Wii component cables $1.96 Monoprice.com

Not that I mind, but this is actually a repost. I bought these for the same price back in early July.

This took at least 2 weeks and a half to show up, I was getting worried.

I have a 1080p 40" LCD and honestly I'm not sure this cable actually enhances the image quality. I think I preferred the S-Video cable but I haven't switched back yet. Everything is much sharper, but the jaggies will cut your eyes wide open.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='jeffx']Not that I care, but this is actually a repost. I bought these for the same price back in early July.[/QUOTE]
If you don't care, why post it at all then?

[quote name='jeffx']
This took at least 2 weeks and a half to show up, I was getting worried.

I have a 1080p 40" LCD and honestly I'm not sure this cable actually enhances the image quality. I think I preferred the S-Video cable but I haven't switched back yet. Everything is much sharper, but the jaggies will cut your eyes wide open.[/QUOTE]
Interesting. I guess it does sharpen up things but that's what I like about it. No more feeling like you are looking through the bottom of a beer mug at everything.

Great price considering I paid over $60 to Nintendo to have "official" cables mailed to me for Wii release day. One thing I have learned this gen is to wait and watch these forums before buying anything.

Great info for those who don't have these yet.

It's not a repost it's a deal of the day(s) from Monoprice.com Every few days they pick an item to go on sale. Then the price goes back up a day or a few days later. I do a new post every time the HDMI cables come up and TOS link.

[quote name='jeffx']Not that I mind, but this is actually a repost. I bought these for the same price back in early July.

I have a 1080p 40" LCD and honestly I'm not sure this cable actually enhances the image quality. I think I preferred the S-Video cable but I haven't switched back yet. Everything is much sharper, but the jaggies will cut your eyes wide open.[/QUOTE]

Wii's on LCD's do not look great CRT's and Plasmas work best for SD.

I find rear projection works great from Wii and SD games as well, even if they do support HD resolutions. I'm actually thinking about getting a rear projection for my basement for this purpose.

[quote name='Princess Zelda']It's not a repost it's a deal of the day(s) from Monoprice.com Every few days they pick an item to go on sale. Then the price goes back up a day or a few days later. I do a new post every time the HDMI cables come up and TOS link.

Wii's on LCD's do not look great CRT's and Plasmas work best for SD.[/QUOTE]

Cool thanks for setting me straight.

Should have known about the LCD thing, wouldn't have wasted my money. Oh well, frees up the S-Video for my old XBOX.

[quote name='jeffx']Cool thanks for setting me straight.

Should have known about the LCD thing, wouldn't have wasted my money. Oh well, frees up the S-Video for my old XBOX.[/QUOTE]
The old Xbox can do component as well. You can find them on eBay for under $10 shipped as well. That is how I have mine hooked up anyway, used primarily for XBMC (modded console). XBMC can up-convert xvid to 720p (the native resolution of my secondary TV) and it actually looks pretty decent.

This thread is so full of awesome for me. I may return the LCD I just bought because I watch so much SD, & I also need Wii & orig. Xbox component cables... thanks 4 the info!

I think if you do a lot of Wii/Xbox/PS2 gaming, nothing can beat a 480p projector :D. Once I get my own place, and thus my own gaming room, totalllly getting a projector for that retro gaming itch!!

[quote name='thegamecubist']I find rear projection works great from Wii and SD games as well, even if they do support HD resolutions. I'm actually thinking about getting a rear projection for my basement for this purpose.[/QUOTE]

RP is the best picture quality IMO. I have big clunker with wheels that does 1080i and a newer one with the replaceable lamp. But I thought new RPs were pretty much extinct?

[quote name='game_fanatic']I think if you do a lot of Wii/Xbox/PS2 gaming, nothing can beat a 480p projector :D. Once I get my own place, and thus my own gaming room, totalllly getting a projector for that retro gaming itch!![/QUOTE]
Or a DLP 1080p projector that handles SD well. I have BenQ W1000 and a 92" screen and I absolutely love it with both SD and HD content.

[quote name='Clark.Griswold']Or a DLP 1080p projector that handles SD well. I have BenQ W1000 and a 92" screen and I absolutely love it with both SD and HD content.[/QUOTE]

That works, too!

[quote name='game_fanatic']I think if you do a lot of Wii/Xbox/PS2 gaming, nothing can beat a 480p projector :D. Once I get my own place, and thus my own gaming room, totalllly getting a projector for that retro gaming itch!![/QUOTE]

Right. Guess I'll be looking at that in the future! Right now happy with my LCD given my apartment size.

