Wii Shop Channel Thread - 12/29 StarTropics II, Maboshi's Arcade, Cue Sports: Pool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only one picture can accurately describe this week's press release:

charlie_brown_lucy_football.jpg

[quote name='soonersfan60']Where can I find a comparison of Sonic between Genesis and Master System? I already have the Genesis one (several times) and am wondering if the Master System one is different enough to warrant a purchase.[/quote]

I'm all but certain that Sonic for Sega Master System is the Game Gear version which is available on one of the previous compilation titles.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']Wild West Impressions from CAGs?[/QUOTE]

I really do believe I'll be downloading it later..but if someone beats me to it..PLEASE post impressions.

I think this is a game that I'll enjoy, but overall other people won't. :whistle2:k

Wild West Guns looks like a game I would enjoy but I dont have the points or the 300 blocks it requires. Maybe I get it after I finish a another playthrough on Lost Winds.

[quote name='flybrione']Wild West Guns looks like a game I would enjoy but I dont have the points or the 300 blocks it requires.[/quote]

This. I am pretty darn stingy on my space, only downloaded some n64 games and snes games and some wiiware and I have no space left at all. I had to move the internet channel to my SD card. fucking lack of space.

Hmm I deleted toki tori before I went to the shop channel in hope to get some YS Rpg goodness. Yeah those fucking dipshits refuse to release that or any fucking RPG.

I mean this is fucking bullshit already.

Although with that aside the VC releases were actually not a steaming pile of dog shit this week.

[quote name='flybrione']Wild West Guns looks like a game I would enjoy but I dont have the points or the [size=+4]300 blocks[/size] it requires. Maybe I get it after I finish a another playthrough on Lost Winds.[/QUOTE]

:rofl:
What. The. HELL?

Will Nintendo of America stop at nothing to keep decent VC games out of American Wiis? Going as far as pulling them out last-minute and making liars out of some of their top publishers?

Nintendo: "Ys I & II? Mega Man?? Aww, HELL NAAHHH!! Here, give them the crappy version of Sonic the Hedgehog. You know, the one the poor kids played when they couldn't afford a Genesis."

"But sir, that's only one game"

Nintendo: "WHAT?? Here, put Splatterhouse 2 up there, too. It was a HUGE SENSATION!!"

"But sir that was only for like one week in 1992. Besides, Japan gets something like five awesome VC games each week. Even Australia has..."

Nintendo: "YOU'RE fuckING FIRED!!!"

Last edited by a moderator:
Will Nintendo of America stop at nothing to keep decent VC games out of American Wiis? Going as far as pulling them out last-minute and making liars out of some of their top publishers?

Nintendo: "Ys I & II? Mega Man?? Aww, HELL NAAHHH!! Here, give them the crappy version of Sonic the Hedgehog. You know, the one the poor kids played when they couldn't afford a Genesis."

Nintendo: "WHAT?? Here, put Splatterhouse 2 up there, too. It was a HUGE SENSATION!!"

"But sir that was only for like one week in 1992. Besides, Japan gets something like five awesome VC games each week. Even Australia has..."

Nintendo: "AND...? Fine! Here, put Splatterhouse 2 up there, too. It was a HUGE SENSATION!!"

"But sir, that was only for like one week in 1992. Besides, Japan gets something like five awesome VC games each week. Even Australia has..."

[quote name='lilboo']I would love to know what happened with Mega Man & YS I & II :whistle2:k[/quote]

Me too, actually come to think about it, I think they are just giving us shit on the VC to make people check out Wiiware. If they see shit on the VC Nintendo might think they might be more inclined to buy some Wiiware since it is new and they never played it. Any thoughts? :whistle2:k

Well that's fine and dandy but eventually they ARE going to run out of crap games and will have no other choice but to give us some good -> GREAT games!

But then again, we *DO* have a pretty big list of awesome VC games. I know nothing as of RECENT, but generally speaking we already do have quite a bit of some great games.

The WiiWare, though, hasn't been that great. MLaaK, Toki Tori, pOp and Magnetica are probably my favorite ones. I DO like Dr Mario too..but everything else is feh. Lost Winds IS good but that 1000 points has got to go!

I can so see Mega Man 9 coming out AFTER the PSN/XBLA version.. just because it's Nintendo. I was really looking forward to downloading Mega Man today, too. :bomb: It's been suuch a long time since I've played a Mega Man game!

