Who misses the old-school-2d style Metroid ?

PrTv

CAG Veteran
I myself am a huge fan of Metroid; I played almost all installments of the series.
But the only one that I like most is Super Metroid (Fusion and Zero Mission are also great though). I think that Metroid is at its best when it's 2d (I don't really like its 3d installments).

Seeing its 3d installments sell so well, I'm afraid that there will be no more 2d Metroid because today's trend is favor toward 3d game and Nintendo is busy making the Wii version (which is 3d, of course).

I'm sure that I'm not the only one who love the 2d Metroid (it's not that 3d ones are bad or anything, I just like 2d ones better).
Does anyone have any information about the new 2d Metroid ?
It can be any interview, news, or anything since I really want to know if there is gonna be the new one.

P.s. IMO, Ds is the best platform for the 2d version since it has 2 screens and 2d games is dying from home consoles.

*Raises Hand*

Me!! Ditto for the Castlevania games (and Mario for that matter...and tons of other games). 3D != better than 2D, just different.

I liked Metroid Prime (though not as well as Metroid 1 or 3), but I *HATE* Hunters, which isn't even a Metroid game and is just completely unworthy to use that name. Metroid Pinball is as much of a Metroid game :bomb:

See also: My I WANT 2D GAMES! thread :D

Only news I've heard on a Metroid 5 is that it was in production for the DS...and then canned. And whoopee, we got a FPS with the Metroid name instead.

On March 23, 2006, the website N-Sider reported that the IGN editor Craig Harris was asked about Metroid Dread, and his response was that it was too early to show at E3 in 2005, but that it could be shown later that year. This lends credence to the possibility that the game has not been cancelled, and that this could have been reported falsely by Nintendo-Next. [4] The game failed to make an appearance at E3 2006, and was not mentioned for the rest of the year, although this is not necessarily an indication that the game is indeed cancelled.

Apparently it's still alive.

Yeah, I, too, prefer 2D games, by and large.

However, Castlevania has kind of run the whole "2D Metroidvania" thing into the ground for me. Maybe I'll want one in a couple years; until then, can we cool it on Castlevania, too?

Me.

I prefer 2D games and Super Metroid is my all time favorite game, the 2 GBA games were great as well.

Metroid Prime 1 was very good other than the bosses being a bit difficult for my fairly casual gamer tastes. The second one I didn't finish (spent 16 hours on it) as the bosses were even worse and the dark world concept was just annoying to me. The DS game was just totally lame, with shit level design for single player and awkward controls. Just played like a generic death match FPS rather than a metroid game.

I also heard the 2D Metroid DS game was cancelled. I also love 2D Metroid and I think eventually we'll see it again in some form. New SMB sold very well, and the 2D Castlevania games have been pretty popular on DS.

On the DS I think Metroid should have been 2D instead of the hand-cramping 3D that was Hunters. I've had "Metroid Dread" on my wish list since I first heard the name.

2D Metroid is always awesome. I still nead to beat Metroid II.

The Prime games are cool but they would have been a LOT better with standard FPS controls.

I love the 2D Metroid games...sure you had to backtrack in those games, but it didn't seem like a lot of work. In the Metroid Prime games it's all "great, now I get to spend 15 minutes backtracking to get to a new area/get an item..whoopee".

If a 2D Metroid came out for the DS I would rebuy the DS.

i too was never able to get into the metroid prime series, but at the same time, i never got into the gba games either. just nes and snes for me, no real reason, thats just how it is.

[quote name='rodeojones903']I do. Im one of the few who hates the Metroid Prime series.[/quote]
Dude, everyone hates Echoes.

I don't care what dimension the game is in, I want my Metroid games to be more Metroids and bounty hunting and less Samus and civilizations and all that fluffy nonsense..

Ohh... I'm kind of relief to hear that there are many supports for 2d Metroid.

And yeah, making it in 2.5 D like New Super Mario is also a very good idea, but no pure 3d-first-person-shooing please (it may be a great idea for the Wii becaue of that "Wii mote" thing, but it's a disastor for the DS).
IMO, making it in 3d-fps, there is no different among this game and other 3d-fps games in the market (besides this game has the word "Metroid" on its cover).
Even if they put their effort to metroidize them by putting many backtracking, the 3d ones are still not-quite-right for me.

I hope that the said 2d DS version will not be cancelled.

P.s. Someone told me that there was only 1 Metroid per system (except the GBA and GC), is this statement correct ? (since I don't have a chance to prove it yet)
If it's true, I hope that this statement will not stay true for the DS since we've already had the Prime Hunter. I hope that Nintendo won't hold the "one system, one installment" policy and use that for the reason to cancel our new Ds game.

[quote name='PrTv']Ohh... I'm kind of relief to hear that there are many supports for 2d Metroid.

