Who has ever spent too much money on games ?

KingDox

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Today I picked up Xyanide for the xbox, it cost me 20 bucks and when I paid for it I thought how easily I could aford this 20 buck game. Thanks to my decent paying job I can enjoy most of the CAG deals that I want.

It also made me think about how young males are the usually the target of games and how sometimes the young tend to go over board when it comes to spending.

Thankfully my game habbit hasn't gotten so far that I can't pay my bills, but I'm sure some of us have gotten caried away and spent too much money on games then we should have.

Has anyone here spent too much money on games ? Maybe you paid 700 bucks for that xbox 360 on ebay or you just had to have that Japan PSX before it came out in the states.

I don't have a problem about spending too much on games, as I don't really buy that many. My problem is with wanting to spend more on getting more stuff for my 360. For example I really want the 70 dollar Live kit and the points to get the PGR3 packs, as well as SF2: Hyper Fighting and maybe a few other Arcade games

I may be apart of the minority of CAGers. I never have more than around 15-20 games in my posession at any given time. This excludes the 6 or 7 old old PC games I still have because they are classics (Dark Forces, Half Life, Curse of Monkey Island, Total Annihilation).

However, with my Xbox, DS, PS2, and 360 as of right now I have.....10 games total. I actually just traded in 9 the other day, but those have been on the auction block for a looooooong time and I have long lost interest in them.

When I was a kid, I got a imported Street Fighter 2 cart several months BEFORE it hit the US. I still own that cart too.

[quote name='Moxio']@OP.

Your question will have 90% of CAG answering yes. I mean, who needs more than, what, 50 games? Honestly?[/QUOTE]

*has 50 games a piece for four different systems with his DC having around 40*

I spent over $800 on my Xbox 360. Not like for it, but with all the games and crap I bought for it. I did however, use the money I got from my former school closing down while I was attending. So I didn't spend my life savings or bill money on it. I did get my girl a pair of diamond earrings with it too. She got diamonds and I got video games.

Dude, you don't even know. I have spent a lot more than I should...the catch-22 most of us are in here, we are cheap, but when we see a lot of games at cheap prices due to that cheapness we want to buy them. Sure, I have 10 times as many games as the next guy for the same money, but I still spent that money!

Ever since joining CAG and getting a decent job my game collection has almost tripled, most of the games being cheap and half-good. I'm starting to trim it down a little, but yeah, I have spent too much money on games.

[quote name='Paco']When I was a kid, I got a imported Street Fighter 2 cart several months BEFORE it hit the US. I still own that cart too.[/QUOTE]

Nice! I bet that was expensive but I'll be damned if you weren't the most popular kid in school for a time :) Around $100 maybe?

Not necessary spending to much, but I have been caught up in the CAG deals before and ended with way to many games. I have about 48 games right now, thanks to the last round of trade in specials and some serious downsizing. About half of them I haven't played yet.

[quote name='KingDox']Thankfully my game habbit hasn't gotten so far that I can't pay my bills, but I'm sure some of us have gotten caried away and spent too much money on games then we should have.[/QUOTE]
Wow, that's bad. Sounds like you have an addiction. Seek help ;)

[quote name='Apossum']Nice! I bet that was expensive but I'll be damned if you weren't the most popular kid in school for a time :) Around $100 maybe?[/quote]
Actually it was more like $120. 130-140$ if you factor in tax, shipping and whatnot back then.

And yes. People did come to my house to freeload the greatness that was Street Figther 2 :lol:

Oh yeah.

I also have around 220+ games Though to be fair. Around half of those are genesis games. Though to be more on the side of craziness, most of those are expensive rpgs and a good amount of them are complete.

[quote name='Paco']Actually it was more like $120. 130-140$ if you factor in tax, shipping and whatnot back then.

And yes. People did come to my house to freeload the greatness that was Street Figther 2 :lol:

Oh yeah.

I also have around 220+ games Though to be fair. Around half of those are genesis games. Though to be more on the side of craziness, most of those are expensive rpgs and a good amount of them are complete.[/QUOTE]

and worth every penny...SF2 for the Snes was quite possibly the most excited I've ever been for any game ever...maybe rivaled by Mortal Kombat 2 for the Snes (when they actually kept the blood in.)

I've spent too much money on games, whether it be just one or an accumlative amount. Hopefully I'll get a lot back when I sell most of it off on ebay.

I'm trying to limit the amount of games I buy for my 360 and PSP. On my Xbox and GameCube, I had so many games that I got cheap that I never actually put some of them into the system. I'm trying to resist buying FarCry on the 360, but because it's $25 and I want something else to play, I might cave in even though Rainbow Six Vegas, NBA 2K7, Gears of War and a few others will be out in a couple months. Oh well, I'll probally pick it up in a couple days.

[quote name='Moxio']@OP.

Your question will have 90% of CAG answering yes. I mean, who needs more than, what, 50 games? Honestly?[/QUOTE]

I know lots of CAG members have a ton of games. I have a ton of games too, but they have never been a financial drag on me. I was wondering who has overspent on games, and I'm not talking about kids who spend 50 bucks on State of Emergency. I'm talking way too much on games to the point they had to eat ramen for week.

