Who here is 1080p ready?

Zoglog

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Just out of curiosity I'm wondering who here is actually even 1080p ready. I have a feeling not many people will be when the ps3 launches. But I guess sense for the price of the PS3 that anyone who is willing to pay that much for one might just have a 1080p TV. Oh yeah and by 1080p ready I mean your TV can display At 1080p, Not just that it'll accept a 1080p signal and downscale or DLP 1080p wobble technology.

Personally I just returned my 1080p 37" Sceptre to costco for a 42" Westinghouse 1080p. (Mainly for the extra ports)

[quote name='whoknows']I chose #4, since I have no HDTV and I don't plan to anytime soon...I still plan to get a PS3 though :D[/QUOTE]

Ha ha! you suck!! Just kidding.;) I don't have either, but I am saving towards one, i'll get the tv before I end up getting the ps3 though.

Was wondering guys how would you list best manufactureers for hdtv, especially in 1080p. Also how does westington stack up in quality and features compared to the big companies? I have been seeing alot of westington tvs lately and they have been pretty cheap also.

I'm #4. HD is over rated. It basically gives people the chance to fill the void in their life by spending a ridiculous amount of money on a TV. They can show all their friends how cool they are and tell them how much money they spent on their latest technological wonder. I'm paying no interest at Best Buy for a year! In reality what you have is a nice TV with a sharper image. Yes I have seen and even played games on a HDTV and it looks nice but that is about it. For those of you who own one and say its so amazing I can never go back then I feel bad for you because you would have to throw away all your non-HD games which include some amazing games. Yes I can afford to buy a HDTV but I will wait until they cost about what TVs do now. Remember if a game looks good but sucks it still sucks.

[quote name='jkam'] In reality what you have is a nice TV with a sharper image.

That's the point of hdtv correct? Makes things you watch sharper ,clearer . I've never heard anyone say hdtv is the coming of christ in a box.(or do anything crazy)

I feel bad for you because you would have to throw away all your non-HD games which include some amazing games. [/QUOTE]

You don't have to throw away non hd games, non hd games still look better on a hdtv, than a regular tv.

[quote name='jkam'] #1.In reality what you have is a nice TV with a sharper image.

#2. I feel bad for you because you would have to throw away all your non-HD games which include some amazing games. [/QUOTE]

#1.That's the point of hdtv correct? Makes things you watch sharper ,clearer . I've never heard anyone say hdtv is the coming of christ in a box.(or do anything crazy)

#2.You don't have to throw away non hd games, non hd games still look better on a hdtv, than a regular tv.

[quote name='js1'] That's the point of hdtv correct? Makes things you watch sharper ,clearer . I've never heard anyone say hdtv is the coming of christ in a box.(or do anything crazy)[/QUOTE]

It is definitely the point. The way some people talk you would think it is.

[quote name='js1']
You don't have to throw away non hd games, non hd games still look better on a hdtv, than a regular tv. [/QUOTE]

I didn't say you had to either...this is for the people that say they can't go back to anything non-HD as in not made for HD.

[quote name='jkam']I'm #4. HD is over rated. It basically gives people the chance to fill the void in their life by spending a ridiculous amount of money on a TV. They can show all their friends how cool they are and tell them how much money they spent on their latest technological wonder. I'm paying no interest at Best Buy for a year! In reality what you have is a nice TV with a sharper image. Yes I have seen and even played games on a HDTV and it looks nice but that is about it. For those of you who own one and say its so amazing I can never go back then I feel bad for you because you would have to throw away all your non-HD games which include some amazing games. Yes I can afford to buy a HDTV but I will wait until they cost about what TVs do now. Remember if a game looks good but sucks it still sucks.[/quote]

lol everything in this world is over rated to some person or another .
I understand your points myself, I never suggest an HD to anyone without giving them the lowdown on the ups and downs .

my pick would be number 3 as Im good with my HD set I doubt I would notice 1080p as my boys at sony will have u believe. also this 1080p fiasco about a tv being 1080p ready and actually downconverting the signal is pretty freakin lame . Stupid tactics like this is what freakin slows the upgrade process down for many people .Oh and HDCP is another sheeeeeeeeeesh

I'm pretty sure my TV can do 1080i max. I have a panasonic plasma but I bought it 2.5 years ago.

Also jkam, HDTV is the second coming of Jesus. :D I seriously believe it makes TV more enjoyable to watch and games more enjoyable to play. Crap is still crap but playing something you like in high definition widescreen is more fun than playing it on a regular old TV.

