Why do people hate gamestop?

[quote name='SaraAB']Other than the really cheap used games, like cheap PS2 games, I think the only reason I shop at GS is because I get erewards gift cards to there. I try to use my gift cards for a new game but its becoming harder and harder to find a new game that I actually want to buy that I know won't drop in price in a month or 2 before I get around to playing it or end up in the clearance bin in 6 months. At which time I can find it for a price much cheaper than what GS charges for the used copy of the game.[/QUOTE]
That reminds me that I have enough credit on eRewards again for another $25 GS gift card. Only problem is after the last little discussion with the local DM I think I'm beyond perma-banned.

I got the vibe that he wasn't really listening to me and he was being sarcastic, so I shot back with a couple remarks of my own and ended the convo by basically saying that typical GS customers are uneducated morons who like taking it up the ass with every transaction. Yeah. Not exactly the best way to ingratiate myself to him, but I was sick of him basically calling me a bad customer for trying to get the most for everything I traded them or to get bad situations rectified when I was gypped on a transaction.

I still think I shoulda sent this alleged VP that sent down the full ban on me a $1 eBay HDMI cable for Christmas in a card that ended with the phrase: fuck you! fuck Gamestop and Merry fuckin' Christmas! with Shaq-Fu in place of fuck in every instance.;)

The prices match the website, its just a matter of finding a GS that has what you want in stock in the condition you want. Some games are obviously too expensive to bother purchasing. A lot of people around here still play the PS2 from what it seems, so the games are still getting bought.

For shits and giggles I wrote to the BBB complaining about Gamestop and their stripped "New" game policy. I even suggested that stripped games be marked as "Like New" with the item costing $3-$5 less than a brand new. Their reply:

The customer, states that he is unhappy that GameStop sells open games as new.

Our research in regards to this situation has found:
That we will sometimes open new games for display purposes and place the physical game behind the counter.
For protection against theft GameStop does not put new, physical, sealed, games on the floor.
The customers are well aware when purchasing the item that it is not sealed. It is up to the customer’s discretion to make that purchase.
Unfortunately this is a policy that GameStop has no intention of changing.
We consider this matter closed.
It is GameStop/EB Games position that we have given the customer due diligence in regards to this situation and considers this issue closed.

[quote name='Rexall']For shits and giggles I wrote to the BBB complaining about Gamestop and their stripped "New" game policy. I even suggested that stripped games be marked as "Like New" with the item costing $3-$5 less than a brand new. Their reply:

That we will sometimes open new games for display purposes and place the physical game behind the counter.
For protection against theft GameStop does not put new, physical, sealed, games on the floor.
The customers are well aware when purchasing the item that it is not sealed. It is up to the customer’s discretion to make that purchase.
It is GameStop/EB Games position that we have given the customer due diligence in regards to this situation and considers this issue closed.[/QUOTE]
I did one better and sent a complaint in to the Federal Trade Commission on them a while ago. As expected it did shit.

Why do people hate gamestop?
i hold no grudge against gamestop but i hate funcoland. and gamestop owns funcoland.

[quote name='Rexall']For shits and giggles I wrote to the BBB complaining about Gamestop and their stripped "New" game policy. I even suggested that stripped games be marked as "Like New" with the item costing $3-$5 less than a brand new. Their reply:

It is GameStop/EB Games position that we have given the customer due diligence in regards to this situation and considers this issue closed.[/QUOTE]

OT but how do you file a complaint with the BBB? I need to open a complaint against PayPal for screwing me over in a chargeback when I followed their seller protection policy.

[quote name='GBAstar']Thank you. Out of curiousity what leverage does filing a complaint with the BBB give you versus just calling the company (PayPal) and filing a complaint?[/QUOTE]

In all likelihood, no leverage. The BBB isn't going to really do anything you can't do by contacting PayPal directly.

There was a time they were the "king" of preorder bonuses they started them, I figured if I was going to get a game, I might as well get some DLC, map pack, avatar gear, etc. for free with it

Now everyone has some sort of preorder bonus, especially Amazon

and the gutting games is the consumers fault

I walk straight to the counter, "Do you have ____ sealed?"
If Yes >>>>>>>> Ill take it
If No >>>>>>>> No not pass go do not collect $200

The pushing of the magazine card isnt so bad because I use the extra bonuses with the card to make GS my b***h

The one thing that bothers me is, when I (educated gamer), see these bastard GameStop employees pry on mothers and fathers and little kids that have no idea of the prices of the games or the actual needed accessories for the systems

honestly it all depends on the store. I cringe every time i pass my local store its one of the worst ones i have ever been in and i have friends that work there but i will do everything in my power to avoid that store, but if i go to the store three hours away where my girlfriend gos to school i try and stop in a few times, the dudes there are all really nice and actually try and help you out. and they always have alot of collectors edition stuff.

