Wii Fit Plus - Released October 4th

utopianmachine

Nintendo Fangirl
Feedback
241 (100%)
Just ordered my copy from Amazon for $17.xx with the ECA discount. As someone who actively used Wii Fit last year this time to lose about 30 lbs combined with a low carb diet, I'm looking forward to Wii Fit Plus to help me lose a little more in time for my wedding in January.

The reviews are coming in, with IGN ranking the game at 82, saying: "The fittingly-named Wii Fit Plus, which effectively replaces the original product, is every bit the enhancement over its predecessor, sporting a handful of new exercises, more mini-games, and a few extra layers of much-needed calorie-burning guidance.

Did you combine any running into your weight loss workouts, or was it just Wii Fit plus the diet? I use a treadmill currently and I absolutely hate it (even though it works), so ordered Wii Fit Plus in hopes of it providing a similar result without having to use a treadmill.

[quote name='Ryukahn']Did you combine any running into your weight loss workouts, or was it just Wii Fit plus the diet? I use a treadmill currently and I absolutely hate it (even though it works), so ordered Wii Fit Plus in hopes of it providing a similar result without having to use a treadmill.[/QUOTE]

Towards the end, I did get into walking/jogging a bit, but as I was using Wii Fit at least 4 days a week this time last year, it started to get cold outside and I didn't want to work out outside anymore.

Keep in mind, though, I was roughly 230 at that time, so it's easier for the pounds to peel off when you're a walrus. ;)

I'm at about 202 right now, but at my lowest point I was 195. (Please keep in mind that 2 years ago, I was 260 lbs.) It's great to have lost so much weight, but I want to, obviously, be even thinner, for myself and my health and for my fiance, and for the obvious corresponding bedroom activities which tend to take place frequently after marriage. :bouncy:

Shrug, I was 250 at the beginning of the year, and with running 5 days a week I got it down to 228, but I've hit a wall and I really don't like running anyway, so I've still got lots to drop too. ;) I'm hoping I can restart the weight loss and target areas that haven't shed the pounds/size as quickly as other areas using Wii Fit, and it seems that is the case, so I can't wait for it to arrive. Maybe I should start some kind of log when I get the game so I can see how much, if any, it helps.

[quote name='Ryukahn']Maybe I should start some kind of log when I get the game so I can see how much, if any, it helps.[/QUOTE]

Good luck you, and congrats on losing as much as you have. I didn't really like walking/jogging myself. I found Wii Fit and, later, Gold's Gym Cardio Workout to provide the workout I needed while making it more like playing a game.

And Wii Fit will provide a sort of log for you. It goes back to the very first day I bought it. It'll tell you how your weight and BMI fluctuate over time. Keep in mind, obviously, that a lot of folks complain about BMI scales if they have significant muscle mass. This generally affects men more. As a female, I can't say I'm the body-builder type, and I tend to take what it says about BMI for relative truth.

Yeah, I'm getting mine tomorrow too, and all I used was FSSS from Amazon. I'm quite shocked that it won't take a 7+ days like it normally does with FSSS. :bouncy:

My copy arrived today. Seems pretty neat so far, and I like it a lot more than running on a treadmill. Definitely need to make time to fit about an hour of this into my day, which shouldn't be terribly hard since I wont run, at least not for the time being.

BMI is definitely ridiculous though, as it said my recommended weight is like 154 lbs. I'm big boned, so there is no way in hell I'd ever weigh that little unless I was incredibly sick and on my death bed or something.

Started up my copy today, but it's been so long since I last played that the batteries in my Balance Board had died :whistle2:( I've got a bunch in the recharger now.

At least the talking board in the game didn't chastise me about my long absence, as I'd seen it do before in Wii Fit.

[quote name='blueshinra']At least the talking board in the game didn't chastise me about my long absence, as I'd seen it do before in Wii Fit.[/QUOTE]

Give it time. ;)

I'm going to fire the game up tomorrow morning and work out. Looking forward to the whole fitness regime. Been needing something new to spice up my workout. If the game is indeed completely the original with bonus content, I'm going to be selling Wii Fit to eBay.

