Why do EBgames employees scare away potential customers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Demontooth']I bought a $465 microwave at HH Gregg over the weekend, the guy asked me if I wanted an extended warranty for $39.99, I said no, and he said, it's ten years. Ten years for $39.99?? I bought it.[/quote]

A $465 microwave??? Is it a walk-in?

[quote name='guessed'][quote name='Demontooth']I bought a $465 microwave at HH Gregg over the weekend, the guy asked me if I wanted an extended warranty for $39.99, I said no, and he said, it's ten years. Ten years for $39.99?? I bought it.[/quote]

A $465 microwave??? Is it a walk-in?[/quote]

:rofl:

If people ask you to buy a extended warranty, all you got to say to them is "I don't have enough money for both". They aren't going to ask you to not buy the system, and just get the warranty. Just simply say you can only afford enough for the system.

In essence, CAG's aren't going to treat their items in a poor manner, as that would lead to spending more money on the same item again (theoretically).

The average person, however.....

[quote name='guessed']
I think we are all (unfortunately) familiar with the Walmart scam. Don't talk about it here. And (thankfully) people can't do the Walmart scam with consoles anyway, because they scan the serial number.[/quote]

i don't think the walmart employees in my area even know what a serial number is...now Lottery numbers and NASCAR numbers they know for sure. I've exchanged several electronic goods including consoles and never had any problem. Is the serial number in the bar code?

[quote name='gaelan'][quote name='guessed']
I think we are all (unfortunately) familiar with the Walmart scam. Don't talk about it here. And (thankfully) people can't do the Walmart scam with consoles anyway, because they scan the serial number.[/quote]

i don't think the walmart employees in my area even know what a serial number is...now Lottery numbers and NASCAR numbers they know for sure. I've exchanged several electronic goods including consoles and never had any problem. Is the serial number in the bar code?[/quote]

You, sir, are a douche. You realize you're fucked, and then you go and dump it off on someone else, fucking them over. Don't you feel bad for the poor bastard who ends up getting your shit? Think about it. I hope the next time you do it, you get someone else's shit console that they returned for a new one fraudulently. You are committing fraud, an illegal act, and I hope you get caught.

whenever someone tries to sell me a warranty I do this, its a sure fire way to avoid all warranties, make sure you use this in a monotone voice as if you are either extremely tired and/or depressed.
Do you want the warrant?
No
Why not?
I dont want it
Are you sure I mean.....etc etc.
No I dont wait it
But this and .....blah blah
No, may I have my product now

Ive done this several times, usually if you like tired or depressed employees wont even bother with you, also try and not pay attention when there explaining stuff, look around, look behind you, start a conversation with the person your with, if the employee is being ignored they will get frustrated and want to get rid of you ASAP which is exactly what you want.

[quote name='gaelan'][quote name='organicow'][quote name='gaelan']I still don't buy extended warranties. I just save receipts. When an item breaks, I buy an identical item from Walmart if possible. At home, I repackage with broken item, then take it back to Wally World and get a refund. That is my "poor mans warranty".[/quote]

uh oh. here come the flames. :?[/quote]

Don't worry, I've become quite flame retardant (no not retarded). My wife throws a fit and burns my arse everytime I commit this unethical act.[/quote]

If it's unethical and you know it's unethical, why the heck do you do it? :shock:

[quote name='Trakan'][quote name='gaelan'][quote name='guessed']

i don't think the walmart employees in my area even know what a serial number is...now Lottery numbers and NASCAR numbers they know for sure. I've exchanged several electronic goods including consoles and never had any problem. Is the serial number in the bar code?[/quote]

You, sir, are a douche. You realize you're shaq-fued, and then you go and dump it off on someone else, shaq-fuing them over. Don't you feel bad for the poor bastard who ends up getting your shit? Think about it. I hope the next time you do it, you get someone else's shit console that they returned for a new one fraudulently. You are committing fraud, an illegal act, and I hope you get caught.[/quote]

Amen.

[quote name='Nirvanaguy777']whenever someone tries to sell me a warranty I do this, its a sure fire way to avoid all warranties, make sure you use this in a monotone voice as if you are either extremely tired and/or depressed.
Do you want the warrant?
No
Why not?
I dont want it
Are you sure I mean.....etc etc.
No I dont wait it
But this and .....blah blah
No, may I have my product now

Ive done this several times, usually if you like tired or depressed employees wont even bother with you, also try and not pay attention when there explaining stuff, look around, look behind you, start a conversation with the person your with, if the employee is being ignored they will get frustrated and want to get rid of you ASAP which is exactly what you want.[/quote]
Read this just in time, I'm on my way over to Best Buy today so now I'll be prepared.

