Wii Fit - Gen. Discussion & Info - What's your Fit age?

[quote name='VioletArrows']Wii Fit, no.

The Balance Board, only if developers take it seriously and we end up with more than 5 games over the life of the console. Something tells me no on that also, though.[/quote]

Its a good thing there are over 10 games currently in development for the balance board, which presumably does not include We Ski because it was already out in Japan at the time of that statement.

Things that we know that will have support:
Don King's PrizeFighter
Skate It
Unnamed Raving Rabbids Game

This is only from the West. Its pretty much guaranteed to have more support from Japan now that the balance board has outsold the PS3.

i have no immediate need for exercise. i'm lazy, i eat badly, and i'm terribly underweight. but i know that i *should* be exercising a little bit, simply to stay relatively healthy despite my high metabolism.

that said, i could see wii fit being a good long term thing for me. i'm not using it to get myself on a strict exercise regime. i don't really care about setting goals or whatever. but i really like having a wide variety of fun mini-games that require more than button pressing, or even more than arm swinging like in wii sports.

this game is a workout, at least for my physically unfit self. i break a sweat pretty quickly when i play. and yet, still enjoy it. even push ups. and there's no reason for me to enjoy push ups.

I put in 40 minutes, and I can say you could lose a few pounds with this. Dead serious. Just eat well and play this for at least 30 minutes and you could drop a few pounds. Keep in mind what I'm saying, though :)

I have like 10 pounds to lose. I put that as my goal for the next month. Now I'm going to see if I can achieve that JUST by doing Wii Fit.

What did everyone set for their goals? I know some people will make fun of us for using this as way to lose weight (hell, I'm guilty of it too)..but after playing it, you def can see some results happening in the future.

Especially since you can unlock more difficulty/reps for exercises. That Jacknife was pretty bad ass, and even though it was just 10 reps, I def felt it.

BTW THAT STEP GAME OWNS.
That needs to become it's own game series.

I set 9 pounds in 2 months, but I'm definitely not doing Wii Fit exclusively. I'll still be hitting the weights 5 times a week, so I probably won't hit my goal.

I told it that I wanted to GAIN 7 pounds in the next year, since I'm 5'4" and 103 lb. I'm probably going to change it since I dont really want to gain that weight.

I just want the aerobics really. My weight hasnt changed in like 10 years.

I set a gain of about 7 pounds in a month which would hopefully be due to increased muscle mass. It would bring me up to the optimal Wii Fit BMI.

Went into Target around noon, they had about 8 on an endcap. Wasn't going to buy it, but decided to pick it up and I can resell or return if I change my mind...

I bike for exercise right now, but it seems like this could be good to get in an extra 30 or so minutes a day, or when I'm just too bored for the bike.

So... worth the $90? What's the consensus so far?

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']Its a good thing there are over 10 games currently in development for the balance board, which presumably does not include We Ski because it was already out in Japan at the time of that statement.

Don King's PrizeFighter
Skate It

This is only from the West. Its pretty much guaranteed to have more support from Japan now that the balance board has outsold the PS3.[/quote]

I probably should've specified that tacking it on a regular game or standing on one foot the whole time doesn't count (you know that's what at least 3 of em ar gonna be. This is the Wii we're talking about) . So that might take it down to 4.

And yet, now that I think about it, Drunken Wii Twister is sounding both stupid and intriguing right now....

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']I told it that I wanted to GAIN 7 pounds in the next year, since I'm 5'4" and 103 lb.
[/QUOTE]

David Archuleta? ;)

Anyway, I picked this up today and that was about enough exercise for me (man that box was heavier than I thought it would be!).

I really wanted to try it out but my knee is absolutely killing me right now. I think I might have to go get that checked out. I had an anterior cruciate reconstruction on it back in the dark ages. I'm worried it might actually be arthritic right now :cry:.

If I can get back at it, I'd probably put my goals similar to lilboo - and I definitely wouldn't be doing anything but Wii Fit for exercise. Well, that, and some yard work. Yeah, I know, I sound like an old man - no need to chime in Strell.

