Wii Music- Gen. Discussion & Info: Out Now!

[quote name='Zing']I actually believe this is not a game for young kids. At least, not one that will have any longevity. For goofing around one afternoon, sure. I feel it requires a certain level of music comprehension that young children won't have or appreciate.[/quote]
I would agree with this. Our five-year-old only wants to jump around in an animal suit, and after putting some more time in with this it can be really difficult to make something that sounds really good. I can see the point of whoever said this was more of a music game (or whatever) than Guitar Hero.

[quote name='ninja dog']interesting. at least in terms of cultural recognition, both comic books and manga have broken out considerably since I was a kid (excluding all that R.Crumb stuff in the 60s and 70s.) Still, there's more mainstream and cultural acceptance of the art form, even if it isn't translating to sales. I don't know what kind of mainstream acceptance you guys want for games though.[/quote]

mangas became popular because people were able to spread them using the internet. you have anime shows and comics that gets translated by fans and those who are interested could get them using the internet. this was something that couldn't be done back then. imagine that i wanted to send you my interpretation of an anime during the past, i would have to either mail you the materials or give you a call or video conferenceing. the most logical part would be to mail you the package. but with today, you have the internet which you can make public and spread it like wild fire in a dry forest.

The more I play it, the more I enjoy it. I really wish I had more friends around to come join me. I literally have one neighbor and that's it. It's still fun to make videos where I play various parts, but I can see how it would be more fun with different people playing the different parts.

Today I had fun making a few videos where I cut out half or more of the parts and just went solo or combos like piano/maracas.

I got my wii music from Amazon today so far the game is pretty fun I enjoyed the handbell game wish it had more songs, but still fun, the conductor is nice same complaint for handbell game wish it atleast had more classical songs, but other than that and needing more Nintendo songs I really enjoy this the pitch perfect part is fun so far and doing the songs on jams are pretty nice so far and once I get done with the pitch perfect part I plan to move onto the playing the songs more, but so far it's been fun I'm glad I got it and getting $20 off next video game purchase is a plus.

[quote name='EXStrike']sometime after the 31st, I think.

Anyone want to trade Wii Friend codes?[/QUOTE]

This game uses the system code, right? Like MP3?

So, I have this game sealed. I know everyone was initially turned off from the game by Matt on IGN. But since then I see people saying they like the game here and there. So before I open mine, what does it have to offer and why is Matt wrong?

[quote name='MorPhiend']So, I have this game sealed. I know everyone was initially turned off from the game by Matt on IGN. But since then I see people saying they like the game here and there. So before I open mine, what does it have to offer and why is Matt wrong?[/QUOTE]
You have to actually practice to get good at it.
There is no score, just the enjoyment of making and rearranging music.
There's 50 songs, but no DLC.

If you're expecting a Guitar Hero wanna-be, return it now.
If you want to kick back and goof around because you like the idea of kicking back and goofing around, give it a go.

--R.J.

[quote name='rjung']You have to actually practice to get good at it.
There is no score, just the enjoyment of making and rearranging music.
There's 50 songs, but no DLC.

If you're expecting a Guitar Hero wanna-be, return it now.
If you want to kick back and goof around because you like the idea of kicking back and goofing around, give it a go.
[/quote]
Seconded. There is no "easy" level to this "game". It's either aimless goofing around or insane attention to detail. My children love it for the dog suit, I love it for the endless tweaking you can do to jams.

[quote name='maximumzero']Just ordered Wii Music from Amazon so I can get my $20 coupon to use on Animal Crossing, so it's a win-win.

When can I expect that, BTW?[/quote]

10 days after the expiration of the offer which is the 31st of October so I guess November 10 is when they send them out.

I like how they give a little information on the song and where it came from etc. so far I'm enjoying it can't wait to try the drum part once I get a wii fit.

