Wii & DS outsell PS3 and PSP 5 to 1 in Japan

Puffa469

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
The latest figures from the Land of the Rising Sun show Nintendo steaming ahead of Sony in console units shifted.

By Emma Boyes, GameSpot UK Posted Jun 4, 2007 9:20 am PT

April's figures showed the Wii was outselling the PlayStation 3 4-to-1 in Japan, and last month the gap widened even further, with the cheaper Nintendo console now 5-to-1 ahead, reports Bloomberg.

Bloomberg, quoting figures from Famitsu publisher Enterbrain Inc, revealed that 251,794 Wiis had been sold in Japan in May, five times as many units as the PS3. Microsoft's Xbox 360 lagged even further behind, with 11,082 units changing hands last month. Exact figures were not given for PS3 sales, but they are likely to be in the region of 50,000.

The story was much the same in the battle of the handhelds, with the Nintendo DS having sold 620,670 to the PlayStation Portable's 123,673 during May.

If there is any news to be had here...maybe just maybe we'll start getting less 3rd party ports and some real made from the ground up games coming to the Wii. That would make us all happy. :)

I knew the Nintendo systems were selling gangbusters in Japan, but I was actually surprised to hear how poorly the PS3 is doing there.

I figured in Japan its really the only choice for HD, 'next gen' gaming. But Japan doesnt really seem to be embracing it. I guess they are waiting for some good games. The Japanese arent too big on FPS's.

Amazing how the DS, which wasnt meant to be more than something to tide over the masses until a new gameboy came out, is on track to become the highest selling gaming system in Japan's history...

Wow.. and the PS3's numbers are pitiful, since the system sells for less there too

360... well that is to be expected, I dont think Japan will ever embrace an American gaming console

Pretty amazing. Nintendo bet the farm on the DS and Wii more or less, and it's paying them back in spades.

I hope this means quality new games for the Wii and a continued flow of top-notch DS titles.

[quote name='daroga']Pretty amazing. Nintendo bet the farm on the DS and Wii more or less, and it's paying them back in spades.

I hope this means quality new games for the Wii and a continued flow of top-notch DS titles.[/quote]

I think we have nothing to worry about with the DS, theres already a ton of great games and many more on the horizon. And I think the Wii caught alot of people by surprise, so right now we have to sit thru the deluge of minigame comps and hasty ports until the real games are ready.

Im almost ashamed to admit that halfway thru the Cubes life I thought it might be a good idea for Nintendo to go the Sega Route and stop developing consoles, and become a third party game developer for other systems. :oops:

[quote name='daroga']
I hope this means quality new games for the Wii and a continued flow of top-notch DS titles.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, and will add that I hope they are not mini-game based. Once the PS3 gets some titles out there it will start to sell like hotcakes though.

[quote name='rodeojones903']Agreed, and will add that I hope they are not mini-game based. Once the PS3 gets some titles out there it will start to sell like hotcakes though.[/quote]

PS3 has a lot of good things going for it, and to be honest, I'm not excited to see PS3 doing poorly. I'm excited to see the Wii doing well, though.

Don't fear, we'll see proper Wii games sooner than PS3 guys will see some of theirs (lower development costs and comparatively "easier" development process). If some of you feel like pointing out that PS3 is guaranteed to have "better games" because of how expensive it is to develop for, here you go, I just made that point for you, to save you from wasting your time and steering the discussion all about "what makes games great."

[quote name='rodeojones903']Agreed, and will add that I hope they are not mini-game based. Once the PS3 gets some titles out there it will start to sell like hotcakes though.[/QUOTE]

...and a price drop

[quote name='Puffa469']Well its already cheaper in Japan than it is here.[/quote]

Well our watermelons are much cheaper here so...

[quote name='rodeojones903'] Once the PS3 gets some titles out there and a $200 price drop it will start to sell like hotcakes though.[/QUOTE]

Fixed

At the current rate, PS3 is on track to sell much less in June. It is doing sub 10k numbers each week. But, Ninja Gaiden Sigma and Folksoul release this month, so I think PS3 will see one week boosts the week of the release of those games.

Kotaku and a few other places are also running Japanese software sales...

