Why Are PS1 Games so Hard to Find Now?

beetlegum

CAGiversary!
I guess this is the normal evolution of console gaming, but I am still shocked that PS1 games have gone MIA so fast. It seems like just a few years ago, almost all the stores carried PS1 games. Certainly if I had known the value of these games would sky rocketed, I would have kept my big PS1 library.

I can only find used PS1 games at my local Gamestop and a game trading store. Even the pawn shops only have crap titles like early versions of Madden and other sports titles. The RPGS are extremely difficult to find anywhere. Go on Ebay or Amazon, and be prepared to pay an enormous amount for some of these games.

You know, I just realized that now.

I think, for most retail chains, store space is a preminum, and PS1 games aren't really in high demand anymore.

[quote name='Scahom1']You know, I just realized that now.

I think, for most retail chains, store space is a preminum, and PS1 games aren't really in high demand anymore.[/QUOTE]

That's pretty much it. I mean, look at how some stores have cleared out games and such insanely low prices... BB, CC, TRu, etc. And still, there game sections are really cramped even though they're alloting more space to them. By the end of this year, stores will have to have enough space for PS2, XB, GC, GBA, DS, PSP, 360, PS3, and Rev titles. And while the GC and XB games will quickly dissappear (since very few new games are comming out for those two systems), the PS2 will still take up a bit of room.

I still see some in B&M stores like CompUSA and Best Buy but the selection is very limited.

I agree that it does seem strange that the games almost dissapeared considering you could find games from past generations (like NES games well into the mid 90's) not that long ago.

They not hard to find in NYC.The 3-4 gamestops around here received a large shipment of playstation one games from the warehouse.Some pretty good game came out of it like Castelvania Chronciles,Vanguard Bandits,Suikoden 1 &2,Valkyrie Profile,Alundra,Grandia,Einhander,Elemental Gearbolt,Intelligent Qube,Tales of Destiny II and some other rare stuff.

They are either trying to clear their inventory or they sell very well here.I'm like their best customer's for playstation one games.Everytime I visit eb or gamestop I head straight for the playstation one selection first.

Soon enough Gamestop and EB will stop selling PS1 games. With all the new stuff needing shelf attention PS1 will be gone.

[quote name='Madskills1182']Soon enough Gamestop and EB will stop selling PS1 games. With all the new stuff needing shelf attention PS1 will be gone.[/quote]

Most of the stores I've been too did that a long time ago, if anything they've got a few PS1 games tucked away in a discount bin or corner.

Oddly the Game Crazy stores in Yakima carry not only PS1 games but also games for systems back to the original nintendo and sega master system.

EB Games has been my best place for finding PSone games. I visit as many of them as I can. If you are looking for a particular one, I can normally find it a local EB(just PM me). I just scored Castlevania Chronicles and Legend of Mana for $15 each. I listed them on ebay for $39.99 and $34.99. They dissappear in less than 48 hours.

2 of the Gamestops I regularly go to have all their used PS1 stuff in the glass case behind the counters now. near where they keep their used PSP's. the EB closest to where I live have them all out on the floor, bookcased somewhat in 3 large wire bins. they get good things here and there, mostly due to trades.

wonder if any more will pop up. I smell an FFVII re-release when Advent Children comes out....or an announcement of a remake for the PS3.

Pretty nice of sony to make the ps3 BC all the way to the PS1 considering the games don't sell anymore.

[quote name='Puffa469']If you think finding PS1 games is hard, try looking for Dreamcast or Saturn games! :cry:[/QUOTE]
Saturn games are almost impossible!!!!

The only store in Fort Wayne that carries either Dreamcast or Saturn is McVans. Well, I think Gamecrazy also has a few crappy dreamcast games. I wish I would have picked up a dreamcast when they were still in stores. I spent an entire summer looking for saturn games at garage sales and only found one.

Hmmm, some wierd stuff are happening with the ps1 games.When I went back gamestop with many ps1 games and someone bought half of the ps1 games.The other weird part is when I went to another gamestop today and they received a huge shipment ps1 one games.I was amazed that gamestop have over 150 complete ps1 and like only 20 disk only games.Too bad,there was no really great game exept some semi-rare or decent games like devil dice,3 new tread of fate,parasite eve gh,non gh chrono cross,non gh ff ix,riven,tetris plus,family feud,dino crisis,tekken and some other stuff.I pick up some decent stuff like parasite eve and xenogears.

I luv the new merge of eb and gamestop store availability.I picked up so many good games during that period through now.Surprisily,most of the game were in near mint-mint condition except most disc one.I figure that most of these game were pick up by children and gaved up after a few hours.

Here are some of my pick up:

My Gamestop apparently already stopped selling PS1 games, I didnt see any last time I was there, yet when I searched for a PS1 game through the online inventory thing it says my Gamestop has a copy, so idk....good thing the many pawn shops in my city have plenty of PS1 games. I have picked up some good ones from a certain pawn shop (all $8 each): Symphony of the Night, Tales of Destiny, and Star Ocean Second Story. I felt pretty happy when I saw those.