I gave the game a shot last night. I'm more inclined to go with what the IGN review said. The game feels too waggly. The Music Maestro didn't work well. I waved my hand like a baton but that wasn't enough movement because my symphony would stop and stare at me. Drums were absolutely unintuitive. I think that's something that could be improved with Wii Motion Plus and not reliant on using buttons to change drums. I didn't unlock songs, but I read how to on GameFAQs and I'm not looking forward to it. I wasn't have much fun with it. If you want to make meaningful songs, you have to stay in rhythm and time it well, but I feel like the Wii Remote is either too sensitive or not sensitive enough at times because I missed notes often and ruined my masterpiece. I didn't feel like the instruments worked out so well. I would have preferred a Mario Paint-style music game. Maybe I need to spend more time to master it, but this is definitely a "game" for when you just want to goof off. The only two things I liked about the game were the Tutes and the facts about the song before you play.

I suppose it's excusable because of the lack of third-party support and Nintendo's huge releases in the first year of the Wii's release, but there has not been any good blockbuster Wii-exclusive titles this holiday season. That is a huge let down. I hope there's stil enough hardcore gamers hanging on to their Wii's so that Nintendo will see that it needs to give us our Mario's and Zelda's. I'll be sticking to my 360 for the winter break.

$50 for a tech demo that hasn't exactly changed since E3 '06. That's really how I see it.

No consequences for not playing properly, no actual variation in playing the game (one can literally dangle the remote and nunchuck on their wrist, shake it, and still be counted by the game as playing it), terrible lack of notable music (Donkey Konga had more recognizable tracks), and sound quality that comes close to sounding like that of Mario Paint's sounds.

I'm still rather baffled by how Nintendo can fully push this as a full game (or toy, as Miyamoto puts it) when it's clearly not changed from what we've seen since its appearances at E3. Yeah, we finally did get key titles announced after E3, but it's...offending to know that the company is clearly just releasing this to the same crowd of people are easily impressed at waggling a control while putting less focus on games that actually matter.

Games can be simplistic, fun, and appeal to various ages. Look at the Super Mario Bros. series. That had all of that. You were rewarded for playing all the way through. You lost lives and got Game Overs for sucking and not playing right.

But does this "game" have any of that? No. If anything, this feels more like it should have been packaged with the system as a free title. Sorta like an alternative. Don't want Wii Sports? Get Wii Music instead. Y'know? $50 is just waaay too much for what boils down to a tech demo/noise maker that doesn't even feel like a game at all.

[quote name='Tsukento']No consequences for not playing properly, no actual variation in playing the game (one can literally dangle the remote and nunchuck on their wrist, shake it, and still be counted by the game as playing it), terrible lack of notable music (Donkey Konga had more recognizable tracks), and sound quality that comes close to sounding like that of Mario Paint's sounds.[/QUOTE]

Well, there are consequences for not playing properly. The consequence being that you don't sound as good. This game is clearly coming from a philosophy some might feel is antithetical to games as they understand them.

The most important way being that it tasks you, the gamer with evaluating yourself. If you want the game to rap you on the knuckles every time you screw up, then play Guitar Hero. This game invites and encourages free expression. I understand that as far as the "game as tool" argument goes, perhaps it would have been helpful if the software provided a more critical ear. However, I'm not sure this is necessary. I think we are often our own harshest critics and it doesn't really take a PhD to decide if you like what you hear or not.

Music is art (duh), so try to apply these criticisms to the aforementioned Mario Paint or any similar user-input software. If I go into Smash Bros. Brawl and create a stage with a bunch of springs and spike ceilings, this will (OMG) still count as building a level. Does it suck? YES. Whose fault is it? Mine. This is a case where you hate the player, not the game.

Just got this in the mail. Sat down with it and 2 hours flew by. Not sure if its worth full price yet, but so far I've been having a blast. I really disliked this game when it was revealed at E3, but here I am having fun remixing Do Re Mi.

I only played it for the tutorial part today. I had 2 other Wii games to play thanks to Target's Buy 2, get 1 Free Wii game sale (also got Wario Land and De Blob). It seemed fun. I just wish I had more songs to play though.

Look, really, this game is just plain bad. I can't believe I bought it, even the $20 gc from Amazon I'm supposed to get doesn't make up for it.