Even Earthworm Jim 1 and 2 coming out excites me..but when? I just don't understand why these games get rated/announced but they seem to never show up? What ELSE I don't get is that we check the ESRB website to see if big name games get rated. Ok. Well how come we get random games that just show up on the VC and never appear on the ESRB website until later? :shrug:

We go through this week after week after week..after week, but I really wish we knew what the hell goes on during the weekly decision to pick these games and WHY "North America gets ____" "Japan gets ______________________________________________" and "Europe gets ____".

SHRUGS.

I'd also like to know if they (as in Nintendo) already have that one big list of games that WILL be released on the VC from day one until the final days of the service.

Regardless, this week wasn't too bad. It's a bit better than the last few weeks, so I'll take this over the other crap we've been gettin.

/MAD

I think Nintendo knows there's only so much room on the hype wagon. If they release a great WiiWare game, the VC games won't get hyped as much, and won't sell as much. Even though it remains there, it becomes "old news," and they missed the opportunity to maximize exposure and sales for that game.

Either that, or they think American Wii owners do nothing but eat tard sandwiches and can't figger out dem RPG number gamez.

[quote name='lilboo']

I can so see Mega Man 9 coming out AFTER the PSN/XBLA version.. just because it's Nintendo. I was really looking forward to downloading Mega Man today, too. :bomb: It's been suuch a long time since I've played a Mega Man game!

[/quote]

Oh Nintendo will do this and I while I am mad now, if they withhold Mega Man 9 from me, I will probably have enough rage in me to sell the console, pirate every vc game ever and will be released, and buy a console that could play MM9.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Oh Nintendo will do this and I while I am mad now, if they withhold Mega Man 9 from me, I will probably have enough rage in me to sell the console, pirate every vc game ever and will be released, and buy a console that could play MM9.[/QUOTE]

I want Mega Man 9 for Wii simply for the use of the remote as an NES controller. You can't get anymore bad ass then that.

However, in the event that the OTHER versions come out first.. I am def givin a big fuck you to them and downloading the XBLA version.

It's that simple :nottalking:

[quote name='Suraph']For anyone who has played the Wild West game they released today: does it support wiimote only play?[/QUOTE]

I haven't tried this yet as I am not home, lol, but I am almosty 100% certain it is a Wiimote only game. (Well Wiimote/Zapper). If it uses the zapper, it MIGHT use the nunchuck too..

Gotta try this when I get home.

[quote name='lilboo']I haven't tried this yet as I am not home, lol, but I am almosty 100% certain it is a Wiimote only game. (Well Wiimote/Zapper). If it uses the zapper, it MIGHT use the nunchuck too..

Gotta try this when I get home.

Jesus tapdancing Christ. I'm psyched for the Monday update for the first time since fucking Lords of Thunder came out and Nintendo mushroom stamps me upside the head. If this weeks releases had been Megaman 1, Ys and Samurai Shodown II, I may well have bought all three games. Ya hear that Nintendo?! Over 2000 points!

Oh well. Maybe something good will come out on XBLA this week.

edit: I'm sorry about spelling and grammer. I will try to fix some of the errors.

"mad scientists are eager to hug you and when they do they explode"

Wild West Guns is a decent light gun. It only uses the wii-mote, and not the nuchuck. I played using my perfect shot. It has a 1 player and a 2 player mode. I only played the 1 player mode. Its has 6 stages broken into 3 parts per stage. I played the first two stages before writing this. You have no life bar, there is no reloading, and your score is expressed in money. Your job in the game is too shoot stuff for money, great job btw, and that includes wildlife (rats, fish, vultures), scenery (bells, signs ,etc.), and bad guys (gunmen, gunwomen, and mad scientists who rush at you with bombs). The damageable objects are cell shaded so its easy to distinguish them. You do get bonuses for headshot too. At the end of the stage you are rated on shots, accuracy and longest streak. You need a silver in a stage to unlock the next one.

1st stage
The first part of the 1st stage was a target shooting game, where you shoot blue targets, green bonus targets and avoid red targets. It is very forgiving with the timing. I got a few targets that appeared to have disappeared and it still counted them. The 2nd part was a clay-pigeon-style level, but instead you shoot sombreros. The 3rd part was shooting train robbers side scrolling style. This level does have innocents to avoid and they cost you money if you get hit. You can get shoot too, but I couldn’t tell if you lose money for it.
2nd stage
1st part is a tin can juggling level. The cans move rather slowly and you shoot them to keep them in the air. As you are trying to juggle them, enemies will charge at you, some taking a few shots to defeat. The second part is shooting as many balloons are you can, as they float upwards. The third part is a shootout in the saloon, with multiple enemies jumping out at you.

