Wii Music- Gen. Discussion & Info: Out Now!

[quote name='BlueLobstah']

WiiMusic could have had plenty of potential, but was dumbed down to the lowest common denominator. The song selection is ridiculously poor, the sound samples are notoriously bad, and there appears to be little control over the instruments beyond rhythm. The drum set training could be a plus towards WiiMusic, but I feel in this instance the lack of tactile feedback really hurts that aspect of the game.

Where's the creativity? Sure, you can "remix" songs from the tracklist with the set instruments, but the creative freedom is limited beyond the rhythm of the notes and the instrumental selection. Why not allow more creative freedom beyond that? Let users create their own songs? More tracks? More freedom in which notes are played?

The game did have great potential, but I feel that with Nintendo's limiting of creativity among other things is what hurts this game the most.[/quote]

I agree 100% here. I mean even forgetting the horrible sound quality and tracklist, this game I don't see the point in. Ok sure it has the one freestyle like mode, great. I do like this idea somewhat. As a gamer though I want more. If they kinda made it like Guitar Hero or Rock Band with different note orders you have to do for each instrument of each song then I may see value here. To me Wii Music looks like lets just waggle and press buttons when I feel like it so we can fuck up the mario bros theme. Ok a whole game based on that is horrible, and the only people I can see enjoying this is 3 and 80 year olds, lol.

If they had a mode where I could make my own songs with friends, and share them online, hey that would be cool, or any type of scoring/points based on accuracy, good.

Yes I understand it has drum lessons which is kinda nice but not having physical pads to hit scares me. Also the Wiimote is not drum sticks so there might be differences in transition imo.

I just don't see the point of this game when I can buy a actual keyboard with usb interface so I can create my own songs. Sure it may be more work but in the end it is my own song, not just a fucked up Nintendo one.

Here's my two cents, I can see the hatred is in full force. Yeah, I WAY undershot on Wii Music, I thought it would be stupid fun to goof around with with friends, but it's total hot shit.

...The level of hatred levied by the internet gaming community against Wii Music was pretty vitrolic after E3. I won't call it unprecedented, because the legions of organized basement-dwellers have had Nintendo's blue ocean projects in their sights before and we've seen similar hatorade showers on Wii Fit, Wii Play, Wii Sports, Brain Age, Nintendogs, and so on. In the middle of one of these dust-ups yesterday I came across this link to an "Iwata asks" column with a few of the developers of Wii Music, which I highly recommend you read. It does a very good job of spelling out just what makes Wii Music different, and what makes it great.

Wii Music Director Kozomi Tataka: When I play music in my free time, the enjoyment lies in letting myself go. But I didn't feel like that was happening when I was so intent on following a score. The same thing happens even when I play a real musical instrument. If I cling to the score, I don't feel that sense of liberation. Getting the general gist of the score and then letting yourself go while playing is significantly more enjoyable.

This statement is the key realization that unlocks the value of Wii Music. The draw to making music for me has never been about self-accomplishment but rather self-expression. When musical forms become too rigid is when I get turned off. What EAD has accomplished with Wii Music is a musical experience which allows for that self-expression with a bare minimum of concrete developed skills required to do so. This gets to some of the best things that video games can provide, and when looked at this way it's not all that different from a game that provides you the heart-racing dramatic excitement of a fistfight without decades of karate training...

In many ways, this is the most hardcore music game ever made. It's way more than just "waggle randomly and make music." I'm a music guy so this is like manna to me. One of the coolest things it's got is an expansive tutorial system that teaches you styles of music, and a lot of musical concepts. There's a lot of method to this madness. I don't think you need musical training to appreciate this fully, but you will need a mind with some music inside it. I think most of us have that, though, right? To the guy who's asking for scoring...holy missing the point completely, Batman.

I'd love to be able to try the game out quite honestly, but that $50 price tag just doesn't suit me. Maybe it's because I look at it like Wii Sports, if Wii sports was sold as a separate game (like it is in Japan) at $50 dollars, how many of us would still own copies?

