Who was "the" artist of the 90s?

There were several.

Kurt Cobain, Scott Weiland, Billy Corgan, Eddie Vedder, Chris Cornell and Layne Staley.

Edit: Holy &#@*, how could I have forgotten about Trent Reznor and Thom Yorke!?

I'm not sure of "the" artist, but if you are talking about bands that emerged and had a big impact, Rage Against the Machine gets my vote. Another mention is NWA, just because they spawned gangta rap that's so prevalent nowadays.

[quote name='6669']I'd rather say Nirvana as a whole. If its only down to those 2, then why not make a poll?[/quote]

If you include Nirvana as a whole, then you have to put Foo Fighters and all of Novaselic's bands in the mix.. sorta. I dunno. Nirvana was just a right place right time type of deal. I love Nirvana, I own every CD.. but I've gotta say, most of the lyrics make little to no sense..

[quote name='Scorch'][quote name='6669']I'd rather say Nirvana as a whole. If its only down to those 2, then why not make a poll?[/quote]

If you include Nirvana as a whole, then you have to put Foo Fighters and all of Novaselic's bands in the mix.. sorta. I dunno. Nirvana was just a right place right time type of deal. I love Nirvana, I own every CD.. but I've gotta say, most of the lyrics make little to no sense..[/quote]

Maybe you aren't doing enough heroin to "get" them. ;)

you can only take rage so seriously, i mean, an activist band on a major label? its just hard to believe them 100% when bands like choking victim were doing way better stuff then them.

tom is a great guitarist tho.

[quote name='punqsux']you can only take rage so seriously, i mean, an activist band on a major label? its just hard to believe them 100% when bands like choking victim were doing way better stuff then them.

tom is a great guitarist tho.[/quote]

AMEN CHOCKING VICTIM LIKE A MOFO......

[quote name='punqsux']you can only take rage so seriously, i mean, an activist band on a major label? its just hard to believe them 100% when bands like choking victim were doing way better stuff then them.

I'd put Rage up there just for their s/t album. EE and BoLA just don't hold a candle to that one.

[quote name='Nirvanaguy777'][quote name='punqsux']you can only take rage so seriously, i mean, an activist band on a major label? its just hard to believe them 100% when bands like choking victim were doing way better stuff then them.

AMEN CHOCKING VICTIM LIKE A MOFO......[/quote]

On a side note, personally I dont like Nirvana the name is more for the belief in Nirvana, if I had to go with the best artist of the 90's Id go with....dammit operation ivy played there last show in 1989.....um uhhh....*runs away*

[quote name='Nirvanaguy777'][quote name='punqsux']you can only take rage so seriously, i mean, an activist band on a major label? its just hard to believe them 100% when bands like choking victim were doing way better stuff then them.

AMEN CHOCKING VICTIM LIKE A MOFO......[/quote]

I'm sure choking victim is pleased that both of its fans feel that way :wink:

What better way to get the word out and be able to fund some of their causes. But, I here what your saying.
They put on on a pretty intense show though.

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl'][quote name='thepityofmrt']Limp Bizkit or Creed.[/quote]

:rofl:[/quote]

:rofl:

Well, at least he didn't say Tupac Shakur or Nirvana...oh...right... :oops:

[quote name='punqsux'][quote name='thepityofmrt']Limp Bizkit or Creed.[/quote]

:rofl:

best.newb.ever![/quote]

beyond the uber newb, we need like a new term for that newbism

[quote name='The Shiznit'][quote name='punqsux']you can only take rage so seriously, i mean, an activist band on a major label? its just hard to believe them 100% when bands like choking victim were doing way better stuff then them.

What better way to get the word out and be able to fund some of their causes. But, I here what your saying.
They put on on a pretty intense show though.[/quote]

yeah but rage wrote their songs very vaugley.
choking victim wrote thei beleifs straight up.
they had a song called fuck america, about how america always blames every other country for things that happen to us (the wtc bombing in the mid 90's specifically)

as "political" as rage might seem, they were watered down, either by nature or by their label.

Do you remember when Creed guy and Limp Bizkit guy were feuding? Just imagine if those two titans had actually fought. It would be like if Count Dooku battled Goku. Also, imagine what would have happened if both had been injuried and prevented from playing music ever again! It would be like someone stopping Michelangelo from sculpting his David.

[quote name='punqsux'][quote name='The Shiznit'][quote name='punqsux']you can only take rage so seriously, i mean, an activist band on a major label? its just hard to believe them 100% when bands like choking victim were doing way better stuff then them.