Played some more. Definitely needs more songs, but I'm really enjoying it. No direct challenge, but in terms of musically satisfying, I would say it slightly edges out band brothers. Inclusion of more classical and video game themes would have blown my mind.

Unless, they can come up with an algorithm that can easily adlib notes to any song, I can understand that there is no song composer. Still sucks though.

[quote name='IheartGames']Look, really, this game is just plain bad.[/quote]What is it you didn't like about it? Those who like it are posting reasons why. I'd like to see those who don't like it (but have actually played it...an extreme minority) post their reasons as well.

I think of what I've played of it so far (roughly 30 minutes), I'd say it's a 5.5-6.5 range. There's no real direction your given in the game. I'm not a fan of music games, but I'd assume your first goal is to unlock every song. Well, the game doesn't explicitly tell you how to do that. You just gotta randomly player songs until you get there.

[quote name='KingBroly']I think of what I've played of it so far (roughly 30 minutes), I'd say it's a 5.5-6.5 range. There's no real direction your given in the game. I'm not a fan of music games, but I'd assume your first goal is to unlock every song. Well, the game doesn't explicitly tell you how to do that. You just gotta randomly player songs until you get there.[/quote]
If you want a game with a finite objective, this is probably not the best choice. I like it for the very reason that you don't - there is no real goal.

[quote name='KingBroly']I think of what I've played of it so far (roughly 30 minutes), I'd say it's a 5.5-6.5 range. There's no real direction your given in the game. I'm not a fan of music games, but I'd assume your first goal is to unlock every song. Well, the game doesn't explicitly tell you how to do that. You just gotta randomly player songs until you get there.[/QUOTE]

This is comedy gold. You "gotta" randomly play songs? Your "goal" is to unlock songs? Did I miss something? Is there a demand for a walkthrough for this game?

You heard it here first, folks. Wii Music is not linear enough.

Shit. I was about to go outside for a walk with my three-year old daughter in the nice weather, but there is no goal so forget it. It would just be randomly walking around until I get somewhere.

The game doesn't explicitly have to tell you how, because you'll unlock everything through normal play of the game.

What did you do after the basic lesson? You made a few music videos. It didn't matter which song. What happened after that? You unlocked a new lesson about music styles. What did you do after that? Made more music videos using what you learned. That opened a new lesson about parts of a song. Each lesson unlocked more instrument choices, songs, stages, and album backgrounds.

You might enjoy the games on Wii Music better. They are more linear. Completing a level will unlock the next one in sequence. Pitch Perfect can be a pain though.

I was excited for Electroplankton, but ended up thinking it was a big pile of poo after buying two copies and keeping one sealed. How much more fun is this than Electroplankton, or are they along the same lines?

[quote name='MorPhiend']I was excited for Electroplankton, but ended up thinking it was a big pile of poo after buying two copies and keeping one sealed. How much more fun is this than Electroplankton, or are they along the same lines?[/quote]
I love this about the same as I love Electroplankton, which is a lot. Electroplankton focuses much more on pure experimentation though, where Wii Music focuses on refinement and variation. That said, if you hated Electroplankton, you will probably hate Wii Music.

I decided that I paid $80 plus shipping for two copies of Electroplankton, so $30 for Wii Music isn't bad and decided to open it. I played it for 30-45 minutes tonight and it's semi-entertaining so far. But so far jam mode is the only one that's fun at all.

[quote name='muffinman943']The dog instrument looks hilarious[/quote]
It is. If you have children (or can get some), they will love it. The cat suit, "vocals" and giant Japanese drum are big favorites too. We have so many videos of our kids' Miis atonally barking, banging and yelling.

Played this with a friend the other night. We had a lot of fun remixing the songs. For the mini-games, the bells were pretty fun. Really wish it included all the Wii Music songs and had higher difficulties.

It's really your mindset going into the game. The game is certainly flawed, lack of community video sharing, lack of more interesting songs, low quality midi instruments. But, if you look beyond trying to get highscores or "dangle the wiimote and still win, lol", you may find a game that provides a music experience unlike any game before.

bread's done
Back