[quote name='fatbeer']

[/QUOTE]

damn. thats a lot of good/rare stuff you got there. how many different EB's and Gamestops did you need to go to? just those 2 you mentioned? makes me wonder if the Gamestops and EB's I go to lack stuff like this because employees get to it first. boo.

I'm lucky to see any PS1 games in my GS or EB. If they do have any they are very crappy games. Nobody trades in the good ones around where I live.

[quote name='fatbeer']Hmmm, some wierd stuff are happening with the ps1 games.When I went back gamestop with many ps1 games and someone bought half of the ps1 games.The other weird part is when I went to another gamestop today and they received a huge shipment ps1 one games.I was amazed that gamestop have over 150 complete ps1 and like only 20 disk only games.Too bad,there was no really great game exept some semi-rare or decent games like devil dice,3 new tread of fate,parasite eve gh,non gh chrono cross,non gh ff ix,riven,tetris plus,family feud,dino crisis,tekken and some other stuff.I pick up some decent stuff like parasite eve and xenogears.

I luv the new merge of eb and gamestop store availability.I picked up so many good games during that period through now.Surprisily,most of the game were in near mint-mint condition except most disc one.I figure that most of these game were pick up by children and gaved up after a few hours.

[/quote]

Herc's Adventures!!

Man, I envy you.

I got lucky the other day at my EB though. I got Guilty Gear for the PS One.

$5.39 after the Edge card.

I think EB and Gamestop will still stock PS One games online. The fact that the PS 2 can play the games gives them longevity. At the B&M level they will probably be harder to find when the PS 3 and Revolution come out.

I know of a fairly new gamestop that has like 30 new but opened copies of rhapsody and Xenogears.. not much other selection. They're jacking up the prices of a lot of them too.. Threads of Fate is like $30, same for FFVII.. getting rediculous.

I want to play FFVII with my girlfriend but I could wait....I could wait a loooong time until it drops back down to $15-20 because I hate the game anyway (hehe, I'm a FFVI zealot)

Man, EB.com only has 118 PS One titles in inventory. It was only a few months ago that they had 500 or more. Are they having another BOGO (buy one, get one) sale or something?

yeah, gamestops in tx still carry ps1 games, some good ones (Persona 2, Breath of Fire IV, etc) but they're always around 25-30 bucks...

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Man, EB.com only has 118 PS One titles in inventory. It was only a few months ago that they had 500 or more. Are they having another BOGO (buy one, get one) sale or something?[/QUOTE]

Ha! That is funny. I have more than that in my personal inventory at home!

[quote name='Madskills1182']Saturn games are almost impossible!!!![/QUOTE]

Tell me about it, the only store here in Mobile that even had them closed up months ago

TurboGrafx 16 games... even harder to find for me... since i refuse to get into bidding wars on ebay

[quote name='fatbeer']Hmmm, some wierd stuff are happening with the ps1 games.When I went back gamestop with many ps1 games and someone bought half of the ps1 games.The other weird part is when I went to another gamestop today and they received a huge shipment ps1 one games.I was amazed that gamestop have over 150 complete ps1 and like only 20 disk only games.Too bad,there was no really great game exept some semi-rare or decent games like devil dice,3 new tread of fate,parasite eve gh,non gh chrono cross,non gh ff ix,riven,tetris plus,family feud,dino crisis,tekken and some other stuff.I pick up some decent stuff like parasite eve and xenogears.

[/quote]

I've been going on a world wide search for FFVII. I will pay you for one of those I've been looking for one for about a couple months. You're so lucky i'd do anything for that

As soon as EB / GS stop taking in used PS One games in trade (June 1st), it's going to get ALOT harder to find them... expect the prices on these things to skyrocket.

As for me, I just found a Disney DDR the other night at a GS, so I'm happy :D

Most stores around me have little left in the way of PS1. I may get what I can tomorrow while I still can. Prices on some good ones are rediculous too but I know I have passed up on some that I wanted to play before. I understand that they need to make room for the next gen. but it sucks because it will be a lot harder to find good copies now other than ebay.

This really sucks for me because I just got a PS2 and there are many classic PS One games I've missed out on. I went to like 5 game stopes (EB's/GS's/1 GameCrazy) and couldnt find too many good games. The ones I did find were mainly disc only :whistle2:( :whistle2:(

Does anyone know when the next Buy 2 get 1 free is going to be at EB/GS?
I really want to pick up some psone games, but only if during this kind of sale.

I guess it depends on where you live and what kind of stores you have next to you. Even some local stores can carry a lot more. I live in Portland, ME and the best thing about where I live is the Bull Moose Music store right by the mall. It's the biggest one in the chain (total of 10 stores throughout ME/NH).

Anyways, the warehouse store by the mall sells: Atari, NES, SNES, DC, GEN, SATURN, 32X, N64, GBA, DS, PSP, PSX, PS2, GC, XBOX, and XBOX360 stuff. They sell new/used stuff and even have a crapload of Rainbow Six/Dino Crisis (PSX) NEW/SEALED. Basically they will take any game related trade-in for store credit and they have a huge gaming section. So it's easier for people like me to find PSX games and even DC games.

bread's done
Back