Which PS1, PS2 games should you NOT play on a PS3?

Nutts

CAGiversary!
Feedback
45 (100%)
To be more specific. Which older PS1, PS2 games have features (like rumble) that are important to the gameplay, where you probably wouldn't get the same experience by playing it on the PS3.

For example, Metal Gear Solid 2 used both rumble and the abiltiy to read your memory card which if played on the PS3, either may not work at all, or would not give you the full experience.

Another example would be Guitar Hero. Without being able to use the Guitar on the PS3, this game is pretty much useless to play on the PS3.

So what other games, (most interested in RPG's and AAA games) would you suggest playing on the original PS1, PS2 rather than playing on the PS3?

I'll see about coming up with a list, since I've tested numerous RPGs from my PS1/PS2, on my PS3:

Off the top of my head

Games that look fine on PS3:
Amplitude (although controls might be weird)
Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana
Atelier Iris 2: The Azoth of Destiny
DDR Extreme 2 (If you don't use the dance pad like me at times, runs great)
DDR SuperNOVA (If you don't use the dance pad like me at times, runs great)
Devil Kings
Gitaroo Man
Grandia Xtreme
Guilty Gear X2 (Other than pin stripe lines in intro, game looks perfect)
In The Groove (same as DDR)
King of Fighters 2006
Legaia 2: Duel Saga
Mega Man X8
PaRappa The Rapper 2
Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal
Samurai Warriors
Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
Shining Tears
Soul Calibur II
Splashdown: Rides Gone Wild
Star Ocean: Till The End of Time
Suikoden Tactics
Suikoden IV
Suikoden V
Tekken 5
Wild Arms 3
Xenosaga Episode III
Zone of the Enders

Games that don't look fine on PS3:
.Hack//G.U.
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy XII
Grandia III (The battle gauge is VERY pixelated)
Kingdom Hearts 2
Xenosaga Episode I
Xenosaga Episode II (text becomes almost unreadable at points)

Games that can go either way:
Ace Combat 5 (May appear a tad more jagged, but still looks better than PSP version of AC X)
Ape Escape 3
Castlevania: LoI
Dragon Quest VII (may not be as clean, but still good)
Okami
Suikoden III (Did not compare to PS2 after I tried PS3, but a tad more jagged)
Tales of the Abyss (text and main menu may appear a tad pixelated)
Wild Arms 4 (same problem as TotA)
Wild Arms: Alter Code F (Jaggies around thin, long edges, in some towns, but that's it).

I'm not going to list PS1 games. Out of the ones I did try, I only came across minor graphical issues in FFVII, FFVIII, Lunar 2, etc. that don't really hurt the game. Just don't play a music/dance simulation or any game that requires precise timing on PS3 (or even PS2), because the analog buttons register at a different time.

I can add Activision Anthology and Capcom classics to the "looks fine list" as well.

I experienced no issues running either on my HDTV w/HDMI cabled PS3.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']I'll see about coming up with a list, since I've tested numerous RPGs from my PS1/PS2, on my PS3:

Games that don't look fine on PS3:
Final Fantasy XII

[/QUOTE]

Can someone elaborate on this for me?

[quote name='UnderwaterMadman']Can someone elaborate on this for me?[/QUOTE]
Just looks a little worse. Seriously nothing to worry about. I only notice it during CG cutscenes.

[quote name='whoknows']Just looks a little worse. Seriously nothing to worry about. I only notice it during CG cutscenes.[/QUOTE]

All righty thats somewhat of a relief, I didn't want to have to hook my PS2 back up and buy one of the memory card adapters.

PSOne originally didnt include a rumble controller. However in MGS you can get a "massage" with the rumble.

[quote name='whoknows']How many times have you posted that link? And the people there aren't saying ALL games look bad, there is a small list in the first post.[/quote]

I posted this link at least 4 times, have a problem with that?