Hmm. So, what the hell?
Everything seems pretty good, in a much better way.

I looked at the My Routine..you can only add strength and yoga to it?.. why? It's weird. If you pick one of their routines, it'll have some yoga and strength and some aerobics or one of the mini games...but you can't pick any of the mini games/aerobics for your routine? That seems.. pointless. Hula Hoop & Basic Step & Basic Run are great to have part of a routine. :whistle2:s

Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

[quote name='lilboo']Hmm. So, what the hell?
Everything seems pretty good, in a much better way.

I looked at the My Routine..you can only add strength and yoga to it?.. why? It's weird. If you pick one of their routines, it'll have some yoga and strength and some aerobics or one of the mini games...but you can't pick any of the mini games/aerobics for your routine? That seems.. pointless. Hula Hoop & Basic Step & Basic Run are great to have part of a routine. :whistle2:s

Maybe I'm doing something wrong?[/QUOTE]

I'm gonna be doing some workouts in about an hour or so, so I'll post if I'm able to add all of the different activities to the routine or not.

Just started my Wii Fit Plus up, and impressions as follows:

Getting Started

I was disappointed to see only 3 strength and 3 yoga activities added, but the 15 new balance games are quite the expansion.

I like the new estimator of how many calories you spent in an activity. While it's certainly an estimate and likely inaccurate, it's still probably fairly close to actuality. It's just a nice touch. Also, the activities have their MET listed, for those that follow that.

It's interesting to note that the male trainer has lost his ponytail and that he looks a little less like a mid-20's kid trying to balance his budding alcoholism with a career in fitness. ;)

New Games

Among the new games, I tried the Segway Circuit game and found it not as enjoyable as I wanted. Leaning forward on the Wii Balance Board while steering with a remote in my hand was a little cumbersome. The little kitty helping me pop the beach balls cheered me up, though. The environments are a bit bland and blurry.

I really enjoyed Snowball Fight. It was great fun throwing Snowballs at all the little Miis, especially the ones that are represent my friends and family. That game controlled really well.

The Perfect 10 activity reminded me of something that would be at home in a Brain Age compilation. Adding while working out seems right up the Touch Generations alley, so to speak.

Routines

I started to try to create a routine, but it seemed to complicated, with activities that corresponded with pictures that seemed somewhat meaningless to me. I backed out of this, and just started messing with individual workout groups. The first thing I tried was a Warm-Up activity.

The Warm-Up activity has the Warrior pose, Bird's-Eye, and the Downward-Facing Dog. The Bird's Eye game is really cute. It's surprising to see myself in a chicken costume, and I was really surprised how well the game seemed to register me flapping my arms. That one would be fun in a group setting. I liked the Downward-Facing Dog pose; if it's not one of the new poses, it's one I've never tried before.

And for you, lilboo, certain activities do indeed use the Balance Games. For example, selecting the Form -> Hips activity will start with the Single-Leg Extension, the Advanced Step, and the Standing Knee yoga pose. I have to admit I didn't combine things into a bigger routine, but I would imagine it would transition over there.

While doing these routines, I was surprised that I still needed the Wii remote constantly. I had assumed that either the exercises would flow into each other. It's not a big deal, as the whole game feels more focused now, but it is a surprise.

Balance Test & Final Look

When I was finished and decided to do the Balance Test, I was surprised to see a new type of activity, one that reminded me of the Segway Circuit game. You've got to not only shift your weight to align with the meter on the bars, but also rotate your Wii remote in your hand to a specified angle. It took me a few seconds to figure out what I was supposed to be doing, so I didn't score very highly this time.

One thing I was interested to check is that the Wii records the scores you get in the activities you complete during the Wii Fit Plus Training. For example, I only played Bird's Eye during the routine, but it still registers my score when I go to play the activity during standard play.

Oh, and when I was getting ready to place my stamp for today's progress, I decided to just switch through and look at the other stamps. I've never really done this before, but I found that the Mii-headed stamp pretty great. No idea if this is new.

