Why would you buy a supposedly rare/hard to find game?

hiccupleftovers

CAGiversary!
Would you buy it because it was rare and just want to own it for your collection or because want to sell it and make some money off of it, or are you they type of person that buys a rare/hard to find game so that you can actually play it once and then get rid of it?

I find that I am mix of the last example with the first. I buy rare games because I want them in my collection, but I mostly buy them so that I can actually experience them and play them through just like I have done with my Valkyrie Profile.

I will typically only buy them if they interest me and I want to play them. I also will only pay up to what my interest in the game is. For example, I was mildly interested in the Firfighter game that is apparently rare, but I on;y bought it because it was $9.99 at Game Crazy. If I had to pay $50 or whatever for it, I would not have even considered it. Another example is SMT: Nocturne. I thought that might be hard to find down the line so even though I have no time to play it yet, I bought at release just to make sure I was able to get it w/o paying a ridculous price.

EDIT: I won't lie...having them in the collection is nice though. :)

I really, really wanted Gitaroo Man and Rez....but no way was I gonna pay 100-150 for them each!!

So, I just modded my PS2. Easy as pie. mmmmmmm.....pie.

As for Gamecube, when they released the broadband adapter and talked about Mario DD being online I bought it....when Mario DD wasn't online. I modded my gamecube as well.

But the Xbox, the Xbox I kept completely clean of mods cause I never got screwed over...

I want to play the games, but some of these companies hate money or something....

(Also, I still buy plenty of games)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As far as Emulators on the PC.....when I found a Sega 32X emulator, (after I got one for Xmas when I was 12 and got royally screwed for games) - I got so giddy I touched my self so hard while playing it I thought I was a Nintendo DS.

[quote name='Mookyjooky']I really, really wanted Gitaroo Man and Rez....but no way was I gonna pay 100-150 for them each!!

So, I just modded my PS2. Easy as pie. mmmmmmm.....pie.

As for Gamecube, when they released the broadband adapter and talked about Mario DD being online I bought it....when Mario DD wasn't online. I modded my gamecube as well.

But the Xbox, the Xbox I kept completely clean of mods cause I never got screwed over...

I want to play the games, but some of these companies hate money or something....

(Also, I still buy plenty of games)

Yeah - people on CAG are gonna love you...

I will only buy a rare game if it is one I want to play. Since I mostly play RPGs and generally buy them as soon as they come out this is rarely a problem. The only rare game I never got that I want is Rhapsody. Waited too long on that one and never saw it again.

Both. I have allot of rare PS1 RPG's in my collection that I don't plan on playing anytime soon (if at all). Titles like Suikoden II, Valkerie Profile and Rhapsody for example. I know I should trade them off for stuff I'll play but I buy them mainly because I like collecting PS1 rarities. I also keep them because I keep telling myself I'll play thru them someday when I find the time.

If I see something in the wild that's pretty rare and I already have it in my collection, I'll buy it to trade off or sell on Ebay. Honestly, would anyone here pass up a Rez or Gitaroo they found in the wild for $10?

It depends what rare/valuable game it was. If it was the Firefighter FD game and I saw it cheap enough to profit off of, then I would buy it. However, if I saw a reasonable price for something like Suikoden II, I would definitely play through it and probably would hold on to it.

It depends. If I'm paying close to full price for it, then it means I want to play it (one day, I really want to get Panzer Dragoon Saga and play through it, but I know I'll be pissed if I drop $100+ on it, then they announce a remake of it).

I would like a couple of rare game s for my collection though. It might be nice just to have, and to jump in on those discussions about what is the rarest item you have.

If I am looking for a particular rare game, it is mainly for the collection, although certain games (like Earthbound) are ones that I really want to find and actually play.

If it's on XBox, COLLECTION'D. I proudly own extremely mint and complete copies of Marvel vs. Capcom 2 and MotoGP2. There's not many other rare XBox games out there.

I buy games to play, period. I may not have time to play them, but that's my intention. (quite frankly I see myself as a hunched-over ol' lady, whining about the good old days and trying to get that Playstation 2 running so I can finally finish Arc the Lad, or something.)

In the highly unlikely event that I come across a game that's rare, cheap (no more than $15 or so), and know someone other than myself who wants it, sure, I'll buy to resell. But I'll resell cheap. Either twice what I paid or half ebay value, probably. And if I get an especially good deal, I may just give it away, becasue I really do enjoy making people happy that way. (I did do this once, I had a friend who wanted a Sega CD Memory cart, I found for myself complete, and came across one loose a week later. I sold it to her for $15, as that was about half the Ebay rpice o' the time. I only paid a dollar for it. :bouncy: )

Now everyone pray I find lots of cheap, rare games for them :D

[quote name='screwkick']Just to have in the collection. I paid good money for Resident Evil 2 and 3 for the Gamecube and never palyed them.[/QUOTE]

And how do you feel now that they're extremely common? Capcom reissued them, now they're everywhere..

I buy games with the intention of playing them. Unless I am dying to play the game, I would not buy rare games that are $100+. In fact, I would not pay over retail for games.

I'd buy it because I wouldn't be able to usually find it and most games like that are rare for a reason, an experience that not many other gamers have had.

bread's done
Back