Small list?
Final Fantasy XII - 480i only game - the worst of the worst
Final Fantasy X - 480i only game
Final Fantasy X-2 - 480i only game
Metal Gear Solid 2 - 480i only game
Metal Gear Solid 3 - 480i only game
Metal Gear Solid 3: Substinence - 480i only game
Virtua Fighter 4 - 480i only game
Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution - 480i only game
Dragon Quest VIII - 480i only game
WWE Smackdown! vs. RAW 2007 - 480i only game
Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition - 480i only game
Time Splitters 2 - 480i only game
Time Splitters: Future Perfect - 480i only game
Mark of Kri - 480i only game
Kingdom Hearts - 480i only game
Kingdom Hearts 2 - 480i only game
ICO - 480i only game
YS: The Ark of Napishtim - 480i game
God of War - 480p able - turning on progressive scan in game options solves the problem
Resident Evil 4 - 480p able - turning on progressive scan in game options solves the problem
Resident Evil: Outbreak - 480i only game
Mortal Kombat: Armageddon - 480p able - turning on progressive scan in game options solves the problem
Transformers - 480i only game
Legacy of Kain 2 - 480i only game
Silent Hill 3 - 480i only game
Silent Hill 4 - 480i only game
Rogue Galaxy - 480i only game
We Heart Katamari - 480i only game
Shining Force Neo - 480i only game
DBZ: Budoki Tenkaichi - 480i only game
Whiplash - 480i only game
Ace Combat 5 - 480i only game
Winning Eleven 7 - 480i only game
Winning Eleven 8 - 480i only game
Ratchet & Clank: Deadlocked - 480p able - turning on progressive scan in game options solves the problem
Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal - 480p able - turning on progressive scan in game options solves the problem
Xenosaga Episode 1 - 480i only game
Xenosaga Episode 2 - 480i only game
Dark Cloud - 480i only game
Dark Cloud 2 - 480i only game
Shadowhearts: From the New World - 480i only game

Indeed... but like most things... beauty is in the eye of the beholder :whistle2:D

I have played FF12 on the PS3, and while it has some issue with the background jaggies... it doesn't look horrible.... even at 480i only....

Considering I play Front Mission 3 on my PS3 (enjoy it thoroughly, btw)... I don't think I'm one to judge "good" v. "poor" quality visuals on PS2 games via the PS3. :)

From what I've seen of the list, and comparing my stack of games next to my Ps3... I'd say the list isn't so horrible.... :)

But that's just me.... I'm not a fanboy obsessed with defending the good name of Sony or Microsoft in the face of haters. :) The Romans had a saying... "On matters of taste, there is no argument".... or something like that.

[quote name='oasisboy']I posted this link at least 4 times, have a problem with that?

Small list?[/quote]Compared to how many PS3 games there are in the in the NA market, around 600+. I'd say that's pretty good, compared to only around 20% of games actually working on your console (like the case with Xbox 360, where at least the PS3 will play everything, although everything isn't perfect).

I mean, if we set down and looked at them all I'm sure most of them would have the same pixel flipping/graphic issues. But that "small list" was made by normal PS3 owners who took the time to test their personal games they own to confirm. So of course the list is small, no one owns every PS2 game.

If the ones that a majority of people actually own and play look bad... Well I think that is what the issue should be focused on. Anyway, and update is coming soon 1/24, and hopefully it will improve things.

Is there a reason these look worse on a PS3? I saw one list where it looked like 480i was the problem. Does the PS2 make these games look better somehow?

Also, does anyone know of any games that have different game mechanics, like a unique use of rumble that is lost when playing them on the PS3?

I put in 80 hours of FFXII on my PS3, and only noticed issues during cutscenes (and even then, only intermittently). Even then, I have confidence that Sony will fix this issue with a firmware update - they *need* to, in order to boost consumer confidence in the PS3 brand.

Give up your feigned outrage for how PS2 games look; you'll possibly find some time to play Panzer Dragoon Orta on your 360, kids. ;)

[quote name='kittycatgirl2k']They all look like arse.[/QUOTE]

Someday people are going to realize that upscaling isn't the temple of the sun its made out to be. You can deinterlace a resolution and have it look better (480i-480p or 1080i to 1080p) but when you upscale from 480i to 1080p, well jesus, what do you expect. Its not actually changing what the game is outputting, its just forcing it to run at a ridiculously high res. Upscaling=bad. Native=good!

The problem occurs no matter what resolution you have your PS3 set to -- it's not a result of scaling 480i to 1080i/p.

While I definitely want Sony to fix the issue, so far it's not *nearly* as big a deal for me as many make it out to be. I'm playing FF12 on the PS3 and I think it looks fine. Perhaps if you did a side-by-side comparison with the PS2 you'd see a difference, but it's not like the thing is unplayable or anything.

[quote name='mykevermin']Give up your feigned outrage for how PS2 games look; you'll possibly find some time to play Panzer Dragoon Orta on your 360, kids. ;)[/QUOTE]

Why does it seem that every defense of how bad PS2 games look on it ends up being a 360 bash? PS/PS2 games shouldn't look worse on PS3 than PS2. The fact that not that many games are BC on 360 doesn't change this fact or make it better.