The game features Achievements, which fall into the following categories: shooting, destruction, wildlife, quickness, persistence, precision, wanted, money & medals. I got three on just the first two levels: (persistence, 75 hits in a row & shooting - gunman - 20% targets hit in the game & Money - poor 1,000,000). The shooting and money achievements make me believe that they upgrade as you do better.

It’s a decent shooter to have on your Wii, for times when you don’t want to get up and switch out your games. It does lack the pressure and excitement of some other games, but if you have the space/points, I think its worth it. I think it has a 12+ rating. It would be a good game for non-mature gamers, but as always it is a matter for the individual and there guardians.

[quote name='Halo05']Jesus tapdancing Christ. I'm psyched for the Monday update for the first time since fucking Lords of Thunder came out and Nintendo mushroom stamps me upside the head. If this weeks releases had been Megaman 1, Ys and Samurai Shodown II, I may well have bought all three games. Ya hear that Nintendo?! Over 2000 points!

Oh well. Maybe something good will come out on XBLA this week.[/quote]

Braid is coming out, but at 1200 points ($15.00) :bomb: Here are all the XBLA coming out during the summer: http://www.xbox.com/en-US/community/events/summerofarcade/

At least Bionic Commando comes out next.

Oh, uh... Wii Shop is an excellent, excellent service.

Anyone ever think that when a game gets rated, it doesn't necessarily mean that it will be released. Maybe a company gets a game rated and then based on the rating, they decide to not release it because they think the rating is too high or low and therefore won't sell well.

Which games are you talking about?

In the case of Super Mario RPG and Earthbound, they can go based on what those games were rated before. I don't think they expect a different rating to judge whether or not they should release them.

I know you pay money to have your game rated by the ESRB, and that you have to show video of gameplay... question is, do you have to show gameplay of THAT exact copy, meaning the port running on the Wii? Or can you dig out a SNES copy and record the gameplay of that?

I freed up 300 blocks for Wild West Guns and got it from the shop. Bottom line: If you like Ghost Squad, or yearn for the days of Hogan's Alley and Duck Hunt, it's a fun game. There have been games that I immediately regretted downloading or buying for $10 or less, and this isn't one of them.

There are 6 levels in the game and I played through all of them in about 30-35 minutes. I didn't get a high enough score to clear the final stage. The stages seemed really easy until I hit the 5th one. Suddenly the target game got insane, and the one on the 6th stage is even worse. The vulture stages are probably the hardest, though. So if you start playing and think it's too easy, don't worry, there's some serious challenge in there later.

If you want to use the perfect shot, you have switch to the zapper controls, which means that you have to plug in the nunchuck. There are only two things you need it for though, and they're rare. You'll use Z to go back when you're at a menu, and if someone grabs you, you need to shake the nunchuck to get them away. I never ran into that situation while playing, so it was never an issue for me.

Stages are very destructible, so there's the dilemma of "Ooo... I really want to shoot that to see if I get points" versus "I don't want to ruin my chain." Oh, and achievements for shooting wildlife? Nice touch. (I'm a butcher!)

Wild West Guns reminds me so much of Mad Dog McCree, it's practically begging me to buy it. I loved that game so much in middle school. I think I've finally got something to spend my points on.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']Anyone ever think that when a game gets rated, it doesn't necessarily mean that it will be released. Maybe a company gets a game rated and then based on the rating, they decide to not release it because they think the rating is too high or low and therefore won't sell well.[/QUOTE]

Pro Wrestling was rated like right around the time of the VC's launch. It has never showed up.

And I get bitter ever week when it no shows!

RD

Wild West Guns sounds interesting, but I don't have a Zapper or Perfect Shot yet so I'll hold off.

Seriously, though, is there any reason that games that were confirmed by the publisher didn't come out today? Mega Man was confirmed (in a blog post that they've now pulled), and so was Y's. I think we all know that at this point.

[quote name='vlv723']I wonder if Nintendo is taking action on companies that are leaking their VC releases early and therefore, pushing back their release date.

If so, that's fucked up. Really fucked up.[/QUOTE]

As much as I'd like to think this is just a crackpot theory (and that's not a knock on you, vlv723, but the train of thought), the fact that the confirmed games didn't show up and that we got two games, from the same publisher, one of which I don't think there was any significant demand for...well, you might be on to something. Not that the Sega games are bad, mind you, but something smells wrong here.

