White Knight Chronicles - Level 5's Groundhog Day Present - February 2, 2010 in NA

I think it looks fine, maybe not perfect, but it certain isn't ugly in my opinion. I'm really looking forward to this game. Hopefully we won't have to wait too long for a US release.

[quote name='mykevermin']JPN PSN Store has a video demonstrating live play. I can't wait for this game, and would totally pick up the import if my Japanese wasn't so bad.

There's something about this game that really gives off a "Final Fantasy X without the suck" vibe.[/quote]
Hoping for a quick localization.

[quote name='dallow']Hoping for a quick localization.[/QUOTE]My gut feeling says it will come July 2009 at the earliest. That was about how long it took for Jeanne D'Arc to come stateside. Rogue Galaxy took over a year, but many changes were made. I definitely do not think translation will be quick.

I wonder how import friendly it is then.
If there's a GAF clan or something of fiesty importers, I may try to play with them. Doubt anyone would import here.

It appears that WKC might be further along in translation than many of us have known because:
NEW VIDEOGAME ROLES!

Listen for Wally as a Toad Guard and other characters in the forthcoming videogame "White Knight Chronicles!" Also listen for him as the cold, ruthless killer Spectre in the game "Stormrise." He'll also portray Yellowjacket and Multiple Man in the upcoming game "Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2!" In "Dragon Age" he'll play Prince Bhelen Aeducan. More info to come on all these terrific games!
http://www.wallyontheweb.com/leadingnews.html

That was from a voiceactor, so if they are about to record voices, that means the text has been translated. I heard somewhere they are aiming to release the game stateside by the fiscal year (meaning March 2009), so we'll see.

When he posts roles does that mean he just got the contract or he's actually recording now. I'd imagine they may sign him up a few months before the actual recording date. If this comes out in March we'll have killzone, infamous and WKC all within about a month (I assume infamous is still feb/march). Maybe fat princess too.

[quote name='happy']When he posts roles does that mean he just got the contract or he's actually recording now. I'd imagine they may sign him up a few months before the actual recording date. If this comes out in March we'll have killzone, infamous and WKC all within about a month (I assume infamous is still feb/march). Maybe fat princess too.[/QUOTE]Many were assuming (at PS3 forums and GAF) who found this figured translation must be done, if they are looking for voiceacting.

god i hope this game is good and gets here quick. Anyone else think that they coulda worked a bit more on the character models? I mean they just seem a lil bit uninspired (talking about the main character and such). The mech and monsters' designs seem pretty cool, its just the characters seem sorta just bland...maybe it's just me.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']People still listen to Famitsu? :whistle2:s[/quote]

Famitsu's problems have generally been seen as their softball reviews. That is, their problem lies in their ratings being higher than they should be (according to Western sentiments in video game reviews).

That they're rating a highly-anticipated game so low implies that something may be quite wrong with it.

For comparison:

Rogue Galaxy: 36/40
Dark Cloud 2 35/40

Now, RG and DQVIII were updated for their NA releases. So hopefully if the problems are fixable ones, they'll be cleaned up before they get here.

IMO, there's no way RG is better than DC2.

[quote name='pete5883']For comparison:

Rogue Galaxy: 36/40
Dark Cloud 2 35/40

Now, RG and DQVIII were updated for their NA releases. So hopefully if the problems are fixable ones, they'll be cleaned up before they get here.

IMO, there's no way RG is better than DC2.[/quote]

I loved Dark Cloud 2 even though i never finished it. What kind of problems did it have in the Japanese release that were fixed?

That kind of stinks, I wanted the online to be the better part. Hopefully they'll fix it before they release it here (the online team probably has little to do with the localization work, so it can be done during the same time frame).

Japan really doesn't know how to do online games, so that's not too surprising. Good to hear that the single-player part of the game is probably just fine, though.

Disappointing to hear about the online, but yeah if the single player is good, then it's easy for me to overlook. Still, there's a possibility that Sony could have Level 5 retool the online for the Western market. I mean, online gaming is a bigger deal here than in Japan.

As long as the single player is fine then no problem. I can't imagine too many people were getting it for the online anyways.

Hmm....so I take there's not going to be any voice chat? I don't know if I want to get this as a day1 purchase for me now. I was mainly looking forward to playing it online.

No word on voice chat, however considering how much trouble Sony went through to launch the official headset, I think we can assume Sony will mandate voice chat for at least the US and Euro release. If not, well then I won't even bother with the game. If they left out something like that, that means they'll leave out other important features from the gameplay.

