Wii Music- Gen. Discussion & Info: Out Now!

[quote name='MarioColbert']
Dude, you heard about DS-bound rerelease of Fire Emblem 1 or something?[/quote]
Mmhmm. Multiplayer, too. Hope you like having an army of Armour Knights all up ons.

[quote name='Artie Lange']Well, there goes one of Nintendo's two "big" holiday games.[/QUOTE]

I actually had to think for a moment what the other one is.

:(

ign biased on their review. the reviewer assumes that a game is to have a "mission" like guitar hero, rock band, etc....

1up is more accurate on their part of the review.

musicians like wii music more then guitar hero and etc.... why?!

[quote name='Artie Lange']Well, there goes one of Nintendo's two "big" holiday games.[/QUOTE]

A little to early to tell, depending on how one interprets this statement.

[quote name='Casiotech']people who like wiimusic may also like...[/quote]

What about those of us that find YATTA to be an extensively entertaining experience which WiiMusic can not possibly hope to match?

lilboo: you with me on this?

[quote name='Artie Lange']Well, there goes one of Nintendo's two "big" holiday games.[/quote]

what? This game may be awful but it's still going to sell millions.

[quote name='wii skiier']Shit sounds shit, but I enjoy shit. I devour it to fulfillment. I will wear my virtual dog suit while you cry, listening closely to the tunes of excrement.

I understand why some virtual folksies might not like this shit. It is shit to some and pleasurable secretion/excretion to others.[/quote]

yeah, I think everyone gets that there are people who like it because it seems fun. Then again the tautology of "hey, some guys like it, some guys don't" is really annoying, mostly because people use it to mean "stop saying bad/good things about the thing I like/hate."

but you have a casey avatar, lets not fight :(

I think its a ripoff at $50. I think Wii Music would have been a good idea if it was a downloadable application on Wiiware for like $20, but as a full retail game at a full price, its a waste of money.

[quote name='ninja dog']
but you have a casey avatar, lets not fight :([/quote]
I WANNA SPEND MY DAYS IN A CABOOS-SAY
I WANNA RIDE ALL AROUND IN A CHOO CHOO TRAIN

Not only are most of the 50-plus tracks lifted from the public domain -- such timeless hits as Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star, O Christmas Tree, My Grandfather's Clock and Bridal Chorus -- but they are also rendered in archaic, amateur MIDI.
Hey, that whole "MC GOES RAGE" bit that Strell/Crotch were talking about? fucking this is the kind of quote that gets me. This is exactly a bad case of "I do not know what the fuck I'm talking about." Sad thing is - it wasn't written by anyone on these forums, unless Matt Casanablanca is actually Linkin Prime someone on here - and everything is possible.

I'd love to see how you can render shit in MIDI. In fact, if WiiMusic renders shit in MIDI, I'll buy it out of sheer principle of "what the fuck."

[quote name='MarioColbert']What about those of us that find YATTA to be an extensively entertaining experience which WiiMusic can not possibly hope to match?

lilboo: you with me on this?[/quote]

yeah who am I kidding, yatta is the shit.

Are we really getting on a high horse about how MIDI is used incorrectly? Seriously...

Aside from the sound quality being inherently bad, I have yet to see any videos/demonstrations of the game that actually make me want to buy it. To me, it just looks like a over-glorified tech demo.

[quote name='BlueLobstah']Are we really getting on a high horse about how MIDI is used incorrectly? Seriously...[/quote]Music. Major Master. Motherfuckers.

I really like Wiimusic, but I really wish it was priced at $40 not $50, ah well I'll get it with a I plan to get this game sometime in the future either sooner or later playing Nintendo songs are cool I agree the most of the music selection is not my favorite for something like this I hope Nintendo plans do do downloadable music packs for wii music if not. =(

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='crunchewy']Don't know if everyone saw this and I was surprised to not see this posted here. This video has pretty much sold me on the game - there definitely seems to be more to the game then was made apparent from the original presentation. How did they blow that original presentation so badly?[/quote]

This video almost convinced me to make this a first day purchase. The tracklist is really lackluster though.

This needed Brawl's OST. Or at least more Nintendo songs.

[quote name='meerkatgamer']I really like Wiimusic, but I really wish it was priced at $40 not $50, ah well I'll get it with a I plan to get this game sometime in the future either sooner or later playing Nintendo songs are cool I agree the most of the music selection is not my favorite for something like this I hope Nintendo plans do do downloadable music packs for wii music if not. =([/QUOTE]

Amazon is offering a $20 giftcard with a purchase of Wii Music. They send the code 10 days after the promotion ends, which is Oct 31st right now.

[quote name='theflicker']Amazon is offering a $20 giftcard with a purchase of Wii Music. They send the code 10 days after the promotion ends, which is Oct 31st right now.[/QUOTE]

Too bad Amazon Canada isn't offering this.

I picked up Wii Music at Futureshop today. I haven't opened it yet, but I plan on playing it this afternoon with my 3 year old daughter. She should like it. My wife is also gone all evening so I guess I will have something new to do.