And yeah, making it in 2.5 D like New Super Mario is also a very good idea, but no pure 3d-first-person-shooing please (it may be a great idea for the Wii becaue of that "Wii mote" thing, but it's a disastor for the DS).
IMO, making it in 3d-fps, there is no different among this game and other 3d-fps games in the market (besides this game has the word "Metroid" on its cover).
Even if they put their effort to metroidize them by putting many backtracking, the 3d ones are still not-quite-right for me.

I hope that the said 2d DS version will not be cancelled.

P.s. Someone told me that there was only 1 Metroid per system (except the GBA and GC), is this statement correct ? (since I don't have a chance to prove it yet)
If it's true, I hope that this statement will not stay true for the DS since we've already had the Prime Hunter. I hope that Nintendo won't hold the "one system, one installment" policy and use that for the reason to cancel our new Ds game.[/QUOTE]

metroid prime had a sequel on gamecube.

well, there aren't all THAT many Metroids to begin with...

Metroid on NES
Metroid 2 on GameBoy
Super Metroid on SNES
Metroid Fusion on GBA
Metroid: Zero Mission on GBA
Metroid Prime: Hunters on DS
Metroid Prime: Pinball on DS (if you'd like to count that)
Metroid Prime on Cube
Metroid Prime 2 on Cube
Metroid Prime 3 on Wii

And that's all of them. One system, one installment hardly ever holds true these days, although they've stuck pretty tight to it with Mario games on consoles lately. Kinda depends more on when in a system's life-cycle the first one is released. For instance, with Twilight Princess, it was a launch title on Wii. I can almost guarantee there'll be another Wii Zelda title, simply because nobody will want to wait another 5 years for a new one. If Corruption truly ends the Prime cycle this year, I again wouldn't be surprised to see a totally new Metroid later on...maybe 2010 or something. Jesus, i'm thinking about 2010...how terrifying time is.

I'm really glad I'm not the only one who thinks "Hunters" is an insult to the Metroid name. Or that some games play better in 2D!

I'm not sure I'll ever get a chance to play Metroid Prime 2, so I'm kind of glad people didn't like it as well as the first one (I really did enjoy the first one, though agree with the poster who said the bosses were too hard. I really thought so too-especially the last boss and the one before that. The last boss left me with a really bad feeling about the game for a while, even though I'd mostly loved it.)

[quote name='mattstockton12']I agree with the 2.5D sentiment, it worked for Contra Shattered Solider on PS2[/QUOTE]

I'd only support using 3D graphics if the visuals don't suffer. Typically "2.5D" games don't look as good as 2D art. Though of course if the gameplay's good I'd still get it.

Only exceptions I can think of are probably Viewtiful Joe and possibly New Super Mario Bros. (which used some 3D elements, but not everything was 3D, and the DS had the hoursepower to do justitce to what 3D there was).

[quote name='Kawnhr']I missed it up until I found Castlevania.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's made me care less too. Especially since I love the RPG elements in the Castlevania games. I didn't like Metroid 4 as much as I expected-probably because the Castlevania games do it better now.

I would kill for just a NEW metroid. I'm tired of rehashing past journeys. I have a fancy new fusion set and a galaxy I'm going to get contracted to repair thanks to my extreme prejudice in just wanting to eliminate Metroids. More business for Samus, I suppose (^_^)

I want to know what worlds I've endangered since my eradication of the Metroid species. I'm weak to ice now!

What are those mad scientists who obviously have caches of Metroid cells up to?

What troubles will the extinction of the top predators in the planetary food chains cause? What environmental problems are now unchecked? We've seen what happened already, the X are starting to screw up everything!

This had the potential to avalanche into a good story arc until Nintendo decided to just start rehashing past adventures and trying to explain Chozos.

I always liked that before, the Chozo statues were just, uh, "there". Samus only had a job to do, rent was due, and that was a good enough reason for me to go spelunking on a new planet.

I really miss the classic metroid where there was no map, you didn't know where you were going but it was freeroam, and there was alot of hidden areas. I never played super metroid because I never owned a SNES (cant wait for the VC release). I played the GBA ones and didn't care for them, they were too well idk I can't say linear but they just didn't have the same charm as the classic ones did. I do like the prime series but I am not a major fan. Overall my favorte has and still is the original one.

Personally I think Super Metroid and Metroid Prime tie for best in the series.

Echoes was pretty bland.

I think a 2.5 D iteration would be the best bet for the next installment. Something that captured the power of Metroid Prime 1 would work also, as that game felt much more immersive than any other in the series.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']I really miss the classic metroid where there was no map, you didn't know where you were going but it was freeroam, and there was alot of hidden areas. I never played super metroid because I never owned a SNES (cant wait for the VC release). I played the GBA ones and didn't care for them, they were too well idk I can't say linear but they just didn't have the same charm as the classic ones did. I do like the prime series but I am not a major fan. Overall my favorte has and still is the original one.[/QUOTE]

Metroid 3 and 1 are probably the best. Track down a copy of 3 if you can (the VC game is a bad idea as they're tied to the console you buy it on).