[quote name='Tony Stark']

The one thing that bothers me is, when I (educated gamer), see these bastard GameStop employees pry on mothers and fathers and little kids that have no idea of the prices of the games or the actual needed accessories for the systems[/QUOTE]

This is so true^
Just yesterday when i went to trade some of my old psp games
this one employees was trying to make this one lady to buy warranty on a new
game.

[quote name='NoelVermillion']This is so true^
Just yesterday when i went to trade some of my old psp games
this one employees was trying to make this one lady to buy warranty on a new
game.[/QUOTE]

it is so agitating

I have voiced my opinion sometimes and told fellow consumers you really dont need ____ its just extra stuff, when the employee comes up with scripted perfect corporate excuses

sometimes I help, sometimes they waste their money

all I can say is thank god for Amazon.com

and to the OP's original title question

Why do people hate gamestop? >>> I have to counter-ask, have you ever even been inside of a gamestop?

have you never first hand witnessed everyones examples at least once?

I do not hate game stop, I do dislike their prices on some used games, but I have been able to find a few rare or hard to find games from them a hell of a lot cheaper than on Ebay or Amazon, due to the fact they are a corporate business and most of the prices are set by the big wigs.

I have often left messages on forums such as craigslist making offers to people that instead of going to their local game store to trade in a game for a few bucks to instead trade it to me for more money, hey I am not going to pay out a lot of money but I will pay more than a game store would.

I hate GS because they stole my muffin and dropped a big, sloppy deuce on it. I was just minding my own business too! WTF! Asshats!

Actually, I dont mind GS right now, but it is a love-hate relationship in the long run for me... Recently I have sold them like 3 xbox 360s for $75/ea that I paid $30/ea for...so I got a brand new slim for under $100. Thanks GS!

Hmm let me see. I go to GS a couple of days ago and saw a PS Vita case I was interested in. I take it to the counter and ask if I can open it and the clerk says no, not without paying for it, WTF? :roll:

So I ask if he could open it so I can see if I like it. He says NOPE I got's to pay for it. So I pay, then open it and see it's not like the old PSP Logitech Playgear where you can play with the unit while in the case.

So I had to get in line and wait for a refund. Shit like that and the infamous selling employee played games for new has soured me on those bastards. The last time I bought something at GS was for Madden 10. I used to spend 2-3K a year now I do all of my business with Amazon.

[quote name='Rodster']Hmm let me see. I go to GS a couple of days ago and saw a PS Vita case I was interested in. I take it to the counter and ask if I can open it and the clerk says no, not without paying for it, WTF? :roll:

So I ask if he could open it so I can see if I like it. He says NOPE I got's to pay for it. So I pay, then open it and see it's not like the old PSP Logitech Playgear where you can play with the unit while in the case.

So I had to get in line and wait for a refund. Shit like that and the infamous selling employee played games for new has soured me on those bastards. The last time I bought something at GS was for Madden 10. I used to spend 2-3K a year now I do all of my business with Amazon.[/QUOTE]

why are you spending 2-3K a year on games?

there is a world out there you know

[quote name='Tony Stark']why are you spending 2-3K a year on games?

there is a world out there you know[/QUOTE]
That included hardware as well and I now average $300 a year if that. And thanks Bill O'Reilly for looking out for us folks.

Trust me I get out every day. :)

[quote name='S0DA POPINSKI']You know who I miss? Gamecrazy. I loved that store.[/QUOTE]
ooo ooooh ooooooh! My brother worked there. I always felt like i was ripping them off since I got like $15-20 whenever I traded in a REALLY old game and like they had neat ways of working their system. You could by a used game and have 30 days to beat it, then change it in for a new one for free :).

[quote name='S0DA POPINSKI']You know who I miss? Gamecrazy. I loved that store.[/QUOTE]
Considering the closest one to me was 30-35 miles away ONE WAY I don't miss them that much. But I DO miss Hollywood Video a bunch. Going in on day one of their $5 used game sales and walking out with stacks of stuff for $100 was great. Of course, even better was turning a chunk of those into $400-500 at Gamestop after beating the games.;)

bread's done
Back