Wii Shop Channel Thread - 12/29 StarTropics II, Maboshi's Arcade, Cue Sports: Pool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm I been thinking, Nintendo is smart, and are greedy son of a fucking bitches. I been thinking that they must make a lot more money off selling a Wiiware title than the VC. It also makes sense because Nintendo would want to have all the VC publishers as possible so they probably paid top dollar but small devs would want their game on Wii, so the devs would not mind paying more for their game.

Now why not release Earthbound, Nintendo made that? Well sure they would make shit tons of money because everyone wants to play it now that Ness and Lucas is in brawl but they could lose huge Wiiware sales for a couple of weeks, and they wouldn't want that, they would probably make more off dumbasses buying shitty beer pong clones than they would in lost sales to good VC games.

Look at Wii Music, and then tell me are not greedy son of a bitches :lol:.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']I been thinking that they must make a lot more money off selling a Wiiware title than the VC. It also makes sense because Nintendo would want to have all the VC publishers as possible so they probably paid top dollar but small devs would want their game on Wii, so the devs would not mind paying more for their game.[/QUOTE]

That doesn't make any sense. A lot of the Virtual Console titles are first-party, meaning Nintendo gets ALL of the money from the titles back instead of splitting them with another publisher. Currently, that's only true for a whopping three WiiWare titles.

Beyond that, why would small developers be willing to pay more to Nintendo when they don't have the resources to do so? The reason they're small developers using digital distribution is that, for the most part, they don't have the money to get the game out in any other way.

And as for the Beer Pong example...I guarantee you that an 800 point copy of Earthbound gives Nintendo more money than an 800 point copy of Pong Toss.

[quote name='Travelsized']The trailer for Strong Bad's Game With a Really Long Title is on the Nintendo Channel, so I'd take that as a good sign.[/QUOTE]

Given that we had confirmation from Capcom and Hudson that their games would come out, I wouldn't count on it. Since we saw the press release a week ahead of time...I'm thinking 2010.

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']That doesn't make any sense. A lot of the Virtual Console titles are first-party, meaning Nintendo gets ALL of the money from the titles back instead of splitting them with another publisher. Currently, that's only true for a whopping three WiiWare titles.

Beyond that, why would small developers be willing to pay more to Nintendo when they don't have the resources to do so? The reason they're small developers using digital distribution is that, for the most part, they don't have the money to get the game out in any other way.

And as for the Beer Pong example...I guarantee you that an 800 point copy of Earthbound gives Nintendo more money than an 800 point copy of Pong Toss.
[/quote]

Yes Nintendo makes all the money on their games but for third party games I don't know if they are making a lot of money at all.

When I say willing to pay more I mean take a bigger cut of money they get from sales. Like I was thinking that Nintendo might be getting 10% of all third party VC sales but who knows maybe they get upwards of 20-30% of all Wiiware profits so there is no upfront costs more of a percentage based on downloads. Since small devs would probably take a bigger cut to get on Wii, it is logical. Also when I compare Earthbound to Pong Toss, they are holding on Earthbound until there is no Wiiware left for a week probably since they would still make the money with Earthbound. Why release it on a week when they could lose Wiiware sales to Earthbound when they don't have to. My guess is they are holding back on third party releases due to more money potentially off Wiiware than third party VC games.

Why do devs post a game is coming out and it hasn't? Well for a game like Megaman or YS, think of it as bait for you to come to the shop channel. I think they might be saying hey no Megaman but you can download this now.

Just my theory on this shit. No clue if it is right but I am just tired of this shit.

Thanks for posting that EXStrike

In the season premiere, Strong Bad’s plans to beat the snot out of his rival Homestar Runner backfire, and he ends up with an unwanted houseguest cramping his style. Now he needs to get life back to normal, by any means possible. Comical point-and-click gameplay progresses the story, with side quests, mini games, achievements, and an “extended play” sandbox mode that unlocks after the story is completed rounding out the game experience.

That sounds great. I'll take the plunge if lightning strikes and it does appear this Monday, if I don't like it then I won't get anymore but it does sound promising.

Anyone actually familiar with the character? I probably sound like a "bandwagon guy" not knowing much of him (the red guy...lol) but still looking forward to the game.

Come on Ninyendo, this Monday!

[quote name='Foo228']Anyone actually familiar with the character? I probably sound like a "bandwagon guy" not knowing much of him (the red guy...lol) but still looking forward to the game.[/QUOTE]

Seriously? Seriously?

Start watching, then. Start with the e-mails and then maybe move on to the other cartoons on the Homestar Runner site.

