Who remembers Nick Arcade?

That show was terrible, yet I always watched it. They must have gone out of their way to recruit video game-incompetent kids to be contestants. The goal would be something like collecting 15 rings in Sonic the Hedgehog, yet the retarded kids would sit there jumping up and down for two minutes.

[quote name='gofishn']That show was terrible, yet I always watched it. They must have gone out of their way to recruit video game-incompetent kids to be contestants. The goal would be something like collecting 15 rings in Sonic the Hedgehog, yet the retarded kids would sit there jumping up and down for two minutes.[/QUOTE]

:lol: I remember yelling at the tv as a kid because I could decimate every video challenge they had, while the contestants seemed to just blow at moving to the right. The trivia was easy too. GOOD times.

[quote name='gofishn']That show was terrible, yet I always watched it. They must have gone out of their way to recruit video game-incompetent kids to be contestants. The goal would be something like collecting 15 rings in Sonic the Hedgehog, yet the retarded kids would sit there jumping up and down for two minutes.[/quote]
Yeah, the kids on there didn't seem to be that good with reflexes. One that seemed like not many could get the challenge finished was King of Monsters.

FYI, they still air the episodes, it's on Nick GAS at 4 & 4:30 in the morning.

Now, is that story true? Maybe, maybe not. It seems illogical, first of all -- if there are six celebrity judges on every game of Figure it Out, why would you only blame one? On the other hand, he is black, and Nickelodeon is known for nothing if not its virulent racism...

Phil Moore was a pretty cool host (even though, as a black man, he still somehow managed to out-white Wayne Brady)

I lol'd

Figure it Out only ever had 4 judges... I just watched this show last night with my gf.

These shows are hilarious in this day and age, espicially Guts.

I watched it when I was younger, it always pissed me off how they had kids on there that couldn't even fucking play the games.

[quote name='yukine']I watched it when I was younger, it always pissed me off how they had kids on there that couldn't even fucking play the games.[/QUOTE]

I think we can all agree on that :) All those kids were terrible.

Every time this show is mentioned somewhere, "King of The Monsters" comes to mind immediately. Go SNK!!!

wKing_Of_The_Monsters.png

The title didn't stir up many memories, but after I saw Mikey I started to remember everything. There were so many great shows on Nick in the early 90's.

Yes I remember that show and the awesome-yet-retarded video zone.

As a side note, I totally had those joysticks on the podiums for the PC. They were awesome then too (Although I was like 7 and didn't play with them too much...)

[quote name='asianxcore']I think we can all agree on that :) All those kids were terrible.

Every time this show is mentioned somewhere, "King of The Monsters" comes to mind immediately. Go SNK!!!

[/quote]My memory of that show is always Kabuki Quantum Fighters. I've never played it to this day, but I always wanted to.

I don't have many memories of that show. However, there's another, more traditional kids game show that I have been racking my brain to remember. It was like Fun House or something, but at the end the winner would run through a game-store set and velcro video games to his/her outfit. Ring any bells?

I remember that show. It was on a nick gas. I was sadly watching it everyday until about two months ago, when Time warner took the channel off my listing.

The article is a good read though.

[quote name='ViolentLee']I don't have many memories of that show. However, there's another, more traditional kids game show that I have been racking my brain to remember. It was like Fun House or something, but at the end the winner would run through a game-store set and velcro video games to his/her outfit. Ring any bells?[/quote]
This will show my childhood dorkiness but the show you were talking about was called "Video Power". I used to watch it at like 5:30AM before I went to school. If I remember right the show also had like 5 or 10 minutes of cartoon footage featuring Akklaim characters (Bigfoot, Quark the Tomato, The guy from Wizards and Warriors).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_Power

This thread also reminds me of "The Wizard" with Fred Savage. I couldn't wait to see that movie when I was like 9 years old.

I couldn't find any Video Power on YouTube, save for the intro. I'd like to see a few runs through the game room, for nostalgia's sake.

[quote name='ViolentLee']I don't have many memories of that show. However, there's another, more traditional kids game show that I have been racking my brain to remember. It was like Fun House or something, but at the end the winner would run through a game-store set and velcro video games to his/her outfit. Ring any bells?[/QUOTE]

Ladies and gentlemen.. Video Power.