2 and 4 were weaker IMO. 4 is probably my least favorite. I liked most of Prime a lot too, but never got to play Prime 2.

i actually did like the gba versions of metroid. they really helped fill in my craving for 2d adventure games back when they were released.

Cross your fingers for a Super Metriod release on the virtual console this year. I agree Fusion and Zero Mission were my favorite Metriods games over the last five years. Prime was good but its sequel just seemed to be missing some thing.

I loved all of the 2D Metroids. I have never been very good at those 3D FPS games like Prime. Never played Echoes (other than a few min at EB) but Prime was really hard for me and it didn't feel like a true Metroid.

I really think the whole Metroid series needs to be reinvigorated. The GBA games were great, but there wasn't much change.

I would love to see something like a 2D Metroid RPG. Fly around to different planets taking bounty-hunting jobs and earning money to buy armor upgrades (instead of just finding them) woven around an interesting plot of invading metroids and evil space pirates.

Mostly tho, I wanna fly Samus's spaceship.

I actually really liked Prime. I didn't think Echoes worked as well, though. Can't put my finger on it, but I just wasn't a big fan. Nothing, in my mind, will ever beat the original and Super Metroid.

[quote name='crewj']i actually did like the gba versions of metroid. they really helped fill in my craving for 2d adventure games back when they were released.[/quote]

GBA Metroids were :drool:

Fusion was amazing and Zero Mission was great and gave us Zero Suit Samus! Can't go wrong with that. Too bad Super Metroid didn't get the handheld treatment.

I'm still holding out for Metroid Dread. How can it not sell?

As for the 3D iterations, I rather liked Metroid Prime and, to a lesser extent, Prime 2. Hunters, on the other hand, just felt like your typical, everyday FPS.

And I still play Metroid Pinball.

I feel like Castlevania's filled the void... but I definitely wouldn't be against seeing Metroid Dread come out. I loved Prime and Prime 2, but there's just something about Super Metroid that no other Metroid game had down...

[quote name='Ace Harding: Private Eye']Metroid 2 is an incredibly underrated game, most likely due to the limited graphics. If "Metroid Dread" is indeed cancelled, a DS remake of 2 would be nice.[/quote]

I agree that Metroid 2 was highly underrated and I wouldn't mind seeing a remake. I spent almost an entire summer playing this game.

I feel bad for never having played Super Metroid, though. I'm really looking forward to the VC version when I get my Wii.

[quote name='Krymner']I agree that Metroid 2 was highly underrated and I wouldn't mind seeing a remake. I spent almost an entire summer playing this game.

I feel bad for never having played Super Metroid, though. I'm really looking forward to the VC version when I get my Wii.[/quote]
You're going to be pissed that you didn't play it sooner! :D

[quote name='willardhaven']Personally I think Super Metroid and Metroid Prime tie for best in the series.[/quote]

I agree. Here's how they rank:

1. Metroid Prime
1. Super Metroid
3. Metroid: Zero Mission
4. Metroid Fusion
5. Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
6. Metroid
7. Metroid 2: Return of Samus
8. Metroid Prime: Hunters

[quote name='yukine']You're going to be pissed that you didn't play it sooner! :D[/quote]

Probably. Seems like I saved the best for last though, eh? I'm actually psyched about there being another 2D Metroid out there that I haven't played yet. :bouncy:
Sounds like this is one of those games where, if you have played it before, you wish could go back and play it again for the very first time.

[quote name='Krymner']Probably. Seems like I saved the best for last though, eh? I'm actually psyched about there being another 2D Metroid out there that I haven't played yet. :bouncy:
Sounds like this is one of those games where, if you have played it before, you wish could go back and play it again for the very first time.[/quote]

Whatever you do, DO NOT read a single guide or look at a single map or get a single hint on how to do anything or where any item is loacted. It will completely ruin the experience and you will be wondering why everyone loves this game so much.

We are neglecting metroid prime pinball... which is highly addictive and should only be played in small doses. High scores anyone? Super Metroid was awesome...is awesome.. then im gonna have to say zero mission and fusion are my favorites.

I have played most of the series, Hunters was the first 3D metroid to my expierience. I do like the 2D series better, although i haven't had much time in hunters, i already start to see the pattern... all the gameboy versions were good, i played Metroid II, Fusion, Zero Mission, Super Metroid (like, 3 times, one of my fav's) and of course, old reliable Metroid for NES.

Not a big fan of Prime, and no interest either......

cinco-thre'

[quote name='Metalfan036']I have played most of the series, Hunters was the first 3D metroid to my expierience.[/quote]

You mean the first 3D Metroid you played? The Prime games are 3D...

"Hunters" isn't a real Metroid game though, while the Prime games are.

bread's done
Back