Played it a bit solo. It's definitely should have been one of those $30 MSRP games like Endless Ocean. It has 3 "games" and the rest is, as other people put it, playing public domain songs with terrible MIDI synth. A party game.

The part where you can record and "share" videos (which translates into: can only share with people on your wii friend's list, there aren't publicly available videos) is neat.

[quote name='EXStrike']Just ordered Wii Music from Amazon. Can't wait to try it out.[/quote]

Are you made of money, or do you just not read reviews?

[quote name='DarkSageRK']Are you made of money, or do you just not read reviews?[/quote]

A- from 1Up, 5.0 from IGN. The best reviewer is you. Plus it's a Nintendo first-party game and should hold its value.

IGN
10/17/2008
5 out of 10
50.0%
GameSpy
10/17/2008
3.5 out of 5
70.0%
1UP
10/16/2008
A-
90.0%
Kombo
10/20/2008
5 out of 10
50.0%
GamePro
10/20/2008
3.5 out of 5
70.0%

Considering the 7/10 is average in the game industry, most reviewers find it average or worse. If you don't like scores, please check out the Kotaku review making sure to read the last paragraph.

The only reason anyone cares about this game is because of the Nintendo brand. You'd get better value out of your $50 by burning it and looking at the pretty flames.

[quote name='DarkSageRK']
The only reason anyone cares about this game is because of the Nintendo brand. You'd get better value out of your $50 by burning it and looking at the pretty flames.[/QUOTE]

Oh please. That could be leveled at almost ANY company.

[quote name='Nintendo Defense Force']Oh please. That could be leveled at almost ANY company.[/quote]

Very few video game companies actually have brands that many people associate with quality. :/

Screwattack went over it on Out of the Box this afternoon and tore into it pretty hardcore. Craig said he was ashamed of it.

There is a lot of hate for this game and I think a lot of it is just for show. Especially the people parroting the comments from some of the "reviews" when they haven't played the game themselves.

I played it for about 2 hours more this evening and it's enjoyable. It isn't a "game". If you are going into it looking for some sort of goal, good luck. It is what it is. It isn't a bad game. It isn't a great game. However, other than the relatively low quality synth sounds, I don't really see anything I would do much differently. I don't expect much longevity, but it's essentially a party game, so no one should.

I can totally see how some people would not "get" this game. I'm not saying I love it, but I "get" the game and enjoy it for what it is: a pseudo-creative music game. If you don't have an understanding of the foundations of basic music, tempo, or the various alternate parts of a song, like my wife, then you will have a harder time enjoying the game. She thinks the game is ridiculous. Then again, she is also tone deaf and can barely keep a beat going for more than a few seconds.

Wii Sports and Wario Ware were great party games because you had even more fun when you were drunk. I can't see this being the case with Wii music.

We have a station set up for it at work, so I'll probably give it a go after my shift on Friday.

[quote name='Zing']There is a lot of hate for this game and I think a lot of it is just for show. Especially the people parroting the comments from some of the "reviews" when they haven't played the game themselves.

I played it for about 2 hours more this evening and it's enjoyable. It isn't a "game". If you are going into it looking for some sort of goal, good luck. It is what it is. It isn't a bad game. It isn't a great game. However, other than the relatively low quality synth sounds, I don't really see anything I would do much differently. I don't expect much longevity, but it's essentially a party game, so no one should.

I can totally see how some people would not "get" this game. I'm not saying I love it, but I "get" the game and enjoy it for what it is: a pseudo-creative music game. If you don't have an understanding of the foundations of basic music, tempo, or the various alternate parts of a song, like my wife, then you will have a harder time enjoying the game. She thinks the game is ridiculous. Then again, she is also tone deaf and can barely keep a beat going for more than a few seconds.[/quote]
I wish my copy would come. I actually went to two stores yesterday (Target and Blockbuster) to just buy a copy and then later return the one I'm waiting for in the mail, but neither had it or even seemed to have any clue it should be coming out.

I love any game that polarizes people like this.

I'm interested in the game, but admittedly largely because I have 5 (soon to be 6) and 7 year old boys. I think they will like it, including the row row row your boat songs, so that will make it worth it to me. Then if it proves to be fun for me to, even if only for a little while, I'll be pretty happy with the purchase. If nothing else, I don't see how the game can disappoint - if it's absolutely terrible it will have met most people's expectations, so anything better then that will be a win. ;^)

The only disappointment I have is there is no form of sharing your videos other than with people on your Wii friend list.

I tried the drum set mode, using the balance board, and it was pretty cool.

[quote name='wii skiier']I love any game that polarizes people like this.[/QUOTE]
That's a great reason to love a game that is, even according to its own fans, a half-assed effort for $50.

For a throwaway, play-with-the-kids experience, I'm gonna stick with cow racing in Wii Play using that pack-in controller.

I'm still not sold on this game.
Wii Sports was simple and awesome.. came with the system so we really didn't have a say in the matter. :lol:
Wii Play is the game that SHOULD have been included with the Wii, since it's just a game that utilizes the remote in different ways..but the incentive is that it comes with a controller.
Wii Fit is def much more interactive and really are investing more into the balance board than anything.