If I feel like some public humiliation later, I'll post my real/Wii Fit ages (don't know now of course - haven't opened the box yet).

ps - What's with all the IKEA references? Funny thing is I just got back from there yesterday with loads of stuff. We hadn't been since they opened it in Nov - we finally figured the crowds have died down by now. The coolest thing there - Spooka! (Each of my kids has one now).

[quote name='PleasantOne']Went into Target around noon, they had about 8 on an endcap. Wasn't going to buy it, but decided to pick it up and I can resell or return if I change my mind...

I bike for exercise right now, but it seems like this could be good to get in an extra 30 or so minutes a day, or when I'm just too bored for the bike.

So... worth the $90? What's the consensus so far?[/QUOTE]

I'd say so. I was really surprised/impressed by the balance board. I don't know why I thought it would be small, or light, or even sorta cheap.. but it's not. It's pretty heavy (but not THAT heavy) and it feels like a decent piece of hardware. Basically, I can see how this is the $40 to a $50 game...or is this going to be like Wii Play.. $10 game with a $80 board? :whistle2:k...

If you chose to do 30-45 mins a day with this, it probably wouldn't be better then biking. However, it still wouldn't be a bad choice. I haven't done nearly all of the exercises but I can def see some of the strength exercises being tough..as well as the aerobics. The Yoga seems to be a good warm up, stretching thing..but I never understood Yoga to begin with :lol:

[quote name='io']David Archuleta? ;)

Anyway, I picked this up today and that was about enough exercise for me (man that box was heavier than I thought it would be!).

I really wanted to try it out but my knee is absolutely killing me right now. I think I might have to go get that checked out. I had an anterior cruciate reconstruction on it back in the dark ages. I'm worried it might actually be arthritic right now :cry:.

If I can get back at it, I'd probably put my goals similar to lilboo - and I definitely wouldn't be doing anything but Wii Fit for exercise. Well, that, and some yard work. Yeah, I know, I sound like an old man - no need to chime in Strell.

If I feel like some public humiliation later, I'll post my real/Wii Fit ages (don't know now of course - haven't opened the box yet).[/QUOTE]

I doubt I'll lose 10lbs in the next month :lol: But that's the thing..most of the weight I wanted to lose this year is already gone. I have about 10 more pounds to feel a bit better about myself. In fact, I am considered overweight STILL. I am 158 and I am STILL overweight :rofl: :cry: The reason is I am only 5'6. Now I know that the BMI system varies with everyone, and my BMI was like 25..which is the very beginning of the "overweight" catergory. I set my goal 10lbs which is only a BMI of around 23 :rofl:.. basically, according to Wii Fit, I should probably be like 83lbs :(

EDIT:
[quote name='io']
ps - What's with all the IKEA references? Funny thing is I just got back from there yesterday with loads of stuff. We hadn't been since they opened it in Nov - we finally figured the crowds have died down by now. The coolest thing there - Spooka! (Each of my kids has one now).[/QUOTE]

Everytime you see some kind of ad for Wii Fit, the furniture is ALWAYS very IKEA'ish. Having sleek, modern furniture just make the balance board look more appealing I guess. They did do a great job marketing this game. It really is appealing to everyone, as it seems.

I will have IKEA stuff in my bedroom next time we get over there, but my basement is all Target. And Wal-Mart. And soon to be La-Z-Boy. But it looks hot. Hot enough for Wii Fit? Pictures will tell the tale soon.

I also had a gain-weight target, not sure how well it will work. Putting on 5 pounds in a month would get me out of the underweight category, so that's my plan.

[quote name='seanr1221']I set 9 pounds in 2 months, but I'm definitely not doing Wii Fit exclusively. I'll still be hitting the weights 5 times a week, so I probably won't hit my goal.[/quote]

But you could easily lose 9 pounds of fat in 2 months. That is far more important.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']Its a good thing there are over 10 games currently in development for the balance board, which presumably does not include We Ski because it was already out in Japan at the time of that statement.

Don King's PrizeFighter
Skate It

This is only from the West. Its pretty much guaranteed to have more support from Japan now that the balance board has outsold the PS3.[/QUOTE]

With 2 seconds of thinking, I'm going to say that a Super Monkey Ball with balance board support might allow me to forgive Sega for the atrocity of Banana Blitz.

RD

Well it told me I was fat and unbalanced. Big surprise.