Also, sporting events are completely different in HD. 3 years ago I would have preferred to go to Giants Stadium but now I can honestly say it's more enjoyable to watch in the comfort of my own living room. I'm in love with HDTV.

[quote name='jkam']I'm #4. HD is over rated. It basically gives people the chance to fill the void in their life by spending a ridiculous amount of money on a TV. They can show all their friends how cool they are and tell them how much money they spent on their latest technological wonder. I'm paying no interest at Best Buy for a year![/quote]

Or, like most people, you just enjoy the better picture.

60" SXRD here.. It upconverts everything to 1080p, but can only accept signals to a max of 1080i. I still hope Sony releases a software upgrade that will allow 1080p signal input, but I'm probably dreaming.

[quote name='javeryh']I'm pretty sure my TV can do 1080i max. I have a panasonic plasma but I bought it 2.5 years ago.

Also jkam, HDTV is the second coming of Jesus. :D I seriously believe it makes TV more enjoyable to watch and games more enjoyable to play. Crap is still crap but playing something you like in high definition widescreen is more fun than playing it on a regular old TV.

Also, sporting events are completely different in HD. 3 years ago I would have preferred to go to Giants Stadium but now I can honestly say it's more enjoyable to watch in the comfort of my own living room. I'm in love with HDTV.[/quote]

Man do sports really look better?? I want one for my 360 but it sucks to buy something knowing that 1080p is better etc... Its like i feel im buying something for the hell of it...

Someone throw out some hd tv deals while your at it.. I havent decided if i should buy a cheap hd 30'in tube or shell out extra for a nice hd lcd.. Where do you guys typically buy tv's? Im planning on using credit and hopefully taking advantage of a no interest plan

I chose #3 since our big TV has 1080i but no 720p. Still, 1080i is HD...

Me personally, I don't have anything HD. I'm too poor.:p

[quote name='guyver2077']Man do sports really look better?? I want one for my 360 but it sucks to buy something knowing that 1080p is better etc... Its like i feel im buying something for the hell of it...

Someone throw out some hd tv deals while your at it.. I havent decided if i should buy a cheap hd 30'in tube or shell out extra for a nice hd lcd.. Where do you guys typically buy tv's? Im planning on using credit and hopefully taking advantage of a no interest plan[/quote]

Yes. Sports look AMAZING. I can't even watch sports in non-HD now unless I'm shitfaced at a bar. I won't even go to a friend's house to watch a football game unless he has an HDTV - it's that much better.

If I were you I would wait and save enough so you can get a 50" DLP (or plasma if you want to splurge). Anything smaller and you will be wanting a new TV in a few years (42" might be OK if you have a small room though). You can get a great HDTV that's 50" or bigger for less than $3,000 if you look around. Wait until Best Buy does their 10% off anything sale and definitely look for no-interest financing for 24 months or something if you don't want to spend it all at once.

[quote name='javeryh']Yes. Sports look AMAZING. I can't even watch sports in non-HD now unless I'm shitfaced at a bar. I won't even go to a friend's house to watch a football game unless he has an HDTV - it's that much better.

If I were you I would wait and save enough so you can get a 50" DLP (or plasma if you want to splurge). Anything smaller and you will be wanting a new TV in a few years (42" might be OK if you have a small room though). You can get a great HDTV that's 50" or bigger for less than $3,000 if you look around. Wait until Best Buy does their 10% off anything sale and definitely look for no-interest financing for 24 months or something if you don't want to spend it all at once.[/quote]

Nice. I was reading into it and i definitely didnt like those tv's that you have to change the oil and pull the crank or whatever. I think those were dlp not sure..

I was looking in the 40' in range. Give or take a few

Im also not looking to spend 3k on a tv. Heck im having trouble spending more than 1k. Id hate to spend too much and not have it 1080p ready.

I was even considering at a poing those cheap refurb philips but everyone said stay away.

HD is very simply boiled down to just a higher resolution picture. In order to get good HD displayed you need a reasonable sized screen and a good source. In addition it does wonders for doubling up as a monitor - http://zoglog.clearlyseen.net/photos/sceptretv/IMG_1717.jpg

you will see many people try to claim HD is as clear as looking out a window when it's simply not true. However HD is a very noticeable improvment over standard. The most impressive HD in my opinion is footage from the HD news cameras. You can definetly notice a higher amount of detail. Honestly the only person who would complain about HD is somone who cannot afford it or is trying to be cool emo retro geeky. And if you hate it so much, don't buy it instead of trolling about.

Do we need better TVs? no. but then again we don't really need video games either.