What is Wii Music doing? Nothing

[quote name='lilboo']
What is Wii Music doing? Nothing[/quote]
Musicking!
I don't know. I'm waiting for mine still. So far I think only one person in the thread has it, and their impressions are mostly positive. I'm much more forgiving about these things than most others here, but even I don't expect it to be life-changing. The fact is, I enjoy messing with the tone, rhythm and tempo on my kid's three-key piano that has four songs, so I suspect I will like this since from all descriptions it's basically the same thing.

Yeah, I can see how this can be fun in a different way. I never thought of this as a music game like Guitar Hero or Rock Band. But, still.

It's the first Wii ___ game to come out with nothing else. This is why this game should be cheap, OR should have incorporated SOMETHING with it. I mean, hell, have a Wii Music channel to do things with.

I have no interest in getting Wii Music (okay, maybe if it was on a bargain-bin sale), but I applaud Nintendo for pushing the boundaries of video gaming into new areas. Only by going outside our existing categories of what constitutes a video game can this hobby grow into a mainstream media.

(And yes, I have same feelings for "non-game" stuff like Wii Fit, My Spanish Coach, and the Brain games)

--R.J.

I'm still thinking of ordering this, but I agree this should've been priced $40 I don't mind paying $50 if I could make my own music too and this game has 50 songs some of them I like, but I'd like more zelda songs, a few kirby songs and other nintendo brand songs would've been nice..

I am not sure if this is a feature for this game, but I hope they plan to do song packs on the wii shop so I can buy more songs later on if not ah well more songs woul've been nice. =\

I was excited for this game when they first showed wii music I'm sure it'll be fun to play, but I would've liked more Nintendo music for it.

I can't find this game worth buying. I'm not in the targeted demographics. Second, I can't find myself treating this as a musical game. And next, I keep thinking of Fallout 3. :roll:

I can see my cousins who have regular music classes in grade school to be begging for this however I am definitely not the target demographic. Not that this is a bad game or anything there are just better ways to spend 50$. Your not really getting a lot for your money here. I am also not musically inclined and I never had the proper music instruction that today's kids have in school. I would akin this to the Brain Age and Big Brain Academy games as if Nintendo was charging 50$ for one of those, Wii Music should be 19.99 like Brain Age.

Meh, I traveled to Nintendo World in NYC last week and played a bit with my wife (who hates vidgames) and we both agreed that this game blew after going through a few songs with different instruments. I can't see myself spending $50 it, perhaps $20 if I was desperate for something to do, but with so many games coming out this holiday season, this gets lost in the mix.

Saying this game "sucks" (or "blows") is like saying the Spice Girls suck, or that broccoli is terrible. Those are just opinions of people who don't like that particular thing. They are, however, good for what they are to people that like them.

Just because you do not like a game doesn't make it a bad game. For example, Halo was one of the most boring games I have ever played, but I recognized that it was a good game and saw why people could enjoy it. Vice City also bored me to death, but it spawned a huge following and I recognize the unique gameplay it brought to videogaming.

That said, I can immediately see how people could be bored with Wii Music. I find it entertaining and I think I can see what the designers were trying to present. It isn't a rhythm game. It isn't a game you "win". It's along the lines of something like Mario Paint.

It does feel a little overpriced for what you get, but then these are the days where people pay $60 for PS3 games that literally have one day's worth of gameplay.

[quote name='Zing']Saying this game "sucks" (or "blows") is like saying the Spice Girls suck, or that broccoli is terrible. Those are just opinions of people who don't like that particular thing. They are, however, good for what they are to people that like them.

Just because you do not like a game doesn't make it a bad game. For example, Halo was one of the most boring games I have ever played, but I recognized that it was a good game and saw why people could enjoy it. Vice City also bored me to death, but it spawned a huge following and I recognize the unique gameplay it brought to videogaming.

That said, I can immediately see how people could be bored with Wii Music. I find it entertaining and I think I can see what the designers were trying to present. It isn't a rhythm game. It isn't a game you "win". It's along the lines of something like Mario Paint.

It does feel a little overpriced for what you get, but then these are the days where people pay $60 for PS3 games that literally have one day's worth of gameplay.[/QUOTE]

But I'm looking at this game objectively as a musician and a gamer, and I fail to see what the game really has to offer. I don't like Halo or some of the more recent Final Fantasies, but I'm willing to admit that at least those games offer something of value. I rarely put down games before I play them, so this is certainly a rare event for me.

WiiMusic could have had plenty of potential, but was dumbed down to the lowest common denominator. The song selection is ridiculously poor, the sound samples are notoriously bad, and there appears to be little control over the instruments beyond rhythm. The drum set training could be a plus towards WiiMusic, but I feel in this instance the lack of tactile feedback really hurts that aspect of the game.

Where's the creativity? Sure, you can "remix" songs from the tracklist with the set instruments, but the creative freedom is limited beyond the rhythm of the notes and the instrumental selection. Why not allow more creative freedom beyond that? Let users create their own songs? More tracks? More freedom in which notes are played?

The game did have great potential, but I feel that with Nintendo's limiting of creativity among other things is what hurts this game the most.

bread's done
Back