However I took the test again after playing some more and getting the hang of everything but it said I was now holding something 7 lbs as opposed to the last time. Which I found odd because well I didn't change a thing from test 1 to test 2, so apparently I gained 7 lbs in 2 hours. Hooray me - new record.

Hopefully with time I'll get better at this because well I suck at everything (being fat and unbalanced and all). But I still actually like this. I find myself very entranced by yoga for some reason.

So if test 1 is to be believed my Wii Fit age is 47, but if test 2 is correct than I'm 40 (which just adds to my confusion because 7 lbs heavier dropped my age 7 years....)

I actually really like it -- although I do believe that $90 is a little steep (but then again, I am a CAG). I bought it so it would get me to do some stretching and balance work every day. Since I bike to work I don't really worry about the cardio so much, but every day my legs get sore after getting home. I think the yoga is really good for me. Also, I did some push ups and that got my arms burning.

I don't think that you can lose a lot of weight doing JUST Wii Fit, but you will definitely gain some muscle and improve your balance.

I'm 24 and my Wii Fit age is 23... not bad.

The mini games are really fun, although I have yet to unlock many of them. My favorite so far is the downhill jump. I'm going to motivate myself to do at least 15-20 minutes of Wii Fit every time my lazy ass wants to sit on the couch and play other games or watch a movie.

Lets see what happens.

[quote name='jello00']The mini games are really fun, although I have yet to unlock many of them. My favorite so far is the downhill jump. I'm going to motivate myself to do at least 15-20 minutes of Wii Fit every time my lazy ass wants to sit on the couch and play other games or watch a movie.

Lets see what happens.[/QUOTE]

There you go. Hook up 2 TVs next to each other. One with Wii Fit, another with the movie.

[quote name='clockworkgreen']There you go. Hook up 2 TVs next to each other. One with Wii Fit, another with the movie.[/quote]

Picture in Picture, my friend.... :lol:

I just picked up my WiiFit preorder from GS. I was 3rd in line during lunch and everyone was there to pick up their preorders also. Of course, because I went on my lunch break, I now have to sit and stare at the box for another 4 hours before I get to take it home and play! The other people at my office, though, seemed to really think it looked cool and now they are going to try and find their own copy after work today.

I'd be very interested to see how many of these they've sold already!

[quote name='lilboo']I'd say so. I was really surprised/impressed by the balance board. I don't know why I thought it would be small, or light, or even sorta cheap.. but it's not. It's pretty heavy (but not THAT heavy) and it feels like a decent piece of hardware. Basically, I can see how this is the $40 to a $50 game...or is this going to be like Wii Play.. $10 game with a $80 board? :whistle2:k...

If you chose to do 30-45 mins a day with this, it probably wouldn't be better then biking. However, it still wouldn't be a bad choice. I haven't done nearly all of the exercises but I can def see some of the strength exercises being tough..as well as the aerobics. The Yoga seems to be a good warm up, stretching thing..but I never understood Yoga to begin with :lol:[/quote]

Thankee :) Do you (or anyone else?) feel that it does a good job of keeping up your heart rate during the aerobic portions? Or is it much more a strength building sort of thing?

My cousin, who has been seriously hyped up for this, just got it and tried it yesterday. She offline messaged me last night to express her disappointment - she says there are too many breaks between the exercises? So she isn't sure how it could be all that beneficial since you stop so often?

I'm still sort of interested, though - just from a stretching and strength building perspective. And doing ANYTHING has to be better that sitting on your butt, right? Plus the next Raving Rabbids game will be using this, and I'm a sucker for those - so I might as well keep it :p

I think I'll go over to Target to get some batteries for this (not included?)... and some garlice bread for dinner... we can see what is wrong with this picture, right? ;) Ok the batteries are in there... nevermind. Hubby is gonna get stuck stopping at the store on his way home :lol: Maybe I'll go do some yardwork first, so I feel like I'm contributing to the household today ;)

Am I the only one who is having the varying weight problem. Because my living room is so small I have to get off the board and move things around. When I get back on the board it says my weight has changed since last time. Plus when I take the test it keeps showing drastic changes in my weight. Last night I gained 7 lbs, this afternoon I lost 10. I think it's because always moving the board. The board has it settle back in the carpet, etc. Because if I put it right back into the divots in my carpet from the last time I get no message about a change (Except for the BMI test that keeps changing every day no matter what)

Am I the only one having this problem?