I realize that it's somewhat unfair to judge a game like Wii Music based on a pack-in like Wii Sports, but it sounds like a lot of the gripes people are having with Wii Music are the same between both games, namely being simple and lacking real "meat" to the game. A difference that is much harder to swallow after putting down 50 bucks.

It's just sad because I know so many of us would still like to give the game a shot, but at a much more reasonable $20-$30 range. Considering this is an official Nintendo game, I can't see this dropping in price any time if at all in the future, outside of a holiday sale or something.

[quote name='DarkSageRK']Perhaps you haven't realized it yet, but videogames ARE mainstream already.[/QUOTE]
Stop hiding in your mom's basement and meet some real people sometime. The percentage of the populace who play games is far, far smaller than the percentage who listen to music, read books, and watches movies and TV.

[quote name='KamiNoYadoru']In many ways, this is the most hardcore music game ever made. It's way more than just "waggle randomly and make music." I'm a music guy so this is like manna to me.[/quote]
You might find these impressions worth reading, then:
So at this point Wii Music is pretty much my Game of the Generation, and I haven't even unlocked most of the (few) good songs. Nor have I played any mulitplayer. It's funny, Miyamoto hinted that musicians would hate it, but I'm a professional musician and I absolutely love it. It's like they took a MIDI sequencing program and boiled it down to its most basic ingredients. I've done quite a bit of MIDI work on Digital Performer and Pro Tools, but I always end up getting burnt out in rather short order. I tend to be too much of a perfectionist and in trying to clean up every aspect of my (or others') performance I take the soul right out of it. Not to mention it takes forever.

What's so awesome about Wii Music is that it forces you to do everything in performance and not in post. At first I lamented the fact that I couldn't go into each track and fix the little issues, but now I find it incredibly liberating as I don't get so bogged down in the minutia. It handles so much for you, yet still leaves lots of room to get what you want.

--R.J.

[quote name='rjung']Stop hiding in your mom's basement and meet some real people sometime. The percentage of the populace who play games is far, far smaller than the percentage who listen to music, read books, and watches movies and TV.[/quote]

INTERNET RAGE

oh, btw ur wrong

[quote name='DarkSageRK']INTERNET RAGE

oh, btw ur wrong[/QUOTE]

Not that I really think this argument is worth getting into, but that link is only talking about children. It does note that almost 30% of parents play some portion of time with their kids, but says also that this is almost entirely under-40 age adults.

That's not representative of the populace at large.

For the record, games are more mainstream than they were ten, five, or even one year ago. I'm not personally so sure they have equal footing as music or movies, and let's not bring up sales results to bolster that line of thinking because it doesn't really prove much.

Again - I don't really think this argument is worth getting into. I'm just sayin'.

Nintendo's not going to drop the price because it's going to sell like hotcakes, at least for the first month or so. I bet the used market will be flooded though come Christmas.

[quote name='Lone_Prodigy']Nintendo's not going to drop the price because it's going to sell like hotcakes, at least for the first month or so. I bet the used market will be flooded though come Christmas.[/quote]

I'll probably sell it back, but I should first find some mom willing to pay $45 for it on Craigslist or something.

It's neat and all, but it doesn't hold my attention. I'll admit that designing a CD album, recording video and trying instruments were fun. Not sure I like recording over a midi-like track with new instruments. Fun for children, but not me.

Well ok maybe my opinion doesn't count too much being 25 yrs old, but my nieces and nephews (ages 8 - 12) opted for Rock Band after 5 Wii Music songs.

Asian stocks are down for the 3rd week. Sony is down 14% in projected sales. Somehow I doubt people will be buying up this game like I initially assumed considering how tight money is becoming. Sure this would have been a 'splurge' item as little as a year ago and nobody would think twice about spending money on it but there are far better games to buy a kid this holiday season.

