Which has better drums - RB2 or GH:WT?

Nightfall

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
That's the main reason I'm going to be getting one of these games. I played Rock Band 1 a few times, but I''m going to buy one of these for myself now. I'm looking for people's thoughts on why one game would be better than the other.

There has some discussion about this in each of the respective game's threads, but I thought this would be easier.

I think until someone gets it into their homes, this won't be well-known. I do know that the demo units are getting KILLED. I've been to two BB location already, and the orange cymbal is consistently broken. Then again, the RB1 pads also got killed by the general, noob public...so I dunno.

Was wondering which drum set is better for PS3, RB2or GH:WT? I know there have been problems with both, but which has had a higher success rate in terms of working well or not?

GH:WT's drums seem to have more rampant problems compared to RB2's. At least with RB2 it's more easy to fix if you find the information as well, but with GH:WT if it's broken you can either pray your retailer will take it back or that Red Octane support will help (but right now that seems like a mixed bag). So as of now, RB2 drums.

I haven't seen any hard numbers on which has a higher success rate, but I can tell you from trying both I feel the GH ones are much better.

Considering the GH:WT drums are considered a Microphone in Rock Band on PS3...I'd suggest going with the Rock Band drums.

Rock Band 2 drums+World Tour Guitar is the best combination right now. Hopefully Neversoft will patch world tour to allow you to use the cymbal add ons for the RB2 drums and play with 5 lanes.

does anybody have any experience with the ion drumset?

thinking about picking one up, since it's compatible with dtxmania for the PC and my RB drums broke.

as for guitar, i still use the Xplorer =)

[quote name='kainzero']does anybody have any experience with the ion drumset?

thinking about picking one up, since it's compatible with dtxmania for the PC and my RB drums broke.

as for guitar, i still use the Xplorer =)[/quote]
Everyone on the Rock Band forums seem to swear by it. Though small reports/complaints of the foot pedal, people still say if you love these games, it's the best way to go.

I've spent a few hours on the World Tour drums, and I have to say that I'm not a big fan. My biggest problems are that the legs are a little wobbly and the cymbols are terribly designed as far as placement goes. Also, aesthetically, they are good looking from the side; sitting down in front of them, they are uuuugly. The set is primarily flat black plastic.

I'm a fan of the RB2 drumset, and the fact that the cymbols are much, much more configurable with regards to height, I'd say go with those. The only advantage that the GHWT set has is that the drum heads are, comparitively, whisper quiet.

And, as I've said in one of my blog posts, I feel that the RB2 Guitar is the clear winner with the battle of the axes. This is also coming from a guy who loathed the RB1 guitar.

GHWT Drums I choose, although in Rock Band feels weird. Really Everything is a mess, but I choose GHWT because I can plug my edrums in it. They are stronger and more solid then the RB ones, but pedal does suck.

Can we use our own drum kit on either of these games?

Drummania supports this feature. I was able to use a Roland kit with that game :cool:

I played with the GH:WT drums at Best Buy and thought they were terrible. I prefer the RB1 drums to them

[quote name='Deefuzz']I played with the GH:WT drums at Best Buy and thought they were terrible. I prefer the RB1 drums to them[/quote]

I had a similar experience with GH set at mine, maybe it's just a personal preference. I couldn't out my finger on exactly why they felt awkward.

Seeing as how the GHWT drums have been getting torn apart for sucking and Activision even came out and said they f'ed their drums up I would go with RB 2. The rb 1 drums werent band

Being a drummer for 10 years, I thought I would weigh my two cents on this topic. I have played both versions in the past week (I bought rock band 2 SE, friend bought guitar hero WT, both for 360) I find both to have there +/-'s.

Rock band drums are solid, and have been improved from last version, if only slightly in problematic areas (reinforced pedal, better feeling pads, wireless). They work well and are very solid. If only they could get the feel down which leads me to...

Guitar Hero's drums, I was blown away. They feel great, the cymbal matching works really well, and it does remind me of playing a drum set more that rock band. But they had significant drawbacks. I was having tons of problems getting my hits to register, and after an hour of play we had discovered that one of the cymbals sensors were broken. It seems that in intense songs where multiple pads are hit simultaneously the problem was even worse. The support structure is also flimsier than the RB2 set, but that is really due to the free pedal design, but it was not that bad. My friends like the free pedal design with the velcro on the bottom, which i agree is a better design, but the pedal felt less like a real drum pedal than RB's.

After playing the guitar hero drums, its hard to want to go back to the rock band set. But after playing the GH drums for two nights with the issues I was having I was glad to beat the game and not have to deal with the sensor issues anymore.

Hopefully the cymbal attachments for RB can re-spark my intrest in them, but I appreciate the RB set more because of the accuracy. In a game where streaks are what make or break your score, RB's set was definatly better. If only GH could fix the problems with the sensors they would beat RB out of the box hands down.

Has anyone else been experencing these problems with GHWT? You probably wouldnt unless you were playing on hard, or at least a hard song on medium. Let me know if you have.

[quote name='makstaks']Can we use our own drum kit on either of these games?

Drummania supports this feature. I was able to use a Roland kit with that game :cool:[/quote]
True dat, would love to use my Yamaha set so I could practice AND play.

just wanted to point out that today I noticed the GH drums' cymbols have their wire exposed outside of their arms. This could totally be problematic later on - especially if you transport your drums semi-frequently.

bread's done
Back