Why is it that so many people have huge "backlogs"?

[quote name='moothemagiccow']I am really wondering where the hell you guys are seeing recent console games for ten dollars.
Not on this site, not regularly. Maybe $20 occasionally. The only things I see for $10 are used games on half.com, and they're generally 18 months old by then.

And you'll get maybe about $7 for it after fees if you're smart and don't sell it to the biggest used games retailer in the country.
If you don't like it, why are you holding onto it?[/QUOTE]

During blockbuster sale I got Mass Effect 2, Lost Planet 2, Crackdown 2, White Knight Chronicles, Nier, God of War 3, etc for $7.50 to $9.99 each.

"I am really wondering where the hell you guys are seeing recent console games for ten dollars.
Not on this site, not regularly. Maybe $20 occasionally. The only things I see for $10 are used games on half.com, and they're generally 18 months old by then."

Clearance sections and where u live. There's 2 TRU, 3 BB's, 5 targets, 3 kmarts within 30 minutes of my house. I live in PA but NJ & DE are packed with stores too.

[quote name='elessar123']
Edit: Caught up with the thread. I grew up pretty poor, and I had Sim City 2000, Doom 1/2, StarCraft/BroodWars and almost nothing else from 13-18. In college, I started pirating a lot (and borrowed a few games), because I was still poor. I never had a console growing up either. And my family had one TV. I always had the intention to buy games when I started making money. So fast forward to a few years ago, when I started having disposable income. Now I have a big library, with 1 single sports game (FIFA World Cup, from GameFly's year-end sale). So it's my way of catching up, but of course, with the disposable income comes less time. So yes, a big part of it is that I'm buying because I never had them.[/QUOTE]

This brings me back to the days when I owned about eight cartridges for the SNES, setting my own little completionist goals for Final Fantasy 3 and Chrono Trigger in the twilight before the Playstation 1 was affordable.

I think there's a tendency to want to try new releases, but when the gameplay isn't all that it's cracked up to be you'll want to return to the classics. To have a backlog is to be like a wandering lover...

[quote name='Indigo_Streetlight']
I think there's a tendency to want to try new releases, but when the gameplay isn't all that it's cracked up to be you'll want to return to the classics. To have a backlog is to be like a wandering lover...[/QUOTE]

Yea... Outside of Etrian Odyssey, there hasn't been an RPG to really wow me in the last 5 years, like Secret of Mana, Lufia, Chrono Trigger, FF4/6/7/8, etc. There are a lot of improvements in other genres though, like Bayonetta, Borderlands, etc.

My Backlog is pretty deep. Most of them used to be JRPGs that I thought would skyrocket in value if you didn't get them right away, but some of them are Wii games I haven't gotten around to playing.

I have a pretty good balance of time to get through everything (I work 20 hours a week making decent $$), but I don't always feel like playing games. I do other things like pinball, and hang out with friends, and go on day trips.

[quote name='DOMINATOR912']I've seen that it also depends on the type of games you enjoy. Generally speaking, RPG fans have much larger backlogs. This being due to the fact that an RPG can take upwards of 80 hours to finish, so the owner can't move on to the next game that fast. Personally, I have around 8 games in my backlog, but this is due to splurging a bit on Black Friday.[/QUOTE]

Bringing this back up from the first page, I can definitely attest to it's validity. I play all genres(except the MMO & RTS ones) so when I finally settle in and play a New Vegas or Dragon Age or Final Fantasy my backlog suffers a bit as it can take 2-3 weeks to get through an RPG depending on my gaming habits.

bread's done
Back