I suspect the only parents who will buy this are the ones who buy tons of other worthless educational software thinking it will turn their kid into the next Ponchielli.

[quote name='Casiotech']I suspect the only parents who will buy this are the ones who buy tons of other worthless educational software thinking it will turn their kid into the next Ponchielli.[/QUOTE]
Leave C.H.I.P.S. out of this.
Ponch-CHiPs-homo-insulting-picture-abusive-photo.JPG

just got an amazon email as I suspect most of you have. $20 off your next purchase if you purchase wiimusic.

So I guess it's not selling like 'hotcakes'!

The last time they did something like that for AAA nintendo titles that I can remember was the SSBB deal for $25 but the game was at least 6 months old by then. I remember amazon deals like that killed the value of that game because the ebay prices for SSBB went from $37-43 to $23-30 within a week.

[quote name='Strell']For the record, games are more mainstream than they were ten, five, or even one year ago. I'm not personally so sure they have equal footing as music or movies[/QUOTE]
And the only way to get video games to that point is to expand the boundaries of what video games can do. If people still think of video games as nothing more than solitary activities involving either jumping on platforms or shooting everything in sight, then we'll continue to be viewed as a niche activity.

Even if you don't care to play them, stuff like Wii Music, Wii Fit, Brain Age, and My Word Coach should be embraced by gamers for helping to change the public's perception of video gaming for the better.

--R.J.

[quote name='rjung']
Even if you don't care to play them, stuff like Wii Music, Wii Fit, Brain Age, and My Word Coach should be embraced by gamers for helping to change the public's perception of video gaming for the better.
[/QUOTE]

Preachin' to the choir, dood. Trust me. I actually like the majority of those titles.

I think another part toward getting it more mainstream is to wait for the older generation to grow old and go away, honestly. Then we can't have pundits and other idiots walking around talking about how games are complete evil and will drive everyone into fits of murder.

[quote name='Strell']
I think another part toward getting it more mainstream is to wait for the older generation to grow old and go away, honestly. Then we can't have pundits and other idiots walking around talking about how games are complete evil and will drive everyone into fits of murder.[/quote]
Hey, if it works for science, it'll work for Nintendo.

[quote name='rjung']And the only way to get video games to that point is to expand the boundaries of what video games can do. If people still think of video games as nothing more than solitary activities involving either jumping on platforms or shooting everything in sight, then we'll continue to be viewed as a niche activity.

--R.J.[/quote]While I do agree with your statement, but getting the mainstream in anything most of the time fucks it up. TV Stations, Music Artists, etc... So while change is good on some points, I do fear that getting the mainstream in the gaming market might change some of the more hardcore games for the worst in hoping to get more sales.

[quote name='Casiotech']just got an amazon email as I suspect most of you have. $20 off your next purchase if you purchase wiimusic.

So I guess it's not selling like 'hotcakes'!

The last time they did something like that for AAA nintendo titles that I can remember was the SSBB deal for $25 but the game was at least 6 months old by then. I remember amazon deals like that killed the value of that game because the ebay prices for SSBB went from $37-43 to $23-30 within a week.[/QUOTE]

I guess you could frame it like that, but I don't think this is the case. When Super Mario Galaxy came out, TRU offered a $25 gift card with purchase (OMG SMG must SUCK) and actually BB went ahead and matched the offer, which is out of the ordinary because they usually only match specific prices, not deals normally.

These sort of deals they tack on to sure-fire sellers to ensure future sales. [Butters]"Oh, I have a $20 GC at Amazon anyway. That makes that PS3 game $40 and that's not a bad deal."[/Butters]

Also, they've had that promotion for a while now, so it's not quite as 'reactionary' as you frame it.

The $20 off coupon makes it almost interesting.
I think I will get this game with a good 25% + 10% off used at gamestop eventually.

