Wii Play going to be rare?

Zeeman

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
So I put off preordering the game and I tried to do it yesterday but low and behold the stores are not preordering anymore. I am just wondering, do people think Wii Play is going to be scarce? I know many people just ordered this game to get a free Wiimote but is there going to be a game only option? I'm not too concerned about getting another wiimote because I can always buy one, but I'm just afraid the game itself will pull an Electroplankton or something

Just for reference, they stopped taking preorders of all forms of Zelda: Twilight Princess too. Those are nowhere near rare.

Wii Play will likely sell out for a while because it has a remote, but considering it's second in sales in Japan only to Wii Sports, it's hardly rare.

I think Wii Play is going to be advertised as a casual game for the family, just like Wii Sports, which means that Nintendo cannot make Wii Play scarce or they risk losing sales.

Nintendo should be well aware that families aren't going to jump through hoops for just a game, so Wii Play should be readily available for everyone to purchase at any time.

Plus the extra Wii Remote bundle package is nice and is sure to make it popular enough to warrant lots of copies.

[quote name='hack']I think Wii Play is going to be advertised as a casual game for the family, just like Wii Sports, which means that Nintendo cannot make Wii Play scarce or they risk losing sales.

Nintendo should be well aware that families aren't going to jump through hoops for just a game, so Wii Play should be readily available for everyone to purchase at any time.

Plus the extra Wii Remote bundle package is nice and is sure to make it popular enough to warrant lots of copies.[/QUOTE]

I always wondered if the pseudo-shortage of Wii-motes had to do with the upcoming Wii Play launch. For the price, Wii Play is probably going to be huge. They have to be stocking up on those things.

Roufuss said it in another thread and I'll reiterate it here: not every game released that might be somewhat hard to track down is going to be rare.

The reason you can't preorder it anymore is that less than a week from release al lthe shipments have already been finalized. I promise you, 4 years from now, you'll be able to buy Wii Play for like $3 used at every game store in the country.

I was readlng up on Wii Play and it doesn't seem as great as I first hoped. Especially since we have like 3 oe 4 games now filled with mini games and almost all of Play's games have been represented one way or another. The reviews haven't been too positive but I still may pick it up for my 4th remote

[quote name='CouRageouS']I was readlng up on Wii Play and it doesn't seem as great as I first hoped. Especially since we have like 3 oe 4 games now filled with mini games and almost all of Play's games have been represented one way or another. The reviews haven't been too positive but I still may pick it up for my 4th remote[/QUOTE]

That's the only reason I'm getting it, but as a 3rd remote. I'll take a game, even if not all that great, for $10 more.

[quote name='munch']That's the only reason I'm getting it, but as a 3rd remote. I'll take a game, even if not all that great, for $10 more.[/QUOTE]

i think most people are getting it for the remote. and for that reason it will be hard to find for a few weeks, but it certainly isnt going to be a rare game.

[quote name='munch']I always wondered if the pseudo-shortage of Wii-motes had to do with the upcoming Wii Play launch. For the price, Wii Play is probably going to be huge. They have to be stocking up on those things.[/quote]

good thought :applause:

[quote name='hack']I think Wii Play is going to be advertised as a casual game for the family, just like Wii Sports, which means that Nintendo cannot make Wii Play scarce or they risk losing sales.

Plus the extra Wii Remote bundle package is nice and is sure to make it popular enough to warrant lots of copies.[/quote]

No doubt, I need another remote and waiting for the package because it cost litte more and I get some cool party games like the Duck Huntish type game , Ping Pong,pool and I think Darts.

Not rare in the long run, but probably hard to find for the first few weeks since the Remotes have been scarce and many will snatch it just to get another remote.

Yeah, I think if you want this as soon as it comes out (and you haven't preordered) you better show up at stores as soon as they come in. And I mean stores that didn't take preorders (like Target, etc). EB told me all their allotment goes to preorders. GC too, I think - which sucks because they sent me a coupon in the mail last week for $5 off Wii Play (only good the week it comes out) but of course by then it was too late to preorder there.

Based on the scarcity of remotes right now I think it is guaranteed that the initial shipment of these will sell out and thus, I suppose, make it "rare" to find in stores for the first few weeks. But as others have pointed out, that makes it scarce, not really rare.

I'm curious if the game itself will sell well on ebay. I have 2 copies preordered because I need 2 remotes and was wondering if I could pay for a good portion of the 4th remote by selling one copy of the game. Probably lots of people will be doing this though ;).

Of course, one of my preorders is at Gamerush where they have yet to get a single Wii accessory in stock. So more than likely I will end up with just my EB preorder, which is fine.