The most ridiculous thing about it, if that's actually what's happening, is that I don't see any way how pushing back Virtual Console releases could have a significant impact on their sales.

fuck this. I might get Sonic eventually (never had a Master System and I loved the Game Gear version of Sonic 2), but not now. They don't get any of my money today.

So I bought a bunch of Wii points at Wal-Mart for $8.00 per 2000 point card. After playing and beating Lostwinds and Super Metroid, I was wondering if there are any great games that are often overlooked? I've pretty much played anything popular like Mario games btw.

[quote name='thorbahn3']So I bought a bunch of Wii points at Wal-Mart for $8.00 per 2000 point card. After playing and beating Lostwinds and Super Metroid, I was wondering if there are any great games that are often overlooked? I've pretty much played anything popular like Mario games btw.[/QUOTE]

The most expensive game on the VC, Sin & Punishment is REALLY bad ass and totally worth the 1200 IMO.

Of course, the most expensive WiiWare game is ALSO pretty good. My life as a King :)

But Sin & Punishment is def a must have game..because you NEVER had it :p

[quote name='lilboo']The most expensive game on the VC, Sin & Punishment is REALLY bad ass and totally worth the 1200 IMO.

Of course, the most expensive WiiWare game is ALSO pretty good. My life as a King :)

But Sin & Punishment is def a must have game..because you NEVER had it :p[/quote]Agreed on both.

Ok I just played the first level of Wild West Guns.

LB approves.

I played the first level, alone, with a Zapper.
It's corny as all hell, but THIS game IS what WiiWare IS supposed to be. Now this isn't perfect, and this isn't the epitome of WiiWare games despite what I just said, lol.. but they basically need games that just capitalize on what the Wii is.. AND work.

Besides Target Terror, these zapper games are hard to fail and they are almost always fun. It's just moving your cursor and hitting a button. It's a VERY simple thing to do, so why not have more?

This game, so far, reminds of just a corny version of Link's Crossbow Training. Basically your scores get you a ranking and you need to unlock your next level.

The graphics are nothing special. The sounds are nothing special. The gameplay isn't really that unique. But this game is fun. The 10 minutes I just spent with level 1 was a good 10 minutes. I'd imagine that the next 5 levels should be decent, and playing them WITH someone should be fun too. I also need to try this out with my Perfect Shot.

I'm going to say that YES, this game is good and IS worth 1000 points. My only gripe is that Gameloft sucks ass at making these games small..300 blocks is atrocious. I know Game Show King is like 297 blocks too..Yuck.

I think it was Rey who said if you liked Ghost Squad then you'll like this. I'm going to correct him now. This is no where near the

[quote name='Mr. 420']get the hard drive out fast so we don't have shitty mondays like this
just bought crash 3 for 6 bucks[/quote]
crash 3 as in Crash bandicoot 3? For PlayStation? Good game but even lilboo is more on topic.

[quote name='GoNintendo']A number of variables can affect a game’s release date. Therefore, the Wii-kly Update is the only authority for confirmed release dates of Virtual Console games. - Nintendo of America[/QUOTE]

Straight from NOA apparently but I couldn't find any other direct link other than this. Basically saying that we can't even trust the developers as to when is released.

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']
As much as I'd like to think this is just a crackpot theory (and that's not a knock on you, vlv723, but the train of thought), the fact that the confirmed games didn't show up and that we got two games, from the same publisher, one of which I don't think there was any significant demand for...well, you might be on to something. Not that the Sega games are bad, mind you, but something smells wrong here.

The most ridiculous thing about it, if that's actually what's happening, is that I don't see any way how pushing back Virtual Console releases could have a significant impact on their sales.
[/QUOTE]

There's alot of theories/speculation on what caused Nintendo to screw us over on what I read from VC Reviews. One for example: The developers like Capcom and Hudson Soft bluffed us to buy more Wii points. Then the big house, Nintendo, wins again with the big hand: Giving us more mediocre releases.

[quote name='sonderiaom']Straight from NOA apparently but I couldn't find any other direct link other than this. Basically saying that we can't even trust the developers as to when is released.[/QUOTE]

I call that bullshit, seriously, I guess they got lots of complaints today and came up with that answer. Please, just cut it out Nintendo.

Though I haven't played the game, I must recommend - as I do in virtually every game of this type - that everyone try Wild West's two-player mode alone. Because if videogames have taught us anything, it's that everything's better with dual-wielding.