They put on on a pretty intense show though.[/quote]

yeah but rage wrote their songs very vaugley.
choking victim wrote thei beleifs straight up.
they had a song called shaq-fu america, about how america always blames every other country for things that happen to us (the wtc bombing in the mid 90's specifically)

as "political" as rage might seem, they were watered down, either by nature or by their label.[/quote]
Maybe Rage was just a little more sensible...Being blunt with your lyrics doesn't and shouldn't make your message any more powerful.

But you're right...The label probably watered Rage's lyrics down.

Hmmm too many to pick from. The best of the 90's in my book:
U2
Smashing Pumpkins
Dr. Dre
Nirvana
Beastie Boys
Stone Temple Pilots

And even though its not my type of music, you have to acknowledge Madonna for that decade.

[quote name='thepityofmrt']Do you remember when Creed guy and Limp Bizkit guy were feuding? Just imagine if those two titans had actually fought. It would be like if Count Dooku battled Goku. Also, imagine what would have happened if both had been injuried and prevented from playing music ever again! It would be like someone stopping Michelangelo from sculpting his David.[/quote]

Oh ok, I get it, this guy was being sarcastic the whole time.

Either that or he is the silliest thing on two feet.

If by silly I mean disturbingly stupid.

[quote name='thepityofmrt']Do you remember when Creed guy and Limp Bizkit guy were feuding? Just imagine if those two titans had actually fought. It would be like if Count Dooku battled Goku. Also, imagine what would have happened if both had been injuried and prevented from playing music ever again! It would be like someone stopping Michelangelo from sculpting his David.[/quote]
I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or if you just have no taste in music.

All I know is that it is not Tupac. The only hip-hop artist(s) that are even worthy of being nominated are The Roots and Outkast.

To be honest the 90's was filled with some nice songs but it was a weak decade compared to the 70's and 80's IMO.

[quote name='Ugamer_X']Being blunt with your lyrics doesn't and shouldn't make your message any more powerful.[/quote]

ill disagree with this on political bands. the more accesable the message is, the more people actully get it. it dosent change the message it just dosent avoid naming names.

[quote name='GameDude']Kurt Cobain or 2 Pac Shakur?[/quote]

Holy crap. Those were my two choices before ever even clicking on the thread. You read my frickin mind. It's still a tough choice. I really don't know.

When I say "the" I mean when people look back in 20 years and remember a certain artist the most. Like during the 50's (I think) it's Elvis. 60's Beatles. 80's Madonna, etc

[quote name='GameDude']When I say "the" I mean when people look back in 20 years and remember a certain artist the most. Like during the 50's (I think) it's Elvis. 60's Beatles. 80's Madonna, etc[/quote]

In that case, Nirvana.

[quote name='GameDude']When I say "the" I mean when people look back in 20 years and remember a certain artist the most. Like during the 50's (I think) it's Elvis. 60's Beatles. 80's Madonna, etc[/quote]

That's why I think the 90's was weak. Too much music was "disposable" (commercial). This even affected bands that frowned upon that sort of thing. No one is going to listen to "Oops I Did it Again" 20 years from now. There are few if any songs from the 90's that have the staying power of a "Bohemian Rhapsody", "Loving You", "September", "Isn't She Lovely", or "Fly Like an Eagle" (for example).

[quote name='"joystickz"'][quote name='"Trakan"'][quote name='"sblymnlcrymnl"'][quote name='"thepityofmrt"']Limp Bizkit or Creed.[/quote]

:rofl:[/quote] :rofl:

[quote name='GuilewasNK'][quote name='GameDude']When I say "the" I mean when people look back in 20 years and remember a certain artist the most. Like during the 50's (I think) it's Elvis. 60's Beatles. 80's Madonna, etc[/quote]

That's why I think the 90's was weak. Too much music was "disposable" (commercial). This even affected bands that frowned upon that sort of thing. No one is going to listen to "Oops I Did it Again" 20 years from now. There are few if any songs from the 90's that have the staying power of a "Bohemian Rhapsody", "Loving You", "September", "Isn't She Lovely", or "Fly Like an Eagle" (for example).[/quote]

Better than the 80s at least.

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl'][quote name='GuilewasNK'][quote name='GameDude']When I say "the" I mean when people look back in 20 years and remember a certain artist the most. Like during the 50's (I think) it's Elvis. 60's Beatles. 80's Madonna, etc[/quote]

That's why I think the 90's was weak. Too much music was "disposable" (commercial). This even affected bands that frowned upon that sort of thing. No one is going to listen to "Oops I Did it Again" 20 years from now. There are few if any songs from the 90's that have the staying power of a "Bohemian Rhapsody", "Loving You", "September", "Isn't She Lovely", or "Fly Like an Eagle" (for example).[/quote]

Better than the 80s at least.[/quote]

While nowhere near in comparison to the 60's and 70's, I fucking loved the 80's. :D

bread's done
Back