So, what's the next Wii ____ game? :lol:

[quote name='lilboo']The $20 off coupon makes it almost interesting.
I think I will get this game with a good 25% + 10% off used at gamestop eventually.

So, what's the next Wii ____ game? :lol:[/QUOTE]

The Brits have had Wii Chess since January: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii_Chess

After that, it's Sports Resort. I'm not sure that anything else is known at this point.

[quote name='lilboo']Wii Chess?!
See.
I'd imagine full price too?! $50 = Chess?!

And yeah! Sports Resorts looks pretty win :cool:[/QUOTE]

I had to check it out, so I went to Amazon UK. £19.99. So, about $30. Seeing as how it was released as WW in Japan, I imagine we'll see it for 1000-1500 points. Sounds like they got hosed.

More importantly! In the UK, they say 'dispatch' instead of 'ship'. Amazon UK is so quaint.

Promotional offers at the release of a product almost don't mean shit when it comes to whether or not a company is worried it'll sell or not. Wasn't there a time you could get CoD3 for free when you bought CoD4? And we all know how much that game sucked.

Gamers are just so ready to pounce on this not selling as well as other games in the series that they'll take any crumb that falls off the table.

[quote name='rjung']

--R.J.[/quote]

Actually, I don't know about this.

I think there is already a division in people's heads as to what's a game and what's educational. None of the above really bridge that gap -- the closest might actually be My Word Coach, which is pretty balanced between being a game and a learning activity -- as opposed to a learning activity that involves games (which is where I'd classify Brain Age, except you don't really learn anything in Brain Age).

There is also what I'd call the trivializing effect. Most of the products you listed are fun and being able to do them on a videogame machine is an unexpected bonus. But they also are not very serious or seriously good at what they're supposed to be doing.

(I'm not trying to say they are not quality products -- they are certainly well made. But Brain Age won't make you smart, Wii Fit won't make you fit, and Wii Music...well, I don't know exactly what it's supposed to do. But it probably won't make you a musician. And no, I didn't think Wii Sports would make you into an athlete, but it at least knew it was a game.)

The danger is that these are all the Nintendo equivalents of Sharper Image gadgets -- expensive toys that do something sort of useful, but are mostly flash and hardly practical. They will not do work for you, despite promises to the contrary. And, like most novelties, will quickly grow tiresome and be replaced by something flashier and trendier.

While some goodwill towards gaming is better than none, I'm not sure how games that are constrained, overrated, and overpriced toys are going to do much of anything for gaming in the long run. They might lead to more dismissal of videogames, not less.

[quote name='rjung']And the only way to get video games to that point is to expand the boundaries of what video games can do. If people still think of video games as nothing more than solitary activities involving either jumping on platforms or shooting everything in sight, then we'll continue to be viewed as a niche activity.
[/quote]

They won't get on equal footing in some senses. Culturally, even movies are still perceived as "lower" than books. The newer medium is always the runt. Economically, however, games have surpassed books and movies. They can create their own phenomena that resonate in mainstream culture--arcades when SFII was out, halo/smash/mario kart at colleges, Wii for everyone etc. I think people tend to views these phenomena as "okay," whereas WoW or obscure JRPGs are a super nerd's kind of game, though WoW has a decent amount of mainstream acceptance. So there really aren't as many blanket statements about games being niche as there were in the past, but I don't think anyone will ever say "so...what's on Xbox Live tonight?" If they do, they should be shot.

--R.J.

Hell no. Though the medium is big enough for whatever anyone wants to create, I would rather not have the public see those games as iconic of gaming. Would really sell the potential experiences of gaming short. This is like using educational documentaries made for elementary schools to bolster cinema as an accepted art form.

and, on topic, that's why I can hate Wii Fit and Music without playing them :lol:

[quote name='ninja dog'] Though the medium is big enough for whatever anyone wants to create, I would rather not have the public see those games as iconic of gaming. [/QUOTE]

Oh for god's sake.