I've gone super-chilly on Wii Play. After hearing more disappointing details last year, I went off the idea and picked up all the Wii-motes I need. Now if they had bundled the Wii-mote with a collection of re-done NES lightgun classics like Duck Hunt and Hogan's Alley, I would've been all over it.

Yeah, I'm approaching it as a $10 game, so I'm not expecting too much. It looks like it will be entertaining for a few hours, and then my kids will probably go back to it occasionally. That's all I ask of it ;).

the dude that works at the eb games i got to said they stopped to pre order on account of the amount of the wii motes that had to be packaged with each game. he didn't elaborate but i took it to mean a shortage of wiimotes perhaps. i'm just going next monday to try to grab a copy, we'll see how that goes.

Anyone buying the game for just the remote? I already have 4 remotes and don't want to pay $50 for the game and have to deal with selling off the remote. So, anyone willing to sell a copy of just the game for $10 shipped?

Yeah, I'll second that, if anyone picks it up just for the remote, I'd be interested in buying the game off of you and make your remote a little less than MSRP.

I'm buying this mainly for the second remote. I don't really play Wii Sports much anymore, and I figure Wii Play will be about the same.

um... are remotes still hard to find around you guys?

i've been to several stores over the past week, and had no trouble finding any of the 3 controllers (remote, nunchuk, classic) at most stores. i thought that was over now. no?

[quote name='DocRamon']um... are remotes still hard to find around you guys?

i've been to several stores over the past week, and had no trouble finding any of the 3 controllers (remote, nunchuk, classic) at most stores. i thought that was over now. no?[/quote]

I haven't seen a single controller in stock since I got my Wii on launch day.

[quote name='DocRamon']um... are remotes still hard to find around you guys?

i've been to several stores over the past week, and had no trouble finding any of the 3 controllers (remote, nunchuk, classic) at most stores. i thought that was over now. no?[/QUOTE]

Yes, but you also said you saw 2 Wii's sitting in a case at Sears (I believe) "getting no love" so apparently Nintendo overships to DFW and needs to redistribute some of that stuff to other areas :rofl:.

Having said that, I have seen Classic Controllers just about everywhere the last week or two. And I saw my first remotes in a long while at Gamecrazy the other day. I even saw Wii Points cards at Target. Not a nunchuk in sight though.

I guarantee Wii Play will sell out at first due to nothing other than the shortage of remotes (the pack-in game, of course, will only make it sell out even faster).

I know that Wii remotes are moderately hard to find, but this is ridiculous:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Nintendo-Wii-Re...QQihZ012QQcategoryZ147176QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Note that there are other auctions where they've closed for $39 or so.

Also note that Wii Play preorders are running $60 - $70 or so right now:
http://cgi.ebay.com/NIP-NINTENDO-Wi...9QQihZ006QQcategoryZ62053QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Wii-Play-for-Ni...6QQihZ012QQcategoryZ62053QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Yeah that's pretty ridiculous pricing if you ask me. As for the remote situation, back at home (small town) I can usually manage to find a remote at Target in stock here or there. My dad even walked into Walmart doing some errands and ended up buying a Wii for himself because they had them in stock. But here at school in a college town you won't be able to find anything at all unless you camp out in the store.

Anyway, there was a ilnk in the Video Games Deal section for $39 wii play with remote at CD Universe. I was thinking about getting it there and saving money except I don't know how reliable they are when it comes to preordering. Anybody know?

[quote name='rendil']Anyone buying the game for just the remote? I already have 4 remotes and don't want to pay $50 for the game and have to deal with selling off the remote. So, anyone willing to sell a copy of just the game for $10 shipped?[/quote]

Umm, 4thed, I think. I'll even go to $12+ shipping.

I've also been thinking of picking up Wii Play just for the extra Wii mote and the fact that it's only a $10 game. The reviews haven't been great, but I don't expect much.

I'm buying it for the remote. They are still hard to find in the Greater Los Angeles area. It's going to be hard to find Wii Play at first but it's not going to be rare at all.

But if you don't buy it the day it comes out I don't want to see anyone on CAG bitching about not finding it or nintendo being lame for not making more. You have been warned.

[quote name='io']Yes, but you also said you saw 2 Wii's sitting in a case at Sears (I believe) "getting no love" so apparently Nintendo overships to DFW and needs to redistribute some of that stuff to other areas :rofl:.[/QUOTE]

i guess so! and i'm not in some backcountry obscure part of the city either...

i really don't mean to sound like an ass or anything... i fully acknowledge that the systems are hard to get... and my finding 2 at sears at 4pm on a saturday was a little odd... but i must just be a lucky son of a bitch, because i've literally seen controllers (of some type) at just about every store i've been to lately... a ton of classics, a good number of nunchuks, and enough remotes for me to clearly not realize that others were having so much trouble finding them.

that's not to say they stay on the shelf long, that i don't know... but i see them around pretty frequently.

odd.