They've also taught us that at some point in your life, you'll have to visit (probably in this order) a massive forest, a frozen mountain, a semi-active volcano, maybe an island/beach/coastal place, a desert, and a futuristic techno-city. At some point in this journey, you'll get thrown in jail - but don't worry, because the guards only strip you of your items and weapons about 50% of the time, and when they do, it's probably pretty close by. Oh, and all the small animals you meet will be fucking loaded.

ffs Nintendo

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=12269261&postcount=23853

Here's japan's releases

Virtual Console:

* Twinbee (Famicom, 1-2 players, 500 Wii Points)
* Gakkou de Atta Kowai Hanashi (Super Famicom, 1 player, 800 Wii Points)
* Sonic the Hedgehog (Master System, 1 player, 500 Wii Points)
* Eikan no Kimi Ni: Koukou Yakyuu Zenkoku Taikai (PC Engine, 1-2 players, 800 Wii Points)
* Dragon Saber (PC Engine, 1-2 players, 600 Wii Points)

WiiWare:

* Tsuushin Taikyoku: Igo Dojo 2700-mon (1-2 players, 1,000 Wii Points)
* Silver Star Chess (1-2 players, 500 Wii Points)
* Wild West Guns (1-2 players, 1,000 Wii Points)

=(

http://gonintendo.com/?p=51626

Strong Bad’s Cool Game for Attractive People officially dated for August 11th

SAN RAFAEL, CA, August 5, 2008 – Telltale Inc., the leader in interactive episodic entertainment, is announcing that “Homestar Ruiner”, the first of five monthly Strong Bad’s Cool Game for Attractive People episodes, will premiere Monday, August 11. “Homestar Ruiner” will release on Nintendo’s WiiWare™ download service in North and South America and worldwide on PC simultaneously. WiiWare availability for Europe, Australia and New Zealand will follow shortly.

As the star of the popular Homestarrunner.com web cartoons, Strong Bad has been answering emails (in boxing gloves), pranking his friends, pummeling his enemies, and making people with questionable taste snort milk out of their noses for years. Now he’s branching out to star in the monthly Strong Bad’s Cool Game for Attractive People series developed in partnership with Homestarrunner.com creators Mike and Matt Chapman.

In the season premiere, Strong Bad’s plans to beat the snot out of his rival Homestar Runner backfire, and he ends up with an unwanted houseguest cramping his style. Now he needs to get life back to normal, by any means possible. Comical point-and-click gameplay progresses the story, with side quests, mini games, achievements, and an “extended play” sandbox mode that unlocks after the story is completed rounding out the game experience.

Homestar Ruiner is a great series premiere and kick-off for the season. The next five months will be filled with lots of surprises,” says Telltale CEO Dan Connors. “This is how we always envisioned episodic gaming—monthly releases, straight into the living room. We’re happy to be working with the Chapmans and Nintendo to make it a reality."

New Strong Bad episodes can be downloaded from the Wii™ Shop Channel each month for 1000 Wii Points™. The series takes advantage of the WiiConnect24™ technology by giving players the ability to send Strong Bad-themed emails to Wii friends directly from the Lappy. Photos taken using the in-game camera feature can be attached to emails, allowing players to show off Easter eggs uncovered or hidden costumes collected during the game.

“We are very excited,” said a Videlectrix spokesperson from his pretend high-rise office, “Our last game topped out at 8 bits. We’ve heard this one might reach 9 or 10!”
Downloadable versions of each Strong Bad episode will also be available for the PC exclusively from Telltale’s website, with preorders starting today at www.telltalegames.com/strongbad. Episodes can be purchased individually for $8.95 or as part of a five-episode subscription for $34.95. As with Telltale’s popular Sam & Max series, customers who purchase the full series from Telltale will later be eligible to get a disc version for the cost of shipping and handling.

After the “Homestar Ruiner” premiere on August 11, storylines in the monthly episodes will run the gamut from political struggles to rock’n roll to the world of videogames (of course), building to the exciting season finale in December. Many fan favorite characters from Free Country USA will appear in each episode, along with special new super 8-bit style mini-games from Videlectrix. Additional details about the series can be found at www.telltalegames.com/strongbad.

So, uh we see this in September or October instead, right?

I would like to know what "variables can affect a game's release date" because I can't think of one especially when the original publisher/owner of a game is confident enough that everything's in order to announce a date.

I really thought that Nintendo would use the VC wisely in times of Wii game droughts. I guess they figure the release schedules for the N64 and GCN were roaring successes. :roll:

I have played every WiiWare game!!!!!
:whee: :wall: [insert puke smiley here. I think it's too gross to actually be in my post.] Mini reviews of all of them are on my blag.

@lilboo Pong Toss: Frat Party Games is 121 Blocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back