So what's the alternative then? The smelly D&D fat gamer nerd with pit-stained shirts and cheeto breath?

I don't know what in the hell gamers are on these days, but it's clearly some good shit to believe that they could win over the mainstream with anything they love so much.

It's really simple, everyone. Don't like it, don't get it. Want to be a dick about it? I'll even meet you halfway. But for fuck's sake, to act like we're going to magically have a good image is just hilarious.

The last time games were this mainstream was probably in the Pacman days. Now if you guys want to throw on some bellbottoms and hang out at the local pizza joint, be my guest. But let's not lie to ourselves that the gaming image can't accommodate two wholly separate interpretations - the person playing Wii____, and everyone else. Especially since that's the damn truth of the matter right now.

Remember - they couldn't give a fuck less about us. That's why people make things like "Gamer Grub" or whatever the hell that bullshit was. You've already lost the battle and the war, and now you're just trying to start a new one against a fresh new army.

[quote name='Strell']Oh for god's sake.

So what's the alternative then? The smelly D&D fat gamer nerd with pit-stained shirts and cheeto breath?

I don't know what in the hell gamers are on these days, but it's clearly some good shit to believe that they could win over the mainstream with anything they love so much.

It's really simple, everyone. Don't like it, don't get it. Want to be a dick about it? I'll even meet you halfway. But for fuck's sake, to act like we're going to magically have a good image is just hilarious.

The last time games were this mainstream was probably in the Pacman days. Now if you guys want to throw on some bellbottoms and hang out at the local pizza joint, be my guest. But let's not lie to ourselves that the gaming image can't accommodate two wholly separate interpretations - the person playing Wii____, and everyone else. Especially since that's the damn truth of the matter right now.

Remember - they couldn't give a fuck less about us. That's why people make things like "Gamer Grub" or whatever the hell that bullshit was. You've already lost the battle and the war, and now you're just trying to start a new one against a fresh new army.[/quote]

oh strell, no need to get salty. I'm not trying to troll your game and I think openly admitting that I won't even give it a chance is better than the blind trolling most people do. I take issue with just about everything you wrote in that post, aside from when you said that gaming is big enough to host any kind of game. Which is exactly what I said in my post before that. Anyway, most importantly, no, I don't want people to see gaming as all fat D+D nerds either. I'd rather it be seen like music, books, or movies, where it's understood that the medium can be used for all different kinds of purposes and expressions. That's my ideal and it's happening.

I don't think you should have such a defeatist attitude. Movies got their start by borrowing from trashy novels, comic books are now known as "graphic novels," and there are plenty of enterprising indie game makers and boundary pushers keeping people into gaming past adulthood. "Gamer grub" is some atavistic marketing bullshit made by people who don't give a fuck about doing their jobs...it's not indicative of anything.

[quote name='ninja dog']
I don't think you should have such a defeatist attitude. Movies got their start by borrowing from trashy novels, comic books are now known as "graphic novels," and there are plenty of enterprising indie game makers and boundary pushers keeping people into gaming past adulthood. "Gamer grub" is some atavistic marketing bullshit made by people who don't give a fuck about doing their jobs...it's not indicative of anything.[/quote]

it's the same thing! graphic novel is a comic book and vice versa. i believe people use that term just to look more adultish. you'll see a kid read watchman or death and return of superman and when an adult asks what he's reading, he'll imply comic book. compare that to an adult, they'll say graphic novel. if an adult says he's reading a comic book, it makes him look childish. but if he says graphic novel, then he looks more sophisticated.

garbage worker is the same as saying sanitation employee.

sales man is the same as saying sales associate.

[quote name='Strell'] That's why people make things like "Gamer Grub" or whatever the hell that bullshit was.[/QUOTE]
Holy shit, I had no idea.

And once again Strell reveals himself as an old fuddy duddy, a real stick-in-the-mud. You've got to be pretty much dead to the world to resist ACTION PIZZA.