The only controller I'm able to find with any sort of regularity is the classic controller. I've seen the remotes a few times (mostly before I finally tracked down a Wii), and the nunchuks once. I bought a remote and a nunchuk at Walmart last week; when I left the store there were about 5 of them left. Two of my friends went to the same store less than two hours later and the nunchuks were sold out.

[quote name='DocRamon']i guess so! and i'm not in some backcountry obscure part of the city either...

i really don't mean to sound like an ass or anything... i fully acknowledge that the systems are hard to get... and my finding 2 at sears at 4pm on a saturday was a little odd... but i must just be a lucky son of a bitch, because i've literally seen controllers (of some type) at just about every store i've been to lately... a ton of classics, a good number of nunchuks, and enough remotes for me to clearly not realize that others were having so much trouble finding them.

that's not to say they stay on the shelf long, that i don't know... but i see them around pretty frequently.

odd.[/quote]

[quote name='hack']I think Wii Play is going to be advertised as a casual game for the family, just like Wii Sports, which means that Nintendo cannot make Wii Play scarce or they risk losing sales.[/QUOTE]

Not that the shortage of the Wii itself is not doing that already.

OMG RAREST GAME EVAR !!! 1111 !! 11111111

Right now I woulden't worry about it being rare... it's quite a shitty game... it might be bundled with some other crap in the future.

yes. it's going to be rare. It's going to be worth $500000000. It'll put your kids and your kids' kids through college. You will be set for life if you buy this.

:wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

Yeah Wii Play is supposed to suck, but for $10 more than a regular remote, why the hell not? I'm already going to buy an extra remote anyway. I think about the only fun I'll get out of it is with playing with the family. But again, $10? It's worth it even if I only get a couple hours of enjoyment out of it.

I'm guessing that the game itself will fetch $25 on Ebay... especially for all of those who already have their Wiimotes.

I have 3 Wiimotes and haven't pursued a fourth because I've had WiiPlay pre-ordered since December. I'm currently lacking a fourth Nunchuck but I've seen them here and there and I'm not really worried about being able to find one when I need one.

In NE Ohio it's pretty easy to find the Classic Controller and Nunchuck, but Wiimotes are still pretty rare. I've only seen them once since before Christmas.

Oh I have a question about Wii Play... anyone know if this comes in a dvd case? I thought I read it wasn't going to... but I've been seeing pictures of it for sale and its shown in a case. I already printed up a cover for it and everything. Although, I hope somebody makes a better one, because I think it kind of sucks.

Should we start to see this game in stores today? Amazon has it listed as releasing today. I thought that in N's case that means it shipped last week and should be out today.

[quote name='daminion']I'm guessing that the game itself will fetch $25 on Ebay... especially for all of those who already have their Wiimotes.

I have 3 Wiimotes and haven't pursued a fourth because I've had WiiPlay pre-ordered since December. I'm currently lacking a fourth Nunchuck but I've seen them here and there and I'm not really worried about being able to find one when I need one.

In NE Ohio it's pretty easy to find the Classic Controller and Nunchuck, but Wiimotes are still pretty rare. I've only seen them once since before Christmas.[/quote]

That would be nice. I am waiting for this to be in-stock at NewEgg so I can get the PayPal $15 rebate thing and then I am also considering selling the game on Ebay so my 2nd wiimote will end up dirt cheap.

Some one on dvdtalk in the videogames forum is reporting that he got wii play at a local bestbuy. Not sure how accurate it is at other bestbuy though.

-Kat

Since Nintendo's website listed release date as today, I called Gamestop and Wal-Mart today to inquire. Here's the jist of the conversations:

Gamestop - Oh, if you didn't pre-order you probably won't get one, it doesn't come out until at least Wednesday, we might have extras left over, but probably not, you won't be able to get this for at least a month without a pre-order, NO store around here will have it unless you pre-ordered or wait for it.

Wal-Mart less than 2,000 feet from above mentioned Gamestop - Yes, we have them for $49.99. Walked in after work, asked for it, clerk got it, paid for it and left. Not a single other person looking for it and they had PLENTY.

It appears to be available all over the place...I just walked into Target at 5:30 and they had about 12 of them. I picked one up. My 5 year old is enjoying it very much. Plus we now have 3 Wii-Motes.

bread's done
Back