White Knight Chronicles - Level 5's Groundhog Day Present - February 2, 2010 in NA

Wow, that looks really good. I guess it's a take off on FF12 style combat - I recall an an earlier trailer being more reminiscent of Oblivion with multiple characters. I only hope that Level-5 brings back the geoforming from Dark Cloud 2 into this or one of their other new projects.

this game is nice... can't wait to play it. So far I have to say its a day one purchase. Pending nothing catastropic happens with the game (i.e. forced to walk around using sixaxis only).

New Images:
0a6216b71fdbfff1cce720d77ff3836e20080523223908.jpg

5297b19fead353f2d62cace3db28f69720080523223845.jpg
More here:
http://www.ps3forums.com/showthread.php?t=141030

Er, sorry about the short post above, hit post a bit too early.

What I mean to add was, hopefully this comes out this year.

Any word on multiplayer? It looks like the combat is real-time, but slower paced. I could see other friends in the room just picking up a controller to help in combat, it'd be great for gaming couples.

My main concern is that this game will be just another typical JRPG plot, which I'm pretty tired of.

I could see this coming out in fall in Japan and maybe March/April next year?

I don't know if it's far enough along to come out for XMas here.

[quote name='Vanigan']Er, sorry about the short post above, hit post a bit too early.

What I mean to add was, hopefully this comes out this year.

Any word on multiplayer? It looks like the combat is real-time, but slower paced. I could see other friends in the room just picking up a controller to help in combat, it'd be great for gaming couples.

My main concern is that this game will be just another typical JRPG plot, which I'm pretty tired of.[/quote]

I've got my fingers crossed. This would be awesome for me to play with the fiance. It sucks that no one is interested in making local multiplayer games anymore.

Thanks for digging up the thread Frisky. I knew there was one somewhere, but could not find it (I had another one started).

Yeah, I figured it would be out in December.

I'm a little concerned that the game comes out in few months, yet still has almost nothing to show for it. It's either going to be utterly spectacular or a mild disappointment.

And I say mild because this game is barely on the radar for RPG fans let alone the public at large.

[quote name='gunm']I'm a little concerned that the game comes out in few months, yet still has almost nothing to show for it. It's either going to be utterly spectacular or a mild disappointment.

And I say mild because this game is barely on the radar for RPG fans let alone the public at large.[/QUOTE]Level 5 has gone silent about this and DQIX. I kind of figured something was up at Level 5. It should be fine, I think they just decided to stay out of the public eye until it was almost finished.

http://kotaku.com/5050930/white-knight-chronicles-officially-dated-for-japan

The Level 5 developed PS3 exclusive White Knight Chronicles has finally been dated: The game will be released in Japan on December 25, 2008. The RPG follows the relationship between a girl and a hero named Lenard who transforms into the White Knight. In an interview with Famitsu, Level 5's Akihiro Hino states that "game development isn't over yet" and "this is the biggest game Level 5 has ever developed." About the PS3, Hino added:
This is the first, big RPG that the PS3 has been waiting for.
New White Knight Chronicles screens below.

Chronicles

Looks like a release date is being confirmed for Christmas Day.

What has been the localization turn around time for Level 5's games in the past? Its nice to see it coming out finally; however I would hate another year after that of translation for them to bring it over.

[quote name='AdvOfJet']What has been the localization turn around time for Level 5's games in the past? Its nice to see it coming out finally; however I would hate another year after that of translation for them to bring it over.[/quote]

Seems to vary, Dark Cloud 2 was in JP Nov 2002 and US Feb 2003. Rogue Galaxy was JP Dec 2005 and US Jan 2007. Dates from wikipedia so don't kill me if they're off.

the gameplay has me slightly worried since it seems slow paced and seemed like it was the same combo over and over...like final fantasy xii with more actions basically. the cinematic video however makes me want the game lots. like 3d rogue galaxy characters and big mechas. damn.

http://www.psbeyond.com/news/New-White-Knight-details-emerge.955.html

Rumored features/details for the game:
Some new details about White Knight Chronicles have emerged, courtesy of Japanese gaming site Game-Star! Here's the gist of the article:

-Story should last 100 hours +
-Graphics will be at 1080P
-Dynamic battle system, allowing you to chose from the regular sized characters or transforming into the colossal white knight.
-Co-op gameplay over the PSN

With TGS right around the bend, expect a lot more from Level-5 on this Sony exclusive RPG. Check out the full Japanese article here
Though the article they linked to mentions none of these things.

Here's a quote from the Neogaf thread about online, which is supposedly confirmed at this point:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=338043
Online play is official now. Minor details available but here we go
The game consists of 3 major parts concerning online gameplay
Story Part
Live Part
Quest Part
The Story Part and Live Part are seamless and a Town Square is mentioned. Speculation here, but my guess is when you enter a city, you get transferred to a server or what not. Up to 16 avatars (players) can be in any given Town Square. From there, you can party up with up to 4 players to go questing and what not. Items can also be traded between players, though details aren't available yet.

It comes from Famitsu, I think. Oh, and something is mentioned about Native 1080p.

Still, having online co-op, or any co-op at all is a pretty big feature for a JRPG. Few, if any, RPGs have had online co-op, and few RPGs since Secret of Mana have had in depth co-op at all.

From the way it sounds so far, it seems like they're going with something similar to how Diablo handled things, a good single player story campaign, but also a robust online mode. Let's just hope it happens.

edit: Yes, I know there's stuff like Phantasy Star Online, the PSO/PSU as far as I can tell were very clunky and didn't have much story or production value.