Conclusion

For $20, you're getting enough to justify the cost. With 3 new yoga poses, 3 new strength exercises, and 15 new balance games, that alone is a nice bonus. I wish there were more aerobic activities, as those were some of my favorites from the first Wii Fit, but I noticed that the new games included on Wii Fit Plus seem like more of a workout, some of them, than the previous balance games. The new routines are a great and needed addition and allow a LOT of customization.

So, long story short, I'm happy. :D

No no no, not the Wii Fit Plus Routines. The one where you choose your activities in a playlist. You can only choose yoga & strength. The Wii Fit Plus routines you can pick their routines and you can even combine their routines together. That's neat, but why can't I fully customize my own list??

:(

[quote name='lilboo']No no no, not the Wii Fit Plus Routines. The one where you choose your activities in a playlist. You can only choose yoga & strength. The Wii Fit Plus routines you can pick their routines and you can even combine their routines together. That's neat, but why can't I fully customize my own list??

:([/QUOTE]

Yup, can only use those two exercise types, which is a bummer.

[quote name='utopianmachine']...corresponding bedroom activities which tend to take place frequently after marriage. :bouncy:[/QUOTE]
Rookie. You've obviously never been married before. ;):rofl::joystick:

[quote name='Lawyers Guns N Money']Rookie. You've obviously never been married before. ;):rofl::joystick:[/QUOTE]

Nope. First time, last time.

Wedding is 1/16. I hope to have lost at least 10 more pounds by then. Shouldn't be too hard.

[quote name='utopianmachine']It's interesting to note that the male trainer has lost his ponytail and that he looks a little less like a mid-20's kid trying to balance his budding alcoholism with a career in fitness. ;)[/QUOTE]
The male trainer had a ponytail? *always used the female one*

[quote name='utopianmachine']I really enjoyed Snowball Fight. It was great fun throwing Snowballs at all the little Miis, especially the ones that are represent my friends and family. That game controlled really well.[/QUOTE]
I really like this one as well. The cycling minigame isn't too shabby either, though steering to the left was a bit off for me. Anyone else have this problem?

The only other new minigames I've tried so far is the juggling one, which is tricky, and the skateboarding one, which will take some getting used to.

[quote name='blueshinra']The male trainer had a ponytail? *always used the female one*[/QUOTE]

Usually, guys go with the girl trainer, girls with the guy. In Wii Fit, the guy did indeed have a ponytail, or rather, a tiny little ponytail-of-a-thing. I was trying to find a picture of it on the web, but didn't find anything.

I liked one joke I ran across, that it made the guy look like a jedi apprentice. :D

Edit: This is the best I could find for the time being. A crappy YouTube video. The ponytail starts at :41.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDzIXsGcZK8[/media]

[quote name='utopianmachine']Usually, guys go with the girl trainer, girls with the guy.[/QUOTE]

I most definitely picked the female.

After spending more time with it, I'm not sure I can use this to replace the treadmill running. I usually burn about 350 calories when I run according to the treadmill, and today I spent twice as long on Wii Fit Plus but only got like 230 calories. I did however spend a lot of time doing Yoga stuff since I could feel it working well, so that is probably a large part of why it's so low. For tomorrow, I guess I'll try to do 30 minutes of yoga and 30 minutes of aerobics and see where I'm at calorie wise.

[quote name='utopianmachine']Usually, guys go with the girl trainer, girls with the guy.[/QUOTE]
Really? :???: I'm female myself. Also, I think my husband's used both trainers, but I can't remember offhand which one he preferred.

That ponytail is... interesting (and yeah, he does look like a padawan). Also, my inner spelling nazi wants to smack the person who made that video :roll:

[quote name='Ryukahn']For tomorrow, I guess I'll try to do 30 minutes of yoga and 30 minutes of aerobics and see where I'm at calorie wise.[/QUOTE]

You would definitely burn more calories doing more "intensive" exercises like the aerobics activities.

