Why AC/DC deserves better.

Louisville has this fireworks show called Thunder Over Louisville. They have some shitty AC/DC song as theme music that was really cool in high school ... 20 years ago.

I DVRed their concert on Palladia right after I bought my HDTV. That was enough to keep me from checking the listings of that channel for a while. The Killers did a better show and they're a bunch of emo homos who cut themselves before shows instead of doing drugs and fucking groupies.

i'm not sure they even want to be categorized or anything by the mainstream media/press. I for one love my rock music and AC/DC is in the top of the list among the favorites and sure they are underrated but hey, they did get a video game made after them (xbox 360, ps3) and it contained alot of their great songs among them Live versions which are even better in my opinion. Just because the kids nowadays don't appreciate or understand the older Rock music, doesn't mean everyone feels that way and I for one give the band much props.

[quote name='tiredfornow']If I could still tag threads, I'd tag this one with "shitty butt rock" and "non-influential music".[/QUOTE]

you've got to be kidding honestly, really. who do you think is better? taking back sunday? LOL. Kids these days are a joke. Learn your Rock history and respect the greats. AC/DC is among one of many bands who were influential and who have done alot so do your research. No current band is doing what the older rock bands did and that is outsell them in cd's, concerts or anything else.

AC/DC is okay now and then, but once I discovered Nazareth's Hair of the Dog my play list got pruned down to three songs or so.

[quote name='intoxicated662']you've got to be kidding honestly, really. who do you think is better? taking back sunday? LOL. Kids these days are a joke. Learn your Rock history and respect the greats. AC/DC is among one of many bands who were influential and who have done alot so do your research. No current band is doing what the older rock bands did and that is outsell them in cd's, concerts or anything else.[/QUOTE]

lol ok old man

plz tell us more about how nothing made past 1980 is worth a damn

ps - who did AC/DC influence? I keep seeing people bring this up but they never actually name anybody this band has influenced

All of these people say that all of AC/DC's songs sound alike and I bet they couldn't name any 2 that do and make a legit case for it. Just becasue two songs have a A, G, and D chord doesn't mean that the swing or progression is the same. And their lyrics are pretty bad lately, from "Fly on the Wall" till recently, but some of Bon's and Brian's lyrics were great. The point is, if it's not anything off Back in Black, or the songs Thunderstruck, For Those About To Rock, or T.N,t, most people couldn't name anymore. The mainstream, and most of the people talking shit haven't even heard of Flick of the Switch, Powerage, Let There Be Rock (before Rock Band for you mainstream posers out there) Fly on the Wall, High Voltage, Ballbreaker, Stiff Upper Lip. It's all great stuff and different. So before you act like you know them and their music, don't judge. And alot people say that the music is easy to play and write but if it is so easy why doesn't everyone write and play some of the same old stuff and get rich and famous?? Becasue it isn't so easy is it? There music isn't popular because it isn't flashy and they don't change their formula. If you got a great recipe for a cake, and millions of people love to eat it, why screw with it?? So in closing I would just like to say it's only rock n' roll, it's about having a party, drinking, smoking and telling girls "Let me put my love into you babe, let me put my love on the line, yeah let me put my love into you babe, let me cut you're cake with my knife" it's about the life and times of a common man just living life tothe fullest, in other words, rock n' roll. :cool:

Never was a huge fan of theirs. Their songs are ok, but they all sound the same to me. The lead singer sounds like a constipated old lady.

I bought the live track pack for Rock Band for $5 and I think I paid too much (and it takes a whopping 700M of space!)

I'm surprised at some of the AC/DC hate here actually. I guess no music band appeals to everyone.

[quote name='intoxicated662'] No current band is doing what the older rock bands did and that is outsell them in cd's, concerts or anything else.[/QUOTE]Um, actually, I enjoy Justin Bieber, Lady Gaga, and Miley Cyrus a whole ton more than this garbage rock band because of their accomplishments in the music industry. Selling out arenas, tons of CDs, merch, barbie dolls, candy, all over the magazines, TV shows, movies.