[quote name='Thomas96']maybe they should have left the online portion out... this game imo didn't need that..[/quote]

You're probably right, but I'm still pretty interested to see how it works out.

I'm not a big fan of MMO's, mostly because of the cost and time commitment, but I was completely addicted to Phantasy Star Online for DC.

If it plays like that (it looks like it might be similar), I can definitely see myself spending some time online.

[quote name='reiji']You're probably right, but I'm still pretty interested to see how it works out.

I'm not a big fan of MMO's, mostly because of the cost and time commitment, but I was completely addicted to Phantasy Star Online for DC.

If it plays like that (it looks like it might be similar), I can definitely see myself spending some time online.[/quote]

If they could make it work like Phantasy Star, this would be a must buy. Anyone know if they could make such drastic changes to the multiplayer for the american version? I guess it depends on when it is released in american, but i was just wondering what the likelihood of it all would be. Would they make the multiplayer radically different from that of the japanese version and if they did wouldn't that just cause controversy ? I would be pretty pissed off if i was living in japan and got a gimped online mode compared to the usa version...and i know everyone thinks america is more geared towards multiplayer, but i mean its not like the japanese wouldn't want good multiplayer too (just look at how popular monster hunter is out there).

Not bad, not great, but not bad for a new JRPG releasing only in japan. If it can keep those sales up it'll be a success.

But Japanese developers and publishers really need a wake up call about multiplayer. My line of thinking is that they actually will make changes for the US version, if only because SCEA might step in and tell SCEJ not to bother releasing it here if they don't fix stuff, something like how Motorstorm 1 was handled.

Not bad?
That's the highest first day sales of any "next-gen" JRPG so far. And one of the better first day sales of any PS3 game.

No doubt it needs legs, but so far, it's positive news.

Really? Well then cool. Now is the game any good? I don't take the famitsu review seriously, but it does bring up some points.

Do you know the numbers for other current gen RPGs on the PS3 and 360? I've been wondering about the market for RPGs on each.

[quote name='Vanigan']Really? Well then cool. Now is the game any good? I don't take the famitsu review seriously, but it does bring up some points.

Do you know the numbers for other current gen RPGs on the PS3 and 360? I've been wondering about the market for RPGs on each.[/quote]
Some other first day sales, all 360 obviously since PS3 RPGS are scarce. ;)

ToV - 70k + 10k bundles
IU - 70k
TLR - 79k
BD - 43k
LO - 40k

Considering WKC is somewhat unknown, I don't even know who is developing it, doing that well is a good sign for PS3 owners and the JRPG market. No doubt that a majority of those JRPGs that went 360 first will be coming to the PS3 once the timed exclusivity deals are over.

WKC's reception in the US, at least critically, may be tied to how well they handle the online portion in the US. We're big into online gaming here, and a good co-op RPG with a story is a great way to get people interested.

[quote name='Vanigan']Considering WKC is somewhat unknown, I don't even know who is developing it, doing that well is a good sign for PS3 owners and the JRPG market. No doubt that a majority of those JRPGs that went 360 first will be coming to the PS3 once the timed exclusivity deals are over.

WKC's reception in the US, at least critically, may be tied to how well they handle the online portion in the US. We're big into online gaming here, and a good co-op RPG with a story is a great way to get people interested.[/QUOTE]

PS3 (no 360... I think) has a online RPG game, so WKC could be great in the US if the online portion if good... I hope they get it right.

I liked the way XII played, I just didn't care for the story much. I'd like to see Level 5 do a PSN strategy/RPG like Jeanne d'arc next.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']A lot of people who've seen/played this says it reminds them of FF12... :cry:[/quote]

Looking at your avatar, your post makes me quite excited for this game.

[quote name='FloodsAreUponUS']This game still looks like uninspired crap.

I have no reason to want to play this.

Find me a reason.[/quote]
No.

It's a bit premature for anyone outside Japan to be looking for reasons to play, or not to play the game.

Best to wait until it's localized and the feature set is finalized for the US and Euro release. And even then we'll have to see what more Western reviewers think of it.

212k copies sold in 3 days. Top selling next gen RPG. Its already sold over 85% of its shipment in japan. Looks like its going to do rather well for itself!

[quote name='blitz6speed']212k copies sold in 3 days. Top selling next gen RPG. Its already sold over 85% of its shipment in japan. Looks like its going to do rather well for itself![/quote]
Oh wow. :)

bread's done
Back