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/observe/simple-2000-the-japanese-software-chart-266523.php

This is the full chart:
01. DS Observation Training (DS) - 94,834 / NEW
02. Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition (Wii) - 43,771 / NEW
03. Moero! Nekketsu Rhythm Damashii: Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan 2 (DS) - 33,738 / 113,910
04. Guilty Gear XX Accent Core (PS2) - 31,773 / NEW
05. Wii Sports (Wii) - 28,612 / 1,657,818
06. More Brain Age (DS) - 20,662 / 4,327,943
07. New Super Mario Bros. (DS) - 19,907 / 4,500,164
08. Wii Play (Wii) - 19,718 / 1,356,002
09. More English Training (DS) - 18,885 / 256,091
10. Momotarou Dentetsu DS: Tokyo & Japan (DS) - 16,395 / 186,924

11. Final Fantasy Tactics: The Lion War (PSP)
12. Kurikin: Nano Island Story (DS)
13. Mario Kart DS (DS)
14. Super Paper Mario (Wii)
15. Yoshi's Island DS (DS)
16. English Training (DS)
17. Brain Age (DS)
18. Animal Crossing: Wild World (DS)
19. Simple DS Series Vol. 15: THE Kanshikikan 2 - Aratanaru 8-tsu no Jiken wo Touch seyo (DS)
20. Zaidan Houjin Nippon Kanji Nouryoku Kentei Kounin: KanKen DS (DS)

21. Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree (Wii)
22. Professor Layton & the Mysterious Village (DS)
23. Final Fantasy XII Revenant Wings (DS)
24. Bleach Heat the Soul 4 (PSP)
25. Gyakuten Saiban 4 (DS)
26. Kono Aozora ni Yakusoku o: Melody of the Sun and Sea (PS2)
27. Common Sense Training (DS)
28. Kekkaishi: Karasumori Ayakashi Kidan (DS)
29. Shining Wind (PS2)
30. Daito Giken Koushiki Pachi-Slot Simulator: Hihouden - Ossu! Banchou - Yoshimune DS (DS)

I think the chart pretty much speaks for itself, but hot damn! I expected the big N to "dominate," not "monopolize."

Wow that....

That is really impressive. Lets just hope if this holds out Nintendo has learned from their last mistakes and doesnt get cocky.

[quote name='dallow']DS moreso than the Wii just dominates the game charts.
Damn.[/QUOTE]Well, the flood of awesome Wii games hasn't happened yet. It'll take some time, just like it did with the DS.

[quote name='panasonic']woopy de woooooo.WOOP WOOP OMFG OMFG WE HAVEN'T REALIZED HOW WELL THE DS AND WII ARE SELLING. ZOMG!!!!@!@!@[/QUOTE]

Aw, somebody's got a case of the Sony's.

On topic: Good for them. They Deserve all this success for taking a big risk by going a different way. It could have totally blown up in their face, but they've put out tons of quality software in japan and really succeeded with a new market.

The PSP really is an amazing little machine, and I've been enjoying mine a lot this week, but it's just too expensive.. $100 for mine felt just right. Unfortunately 99% of people aren't getting them at that price, or doing the kind of awesome things that custom firmware offers..

[quote name='panasonic']woopy de woooooo.WOOP WOOP OMFG OMFG WE HAVEN'T REALIZED HOW WELL THE DS AND WII ARE SELLING. ZOMG!!!!@!@!@[/QUOTE]

It's wooptie-doo. If you're gunna be an ass, do it proper.

Someone sure took the news pretty hard ;)

[quote name='trq']Frankly, I'm just trying to figure out if those are good numbers for Accent Core or not.[/QUOTE]

They're not the greatest, but pretty good for a PS2 game with almost non-existant dev costs.

[quote name='"May 28th to June 3rd"']DSL 123,140
Wii 69,748
PSP 26,358
PS2 11,814
PS3 8,998
Xbox360 2,219
GBM 310
GBASP 247
GC 226
DS 71
GBA 16[/quote]
The week-to-week sales charts are becoming pretty consistent.

[quote name='Zen Davis']The winner of this generation is the Wii.[/QUOTE]

Says random douche on the internet while still in the first year of a console's life.

[quote name='Greetard']Says random douche on the internet while still in the first year of a console's life.[/quote]
Said douche is also right.

The only time market leadership has changed has been at the start of the transitional period. However once someone has takes the heart of the market, history has shown that the everything just snowballs from there.

The Wii has done just that. Now watch it snowball. E3 cometh.

[quote name='Zen Davis']
The only time market leadership has changed has been at the start of the transitional period. However once someone has takes the heart of the market, history has shown that the everything just snowballs from there.
.[/quote]

The Sega Genesis outsold the SNES for the first few years of their head to head battle. Then Sega started getting silly with the addons, and then the Saturn came out, and during that whole time Nintendo was still selling lots of SNES's. By the end of the 16 bit era, there were more SNES's sold than Genesis consoles. Nintendo 'won' that generation, but they didnt pull ahead until more than halfway thru the race.

I think the PS3 could do something similar... maybe...