[quote name='KingDox']I know lots of CAG members have a ton of games. I have a ton of games too, but they have never been a financial drag on me. I was wondering who has overspent on games, and I'm not talking about kids who spend 50 bucks on State of Emergency. I'm talking way too much on games to the point they had to eat ramen for week.[/QUOTE]

I'm that way with DVDs. I wasn't eating ramen for a week, but I was damned tight with my money if there was a DVD or DVDs I wanted coming in the horizon. I'm at 258 DVDs currently. I need to stop.

[quote name='Vinny']I have a serious problem about spontaneously buying games if they're cheap and half-way good.[/QUOTE]

When I first came to this site I was like that my first year. Then I realized after having 30 sealed games that I would never play them. So I traded them all in recently. The only game I can think of that I spent to much on was Way of the Samurai 2. I didn't have a game store around me then. I couldn't find it at any local stores. So I bought it off ebay for $55. Still one of my favorite games.

[quote name='Vinny']I have a serious problem about spontaneously buying games if they're cheap and half-way good.[/QUOTE]Same. I keep telling myself I'll stop, but when I see something I had interest in, at some point, for a great price, I usually buy it. I badly want to cut back on video game buying, but I cannot.

I used to be like most of you, but I managed to break the habit. I sold my entire game collection, along with many of my worldly comforts, I just kept the computer and keep coming back here as self-flagellation.

Seriously, I stopped buying games for the most part when I hit 20 titles sealed, all good games, and couldn't get up the interest to play them.

I used to spend a ton of money on games and my collection was growing rapidly. Then I decided to cut back and trade away a ton of crap (Gamerush was great when it first started up), and as a result I got a lot of great games for little cost out of pocket (if any).

I've actually spent very little in the past year or so regarding games based on my income (which isn't much). Sure, the 360 and some of it's games cost a bit (GRAW and Oblivion come to mind), but even then I got the system for much less than retail via the last of my credit. In the end I got the system and three games for about $300, which is a lot but considering it includes the cost of hardware as well it really isn't.

This month will be different due to Dead Rising and Madden, but in general I've cut way back and I'm glad I did. It leaves more money for other things.

I've never spent so much that I couldn't pay all my bills. I've also gotten better about buying less crap.

The only time I felt as if I spent too much was Xbox 360 launch day. I had never spent that much at one time on any kind of video game purchase.

I bought the premium system, 2 controllers (1 wireless, 1 wired), and 3 games.

The times when I've bought games it's because I thought I could afford them. The problem is that I don't know how to save; a few months down the line, I realize I have to go borrow money from friends so I don't get kicked out of my apartment (currently applying for jobs hoping to find a full time job during hte graveyard shift so that I can work 16 hours a day, hehe). I've cut back on my game buying drastically though; I don't even let myself come onto CAG that much anymore!

Since I have started working at Gamestop (June). I have spent over $1,000 dollers on gaming, DVD's, and perephials (sp?). Around $700 on XBox 360 alone. A lot of credit was used. But still...

Lets see this month alone and its only the 21st ive spent a pretty penny.

Madden 07(ps2)-$50
Madden 07(psp)-$40
Death Jr(psp)-$18.50
Virtua tennis(psp)$15.00
Dirge of cerberus(ps2)-50.00
Shining force neo(ps2)-$25.00
Grandia 3,2 copys(ps2)-$40.00,$5.00(got 1 from a cheap rental store that sold games for $5.00)
Digimon World 4(ps2)-$5.00
Me&my katamari(psp)-$20.00
Xenosaga 2(ps2)-$15.00
Makai Kingdom(ps2)-$30.00
Phantom Brave(ps2)-$25.00

That adds up to about $340 and i average that each month,sometime more...

You spend $340 on games each month? Dear god, thats sick. But at least you enjoy them, so its all good.

I dont spend that much on games, I buy maybe 3-4 games a year, if that. I've bought Madden 2007, MLB The Show, and Fifa 06 this year for the PS 2. I'm probably going to buy Smackdown vs. RAW 2007, NBA 2K7 and that's about it.

[quote name='Rafael122']You spend $340 on games each month? Dear god, thats sick. But at least you enjoy them, so its all good.

I dont spend that much on games, I buy maybe 3-4 games a year, if that. I've bought Madden 2007, MLB The Show, and Fifa 06 this year for the PS 2. I'm probably going to buy Smackdown vs. RAW 2007, NBA 2K7 and that's about it.[/quote]

Your sports heavy, i am too but when i first started playing games i played super mario bros for NES and final fantasy 8 for ps1(i was a lil late on games i started playing them around 1998-1999 when i was bout 10) But then i started playing sports and i play sports games much more then other games since i beat most games a few day after i buy em

Yeah, I'm definitely sports heavy. I have Hitman 2, and GTA Vice City and GTA 3. I'm not that big of a fan of the Final Fantasy and stuff like that, its not worth my time.

bread's done
Back