All the different ways we have to exercise out there all come down to this: do what you want. If you can't seem to make yourself run on a treadmill and you like Wii Fit better, go with that. For myself, I'm just more inclined to workout if I do it through Wii Fit and don't have to go outside, especially now that colder weather is coming.

[quote name='blueshinra']That ponytail is... interesting (and yeah, he does look like a padawan). Also, my inner spelling nazi wants to smack the person who made that video :roll:[/QUOTE]

I know what you mean. I was cringing, but at least I found a "pic" of the ponytail.

[quote name='basketb']There seems to be some form of "serial" multiplayer support available in this version. Has anyone tried it yet?[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure what serial multiplayer means, but the game does have a multiplayer element. My fiance came over last night, and we started playing around with the multiplayer option on Wii Fit. When you select multiplayer, only 9 games come up, not the entire roster of games on the Wii. You can take turns playing, and it'll track your score in comparison to the other player, but none of the scores are saved in regards to the actual game. We got some great scores in different games, and I was really disappointed that the scores wouldn't be in the high scores for me to try to beat later.

Gaming with him didn't start so well. He was down that he couldn't come close to my score in Snowball Fight nor Bird's-Eye Bull's-Eye. It just seemed hard for him to coordinate upper and lower body for these games. We switched to the Ski Jump and Ski Salom, and he out-performed me within a couple of tries! Neither of us enjoyed the Driving Range game, which just seems like a weak Wii Sports Golf. Hula-Hooping was on there, but we didn't play it.

The game we spent the most time with was the Obstacle Course. Let me just say, this game is incredible. I felt like I was playing a level in Super Mario 64, only I was really playing. It felt almost like a sort of virtual reality experience, and the sensation was so exhilarating, I was whooping and jumping up and down when I reached the end. It just was such a thrill.

I can understand the value of multiplayer in certain scenarios. Say you have two or more people not comfortable with the Wii Balance Board that want to play. It's better for them to play in this multiplayer setting, than for you to take them to an individual game and play. They'll be discouraged when they see your own super high score and them not even ranking. For he and I, though, I would have liked it better for he and I to play in the regular sort of game mode, switching characters so that our scores would have been saved.

Still, the multiplayer element is a big win. When I've tried to let folks play the Wii Fit games in the past, it was a big pain cycling back through so many menus to try to switch characters over and over again. Wii Fit just didn't have multiplayer in any degree in mind.

Clear winner: Wii Fit Plus

Well, to add to what I did yesterday, I woke up this morning very sore, especially in my target areas, so I guess the yoga and whatnot worked heh.

Weird, the guy trainer randomly showed up today to lead the workouts, even though I selected the female when I first started the routines when I got it and haven't switched it since. Any reason why that would happen?

[quote name='utopianmachine']I'm not sure what serial multiplayer means, but the game does have a multiplayer element. ... You can take turns playing, ...

Clear winner: Wii Fit Plus[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the informative write-up.
Serial multiplayer means exactly what you described. You have to take turns rather than playing concurrently.

[quote name='Ryukahn']Weird, the guy trainer randomly showed up today to lead the workouts, even though I selected the female when I first started the routines when I got it and haven't switched it since. Any reason why that would happen?[/QUOTE]

It's only happened to me a couple times that the other trainer will suddenly pop up for a session. It's just a random thing to add some variation.

[quote name='basketb']Thanks for the informative write-up.
Serial multiplayer means exactly what you described. You have to take turns rather than playing concurrently.[/QUOTE]

Glad I described what you needed!

I just read an interesting article on Yahoo (looks like it's geared towards women, but I'm sure the general feel can apply to me!) about how using the treadmill too much can be bad. The article hit the nail on the head for me as far as not seeing results goes, as I haven't seen anything in about 2 months, when before I had seen several pounds every 2 weeks coming off.

[quote name='Ryukahn']I just read an interesting article on Yahoo (looks like it's geared towards women, but I'm sure the general feel can apply to me!) about how using the treadmill too much can be bad. The article hit the nail on the head for me as far as not seeing results goes, as I haven't seen anything in about 2 months, when before I had seen several pounds every 2 weeks coming off.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for sharing that. It's pretty informative.