[quote name='Puffa469'] And I think the Wii caught alot of people by surprise, so right now we have to sit thru the deluge of minigame comps and hasty ports until the real games are ready.
[/quote]

yeah i would expect a lot of great/original games coming out for the wii in 2008. its crazy that theyre selling so many wiis with a minimal selection of games right now, i wonder how much the numbers will jump when games like metroid, mario and brawl start hitting store shelves.

536258675_81f0eb84e2_o.gif

Personally, I'm surprised to see so many 360s sold. While the numbers are still abysmal, it's better than the XBox was doing.

[quote name='Puffa469']The Sega Genesis outsold the SNES for the first few years of their head to head battle. Then Sega started getting silly with the addons, and then the Saturn came out, and during that whole time Nintendo was still selling lots of SNES's. By the end of the 16 bit era, there were more SNES's sold than Genesis consoles. Nintendo 'won' that generation, but they didnt pull ahead until more than halfway thru the race.

I think the PS3 could do something similar... maybe...[/quote]

Incorrect. The Genesis had a two year head start on the SNES. It's like saying the 360 is winning because it has more consoles sold at this point. Regardless, the Wii is outpacing every other console everywhere in the world.

I don't understand the argument "we can not say if the Wii won or lost, because it's only been out for 6 months." No, that is wrong. We can most definitely say that in its first six months the Wii shamed its competitors. I don't see why everyone is so uptight about saying "okay, Nintendo won the opening." Many a chessmaster had a genius opening, and yet later committed to a mistake that had cost them "the game."

If you're are sure that Nintendo is destined to make that mistake for no other reason than PS3 deserves to win, I suggest you follow the news closely, and get ready to gloat as soon as they do. Make sure to have a few numbers here and there, or at least something that would make your falsifiable statement a little less "vapor-like."

Until then, close that bullshit spreading trap of yours. (The word YOU is used collectively) Your bullshit argument is laughable in light of recent Japanese numbers. I suggest you prove to Sony how much you love them and their system by helping them out as much as you can. And that would be by buying as many titles released so far on their PlayStation 3 as possible at FULL RETAIL PRICE. Yapping your mouth full of nonsense on an internet forum does little more than make everyone feel embarrased that a simple number-to-number comparison eludes you somehow.

[quote name='Foolman']At the current rate, PS3 is on track to sell much less in June. It is doing sub 10k numbers each week. But, Ninja Gaiden Sigma and Folksoul release this month, so I think PS3 will see one week boosts the week of the release of those games.[/QUOTE]

Yeah but Sigma is still basically a game that has already been out for a while. Sure there are some new features, but it is still a rehash. It will make people that own a PS3 happy for summer, but I highly doubt we will see a spike in console sales because of it.

Did the Gamecube have a big spike in sales when Resident Evil remake was released? Will the Wii have a spike when RE4 remake is released? Probably not, but it will do well enough to the crowd that already owns the system. Ninja Gaiden is good, but it's not even half the franchise that RE is, so I wouldn't set your hopes too high.

Newer weekly numbers show nearly an 8:1 ratio. The gap continues to widen..

It will be interesting to see if/how this changes when PS3 starts getting some decent games. The only game that interests me that is out for PS3 right now is MLB 07 (which is fantastic, but it's still a port of the PS2 version).

What excites me about this is my favorite franchises are on Nintendo consoles. Higher system sales = more Mario, Metroid, Zelda, etc.

Now just give me Mario Bowling and a new side-scrolling Donkey Kong adventure!

I also think that some people underestimate how big of a move it was for Nintendo to get the next Dragon Quest on a Nintendo system.

If there was any game in Japan to boost sales of a console, Dragon Quest would be it.

[quote name='Plinko']It will be interesting to see if/how this changes when PS3 starts getting some decent games. The only game that interests me that is out for PS3 right now is MLB 07 (which is fantastic, but it's still a port of the PS2 version).

What excites me about this is my favorite franchises are on Nintendo consoles. Higher system sales = more Mario, Metroid, Zelda, etc.

Now just give me Mario Bowling and a new side-scrolling Donkey Kong adventure![/quote]People tend to put a lot of weigh behind "system-sellers," but they really don't have that much of an impact. Halo 3, for example, will probably sell 2 million 360s in November and December, in addition to whoever would normally buy it during any non-Halo-release November and December period. But, will Halo continue to bring in 2 million new console owners every month? Certainly not. So it spikes and then settles back somewhere in the vicinity of where it was. It's possible that, especially in Japan, the PS3 might buck the trend and have much stronger sales after the system sellers like FF, MGS, etc start coming out, as a result of it being so extremely low at the moment, but we'll have to wait and see.