[quote name='PleasantOne']Thankee :) Do you (or anyone else?) feel that it does a good job of keeping up your heart rate during the aerobic portions? Or is it much more a strength building sort of thing?

My cousin, who has been seriously hyped up for this, just got it and tried it yesterday. She offline messaged me last night to express her disappointment - she says there are too many breaks between the exercises? So she isn't sure how it could be all that beneficial since you stop so often?

I'm still sort of interested, though - just from a stretching and strength building perspective. And doing ANYTHING has to be better that sitting on your butt, right? Plus the next Raving Rabbids game will be using this, and I'm a sucker for those - so I might as well keep it :p

I think I'll go over to Target to get some batteries for this (not included?)... and some garlice bread for dinner... we can see what is wrong with this picture, right? ;) Ok the batteries are in there... nevermind. Hubby is gonna get stuck stopping at the store on his way home :lol: Maybe I'll go do some yardwork first, so I feel like I'm contributing to the household today ;)[/QUOTE]

Again, this is all about what you expect going into this. Each exercise = mini game. It's NOT like a 20 minute workout where you are doing something, then into something else, and so on. You choose your catergory, say Yoga. You pick an exercise. You do it. Each exercise is different in terms of time. For me, only doing it for 1 day, they are automatically set at the lowest reps OR easiest difficulty..so each exercise is only 1-3 minutes (so far.)

When you're done you can retry it or quit. Then, you can do whatever. Pick another game or go eat a donut :lol:
So I can see where she's saying there's breaks in between..but I guess having an idea in your head what exercises/games you want to do then just keep picking it one after another.

I'm sure it gets kinda crazy once you start unlocking more difficulties on certain exercises and more reps, and then you'll appreciate the little break in between.

I DO think there should have been a workout plan mode. I think there should be a mode where you input you want to play for 30 minutes. Each day it'll randomly generate 30 minutes of exercises/games for you. Then, that's it. This way you don't have to worry about breaks or what game to choose next.

Based on my ONE DAY, I can say I'm pretty happy with this. This can easily be played 30 minutes a day and that's it. The games that you play for HOOOOURS a day (My Life as a King :bomb:) get annoying after a while..:bomb:

And CRAIG, I can't comment on your weight issue with the game :( If It told me I gained 7lbs I wouldn't be here typing this because I'd be laying on railroad tracks right now :rofl: :cry:

[quote name='CombatCraig']Am I the only one who is having the varying weight problem. Because my living room is so small I have to get off the board and move things around. When I get back on the board it says my weight has changed since last time. Plus when I take the test it keeps showing drastic changes in my weight. Last night I gained 7 lbs, this afternoon I lost 10. I think it's because always moving the board. The board has it settle back in the carpet, etc. Because if I put it right back into the divots in my carpet from the last time I get no message about a change (Except for the BMI test that keeps changing every day no matter what)

Am I the only one having this problem?[/QUOTE]

I did this morning...the game put me @ 197 but I actually weigh more. Once I put those "extension feet", then my weight was about right.

Played it for the first time this morning. Put about 30 minutes into it and sweat a bit. It won't replace my gym pass but it will at least give me some more exercise activities.

Gawd, my Wii Fit age was 46, 20 years above my real age :cry: My BMI came out normal, but clearly it's all blubber and bones. I'm definitely going to have to attempt to do this everyday, but I'm unsure of how to measure progress. I'm pretty sure my weight fluctuates a bit, plus I have a major sweet tooth, so I'm afraid weight gain is an inaccurate measure. Oh well, we'll see how it goes. I think my butt is actually a little sore from attempting to do those lunges correctly. :oops:

[quote name='judyjudyjudy']Gawd, my Wii Fit age was 46, 20 years above my real age :cry: My BMI came out normal, but clearly it's all blubber and bones. I'm definitely going to have to attempt to do this everyday, but I'm unsure of how to measure progress. I'm pretty sure my weight fluctuates a bit, plus I have a major sweet tooth, so I'm afraid weight gain is an inaccurate measure. Oh well, we'll see how it goes. I think my butt is actually a little sore from attempting to do those lunges correctly. :oops:[/QUOTE]

Was today your first day?
Mine was yesterday and I just did my second day today. I did it eysterday at 6:05pm and today was like 2:30pm.. it told me it's best to do it the same time each day because your weight can go up and down 2 pounds.