As far as 1080p sets, Sceptre and westinghouse have excellent 1080p sets at reasonable prices (with prices dropping in the future). If you care much about brand name you can go with Sony's new overpriced Bravia line. Personally if you're gonna spend that much on a sony i'd recommend a Sharp.

As far as the 1080p Buzz goes, the main benifit (in my opinion) is def PC usage as a monitor. honestly when you go from 720p to 1080p the difference is not extremely apparent or dramatic as the jump from 480i/p to 720p. So if you have a HDTV Set already I wouldn't recommend just to upgrade to 1080p.

[quote name='Zoglog']Honestly the only person who would complain about HD is somone who cannot afford it or is trying to be cool emo retro geeky.[/quote]

You forgot blind. :D I totally agree with you - of course it's not necessary but it sure does make watching TV a lot more enjoyable.

yeah, I have a Sony Trinitron...

It's HDTV ready, of course I don't actually have any HDTV compatable devices...

THough I *have* played games in HDTV, and I must say it makes them look as pretty as PC games played on a monitor... not a 1ms CRT monitor, but a monitor nonetheless.

Just actually got my HDTV yesterday. Was looking at an SXRD or possibly waiting until the new SXRD & XBRs come out in September, but I decided to go with the 40" XBR1 because the new ones from Sony are 1080p, but also $4000 which I can't afford for a TV right now. I may upgrade in a year or two as my mom liked my TV so much she offered to buy it full price whenever I want to sell it.

What's with the whole semi 1080p controversy? I have a Samsung 56" DLP 1080p HDTV, so I think I have the real 1080p unless I missed something about DLP.

To JKAM,

Jeeze, shut that rant up already.
HDTVs are no longer the cost of an arm and a leg unless you're looking for a GIANT size.

It makes TV so much better, I can't believe the detail.
I even started watching football games because they looked unreal on my TV.

And games, wow, clear as a bell. It's hard for me to watch even regular DVDs now as they suck compared to the HD broadcast that is available.
It's brought new life even into my old PS2 games, finally got around to beating some of them that have been on the waiting list.

How anyone can diss HDTV is beyond me.

To add a little bit:

It's nice to see HDTV owners starting to become the majority.

At the AV forum, with hundreds of votes, less than 10 still had a SD tv.
Hehe, well, that's expected over there.

I have a 42" lcd hdtv moniter 1080p by westinghouse in my room.
but I suppose that doesn't compare to the 60" in the entertainment/family room.

I have a 5 year old Panasonic 37" 480p plasma - but it can take upto 1080i signals.

Nevertheless, HD still looks great on it; HDTV and PS3.

My next TV will definitely be 1080p; but I'm in no hurry to upgrade for now.

[quote name='jkam'] It basically gives people the chance to fill the void in their life by spending a ridiculous amount of money on a TV. They can show all their friends how cool they are and tell them how much money they spent on their latest technological wonder. I'm paying no interest at Best Buy for a year! In reality what you have is a nice TV with a sharper image. Yes I have seen and even played games on a HDTV and it looks nice but that is about it. For those of you who own one and say its so amazing I can never go back then I feel bad for you because you would have to throw away all your non-HD games which include some amazing games. Yes I can afford to buy a HDTV but I will wait until they cost about what TVs do now. Remember if a game looks good but sucks it still sucks.[/QUOTE]

Okay, first of all, tell me how spending $140 on a Philips/Magnavox/RCA 20 inch SD set, or spending $250 on a 24 inch Toshiba or Sony SD set, is in anyway frugal or intelligent, when there are several 30 inch plus HDTV's avaialble for as low as $400.

And now, for facts, HD is not just "sharper", HD is actually more than twice the amount of information on screen. When you are viewing true HD, you are viewing a widescreen image that gives you many more advantages. For example, in a sporting event, you can see more of the field, more of the movement, as much as possible that can fit in a 16:9 space. The views are panoramic, everything is on a grand scale. And when you're watching movies, you are viewing what the director intended, as much as 33 percent more image, and the whole shot [what the camera was actually seeing]

Not only that, HD is showing not only more color, more detail, more "sharpness", but is plain showing more lines of resolution, more actual information on screen, therefore it's not just "more sharp", but you're actually seeing more details and more aspects of the image viewable on the screen.

Millions of consumers buy shit $90 sets at Wal-Mart, they replace them every year or use them until they're completely out of service, they spend more money on cables and adapters so that they can watch DVD's, digital cable, and play new consoles, because their TV's are bare minimum and can't accept a standard signal. What business do you have playing an Xbox 360 or a PS3 if you need to buy a $20 RF adapter so you can hook it up via the coax antenna input?