[quote name='guessed'][quote name='Demontooth']I bought a $465 microwave at HH Gregg over the weekend, the guy asked me if I wanted an extended warranty for $39.99, I said no, and he said, it's ten years. Ten years for $39.99?? I bought it.[/quote]

OMG! That made my day!!! :rofl:

What the hell type of microwave is it? I bought one last weekend from Walmart that was 1.3 cubic feet and 1200 watts. It cost $80...

[quote name='Trakan'][quote name='gaelan'][quote name='guessed']

You, sir, are a douche. You realize you're shaq-fued, and then you go and dump it off on someone else, shaq-fuing them over. Don't you feel bad for the poor bastard who ends up getting your shit? Think about it. I hope the next time you do it, you get someone else's shit console that they returned for a new one fraudulently. You are committing fraud, an illegal act, and I hope you get caught.[/quote]

The only way another customer would get it is if Wal-Mart put defective merchandise back on the shelf to resale. Who's fault is it then?

[quote name='the_gloaming']The "poor man's warranty" doesn't work, at least at Wal-Mart, because they scan the serial code on the console.[/quote]

I have never done this with a console, but I have bought many consoles and my WalMart has never scanned the serial numbers.

[quote name='dwsscs'][quote name='the_gloaming']The "poor man's warranty" doesn't work, at least at Wal-Mart, because they scan the serial code on the console.[/quote]

I have never done this with a console, but I have bought many consoles and my WalMart has never scanned the serial numbers.[/quote]

are the serial numbers in the barcode? i know on the xbox the serial number is visible while in the box, but that is never scanned. customer service scans the UPC and verifies the receipt then issues refund.

[quote name='Demontooth']I bought a $465 microwave at HH Gregg over the weekend, the guy asked me if I wanted an extended warranty for $39.99, I said no, and he said, it's ten years. Ten years for $39.99?? I bought it.[/quote]

It must be a convection microwave or something. But yeah if I drop some real cash on a big ticket item that is mobile (ipod, Digi cam, cell phone) then I get the extended warranty. You never know when you going to drop something and it will become a paper weight.

Plus even if your really careful your friends who ask to look at your stuff could always be butter fingers and drop it. It makes me much more generous.

My friend tried the "poor man's warranty" at Wal-Mart about two years ago with a PS2. Man, this guy must have gone through 6 PS2's (dropping them, selling them, etc.).

Anyway, we tried it at Wal-Mart, and when we did they brought out the Electronics Dept. manager and they check the serial number, the receipt and so forth to make sure the console in the box is the one they sold you originally. That's why the box the console comes in has the open hole in it, which shows the serial number. Needless to say, the scam didn't work.

Maybe it's worked for you guys, but I've never seen it successfully completed and would advise people not to try it because A) it's immoral and B) it's illegal.

[quote name='gaelan'][quote name='dwsscs'][quote name='the_gloaming']The "poor man's warranty" doesn't work, at least at Wal-Mart, because they scan the serial code on the console.[/quote]

I have never done this with a console, but I have bought many consoles and my WalMart has never scanned the serial numbers.[/quote]

are the serial numbers in the barcode? i know on the xbox the serial number is visible while in the box, but that is never scanned. customer service scans the UPC and verifies the receipt then issues refund.[/quote]

I guess this goes with YMMV , and yes the serial numbers are seen through a hole in the box. I bought 2 DS a few weeks ago and they didn't scan the serial numbers. I did notice the serial number thing come up on the price thing I watch, but they just scanned the next one and hit the total button.

[quote name='dwsscs'][quote name='Trakan'][quote name='gaelan'][quote name='guessed']

The only way another customer would get it is if Wal-Mart put defective merchandise back on the shelf to resale. Who's fault is it then?[/quote]

When someone returns the console, the reason isn't always because it's defective.

[quote name='zionoverfire'][quote name='abrannan']One time, a Best Buy employee tried to sell me the ESP on a $5 third party PS2 controller.