[quote name='Cthulhu8u']RP is the best picture quality IMO. I have big clunker with wheels that does 1080i and a newer one with the replaceable lamp. But I thought new RPs were pretty much extinct?[/QUOTE]

I'm more thinking about used. You can find good deals on Kijiji on these RP TVs. If only I had a van to use at my leisure! (my mom has one though...)

The ultimate for me would be to find one of those HD CRTs, though. I wouldn't mind a sore back for a few days for one of those :D

Nothing beats a a CRT projector. I've got a Runco/Barco in my basement with a 7 foot screen. Running 1080P and looks breathtaking. Black is truly black on these projectors. Setting them up though "You need to be a rocket scientist". Quote from my husband. Pics in my profile under set ups.
A guy in Canada that refurbishes and sells them. http://www.curtpalme.com/Products.shtm

For my retro set up I'll be buying one of the Sony or Panasonic CRT HD widescreen TV. They are surprisingly cheap used but yes you need a few good men to help transport them.

[quote name='game_fanatic']I think if you do a lot of Wii/Xbox/PS2 gaming, nothing can beat a 480p projector :D. Once I get my own place, and thus my own gaming room, totalllly getting a projector for that retro gaming itch!![/QUOTE]I'm a little depressed that you just implied Wii/Xbox/PS2 is retro gaming. Then again the Wii has VC, the PS2 has all kinda of collections like Genesis and Midway, and a modded xbox is great for 16-bit emulation. If that's what you meant then I salute rather than disparage you.

[quote name='Princess Zelda']Nothing beats a a CRT projector. I've got a Runco/Barco in my basement with a 7 foot screen. Running 1080P and looks breathtaking. Black is truly black on these projectors. Setting them up though "You need to be a rocket scientist". Quote from my husband. Pics in my profile under set ups.
A guy in Canada that refurbishes and sells them. http://www.curtpalme.com/Products.shtm

For my retro set up I'll be buying one of the Sony or Panasonic CRT HD widescreen TV. They are surprisingly cheap used but yes you need a few good men to help transport them.[/QUOTE]

Very nice setup. I'd love to do something similar in our basement, this could be a good reference. I really like the sound dampeners, where do you even buy those? One suggestion, I think you need some comfier chairs :)

AND HEAR U GO HAR HAR!!1!!
A%20Few%20Good%20Men.jpg

> A Few Good Men
> Demi Moore

wut

Gotta say though PZ, your setup is probably the closest I've ever seen to a real theatre at home. Sound damping and everything!

I guess the thing with a setup like this is that you need it to be pitch dark to get the best picture. My basement has windows :(

I've updated the photo's with comfier chairs. The sound dampener's are custom made by my husband. He found a how to on the AVS forum, they were not hard to make. They turned out a lot better then I though they were going to. He also made the screen out of a specific counter top material. Carpet is coming soon.

There are windows in the room. They were blacked out by a cheap window blind the covered up by the sound dampener. This project took many hours of research and model building in google sketchUp. We've been wanting to do a theatre build when we bought the house 10 years ago. AVS theatre forum thread gave a lot of idea's as to what could be done.

AVS forums are awesome and helped me with my choices as well. My basement was already finished though (bi-level) so I didn't do any of the sound dampening or anything. It's basically just a living room setup with surround sound (in ceiling speakers for the rear channels), leather couches and a huge screen. I love playing my PS3 and 360 on it. So amazing. Uncharted 2 was like playing a movie.

I've heard CRT projection is awesome but I didn't have the money, patience or room to install such a big unit. DLP projection is a good option for those that can't do CRT. When my 720p DLP unit went I tried a 1080p LCD projector and couldn't stand the jaggies or lack of movie like feel in the color. I returned it in less than a week. DLP is just so much more rich.

The W1000 is a light cannon so even though I have some ambient light (stair well, windows that let in a little bit of light through curtains) it still looks great. I have the appropriate day / night settings though and use them appropriately.

[quote name='Wolfkin']I'm a little depressed that you just implied Wii/Xbox/PS2 is retro gaming. Then again the Wii has VC, the PS2 has all kinda of collections like Genesis and Midway, and a modded xbox is great for 16-bit emulation. If that's what you meant then I salute rather than disparage you.[/QUOTE]

Haha well for me retro=anything 480p/i, so PS2, Xbox, GameCube, and everything older, of course. I have my PS2 Slim, Xbox, GameCube and Nintendo64 connected to an old Panasonic Gaoo TV, 27", not too shabby, but getting a massive RP TV would be sweeet! I'm sure a company could have a niche market for retro-geared LCD/plasma sets!

bread's done
Back