Whoever came up with the idea of putting a mic on your tv need to be fired now.

Mahoney07

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Mahoney07']http://www.joystiq.com/2008/07/15/nintendo-introduces-the-wii-speak-community-microphone/#comments

wtf Nintendo? How stupid can you be? I have a big screen TV with ok speakers so I will either be too far away for it to pick up my voice or the mic will pick up the sound of my game. Probably both.

I swear if the Wii 2 doesn't have a hard drive or a real mic I'm going to give up on Nintendo.[/quote]

If you think that'll be a problem, I've got a 18 month old who likes to babble loudly and shriek. I hook that up and any recipient will think this is an asylum or a female slaughterhouse. No way in Hell anyone will buy that it's coming from Animal Crossing.

im sure a 3rd party manufacturer will come up with a headset.
nintendo giving us the ability to chat is enough

[quote name='decrot']im sure a 3rd party manufacturer will come up with a headset.
nintendo giving us the ability to chat is enough[/quote]
Yep. Seems fine to me.

voice chat for online games is a solid step. If they can add this to existing games, like mario kart- fantastic.
If the mic works decently, I could definitely see myself using it, especially for splitscreen multiplayer

Yeah the mic thing doesn't really work for me as well. I have no interest with talking with the 9 year olds in the wii community.

Speakerphone in general doesn't even work that well. I said it in the other threads, a headset just made too much sense so they did something different.

[quote name='nevposey']Yeah the mic thing doesn't really work for me as well. I have no interest with talking with the 9 year olds in the wii community.[/QUOTE]

LOL, I just pictured Chris Hanson reading a Wii chat transcript on the next "Catch a Predator" Dateline.

I think this is good for parents, who want to know what's going on in their kid's online game. But that's pretty much it.

I'm sure a third party will release a USB headset (I'm assuming that's how it connects).

[quote name='KillJoi99']I swear, everything Nintendo does=FAIL.[/QUOTE]

Judging from your info, I have to ask, what are you even doing here in the Wii forum?

You know what? I like the idea for one speakerphone for all the voices. This way you don't have to buy x amounts to play with somebody else over (then again, why would 2 people have headsets in one house on a single wii?). Least they are sorta considerate...

I like how, as soon as Nintendo finally implements voice chat, people bitch about it. No, it's not a headset, but there's more than one way to skin a cat.

Keep in mind that none of us have used it yet. People complained about the wheel for Mario Kart for months before release, but judging from the threads here it's gotten a pretty positive response once people actually got their hands on it.

[quote name='Foo228']You know what? I like the idea for one speakerphone for all the voices. This way you don't have to buy x amounts to play with somebody else over (then again, why would 2 people have headsets in one house on a single wii?). Least they are sorta considerate...[/QUOTE]

Given the Wii's intended use as a SOCIAL console (something that seems to get overlooked a lot), it wouldn't surprise me if that was part of the reasoning.

It also wouldn't surprise me if they did it this way to keep it as simple as possible. If you're trying to sell this to the non-gamer crowd, an all-in-one unit you can plop on top of your TV and forget about is a lot easier than separate headsets.

[quote name='nevposey']Yeah the mic thing doesn't really work for me as well. I have no interest with talking with the 9 year olds in the wii community.[/QUOTE]

So what the fuck are we?

[quote name='theflicker']Judging from your info, I have to ask, what are you even doing here in the Wii forum?[/quote]

I saw the press conference and I would like to talk about Nintendo's epic fail.

Match....and....game.

This speaker also hasn't been released yet. There's still time for Nintendo to gauge the reactions of its fanbase and come up with a solution. I think Vinny is on to something, what with the speaker being designed for an open experience for parental monitoring.

I have to hope for a headset experience by some third party, although I have to admit I'm flabbergasted Nintendo hasn't created this as an option. If all it does is plug into the console's USB port, we can count on alternate peripherals day one.

[quote name='theflicker']Judging from your info, I have to ask, what are you even doing here in the Wii forum?[/quote]
its what people like to do when they have no job an still live in their mom's basement

[quote name='decrot']its what people like to do when they have no job an still live in their mom's basement[/quote]
I'm 16, I have 2 jobs (I'm off today), and I know the difference between a capital and lowercase letter. How about you?

[quote name='KillJoi99']I'm 16, I have 2 jobs (I'm off today), and I know the difference between a capital and lowercase letter. How about you?[/quote]
16, that explains it.
do you still need your parents to pick up halo 3 for ya?
and this is an informal message board kid.

party0052.gif

Still don't know how to use capital letters then? I guess it shows that age doesn't really make that much of a difference.

But hey, at least we both agree GTA IV was shit.

[quote name='KillJoi99']Still don't know how to use capital letters then? I guess it shows that age doesn't really make that much of a difference.

But hey, at least we both agree GTA IV was shit.[/quote]
really? thats all you got? some lame ass comment about my typing in an informal environment?

also, how did you get GTA IV? youre not suppose to play that. its m for mature.

*yawn* Ill get off the topic of you being 'unedjumikated' when you find something else besides my age.

Oh, and you actually defended my post in the GTA DS thread.

[quote name='KillJoi99']*yawn* Ill get off the topic of you being 'unedjumikated' when you find something else besides my age.