Don't believe me? Then take your bullshit to the GRUBSPHERE. In the grubsphere posers like you can't step to the xtreme fortified snack food.

Got my copy today. Played around with my brother and sister. It's definitely fun to play around with. I have no ear for bass and chorus and all that. There are optional on-screen notes that really help me through that. Pretty neat to dissect a song, as it were, for an idiot music layman like myself. I try to play the melody no matter what piece I'm supposed to be playing, so this helps.

The teacher character is hilarious and looks like a Muppet. Good stuff.

Some of the reviews bemoan the public domain songs, which I understand to a degree, but I think many of these public domain songs serve this game best. I'd much rather "jam" to some classical piece than to the latest pop single. Again, it'd be better to have the option, but I can understand the decision here.

The minigames are fun. They should have had more than five songs for the Conductor game. The Pitch Test feels like a leftover from Big Brain Academy, which I enjoy, so that's good.

I haven't tried the drum function yet.

All in all, a fun game and well worth the $30 it comes out to with the $20 gift card at Amazon.

[quote name='Lone_Prodigy']Would you enjoy the game more if you were say tone-deaf than if you had a Ph.D in music?[/QUOTE]

Well, I think it depends. If you're tone deaf and you want to "learn", which is sort of the camp I'm in, then yes, I'm having tons of fun. If you're tone deaf and you want to play Guitar Hero, then the game will suck because you suck.

The game asks that you put your own interpretation on compositions. What pleased me about the JC Rodrigo video and with my hands-on experience now is that the game doesn't hold your hand. If you play percussion and waggle your arms like a moron, you will sound like a moron. The drumming will be erratic and you'll have to learn some rudimentary rhythm, something I have a tough time keeping. At the same time, it allows for improvisation. You don't have to keep perfect time. You can go Keith Moon if you want to. Basically, if it sounds good then it is good.

I think this is a good tool. Admittedly, I think it skews a bit younger than other Wii____ games, but it suits a need similar to Wii Fit for me. Wii Fit works for me, and other people, because I have an interest in being healthier, but I'm not going to get a gym membership or go jogging etc. All of those arguments that've been hashed over in Fit threads sort of apply to Wii Music as well. I like music, but I don't have the time/money/patience/whatever to take music lessons or buy an instrument. Wii Music lets me explore my interest without being a commitment.

[quote name='pochaccoheaven']it's the same thing! graphic novel is a comic book and vice versa. i believe people use that term just to look more adultish. you'll see a kid read watchman or death and return of superman and when an adult asks what he's reading, he'll imply comic book. compare that to an adult, they'll say graphic novel. if an adult says he's reading a comic book, it makes him look childish. but if he says graphic novel, then he looks more sophisticated.

garbage worker is the same as saying sanitation employee.

sales man is the same as saying sales associate.[/quote]

yeah, i know...i was making a point about how comics became more mainstream and now they're "graphic novels" to the older crowd who enjoy them.

[quote name='theflicker']
Some of the reviews bemoan the public domain songs, which I understand to a degree, but I think many of these public domain songs serve this game best. I'd much rather "jam" to some classical piece than to the latest pop single. Again, it'd be better to have the option, but I can understand the decision here.
All in all, a fun game and well worth the $30 it comes out to with the $20 gift card at Amazon.[/quote]

Finally got my copy yesterday and I couldn't be happier. It's exactly what I hoped for in that it is a tool/toy rather than a "game". I am glad you brought up the point about the public domain songs, and I'm satisfied that Ode To Joy is in there (I spent an hour trying to duplicate the score to A Clockwork Orange). The inclusion of those songs make the game feel much more timeless than something like the American Elite Beat Agents (or any other music game really) that has some crappy Avril Lavigne song that I don't know.
Yes, definitely worth the $30 to me.