Get the fuck out of here with that sales garbage. Who gives a shit how many records were sold? And yeah, because I don't enjoy that poor excuse for a band, that automatically means I enjoy Taking Back Sunday, because that's all who is left in this sea of shitty music. LOL. LOL.

[quote name='Sporadic']

ps - who did AC/DC influence? I keep seeing people bring this up but they never actually name anybody this band has influenced[/QUOTE]

Jet, Airbourne, Alice in Chains, Six Feet Under, every punk band ever created, Van Halen, Iron Maiden, Exodus, Iced Earth, Bon Jovi, Clutch, Pantera, Hank III, Def Leppard, The Datsuns, Alter Bridge, Megadeath, Guns N Roses, The Cult, Disturbed, Wolfmother, Foo Fighters, The Darkness, Year Long Disaster, Metallica, Slayer, Motley Crue, Green Day, Rhino Bucket, Buckcherry, Soundgarden, Nirvana, etc etc etc etc etc.

AC/DC sucks.
[quote name='gargus']Haha, just because they werent born here doesnt mean they arent american music. Look at sean connery, he wasnt born in america but he certainly is considered a american movie actor now isnt he? Or eric clapton is considered american music but he wasnt born in america. Or dan aykroyd is a american actor isnt he? Nope he was born in canada. You really should put more thought into something before you say it.[/QUOTE]
... Wow.

[quote name='evildeadjedi']Jet, Airbourne, Alice in Chains, Six Feet Under, every punk band ever created, Van Halen, Iron Maiden, Exodus, Iced Earth, Bon Jovi, Clutch, Pantera, Hank III, Def Leppard, The Datsuns, Alter Bridge, Megadeath, Guns N Roses, The Cult, Disturbed, Wolfmother, Foo Fighters, The Darkness, Year Long Disaster, Metallica, Slayer, Motley Crue, Green Day, Rhino Bucket, Buckcherry, Soundgarden, Nirvana, etc etc etc etc etc.[/QUOTE]

lol ok, believe that if you want

[quote name='Sporadic']lol ok, believe that if you want[/QUOTE]

I'll go by what many bands have said in various interviews and what rock journalists have said in various articles. If you don't want to believe them then that's your prerogative.

[quote name='tiredfornow']

Who gives a shit how many records were sold? And yeah, because I don't enjoy that poor excuse for a band, that automatically means I enjoy Taking Back Sunday, because that's all who is left in this sea of shitty music. LOL. LOL.[/QUOTE]

I don't know what kind of music you're into, but "poor excuse for a band" is a pretty far stretch. All the Bon Scott albums are really good. Powerage is my favorite album of that time. I think that's AC/DC's best album. The guitar playing on that one is great. Down Payment Blues, Riff Raff, Sin City, Kicked in the Teeth...every song on Powerage is killer. The deep cuts on Highway to Hell like Love Hungry Man, Night Prowler, Beating Around the Bush, etc are real good too.

I'll agree with you on the Brian Johnson era though. I don't enjoy much of Brian Johnson's stuff, mainly because it's tiring. There's maybe one or two good songs and the rest is filler. The newer albums are OK, but to me they're boring. His voice has also changed a lot. I didn't care much for it before, now I really don't like it.

[quote name='evildeadjedi']I'll go by what many bands have said in various interviews and what rock journalists have said in various articles.[/QUOTE]

[citation needed]

[quote name='Sporadic'][citation needed][/QUOTE]

Here's one. I'm sure there's others out there.

[quote name='Sporadic']I wouldn't brag about that.[/QUOTE]

Nobody's bragging. You asked for an example. I gave you one.

[quote name='tiredfornow']Um, actually, I enjoy Justin Bieber, Lady Gaga, and Miley Cyrus a whole ton more than this garbage rock band because of their accomplishments in the music industry. Selling out arenas, tons of CDs, merch, barbie dolls, candy, all over the magazines, TV shows, movies.

Get the fuck out of here with that sales garbage. Who gives a shit how many records were sold? And yeah, because I don't enjoy that poor excuse for a band, that automatically means I enjoy Taking Back Sunday, because that's all who is left in this sea of shitty music. LOL. LOL.[/QUOTE]

The point of this thread is, even though they don't get much mention in the mainstream music press, they've still managed to sell a massive amount of albums (because people like their music) and sell out multiple giant stadiums 36 years on (because they're a great live act).