My age was 37 now I'm 31 ^_^ and I lost .3 BMI \\:D// (aka I peed)

[quote name='PleasantOne']
[/QUOTE]

I'm wondering if part of it is because of all the demos and intro stuff you go through the first time you do an exercise. I haven't done my second day yet (won't have a chance until tomorrow), so I don't know for sure. But like liboo said, you'll unlock bigger exercises (more reps, longer jogging times) later, the more you do.

[quote name='lilboo']Was today your first day?[/QUOTE]I tried it yesterday, and yeah, it was my first day. I'm hoping part of the reason my age is so large cuz I had no fucking clue what I was doing. We'll find out tonight!

My fiance just noticed the Wii Fit box has an image of some sort of boxing mini-game. He was obsessed with Wii Boxing, so he's super-excited about getting that now. According to gamefaqs, he needs 1hr 40min to get it. I wonder how many days it'll take him.

Well my total time is currently like 1 hour 20 minutes.. so I'd say a good 3, maybe 4 days. I should have that unlocked tomorrow.

I unlocked the OK stamp from Brain Age. ^_^
The Jacknife is STILL one of my favorite exercises.
My big ass can NOT do these fuckin Yoga exercises. I'be already fallen face first off the board 3x :lol: :cry: :whistle2:(

Well, I just got done. This is... interesting.

It told me I'm fat (duh), and wobbly - fit age of 44 (I'm 26). But the trainer told me I had good balance in the exercises

My balance on the balance games, however, largely SUCKS :) Especially the soccer one. It feels like the board takes too much time to register my movement, but I'm probably just moving too slow. If it was just side to side, it would be easier, but with stuff coming down the middle too, I have real problems getting it to register me as standing up straight (at least in a timely manner). I LOVE the hula hoop and marble games, though.

I also love the little warning graphic for not jumping on the board. I think a better caption for it would be, "Don't let other Jedi use their force powers to suspend you in midair over the Balance Board."

Step aerobics was better than it looked in the video - if only because I was working out with Freddie Mercury and Elton John... where else can you get that experience, I ask you? No place, that's where.

A few things I don't like: A) how often you have to use the wiimote in the game. It's a PITA putting it in and taking it out of my pocket all the time. Not to mention my usual workout clothes don't even HAVE pockets.

And B) exercises that require laying on the floor. My carpet is uncomfortable (I guess I need a yoga mat?) and the board seems to slide around some, especially on pushups... I about fell flat on my face for that one. That could be about my posture, though. I started doing girl push ups and didn't have as much of a problem.

Oh, and C) how they rate you on exercises where they really have no idea how you did (like push ups). Apparenlty I am pushing up at the body builder level.. which is... just wrong :whistle2:|

As it stands now - I think this will be really great for stretching, strengthening, etc, but not so much for aerobics. That may change as I unlock more, though. I think it's going to be a nice compliment to my biking and weights, at any rate.

[quote name='lilboo']
The Jacknife is STILL one of my favorite exercises.
My big ass can NOT do these fuckin Yoga exercises. I'be already fallen face first off the board 3x :lol: :cry: :whistle2:([/quote]

The Jacknife hurts my hiney! :lol: I can do the yoga exercises, but I don't think I'm getting the full yoga experience. The trainer is telling me to, "Relax, breath in through your nose... breathe out through your nose."... meanwhile I'm standing there like, "don't fall... don't fall... oh I'm gonna fall... GONNA FALL!... that was close... don't fall... oh yeah, breathe.... now don't fall" :lol:

I have to say that I'm a fan of the yoga. The strength training is also certainly being felt in my various parts of body at the moment.

According to Wii Fit, I dropped 1.8 pounds and cut 10 years off of my Fit Age (from 39 to 29) between yesterday and today.

Whatever you say, little board man.