[quote name='pinoy530']Why does it seem that every defense of how bad PS2 games look on it ends up being a 360 bash? PS/PS2 games shouldn't look worse on PS3 than PS2. The fact that not that many games are BC on 360 doesn't change this fact or make it better.[/QUOTE]

It's for the same reason that when Sega announces Virtua Fighter 5 is coming to the 360, we get 1000's of fanboys claiming this is the end of the PS3. (Or more recently, the promotional poster for a 20% discount at one store for a PS3...) People come out of the woodwork to bash what they don't have, I guess. :roll:

I have both and will enjoy this generation quite nicely, no matter which console gets what. :) I am less concerned about BC on the 360, as little as I am concerned about some scaling problems with PS2 games... but that's just me... :D

It'll be a while before we have an intelligent, reasoned discussion about any issue that comes up with these consoles.... and even then, there'll be the last holdout who didn't get the memo... :lol:

If the OP actually OWNED a PS3, he would know how the PS3 deals with PS2 memory cards and controller ports. MGS2 plays fine. It reads the cards like a PS2 would.

Are you just trying to troll here by pimping your sig with the 360 blog?

And KH2 looks fine on my 51" HDTV on my PS3. Sure, I can see pixels and texture stetching, but that was always there, some games just weren't meant to be scrutinized like that.

Update 1.5 has corrected the image issues on my own PS2 games! We'll need more people to test more out (and i'm going to do some more) but it seems Sony has fix things and there should be NO problems viewing any older games any more.

I'll look at KH2 right now. 60% downloaded. I didn't have an issue with the graphics before, but we'll see what it "Should" look like.

Other reports are people experiencing a static hiss in some games, possibly related to memory cards.

Edit:
Jesusfuck! Kingdom Hearts 2 looks awesome now. MUCH clearer. That's not to say the original looked bad, but it was pixelated. Now, the text is incredibly clear and the... wow. Yeah, okay. I guess I see what was wrong. Totally awesome news.

[quote name='Rusty Ghia']Does Tomba! 1 one work on the PS3? It didn't work on the PS2.[/QUOTE]

This was actually one of the very first games I tried out when I got my PS3 back in Nov. It works like a charm. :) And the game is so much fun, my "test" turned into about 2 hours of playing it.

I was happy to see they improved b/c in this case from what the PS2 did. I guess now I need to test out the FF that had issues before - it was one of the ones in either Anthologies or Chronicles...anyone remember which one? Was it FF6? Something about the save screen I think...

Wow, I can say the problems are definitely fixed. When I first got my Rogue Galaxy demo, I popped it in the PS3 first but it looked really rough so I played it in my PS2. I now have 2 copies of the demo, so I put one in the PS3 (after updating, of course) and one in the PS2, both connected to the same tv. I switched back & forth several times between inputs, and the game looks identical on both systems now.

Bravo Sony! :applause:

[quote name='darkrage']Im just stilled pissed my PS2 games look like PS1.5 on my PS3. And I don't think Sony is ever going to fix it.[/quote]

Someone has to eat those words now :) How ironic that we got numerous posts like this right before it happened. Looks like it took a little over 2 months which is about what i figuired. I was figuiring they would have all the major bugs worked out in about 3-4 months.

HDMI still an issue for some people?

Pop N Music, Guitar Freaks, Para Para Paradise, Drummania, Keyboardmania, Beatmania IIDX

all require special controllers and aren't that fun to play with a standard controller.

[quote name='NamPaehc']IGN has article and video confirming the update his corrected things. If your one who needs visual proof and links and all that. :p[/quote]
Damn, if Sony would have done this at the start I wouldn't have sold my launch day 20gb PS3 for $700 on craigslists. I guess I should seriously consider upgrading to a PS3 now.

So what is the PS3 exactly doing to get the PS2 games to look better. Is it now displaying all BC games at 480p?

[quote name='MadFlava']So what is the PS3 exactly doing to get the PS2 games to look better. Is it now displaying all BC games at 480p?[/quote]

Offically, Sony hasn't said but I read this quote from a guy who said he worked for Sony or something:

"The problem is with games that use native 512 pixel wide format screens, when that is upconverted to 640 the filter is not sufficiently good. It's like if you load a 512 pixel bitmap in MS Paint, and stretch it to 640 it looks like crap.

So Sony is adding a better filter for that and it'll be fixed very soon."

[quote name='Brian9824']Someone has to eat those words now :) How ironic that we got numerous posts like this right before it happened.[/quote]

This issue should have never happened in the 1st place. At least they fixed this. Shouldn't Sony give us credit for a free ps2 game for making us suffer with the ps2 games running on the ps3? At least a coupon for $10 off for God of War 2 :lol:

[quote name='oasisboy']This issue should have never happened in the 1st place. At least they fixed this. Shouldn't Sony give us credit for a free ps2 game for making us suffer with the ps2 games running on the ps3? At least a coupon for $10 off for God of War 2 :lol:[/QUOTE]

There are a number of things that you can say "should never have happened in the first place" with regards to any system's capabilities at launch. Get over yourself, and be glad that they managed to get this taken care of within two months of the console's availability.

bread's done
Back