaming homos anyway, amirite?"

Stop saying that!

I know they're not gay because I can relate to them. Sometimes, I wonder if I was secretly watched and then put into a JRPG with a different name.

What gets me is out of that huge block of text I wrote about JRPG's and WRPG's, people chose to take that out and argue with me about it. How about I remove that part then you can move on?
Edit: Removed the second half of that. Now you can stop worrying about it.

[quote name='Blaster man']What gets me is out of that huge block of text I wrote about JRPG's and WRPG's, people chose to take that out and argue with me about it. How about I remove that part then you can move on?
Edit: Removed the second half of that. Now you can stop worrying about it.[/QUOTE]

Now I feel offended.

[quote name='Blaster man']
The problems with JRPG's:
1. The story's of many of these games are almost identical and completely cliche.
2. Voice acting is almost never done right and is almost always horrible (in English) and they almost always have some stupid 7 year old girl that talks like she's 3. Maybe this is popular in Japan but most American's find it annoying. I'm sorry, I don't want to take a small girl with me into a dungeon full of zombies and guys summoning 12 headed hydras that cause asteroids to fall onto the battlefield.
3. The final bosses are fucking retarded. I don't need to fight the same dude a million times in different forms until he finally says something stupid like, "NOW YOU SEE MY TRUE NATURE!", oh really, you've been some kind of giant building monster this whole time and no one knew? Why exactly didn't you just stomp all over the planet years ago? No one could have stopped you. Also, why not just jump straight to that final fight?
4. Many have random battles which is fine but after decades of these games I have a low tolerance for dungeons that have super high numbers of random encounters where you have one every third step almost (I'm looking at you Lost Odyssey).[/QUOTE]

Which is why Lufia 1+2 are two of the best RPGs ever made. Story is good, voice acting is non-existent, 3) is handled well, and Lufia 2 doesn't have random battles in dungeons.

[quote name='Blaster man']Mostly it was a joke because of the behavior of the characters often times seems like they are gay but haven't admitted it to themselves. I realize that they aren't supposed to be gay unlike the dude in Enchanted Arms. Sorry if I offended you by making a joke about JRPG characters not being able to accept their own sexuality...[/QUOTE]

I'm bringing this up because you seem to have a backwards perspective on sexuality. I can't name a homosexual relationship in a JRPG off the top of my head, perhaps there are some in the Persona franchise, or if you really want to reach, Fang and Vanille from Final Fantasy XIII could be seen as a subtle one (more of a personal wish :bouncy:). But you say most JRPGs have them based on vague behavioral characteristics, which sounds impossible unless you are relying on pretty insensitive stereotypes.

People joke about JRPG characters being "gay" all the time based on nothing at all, it's dumb.

[quote name='Blaster man']What gets me is out of that huge block of text I wrote about JRPG's and WRPG's, people chose to take that out and argue with me about it. [/QUOTE]

I responded to that part because it was the only thing you wrote that anyone could really call you out on. Otherwise you've got a mess of opinions that aren't worth sorting through, trying to compare Tales of Vesperia to Skyrim based on specific and unrelated elements, like that's even possible. ToV has a better story than Skyrim? What the hell does that even mean? How do I respond to that?

Should I just disagree with your list and make my own? Shit's boring, and this thread is boring.

[quote name='panzerfaust']I'm bringing this up because you seem to have a backwards perspective on sexuality. I can't name a homosexual relationship in a JRPG off the top of my head, perhaps there are some in the Persona franchise, or if you really want to reach, Fang and Vanille from Final Fantasy XIII could be seen as a subtle one (more of a personal wish :bouncy:). But you say most JRPGs have them based on vague behavioral characteristics, which sounds impossible unless you are relying on pretty insensitive stereotypes.

People joke about JRPG characters being "gay" all the time based on nothing at all, it's dumb.

I responded to that part because it was the only thing you wrote that anyone could really call you out on. Otherwise you've got a mess of opinions that aren't worth sorting through, trying to compare Tales of Vesperia to Skyrim based on specific and unrelated elements, like that's even possible. ToV has a better story than Skyrim? What the hell does that even mean? How do I respond to that?

Should I just disagree with your list and make my own? Shit's boring, and this thread is boring.[/QUOTE]

Who cares if I say that some people in your favorite JRPG's are gay? Even if I really believe they're meant to be gay, why does it bother you so much? It's a video game character and honestly, you have no idea what went on inside the minds of the writers anymore than I do. If it bothers you so much that they're gay then keep living in denial. :)

As far as your comment that there is no way to compare ToV to Skyrim, considering that's kind of what the thread is about....sure, okay?

[quote name='panzerfaust']I'm bringing this up because you seem to have a backwards perspective on sexuality. I can't name a homosexual relationship in a JRPG off the top of my head, perhaps there are some in the Persona franchise, or if you really want to reach, Fang and Vanille from Final Fantasy XIII could be seen as a subtle one (more of a personal wish :bouncy:). But you say most JRPGs have them based on vague behavioral characteristics, which sounds impossible unless you are relying on pretty insensitive stereotypes.

Should I just disagree with your list and make my own? Shit's boring, and this thread is boring.[/QUOTE]

The only gay character in video games that comes to mind is from a WRPG which is mass effect. I remember all the controversy from it. It was almost as big as the GTA controversy. I forget if it was gay or like a shemale or whatever.

Not that a characters sexuality matters in a game. As long he isn't flamboyant. Then I just won't buy it.

A character's sexuality matters in a game when that is what the game is about (see: Bayonetta, Catherine) or if it pertinent to their character arc (see: Planescape Torment, that one guy in that one Persona game). Besides that,
I forget if it was gay or like a shemale or whatever.
holy shit where am i what is this help

Last edited by a moderator:
I turn to games for its larger than life qualities. I think JRPG does that better than WRPG.
However, technically speaking, I think JRPG is also very heavily inspired by Tolkien so it all comes full circle more or less

Both suck for their own reasons.

JRPGs suck because the story/characters usually are awful, grinding isn't meaningful and boring, you can't customize your dude much or barely (sticking materias in your sword isn't that interesting), and nothing you do feels like it matters. You're playing the game for the experience rather than the journey.

WRPGs suck because they'd prefer to be clunky and obtuse than polished and concise. They are polar opposites to JRPGs by having interesting characters, not a lot of grinding, tons of customization (paperdolls own), stats and stuff like that. You play the game for the journey and progression rather than to experience the story. See: roguelikes from which these evolved from.

I do generally really enjoy both but I usually find myself leaning towards Jrpgs a bit more. There is something to be said for structure vs. open world-I often get bored with games like Fallout & Oblivion/Skyrim long before I theoretically should because for the most part they lack a tight narrative that really drives the story along, which is something Jrpgs generally have no problem with. Also, while I do love me some Mass Effect & Dragon Age, those games seem to be almost ashamed to be rpgs., getting more and more away from those aspects with each follow-up. I mean Dragon Age 3 supposedly has multi-player? I'm not even sure I want to know how they will shoehorn that bs in. Bottom line is I really do enjoy both and will continue to enjoy them.

bread's done
Back