So yeah, your post is almost to the point of being threadcrapping, trolling, because having an HDTV doesn't make a person scum of the Earth, it doesn't make them any less intelligent, and it doesn't mean their lives are empty: it just means they have discerning taste and expect the best from everything they own.

I'd be glad to hear your argument about how all these "new" cars with air conditioning, air bags, CD players, anti lock breaks, and on board computers are useless pieces of shit that only make people feel better about their pointless existence.

Yeah, I just became HD. My Sharp 52" AQUOS LCD just made me join the club. Screw what you heard about banding and dead pixels. Plus I just paid $3752 with 36 months no interest. The Wii Sports is more fun, and HD DVD so far look FREAKIN AMAZING!! I had a nice 12%off coupon from Best Buy. Life is now awsome!

1080i for me. I believe they said on avsforum..you wont see a difference (if any) for 32/7" and below. Since the tv is in my room...1080i it is!

there are always people who are down on something just because other people like it. hdtv, ipods, pokemans, halo. they complain about people lauding said products and proclaiming them the second coming of christ and don't realize being on the ultranegative end of the spectrum is just as bad as being on the other end.

My new tv (see signature) does true 1080p, but has to be through HDMI, although Ive heard even on a tv this size, there is no noticable difference between 1080i and 1080p, the HD dvd for 360 looks awesome on this tv (after minor calibrations)

I have a 1080i tv in my game room as well, and will have HD programming in the near future through DTV (along with a couple HD DVR's)

I enjoy the HD for alot of the reasons discussed, it lookd freaking amazing, got hooked while over at my mothers for christmas, even with only a 32" Vizio (which I plan on getting for the bedroon later this year)

I have a 720p/1080i HDTV. 1080p is a bit too much for me right now.

People bitching that HDTV is not worth it and 'too expensive' are just dumbasses. Do they even sell 'normal' TVs anymore? Nearly everything I see is HDTV.

[quote name='gizmogc']I have a 720p/1080i HDTV. 1080p is a bit too much for me right now.

People bitching that HDTV is not worth it and 'too expensive' are just dumbasses. Do they even sell 'normal' TVs anymore? Nearly everything I see is HDTV.[/QUOTE]

Its really is getting to be much more reasonable for 1080p, myself, I was expecting to spend upwards of 3000 for mine, plus tax, plus a few hundred for a new stand, and had no idea about cheap HDMI cables (monoprice.com baby)

Simple price search and reviews led me to my current TV, which would have ran me around 2600 from Best Buy (that was a sale price), online I found the same tv for around 2000, free shipping, and no tax... and didnt have to worry about delivery fees that I would have had with BB

The stand purchase was blind luck, I was all set to either build a stand (resulting in many lost hours, or spend around 150 on one from Wal Mart, many stores wanted ALOT more for crap... out of curiosite I stopped by a salvage store (Hudsons) and they had stacks of boxes of nice tv stands that fit my tv... it was the only tv stand there, and was exactly what I was looking for, no particleboard, just metal and tempered glass

The cost 99.95- 40%... only 60 bucks

Full 1080p here.

Honestly I can understand people bitching about HDTV not being all it's cracked up to be. Now for games or DVD's, or HD/Blu-Ray DVD's or really anything where you can send it a pure uncompressed true HD source it is absolutely incredible and I think you'd have to be crazy to say it's not worth it for those.

BUT for TV....EH not so much, first off depending on your TV provider you may or may not get very many HD channels which sucks because standard definition shows look much worse on HDTVs then regular TV's. Also a lot of HD networks don't know how to broadcast in HD their little production mistakes and bad cameras that used to go unnoticed on an SD TV can be pretty glaring in HD. Also a lot of broadcats are plagued with compression artifacts and other technical problems.

Don't have one yet. Will someday when I'm ready.

I saw no reason until I could actually buy HD (DVHS was not something I was going to invest in) content to watch on it. I don't watch sports and don't even watch an hour a day.

A few channels over the air doesn't cut it and I'm not paying to use the HD part of an expensive TV, especially if I can't record/archive it. That's like subscribing to play an online game after paying $50+ for it. And upconverting is not HD.

I'll wait, because honestly, I really don't care that much.

Now with Blu-ray, I'm a bit more enthusiastic. Just waiting for more titles that interest me.

No reason to own a 1080p television until you have a true 1080p source to go along with it (and even then the differences are negligible on the smaller TVs).

bread's done
Back