[quote name='wii skiier']I'm satisfied that Ode To Joy is in there (I spent an hour trying to duplicate the score to A Clockwork Orange).[/QUOTE]

Heh, I gotta try that later. I was disappointed that not all of the songs are available in all of the modes. In this case, "Ode to Joy" can be conducted, but not jammed to. Similarly, how hard would it have been to let us conduct "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star"?

[quote name='theflicker']Heh, I gotta try that later. I was disappointed that not all of the songs are available in all of the modes. In this case, "Ode to Joy" can be conducted, but not jammed to. Similarly, how hard would it have been to let us conduct "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star"?[/quote]
Go through the lessons and jams a little more - after a couple hours and one full lesson I have four times as many songs available in Jam mode (including Ode To Joy) and a ton of new instruments and styles.

[quote name='wii skiier']Go through the lessons and jams a little more - after a couple hours and one full lesson I have four times as many songs available in Jam mode (including Ode To Joy) and a ton of new instruments and styles.[/QUOTE]

That's good to know. I made about 4 videos, but haven't taken any Lessons yet.

[quote name='ninja dog']yeah, i know...i was making a point about how comics became more mainstream and now they're "graphic novels" to the older crowd who enjoy them.[/QUOTE]
Which is a bad example to pick, because the (American) comic book industry is in seriously bad shape right now -- go to any comic-book shop and ask the owner how's business been.

A large part of this suffering is because the publishers have been catering to the niche audience of 12-24 males with complicated superhero storylines, while ignoring everyone else. So not only have they alienated new readers (how many titles can you give to a seven-year-old?), they also left a wide-open market for a competitor to take with non-traditional non-superhero fare. Why do you think your local bookstore now devotes so much shelf space to translated manga?

And before you ask, superhero movies are not a sign of success for the comic-book industry -- if anything, they're a sign of desperation from the publishers, who realize their core reader audience is evaporating and are now diversifying by branching out into broader markets.

And astute readers who see comic books:manga::hardcore gaming:Wii deserve a gold star. ;)

--R.J.

[quote name='rjung']Which is a bad example to pick, because the (American) comic book industry is in seriously bad shape right now -- go to any comic-book shop and ask the owner how's business been.

A large part of this suffering is because the publishers have been catering to the niche audience of 12-24 males with complicated superhero storylines, while ignoring everyone else. So not only have they alienated new readers (how many titles can you give to a seven-year-old?), they also left a wide-open market for a competitor to take with non-traditional non-superhero fare. Why do you think your local bookstore now devotes so much shelf space to translated manga?

And before you ask, superhero movies are not a sign of success for the comic-book industry -- if anything, they're a sign of desperation from the publishers, who realize their core reader audience is evaporating and are now diversifying by branching out into broader markets.

And astute readers who see comic books:manga::hardcore gaming:Wii deserve a gold star. ;)

--R.J.[/quote]

interesting. at least in terms of cultural recognition, both comic books and manga have broken out considerably since I was a kid (excluding all that R.Crumb stuff in the 60s and 70s.) Still, there's more mainstream and cultural acceptance of the art form, even if it isn't translating to sales. I don't know what kind of mainstream acceptance you guys want for games though.

[quote name='ninja dog']yeah, i know...i was making a point about how comics became more mainstream and now they're "graphic novels" to the older crowd who enjoy them.[/quote]

comic books became mainstream because they have been made into movies. i am legend was announced for theaters and everyone rushed to read the book to compare and get a hint as to what they are to expect when they watch the film.

[quote name='typeRJ']
...but my nieces and nephews (ages 8 - 12) opted for Rock Band after 5 Wii Music songs.[/quote]

My 7 year old opted to read a book after 20 minutes or so...$50 well spent:roll: (at least it was BBV credit)

I actually believe this is not a game for young kids. At least, not one that will have any longevity. For goofing around one afternoon, sure. I feel it requires a certain level of music comprehension that young children won't have or appreciate.

bread's done
Back