I got the dude trainer again today, so needed to back out of my workout session and do that until I got the female. It's kind of annoying.

I finally played this today and really like it. Many of the new games are great. I really like the skateboarding and obstacle course. Birds eye bulls eye is funny and fun, though I think that one won't last. Clever though. I also like the targeted routines and the ability to string them together. I agree that it's strange that you can't add aerobic exercises to a completely custom routine, but I'm probably best served by the targeted routines, so it's not too big of a deal and many of the aerobic activities are longer, so the issue of having to select from menus between them isn't as big of a deal.

Well I just picked this up during TRU's B2G1. The cashier was doing his normal "Do you want batteries? Do you want to sign up for a credit card?" deal, but when he asked me about the protection plan and I said no, he asked me if I was sure, as the Wii Fit boards have a history of cracking.

Was he just talking out of his ass or is this a valid concern. I had not heard that before about the balance board, but I never really paid attention to any Wii Fit discussion to begin with.

[quote name='lolwut?']Was he just talking out of his ass or is this a valid concern. I had not heard that before about the balance board, but I never really paid attention to any Wii Fit discussion to begin with.[/QUOTE]

I haven't heard anything about this either. How on earth do you crack the Balance Board? The thing's a rock.

Haha, yeah; now that it's out of the box, I have no idea how you could crack this thing. I'm only around 185; the cashier looked like he could've been pushing 300 though.

Just played/exercised some more today, after a week absence (hard to keep up spirits when unemployed). I started out "warming up" with Snowball Fight and Obstacle Course, two of my new favorite games. Soon, I did another round of the Obstacle Course, some Bird's Eye-Bull's Eye, a Basic Run Plus, and then the Cycling game.

I unlocked advanced modes of several games, as I scored well, beating previous scores.

I was surprised by the little mental test at the end of the Basic Run Plus. I liked following a dog far better than a randomized person, and it said that tomorrow a cat would show me the way.

The cycling game was a good workout for me. I was surprised at how long it took, what with me wandering around trying to find the final flag for a bit. It told me I cycled around 1.5 miles.

I really enjoyed my session today. I think the new games are largely better than the ones in the first title. At the end, it told me I'd lost 4 lbs from last time, which brought a big smile to my face. I have been being more careful about what/when I eat, so I must be doing something right.

You aren't suppose to jump up and down on the balance board, so I suppose it could crack if you did that too much. Just don't do that.

My fiance and I played again last night, simply using single-player mode and switching between Miis so that our high scores would register. He aced he easily in the juggling game, keeping centered far more easily than I did.

The skateboarding game is fun, but I'm discovering I have no sense of steering once the board is turned sideways. The snowboarding game and skateboarding are so just not my forte. Guess if I ever go skiing, I'll hug the bunny slopes.

Tried Rhythm Kung Fu today. Pretty cute.

The new stuff is all pretty good, though the yoga/strength only custom routines kinda suck, though it's not really a big deal. Most of the new stuff is really fun. Unlocking advanced and expert versions seemed a little too easy though.

Dave

[quote name='utopianmachine']I just realized that some folks might look at the name Wii Fit Plus and assume it may be for plus-sized people. :)[/QUOTE]

Hahaha.

I've looked at this game and I have to say it does look pretty promising. I loved the first Wii Fit, though it was good fun.

I guess this'll go on my wish list.

So how is everybody doing on this? After the first 2 weeks of still not losing any lbs, I went back to using the Treadmill as well (30 minutes of Yoga first then I run for 30 minutes, followed by ~20 minutes of strength training later in the day) and it seems to be working well. I feel a lot more energetic, definitely notice I can stretch farther, I've lost a few lbs, and I was able to step up to a faster speed on the treadmill. So overall, I'm pretty pleased with how this has helped, though it wasn't the replacement to running that I had hoped it would be.

bread's done
Back