Me: No, thanks.
Her: Why not?
Me: A) it's a $5 dollar item, and B) I'm going to void the warranty as soon as I get it home.
Her: How are you going to do that?
Me: I'm going to take it apart, I only want the circuit board.
Her: Why?
Me: I'm building an arcade cabinet and I use the board to interface my controls.
Her: *Looks somewhere between dumbfounded and certain I'm a terrorist who's really going to use it to build a bomb.*
Me: *Takes recepit from the hand and walks out of the store*[/quote]

:lol:

That's great, so how'd the construction turn out?[/quote]

Not to nitpick, but its a PRP (product replacement plan) for most peripherals and a PSP (product service plan, no relation to the Playstation Portable) for higher end items. Its not a bad deal, say for Playstation systems. You know they are going to break. Night as well lock in their value. Case in point bought xbox at lanuch + PRP, broke just recently, got a new holiday edition xbox and a new PRP + ~50 store credit. Although I am not advocating a replacement/service plan for everything, just use your head, are you going to break it? Buy it for Playstation systems and cd players. Worst case scenario, you can play shotput with the system and get a new one a day before the 2 year period expires.

IMO I think the EB extended warranty blows balls worse than the BB warranty. It involves so much red tape. You got to register your product with a 3rd company. If your thingie breaks, you got to go through all this bullcrap just to get a voucher to get a replacement through EB

[quote name='screwkick']
The whole extended warranty thing is bullshit, and people forget to realize that most products come with a standard 1 year warranty anyway.[/quote]

Now normally I would agree, but there are times when it might be a good idea to get an EW, like on sony products. Over the last 4 years I've had 2 1/2 defective PS2s (My current one works, but the trey sometimes refuses to open), 4(!!) defective CD players and my 24 incg TV just crapped out on me. Needless to day, if you must buy something manufactured by Sony, then by all means get a EW.

The extended warrenties are a little ridiculous. I've never needed one, ever.

What I really hate now are the warrenties on games that EB offers. When I picked up Halo 2 they kept talking about how it was such a good deal. He managed to sell it to this lady by saying, "For a game like Halo, your son will be taking it everywhere, like over to friends houses to play it them. It could get wrecked with all that moving. For only $5 if anything happens we'll replace it."

Meanwhile I'm standing there dumbfounded by her stupidiy, and figuring out how to get out without getting in an arguement about it. I've only have one game that became too scratched to play. That was Final Fantasy Tactics, which I got used, and left out of the case for months. I used one of the cd docters that a friend had and it fixed it. That's the only game out of hundreds between my brother and I that's broken. I assume that's pretty much true for most people. Who can honestly say they've ever used one the warrenties on games? And if they did I'd be willing to bet that the combined price of the warrenties added up to more than just rebuying that one game. People are so guillible.

When someone returns the console, the reason isn't always because it's defective.[/quote]

Yeah but the store should not sell the item as new regardless, correct?

[quote name='dwsscs']When someone returns the console, the reason isn't always because it's defective.[/quote]

Yeah but the store should not sell the item as new regardless, correct?[/quote]

If it's open, they cannot, but some stores still do even though it's used. It is supposed to be marked an open item.

then don't work somewhere that requires you to be a manipulative liar....

i don't work at a business that goes against my ethics..if you are willing to sacrafice that then you deserve any pissed off customers you get (in reference to obnoxious methods of trying to sell the warranties)

[quote name='Weedy649'][quote name='organicow']i am personally really f'n sick of that 'extended warranty' sales pitch, especially from BB. last month i bought the MK:DD GC bundle at BB; I didn't even speak to an employee when i picked it up off the shelf. As i'm headed towards the registers, this tool stops me and says, "I know you aren't going to buy that GC without the 'performance service plan,' now are you?!?" I politely said "no" and kept on walking. He was then hollering after me, "I sure would hate for that thing to break and then you'd be wishing you could bring it back." AAARRRGGHHHH!!! I turned around and said, "Look man, I'm not gonna spend an extra $20-30 on a $99 console just on the odd chance that it will break. I'm an adult, and I don't have to worry about this thing getting abused, so any defects i might get will be covered by the manufacturer's warranty." To whcih he replied, "You'll be sorry!"

What's up with that?!? I mean, did he honestly think he was going to convince me with THAT attitude? I know he's just some 17 yr old retail monkey doing his job, but I just wish that BB would not allow their employees to harass people to that point. it's damn irritating.[/quote]