I've got a book about the band. In their early days in Australia, they packed clubs to the brim and left them in shambles after, got stampeded at a public event, and appeared on television many times starting just a year after they formed. And this carried over to Europe and England a few years later.

They're an amazing rags-to-riches story. And they did it without a massive media hype machine behind them. That Midnight Special clip in my first post? That was their first American TV appearance, and they only got it because they were opening for Aerosmith at the time. They clearly rock a lot harder than Aerosmith.

Bon Scott wrote amazing lyrics, and Brian's weren't too bad at first. And before you criticise their singing style any further, I think y'all don't like them because 1, you've probably only heard Thunderstruck, which was recorded after Brian's voice had degraded from screaming for 10 years straight (you try doing that and see if you don't end up sounding like you've been gargling shards of glass), and 2, you're used to pussy bands who had Dean Martin as an influence.

The singing fits the music perfectly, and the music rocks. Metallica is sludge, Aerosmith is bland, The Rolling Stones haven't done anything worthwhile in at least 30 years, Led Zeppelin is a cult who don't have much good beyond their radio hits, and the other 70's classic rock bands mostly wear glam outfits and nearly have more ballads in their catalogues than real rockers.

Yeah, I'm biased as heck - and for good f***ing reason! :bomb:

And stop f***ing with the f***ing tags!!! :twoguns:

[quote name='intoxicated662']you've got to be kidding honestly, really. who do you think is better? taking back sunday? LOL. Kids these days are a joke. Learn your Rock history and respect the greats. AC/DC is among one of many bands who were influential and who have done alot so do your research. No current band is doing what the older rock bands did and that is outsell them in cd's, concerts or anything else.[/QUOTE]
There are many music fans that don't care for AC/DC actually. And no we aren't talking about Hot Topic people either. I mean it's obvious that not everybody will like them but many music nerds aren't exactly fond of them either.

[quote name='Nifty_Shark']There are many music fans that don't care for AC/DC actually. And no we aren't talking about Hot Topic people either. I mean it's obvious that not everybody will like them but many music nerds aren't exactly fond of them either.[/QUOTE]

Exactly, not everyone will like a band. I don't care if you're Zepplin, Sabbath. Frank Sinatra, Rush, Elvis, The Beatles, Michael Jackson, etc. There is NEVER going to be band or musician that everyone will like since we all have opinions.
Music nerds are not fond of them mostly because they don't understand how a band that plays simple hard rock and has not changed much in over 30 years became so huge and are still relevant today.

However, based on tours and album sales a ton of people love AC/DC. If you're top five on all time album sales and one of your albums is number two all time obviously you did something right.

[quote name='evildeadjedi']Music nerds are not fond of them mostly because they don't understand how a band that plays simple hard rock and has not changed much in over 30 years became so huge and are still relevant today.

However, based on tours and album sales a ton of people love AC/DC. If you're top five on all time album sales and one of your albums is number two all time obviously you did something right.[/QUOTE]

That deserves a big fat BINGO!

[quote name='evildeadjedi']music nerds are not fond of them mostly because they don't understand how a band that plays simple hard rock and has not changed much in over 30 years became so huge and are still relevant today.

However, based on tours and album sales a ton of people love ac/dc. If you're top five on all time album sales and one of your albums is number two all time obviously you did something right.[/quote]

ABBA > AC/DC

300 million sales > 200 million sales

[quote name='TurboChickenMan']Rock > Pop

AC/DC has the best sellling ROCK album of all time.[/QUOTE]

Sorry duder, the sales don't lie.

ABBA > AC/DC
Pop > Rock

Also where is the AC/DC movie? Oh that's right, they don't have one...let alone the top grossing musical movie of all time.

mammamiaposter.jpg

:cool:

[quote name='Sporadic']

Also where is the AC/DC movie?

[/QUOTE]
MaximumOverdrivePoster.jpg

I don't know about you but, I would rather watch Maximum Overdrive over Mamma Mia any day.