The season before it turned into a game show, it was just the host previewing/reviewing games in between a "Captain N" rip-off cartoon. It was on at like 6:30 AM every morning and was the best part of my otherwise crappy 7th grade day.

EDIT: OK, I gotta post faster. But I'll leave this to share in the Video Power love with Chitown021.

[quote name='mforge']Ladies and gentlemen.. Video Power.

The season before it turned into a game show, it was just the host previewing/reviewing games in between a "Captain N" rip-off cartoon. It was on at like 6:30 AM every morning and was the best part of my otherwise crappy 7th grade day.

EDIT: OK, I gotta post faster. But I'll leave this to share in the Video Power love with Chitown021.[/quote]

Good lord that intro was god awful! Brings back memories of my school day morning ritual. I remember always wishing I had a chance to run through and grab all of those Nintendo games at the end of the show. Thanks for the link mforge!

[quote name='mforge']Ladies and gentlemen.. Video Power.

EDIT: OK, I gotta post faster. But I'll leave this to share in the Video Power love with Chitown021.[/QUOTE]

Holy crap, I remember that show. I used to watch it before school in the mornings. Gotta get those Eastpacks!

Seconded to whoever said that it pissed them off how bad the kids were at the games. I used to imagine going there and kicking ass at all the games and making Phil Moore cry.

Then I remembered they had Battletoads every now and then.

And how it was always conveniently paused at the surfing/pod stage.

fuck YOU NICK ARCADE!

Remember?

Hell, if you have Comcast digital cable (like I do), it still comes on one of the Nickelodeon channels :)

the only reason i watched that show was to see the real videogames that the contestants would play especially the neo geo games. other than that the show sucked , their homemade games sucked and the host was really fucking annoying.

I know a guy who wrote for Video Power when it had the live segment/cartoon/live segment format. Meeting him always seemed funny to me since that incarnation of the show was part of my middle school morning ritual back in the early 90's. Once it turned into a game show, I didn't watch it. Looking back now, the cartoon was complete nonsense (Acclaim characters like Kuros, Kwirk The Chilled Tomato, and...uh, Bigfoot in dull "adventures"), but the live segments were worth watching due to the dimly-yet-very-maroon lit set and the shilling of games that most kids wouldn't take for free. I vividly remember one incident where a person wrote in and won a prize. "Johnny Arcade" pulls the lever, and as he pulls the game out of the chute, he exclaims "You have won this....(pause, shift into bad Arnold voice) TOTAL RECALL CARTRIDGE."

As my aquaintence once told me, it was a bush league show "done joylessly on the cheap." His most treasured memory of the show was playing an prank on one of the secretaries there. He also helped "Johnny Arcade" make a sign for a Smiths concert he was going to. That's about it.

I know a guy who wrote for Video Power when it had the live segment/cartoon/live segment format. Meeting him always seemed funny to me since that incarnation of the show was part of my middle school morning ritual back in the early 90's. Once it turned into a game show, I didn't watch it. Looking back now, the cartoon was complete nonsense (Acclaim characters like Kuros, Kwirk The Chilled Tomato, and...uh, Bigfoot in dull "adventures"), but the live segments were worth watching due to the dimly-yet-very-maroon lit set and the shilling of games that most kids wouldn't take for free. I vividly remember one incident where a person wrote in and won a prize. Johnny Arcade pulls the lever, and as he pulls the game out of the chute, he exclaims "You have won this....(pause, shift into bad Arnold voice) TOTAL RECALL CARTRIDGE."

As my aquaintence once told me, it was a doomed show "done joylessly on the cheap." His most treasured memory of the show was playing a prank on one of the secretaries there. He also helped Johnny Arcade make a sign for a Smiths concert he was going to. That's about it.

I watched Nick Arcade all the time, but...

I remember a show where at the end the winning team would have a certain amount of time to run through a prize zone, (it was a big climber), where games were held on the walls and all over the place with velcro. They had to grab as many as they could carry and make it down a tube slide. I don't think it was Nick Arcade.

Anybody have any idea?

~bill

EDIT: Nevermind, I should have read the rest of the thread. It was Video Power. I LOVED VIDEO POWER. The thought of being able to run throught that thing and grab as many games as you can was mind blowing to me as a child. I was always pissed when they didn't get inventive enough or grab enough and I loved it when a greedy lil kid went down the slide just covered with games.

Thanks for making me remember that show.

bread's done
Back