Listen no offense to you(hate your avatar but love those Gba covers) but im tired of all these people getting on retail workers. I worked at Best Buy and honestly you dont want to try and trick someone into buying the prp(its replacement not service for video game hardware) but its our job we have to do it or we get fired. Do you know how much i hated being yelled at by my manager because it always seems the store is doing great but my department is in the red all the time on prp? Also if you took the time to just think about it, its not that bad of a deal. It would be 10 bucks to cover your gamecube for 2 years and to many people thats a good thing to others they see it as a bad thing. I myself dont think 10 bucks is bad because its like 5 bucks a year to cover a 100 buck investment.
Would i get a prp on a gamecube? No. On a ps2? Hell yeah. I had customers come back and complain about their ps2s not working(DRE) when coming in to buy a new ps2 and they wish that i had helpped them in the first place instead of buying it wherever they had like a year or 2 ago.
I understand we are all cheapasses but stop calling us 17 year old monkeys when we deal with hundreds of customers and you only deal with us. You might not have a problem with your systems but plenty do and then they are the ones who really are sorry and come in and start bitching about their item when they have to spend either 80 bucks to send it to sony or buy a new one. If you ever work at best buy then you will know(at least i did) that some times you present things well and keep the person happy and other times you wish didnt say something the way you did, it all depends on time and mood, things like that. That 17 year old monkey might have seemed wrong not to help you while getting the darn thing but if he hadnt at least mentioned it to you before it got to the front lanes and people found out, he would be getting bitched at.
Once again no offense just please people stop hating[/quote]

Lately EB employees have been pushing warranties way too hard. I went in and bought a used Genesis for a friend for $5.99 and I was told I could get a 6 month warranty for $6. ](*,) I really get tired of it there and at BB, though I don't even care to shop there anymore. If people would just take care of their investments then video game insurance isn't needed, just like most other forms of insurance to be honest. Retail stores need to rethink their stupid policies!

:bs: :bs:

Seriously!
Unless you can cook a Buick in it in under 2 minutes, you got served.

[quote name='abrannan']Case in point bought xbox at lanuch + PRP, broke just recently, got a new holiday edition xbox and a new PRP + ~50 store credit. Although I am not advocating a replacement/service plan for everything, just use your head, are you going to break it? Buy it for Playstation systems and cd players. Worst case scenario, you can play shotput with the system and get a new one a day before the 2 year period expires.
[/quote]

Same as my story. I bought another replacement plan for $20 on the second console. I figure that just before the plan runs out, I'll repeat the return process and apply the $150 towards the next xbox. Kinda like a trade in/upgrade plan.

[quote name='onikage']Lately EB employees have been pushing warranties way too hard. I went in and bought a used Genesis for a friend for $5.99 and I was told I could get a 6 month warranty for $6. ](*,) I really get tired of it there and at BB, though I don't even care to shop there anymore. If people would just take care of their investments then video game insurance isn't needed, just like most other forms of insurance to be honest. Retail stores need to rethink their stupid policies!

:bs: :bs:[/quote]

Ok so when i bought my first PS2 for $300 and took great care of it and had to spend 200 more a few years later it was my fault? fuck no! Some items just suck and break, a prp is not a totally bad thing and thats why i didnt see it against my ethics schu. If i get ANY console next generation(this includes the friggin PSP) ill be getting it at Best Buy with a PRP because new models are bound to come out fixing the buggy launch ones and i dont want to be screwed out of 100s of $$ on problems that i have no control over.

[quote name='the_gloaming']Anyway, we tried it at Wal-Mart, and when we did they brought out the Electronics Dept. manager and they check the serial number, the receipt and so forth to make sure the console in the box is the one they sold you originally. That's why the box the console comes in has the open hole in it, which shows the serial number. Needless to say, the scam didn't work.[/quote]

Just switch the serial numbers. They are on stickers that are easily peeled off.

[quote name='irc_email'][quote name='the_gloaming']Anyway, we tried it at Wal-Mart, and when we did they brought out the Electronics Dept. manager and they check the serial number, the receipt and so forth to make sure the console in the box is the one they sold you originally. That's why the box the console comes in has the open hole in it, which shows the serial number. Needless to say, the scam didn't work.[/quote]

Just switch the serial numbers. They are on stickers that are easily peeled off.[/quote]

Ok, this is moving from the realm of theoretical fraud to aiding the process now...

[quote name='jmcc'][quote name='irc_email'][quote name='the_gloaming']Anyway, we tried it at Wal-Mart, and when we did they brought out the Electronics Dept. manager and they check the serial number, the receipt and so forth to make sure the console in the box is the one they sold you originally. That's why the box the console comes in has the open hole in it, which shows the serial number. Needless to say, the scam didn't work.[/quote]

Just switch the serial numbers. They are on stickers that are easily peeled off.[/quote]

Ok, this is moving from the realm of theoretical fraud to aiding the process now...[/quote]

sure has.

Locking this on that note

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back