Oh, and you actually defended my post in the GTA DS thread.[/quote]
oh i agree with you on that. but i fucking hate people who just troll the wii forum.

if it works, i'll love it.
i don't really like gaming with a headset on.
and for games like mario kart, if you're racing online with 2 players, it would be nice to just speak freely. i'm not sure how this will apply with animal crossing. it's usually just a 1 person at a time game. but perhaps that will change in this one.

as for hearing other people in the room. i think it's kind of fun. and i know that my wife will get a kick out of hearing everything.

as for if it will work, i'm not sure how it won't pick up the sound from the game. but i have to assume that they've thought of that.

I haven't read anything about this, but I have a hard time believing Nintendo will allow any sort of voice chat outside of specific games using friend codes.

I wouldn't even be surprised if there were separate friend codes just for voice chat.

[quote name='Zing']I haven't read anything about this, but I have a hard time believing Nintendo will allow any sort of voice chat outside of specific games using friend codes.

I wouldn't even be surprised if there were separate friend codes just for voice chat.[/QUOTE]

I don't think there will be separate friend codes for it, but given that Brawl requires separate codes to share levels/pictures and to actually play, it wouldn't be unprecedented.

I do agree on the "specific games" point, but time will tell there. I'm a little worried that this is going to die a quick death like Nintendo peripherals of the past, but this has more uses than, say, the DS Rumble Pak.

It will get dropped like a rock just the same as the Wii Wheel and the Zapper. As long as the AC community stays semi-active for a one year cycle and I can complete my catalogue it's all good.

Just a warning to you bitches: I've got a whiny, nasally voice.

[quote name='cochesecochese']
Just a warning to you bitches: I've got a whiny, nasally voice.[/QUOTE]

And you named yourself cochese? Twice even?

I revoke your username, sir!

I'm wondering how well this microphone is going to work. The sound from the TV and the room you're will most likely cause serious audio problems.

Heh. Nintendo is trying to make everyone look like ass hats. "Hey, hold this up to your face, pretend its a saxophone and put this on top of your TV and shout into it while sitting on this board here to pretend your riding a cow! It's WIII FUN!"

*slaps forhead*

Like someone else said, Nyko will come out with something better in three months. At least now some Wii games will support voice chat.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']Heh. Nintendo is trying to make everyone look like ass hats. [/QUOTE]

Some people don't need the help.

Wow. It's 29.99 and not included with animal crossing. DAMN. Just want to say that I think that all accessories are too much money on ALL systems.

I'll make the counter-argument that by going with a room mic, more people will actually use voice chat - once it's hooked up it can stay hooked up and always be available. Also bystanders (parents, brothers, sisters, your kids) can get in on the conversation, which I think could be fun, and from a parent's perspective, useful ("Cut out the language, Jimmy, or the game is over!") I can't believe they would release it if they didn't have a solution for the issue of picking up the sound from the TV. I suggest we wait and see how it works out.

Having said that, I do have a problem with it. My nephews have a Wii and they will likely get this game, and I'd like my kids to be able to play with them, but the Wii is at their father's house, and I DO NOT LIKE their father. I don't want to even hear his voice and I don't want my kids interacting with him at all. So I'm actually uncomfortable with the idea of a room mic for that reason, and would rather they played with a headset so their father can't be in the conversation. So, how's that for back-pedaling? :)

Am I the only one who was not only disappointed in the mic, but the entire press conference? I couldn't wait to get home from work to see the new updates, but nothing worthy at all (aside from 1:1 motion which was announced the day before). I was at least hoping for one new Zelda pic. :cry:

I personally can't wait for the flood of YouTube videos like the kid screaming at his mom for chocolate milk while playing Call of Duty or something.

It should be trivial for the game to negate the TV sound. I mean, the system itself is outputting the sound, so it can just use that data, invert it, and apply it to the incoming mic data with a little processing.

[quote name='Zing']It should be trivial for the game to negate the TV sound. I mean, the system itself is outputting the sound, so it can just use that data, invert it, and apply it to the incoming mic data with a little processing.[/QUOTE]

I came up with this exact idea, actually, spurred on by the fact that the WiiSpeak has some sort of gray box in the middle of wire, and I'm wondering if anything is housed in there. Can't think of much that could fit in that tiny of a space, and I don't know anything about noise cancellation, but I guess it could be entirely possible.

GoNintendo tested the game at E3 and said that the voices come through loud and clear despite the noisy nature of the show floor. That's pretty encouraging. I can't remember the last time my house was overrun with developers all blaring music and talking loudly to try and get my attention. Point being is that if it can work well in that environment, I expect it to work well inside homes.

As an aside, apparently Animal Crossing also supports keyboards in-game, so you can type messages that appear over your head (I think the DS version did this?) and have them appear to everyone. Good to see that sort of thing starting to trickle into games.

I mean, it's like Nintendo is almost halfway listening to us. Imagine that.

[quote name='Zing']It should be trivial for the game to negate the TV sound. I mean, the system itself is outputting the sound, so it can just use that data, invert it, and apply it to the incoming mic data with a little processing.[/quote]

Yes, this is exactly how any concert works when there are speakers behind the performers.

I only have one question about the mic. Will it allow for voice chat on games that are already out? If I can use this to talk while playing Mario Kart I'll shell out the $30 for it no doubt.

[quote name='ZForce915']I only have one question about the mic. Will it allow for voice chat on games that are already out? If I can use this to talk while playing Mario Kart I'll shell out the $30 for it no doubt.[/quote]
i highly doubt it. in the presentation they only stated that it was compatible for AC:CF. also, nintendo doesnt seem to have a way to patch any games.

bread's done
Back