Why is Suikoden so rare?

sabin23

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Just wondering why all the Suikoden games are so rare (besides IV).

Are the games not selling well enough to begin with or Konami not making enough... it seems to be pretty popular franchise (they've made 4 already).

A couple years ago, I told me friend to buy Suikoden 2 off some random online store I googled for him... forget which but they actually listed the remaining inventory they had left. It was around $12. I wish I picked up a copy for myself.

They sell for ridiculous prices on Ebay. I beat all the Suikodens while renting the game or borrowing them for a friend... but now I wish I had bought them all to keep one for my game library. I suck. :cry:

The original Suikoden had fugly cover art so I think a lot of people skipped on it initially. By the time word of mouth got around people are getting their copies used. Bad retail sales and the fact that the PS1 was on its last days made Konami give Suikoden II US version a very small print run.

Suikoden III didn't sell that many copies due to poor reviews. A lot of fans of the first 2 games disliked the new trinity view system.

They aren't necessarily rare, but just highly sought after...Most people keep their copies and the demand is high, thus the value of the game goes up.

What kind of ignorance do you have saying Suikoden IV isn't rare, it may have just come out, but it's starting to dry up, and will by all means be rarer than Suikoden III in the long run.

[quote name='Ugamer_X']They aren't necessarily rare, but just highly sought after...Most people keep their copies and the demand is high, thus the value of the game goes up.[/quote]

You said exactly what I was going to say...

[quote name='Lord Draconus777']What kind of ignorance do you have saying Suikoden IV isn't rare, it may have just come out, but it's starting to dry up, and will by all means be rarer than Suikoden III in the long run.[/quote]

That doesn't seem right. My Best Buy has probably 10 copies of Suikoden IV and Target about 5 copies. Suikoden III, on the other hand, seems to be a LOT harder to find. I had to pay $40 shipped for a mint copy on ebay. But maybe things will teeter-totter in the end like you say.

[quote name='Lord Draconus777']What kind of ignorance do you have saying Suikoden IV isn't rare, it may have just come out, but it's starting to dry up, and will by all means be rarer than Suikoden III in the long run.[/quote]

If by rare you mean available online to order, as well as from B&M stores such as eb, gamestop, circuit city, target, walmart, and media play, then by all means this game is "rare". :roll:

I sold Suikoden II ($85) & pickup III for $25. I may pickup part 4 later this month and hope Konami re-release 1 & 2 on 1 DVD ;)

[quote name='cheapass Gundam']The original Suikoden had fugly cover art so I think a lot of people skipped on it initially.[/quote]

But you can always do what I did when it came out. If you remove the mail-in registration card from the manual, it makes it just thin enough to fit in a standard jewel case. Fugly art from the oversized case was promptly tossed out. Suikoden 1 then looks a whole lot better and only takes up half the shelf space. :)

[quote name='cheapass Gundam']

Suikoden III didn't sell that many copies due to poor reviews. A lot of fans of the first 2 games disliked the new trinity view system.[/quote]

I agree with what you first said, but people didn't like Suikoden III because of the trinity sight system and poor reviews? By poor reviews do u mean fan reviews or editorials? Because websites gave Suikoden III insanely high reviews for a series they bashed back on the PS1. The Trinity Sight system was also Suikoden III's BEST feature. It gave us three different ways to interpret the story from each characters viewpoint. I think most people were turned off by the fact it was in full 3d, and the battle system was horrid. Thankfully with Suikoden IV they made an attempt to bring back the battle system of old, although it fell short of my expectations it was MUCH better then Suikoden III's.

And as one user stated, the reason why the previous Suikodens are so rare is the inability of people to part with them. Suikoden II I consider the best RPG of all time, even better than FF6, and theres no way I would part with my copy.

I liked the trinity system.... It made you use more characters through out the story. The only thing I really didn't like about S3 was the 3 teams of two.

I believe that the save import feature makes Suikoden 1 and 2 that much more desirable. The feature itself seems kind of pointless and I don't even know if I will use it once I get around to actually playing the game. ;)

The ebay price of Suikoden 3 went up after 4 was announced, before we knew that 4 wouldn't have the save import feature. I haven't checked on the price of 3 lately, but if it is still $40, then it is still high. I bought my copy of 3 for $22 CDN a couple months after release.

Suikoden 3 aint rare. Every local Gamestop in my area have them for $25 complete. I'm waiting for the next buy 2 get 1 free pre-played. Maybe I picked this one up.

I can find Suikoden I,III and IV practically everywhere... I want Konami to release Suikoden Collection one day though, or maybe release them seperately on GBA? That would be pretty cool, and they would probably make some dough off the hardcore gamers.

bread's done
Back