[quote name='evildeadjedi']
MaximumOverdrivePoster.jpg

I don't know about you but, I would rather watch Maximum Overdrive over Mamma Mia any day.[/QUOTE]

Maximum Overdrive gross = $7,433,663
Mamma Mia gross = $609,841,637

Mamma Mia > Maximum Overdrive

[quote name='TurboChickenMan']CONTENT-wise...[/QUOTE]

Sorry buddy sales don't lie. If Maximum Overdrive was good, it would have made more money like Mamma Mia.

If you sold 300+ million records and your movie is the top grossing musical of all time obviously you did something right.

ABBA is one of the greatest bands ever.

ABBA and AC/DC are two separate genres. You can't compare them, and you look like a fool trying to.

EDIT: Note that throughout this thread, I have been comparing the 'DC to other Rock acts...

[quote name='Sporadic']Sorry buddy sales don't lie. If Maximum Overdrive was good, it would have made more money like Mamma Mia.

If you sold 300+ million records and your movie is the top grossing musical of all time obviously you did something right.

ABBA is one of the greatest bands ever.[/QUOTE]

Ok...this thread just went down the toilet.

AC/DC in the end of the day is nothing more than a bone crushing wall pounding no thoughts to the lyrics band for people who simply want something really energetic to listen to. Nothing wrong with that since AC/DC is damn enjoyable for what it is. But you can't deny the fact that the band certainly isn't going to be remembered for any semblance of intelligence in the song writing department.

As far as ABBA is concerned they certainly have their place in music history and I generally do enjoy listening to my West German "Target" copies of Greatest Hits Volume 1 and 2. But that Mamma Mia movie on the other hand..... is much like dog shit, vomit, and piss mixed together then left to roast outside in 100 degree weather for a few hours. Then you take that gross shit and use it as frosting on top of a nice cake. What do you get in the end...

A fucking ruined mess.

[quote name='Demolition Man']But you can't deny the fact that the band certainly isn't going to be remembered for any semblance of intelligence in the song writing department.[/QUOTE]

I don't think they care. As long as people like their overall sound.

[quote name='TurboChickenMan']I don't think they care. As long as people like their overall sound.[/QUOTE]

That's fine, but don't expect them to hold up critically like Johnny Cash. Sales and popularity do not necessarily translate to deerved critical acclaim, just look at Linkin Park. There's a reason Butthead wears an AC/DC tshirt.

Led Zepplin is the legendary band that was always unfairly taken down a peg by the press. ACDC, meh.

[quote name='TurboChickenMan']ABBA and AC/DC are two separate genres. You can't compare them, and you look like a fool trying to.

EDIT: Note that throughout this thread, I have been comparing the 'DC to other Rock acts...[/QUOTE]

Of course the AC/DC fan wouldn't be able to figure out what I was doing. It isn't that obtuse, think about it.

[quote name='TurboChickenMan']
I issue a challenge - Show me a more energetic rock band (thrash metal & grindcore don't count).[/QUOTE]
"Show me any band! Well, except for these ones" doesn't do much to prove your point.

Please don't bother bumping this shitty thread again.

AC/DC is the Nickelback of their generation. Im not saying this as a bad thing or a good thing, just if you love one of their songs you will love them as a band. Every one of their songs sounds exactly the same so if you like bands that change it up a bit every so often you may grow tired of them pretty quickly.

I always thought they were OVERrated by the mainstream media personally.

[quote name='bardockkun']Oh snap you said thrash metal and grindcore, but you didn't list off mathcore, which is what Dillinger Escape Plan is usually labeled under[/QUOTE]

I guess I should've been clearer - show me a more energetic rock band (heavy metal, punk, and all of their derivative genres don't count).

The purpose of this restriction is so only bands in the same general vein as AC/DC are compared. It's just common sense.

P.S. AC/DC is often called "heavy metal", but they are actually "hard rock". Also, Led Zeppelin does have some heavy metal tunes, but their total output is a mix of several genres. I'd personally put them into the broad description of "classic rock". If you don't like that term, then just unclassifiable (ignorant, I'm sure). In any case, they count towards the challenge (if anyone wants to use them).

P.P.S. To whoever is messing with the tags (again), AC/DC aren't even political.

bread's done
Back