I'll be very interested to see how those similar releases for the Wii impact things this holiday season. Primarily because it's selling out consistently, so even if they're stockpiling, it will likely still be supply constrained in the holidays, and while selling out consistently, they are so far having very strong sales during the normal downtime, to the point where you wonder if it's going to have a downtime that would make any spikes noticable.

[quote name='Plinko']
If there was any game in Japan to boost sales of a console, Dragon Quest would be it.[/quote]doesn't Japan have a law that doesn't allow games to be released on a weekday because of a majority of people skipping class/work to go buy/play the game? at least any DQ game

[quote name='maigoyume']doesn't Japan have a law that doesn't allow games to be released on a weekday because of a majority of people skipping class/work to go buy/play the game? at least any DQ game[/quote]

That's an urban legend.

[quote name='Plinko']I also think that some people underestimate how big of a move it was for Nintendo to get the next Dragon Quest on a Nintendo system.

If there was any game in Japan to boost sales of a console, Dragon Quest would be it.[/QUOTE]

Damn straight.

Well call me the MS/Nintendo fanboy if there is such thing. Cause I throughly enjoy my DS/WII/360 then I did when I actually owned a PS2 and a PSP.

[quote name='MarioColbert']I don't understand the argument "we can not say if the Wii won or lost, because it's only been out for 6 months." No, that is wrong. We can most definitely say that in its first six months the Wii shamed its competitors. I don't see why everyone is so uptight about saying "okay, Nintendo won the opening." Many a chessmaster had a genius opening, and yet later committed to a mistake that had cost them "the game."

If you're are sure that Nintendo is destined to make that mistake for no other reason than PS3 deserves to win, I suggest you follow the news closely, and get ready to gloat as soon as they do. Make sure to have a few numbers here and there, or at least something that would make your falsifiable statement a little less "vapor-like."

Until then, close that bullshit spreading trap of yours. (The word YOU is used collectively) Your bullshit argument is laughable in light of recent Japanese numbers. I suggest you prove to Sony how much you love them and their system by helping them out as much as you can. And that would be by buying as many titles released so far on their PlayStation 3 as possible at FULL RETAIL PRICE. Yapping your mouth full of nonsense on an internet forum does little more than make everyone feel embarrased that a simple number-to-number comparison eludes you somehow.[/QUOTE]

So what you're actually saying (in an unnecessarily long diatribe) is...

If you don't believe that Nintendo has won a 5-year war within the first half of the first year, you're a bigoted Sony fanboy.

Wow! It sounds even more ridiculous without the bombast and fancy lingo!

1. Yes, Nintendo won the "opening." No one's arguing that. We're just trying to point out that the opening isn't everything.

2. Nintendo making a mistake isn't the only way that they could lose. They could, ya know, just possibly be outwitted through crafty advertising and new technologies, like any other company. There could be a flood of killer apps on another system, or a new player in the console war that wipes out the competition. Not saying any of this will happen, or that I want it to happen- just that it is an entirely possible that it could happen.

3. Kettle. Black. All that good stuff.

[quote name='Greetard']So what you're actually saying (in an unnecessarily long diatribe) is...

If you don't believe that Nintendo has won a 5-year war within the first half of the first year, you're a bigoted Sony fanboy.

Wow! It sounds even more ridiculous without the bombast and fancy lingo!

1. Yes, Nintendo won the "opening." No one's arguing that. We're just trying to point out that the opening isn't everything.
[/quote]

When has a videogame company ever won the 'opening' and then lost it?

It's never happened. From the NES to the SNES to the PSX to the PS2. It's never happened.

[quote name='Greetard']If you don't believe that Nintendo has won a 5-year war within the first half of the first year, you're a bigoted Sony fanboy.[/quote]

[quote name='MarioColbert']We can most definitely say that in its first six months the Wii shamed its competitors.[/quote]

The jump between my statement about "first six months" and "5-year win"? All yours, Greetard. I agree with everything you said, mind, except with the little factless bit about me claiming that Nintendo won the 5-year battle. I won't bother arguing with your number 1, this thread alone disassembles it perfectly.

I also have to suggest that before you go on to point out someone's "fancy lingo" or "wish to bombast," be kind and make sure that your post is clear of trendy buzz words such as "killer app," or oh-so-clever allusions to kitchen appliance-related proverbs. Since that is a rather clear attempt at "bombasting" my post without as little as deciphering what I actually wrote, that would be a better example of a "pot calling the kettle black."

By the time Sony starts to get a grip on the market through good games and what not, I will guarantee Nintendo will introduce a new model of the Wii in the market to put an end to that shit real quick.

bread's done
Back