[quote name='PleasantOne']
And B) exercises that require laying on the floor. My carpet is uncomfortable (I guess I need a yoga mat?) and the board seems to slide around some, especially on pushups... I about fell flat on my face for that one. That could be about my posture, though. I started doing girl push ups and didn't have as much of a problem.
[/QUOTE]

:lol:
They are one step ahead of you!

http://www.amazon.com/Hori-UHWI-20-..._8?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1211498013&sr=8-8

http://www.amazon.com/Wii-Fit-Balan..._4?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1211498013&sr=8-4

$25-$28 is nuts.

Anyone pick up that rechargeable battery pack for the board?

http://www.amazon.com/Rechargeable-..._3?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1211498013&sr=8-3

[quote name='lilboo']
I DO think there should have been a workout plan mode. I think there should be a mode where you input you want to play for 30 minutes. Each day it'll randomly generate 30 minutes of exercises/games for you. Then, that's it. This way you don't have to worry about breaks or what game to choose next.
[/quote]
I thought this was weird too. I thought I had read the game would include something like this, and even Wii Sports kind of has something similar. Maybe it's something they can add using the Wii Fit channel. I hope. As much as I like having control over what I do next, I like the idea of being forced to do events I would normally avoid. It would also give me a little more faith in the "fitness" aspect of this "game" - if I set a goal to gain weight, the trainer should be forcing me to do more strength training and less calorie burners.

[quote name='lilboo']:lol:

$25-$28 is nuts.
[/quote]

I wonder if they know that in the fitness section of walmart they sell yoga mats for like $10-15.

[quote name='VioletArrows']I wonder if they know that in the fitness section of walmart they sell yoga mats for like $10-15.[/QUOTE]

Or $3-$5 at Five Below :lol:

[quote name='lilboo']:lol:
They are one step ahead of you!

http://www.amazon.com/Hori-UHWI-20-..._8?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1211498013&sr=8-8

http://www.amazon.com/Wii-Fit-Balan..._4?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1211498013&sr=8-4

$25-$28 is nuts.[/QUOTE]
Those look like regular yoga mats to me. They're only $10-15 at any sporting goods store. Unless you really need a Wii Fit branding on it.

I do wonder if those silicon covers are necessary. Anyone's board have feet marks yet? I can't imagine they smell good either. :lol:

I've played for about 45 minutes total over two days. I've noticed that the scale is not very accurate on carpet, it's much more accurate on tile.

Anyways, it's pretty enjoyable. I certainly get a better workout at the gym, but Wii Fit is more entertaining and there are lots of activities.

[nerd] To the people who have this game or would be getting it soon, would anyone be interested in starting some kind of experiment? Set up a 2 week or 1 month goal with JUST using this as any forms of exercise (of course, with proper diet) to see what kind of results we can actually get from this?

This would be a whole other thread (and you know I'm awesome and would keep it updated ^_^)

So just give me some feedback. I really do think this could be interesting. :)
[/nerd]

[quote name='lilboo'][nerd] To the people who have this game or would be getting it soon, would anyone be interested in starting some kind of experiment? Set up a 2 week or 1 month goal with JUST using this as any forms of exercise (of course, with proper diet) to see what kind of results we can actually get from this?

This would be a whole other thread (and you know I'm awesome and would keep it updated ^_^)

So just give me some feedback. I really do think this could be interesting. :)
[/nerd][/quote]
I am already doing this as of yesterday. I'm curious to see if it can be used to gain wait in the form of muscle mass, so I'm in. I set my goal on the game of gaining 7 pounds in two months, but that was just arbitrary. If you're doing a month, I will too.

[quote name='HuppSav']7.0 from Gamespot
I would buy this if they announce the next ssx will be using it.
Wii ski looks pretty good, probably more fun than wii fit.[/QUOTE]
I truly believe that they will. When I picked mine up at Gamestop I was looking at the Wii games coming out soon. One is a skateboard game like Skate that uses the Wii Fit board. There were at least 3 others but I can't really remember. However, I did see a new Mario baseball game coming out.

[quote name='lilboo']Wait until you unlock Super Hula Hoop :rofl: IN-SANE[/QUOTE]

Wait until you unlock the advanced Super Hula Hoop - it doubles the time.

bread's done
Back