Really hope this one makes it over to the US quickly. Also really hope that the game's actually good. This is easily one of my most wanted PS3 games.

Wow at the co-op.

It's like a Phantasy Star/MH kind of game then with more JPRG and less MMO aspects.

I would support all future JRPGs going co-op like this. They've been stale for a while.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/917/917959p1.html

The second trailer highlighted the recently-announced multiplayer features that White Knight Chronicles will boast. Apparently, the game will support four player online co-op and looks very much like a traditional MMORPG. Unfortunately, most of the trailer entailed a few characters standing around in a grassy field, emoting and dancing to their hearts' content, but a few segments of the trailer definitely looked interesting. Character customization was shown briefly and there were a very large number of options -- including facial structure and coloring -- to choose from.

Although I can't be sure, considering the trailer was shown in Japanese, it appears that you'll be able to customize and design your own combos and execute them in real-time during battle. Otherwise, the dance-happy team of heroes fought a few baddies and took down a large, club-wielding beast with no problem and the trailer switched gears to a handful of environmental shots.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3170558

Online Co-op details:
On the second day of the 2008 Tokyo Game Show, Sony Computer Entertainment held a press event to reveal the previously unseen cooperative four-player online mode for Level 5's upcoming PS3 role-playing epic White Knight Chronicles. As it turns out, when venturing online with others, you won't be controlling offline protagonist Leonard or any of the game's supporting cast -- rather, you'll take control of a custom-made avatar of your choosing. This character can be male or female, and their appearance is completely customizable. Surprisingly, you'll be asked to fashion your avatar even before embarking on the game's single-player adventure, as this character will provide a link between the two modes. Although you won't be allowed to draft this hero into your party until a few hours into the story, once they're available you can then freely transition between the offline and online modes while maintaining their experience, items, skills, and money.

While speaking with 1UP, Level 5 President Akihiro Hino revealed that some limitations will be placed on this online/offline sharing in order to maintain game balance. You won't be able to simply dive into the online game, amass a bevy of powerful spells and weapons, and then return to the single-player experience as a fully twinked bad-ass. In fact, your progress in the offline game will determine what online quests and equipment are available for your perusal.

The nature of the online game appears to be quite similar to Phantasy Star Online or Monster Hunter -- up to 16 players can caucus in lobbies, divide themselves into four-person adventuring parties, and then choose among various quests. Although Level 5 isn't ready to say precisely how many quests will be available, "a huge number" have been promised, and Hino gave a strong indication that additional missions will be available as downloadable content.

In the various multiplayer video clips shown, players were clearly engaging in keyboard text chat and performing expressive animated gestures, but Level 5 remains silent on the possibility of including voice chat. A terse "to be determined" was the best that could be squeezed from the reticent creators.

While the possibility of a stone-silent online WKC experience may be a bitter pill for U.S. gamers to swallow, at least Level 5 appears to be progressive on another online front. When asked about the possibility of forging official White Knight Chronicle content for Little Big Planet, Hino hinted that while we probably won't see White Knight armor for Sack Boy, one of the game's bosses may make an appearance in Media Molecule's do-it-yourself platformer.

C'mon you japanese devs...... just add voice chat....

Sounds great though!
Wouldn't mind plugging in a keyboard.
Well, a BT one.

So long as it's better than that piece of trash called Infinite Undiscovery, I'll be happy. First game I've regretted buying in a long while.

Rent it first or borrow it. Maybe even get it once it's cheap/on sale, but I can't recommend the game to anyone. Everything about it felt very unpolished and lacking and I didn't care for the battle system and absolutely hated the voice acting/lip sync. By far it is the worst Tri-Ace game I've ever put my hands on. A friend of mine loved it though for reasons unknown.

If this game turns out that way, I will be one sad panda. However the multiplayer aspect can make even some shitty games so much better, so I don't think I'll have a problem with it.

Would be nice if they showed the screen more instead of the guy playing and just staring down, but looks and sounds great.

Aw. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but at least 1 US import store (NCSX) has received clearance from Japan suppliers for White Knight 360.

I'm still getting the PS3 version regardless, though. :p

[quote name='gunm']Aw. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but at least 1 US import store (NCSX) has received clearance from Japan suppliers for White Knight 360.

I'm still getting the PS3 version regardless, though. :p[/QUOTE]I think that was a mistake because Sony is publishing the game themselves.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']I think that was a mistake because Sony is publishing the game themselves.[/quote]

Actually it's just my mistake for reading it wrong. Basically, Japan game suppliers are simply opening pre-orders for the game now. I must've had my Xbox glasses on this morning. >_< Mondays. :p

JPN PSN Store has a video demonstrating live play. I can't wait for this game, and would totally pick up the import if my Japanese wasn't so bad.

There's something about this game that really gives off a "Final Fantasy X without the suck" vibe.

I can't say I'm liking the character models too much--something about the cherubness of the facial art style doesn't sit right with me--but overall the mo-cap, animations, enviroments, and monster/mecha designs are tops. Henshin!

Yeah, I'm already over all the anime looking characters. That visual style works for 2D and more illustrative art direction, but once you get more realistic lighting like this, you have to add in a few more realistic elements.

Anime style works in cell-shaded looking games like Naruto, Valkyria, and Tales, but there's something...I dunno...generic-looking or bland about these White Knight characters.

bread's done
Back