I know that Homestar Runner isn't something that your grandma in Omaha would know about, but if you're posting on message boards I'm amazed that you haven't seen the site before, given that this is the kind of site that pulls in millions of hits a month. :whistle2:s

[quote name='soonersfan60']Interesting that we got Sonic and Wild West Guns before Japan. How often does that happen for VC games and WiiWare games?[/QUOTE]

Apparently, it only happens when they're games that none of us actually wanted. :whistle2:?

is anyone familiar with the Sam & Max "full disc" thing? do we have to purchase the full series in one chunk right now? or could we buy each month one at a time and then still get the full disc later? it'd be cool to have, i think. sort of "limited edition" in a way, assuming they don't go with a retail release later down the road.

(although 1,000 points X 5 = $50, so $35 sounds like a good deal anyway)

[quote name='EvyLou']is anyone familiar with the Sam & Max "full disc" thing? do we have to purchase the full series in one chunk right now? or could we buy each month one at a time and then still get the full disc later? it'd be cool to have, i think. sort of "limited edition" in a way, assuming they don't go with a retail release later down the road.

(although 1,000 points X 5 = $50, so $35 sounds like a good deal anyway)[/QUOTE]

As far as I know, the retail option for Sam and Max wasn't announced until close to the end of the series. If there is one coming for Strongbad, we won't hear about it for months.

On another note, I hope that Telltale's Wallace and Gromit series makes it to the Wii.

Forget it.......my eyes must have been skimming this paragraph for pricing and missed the important key letters P and C. I guess this means that Wii users shell out $50 for the whole thing. Lame. It better be a long game at that price point....

"Downloadable versions of each Strong Bad episode will also be available for the PC exclusively from Telltale’s website, with preorders starting today at www.telltalegames.com/strongbad. Episodes can be purchased individually for $8.95 or as part of a five-episode subscription for $34.95. As with Telltale’s popular Sam & Max series, customers who purchase the full series from Telltale will later be eligible to get a disc version for the cost of shipping and handling."

[quote name='EvyLou']"Downloadable versions of each Strong Bad episode will also be available for the PC exclusively from Telltale’s website, with preorders starting today at www.telltalegames.com/strongbad. Episodes can be purchased individually for $8.95 or as part of a five-episode subscription for $34.95. As with Telltale’s popular Sam & Max series, customers who purchase the full series from Telltale will later be eligible to get a disc version for the cost of shipping and handling."[/QUOTE]

They certainly aren't giving players any incentive to purchase the game on the Wii with that price point, and not to mention the lack of storage options on the Wii. What gives?

[quote name='BlueLobstah']They certainly aren't giving players any incentive to purchase the game on the Wii with that price point, and not to mention the lack of storage options on the Wii. What gives?[/quote]
Not really sure how they'd work out people paying 3500 Wii Points in advance. I suppose they could put dummy games in there for future episodes so you could redownload them when they were released, but it seems rather flimsy.

I played more Wild West Guns last night. It's a good time. Very much a pick up and play game.

It still has that "Links Crossbow Training" feeling..and it's a good thing!

[quote name='botticus']Not really sure how they'd work out people paying 3500 Wii Points in advance. I suppose they could put dummy games in there for future episodes so you could redownload them when they were released, but it seems rather flimsy.[/QUOTE]

I can understand not buying the whole package. Its just that even alone the game is $1 less on the PC, which seems really odd to me. If I were interested in the game, I would be more inclined to purchase the PC edition in this case.

I guess it doesn't really matter for Telltale games, because they make money either way. Its just a really odd choice.

[quote name='BlueLobstah']I can understand not buying the whole package. Its just that even alone the game is $1 less on the PC, which seems really odd to me.[/quote]

Maybe Nintendo gets that $1 as a distribution fees or something? I know for me, even if I remotely like the first episode i'll end up buying the second one, and at that point I will have to buy 3-5. I'm not a PC gamer, so I'll have to think long and hard before shelling out $50 for this game (I probably would have paid $35 now for it though).

[quote name='BlueLobstah']I can understand not buying the whole package. Its just that even alone the game is $1 less on the PC, which seems really odd to me. If I were interested in the game, I would be more inclined to purchase the PC edition in this case.

I guess it doesn't really matter for Telltale games, because they make money either way. Its just a really odd choice.[/quote]
Probably a matter of preference to price it at a round 1000. I'm sure since they're publishing the game on PC, they're taking into account Nintendo's cut of WiiWare, even though that should be made up for with the lack of production/distribution costs.

Not to mention that I assume they're expecting Wii versions of their games to target different audiences. I could have bought Sam & Max years ago on PC, but I never bothered. I may grab it whenever it's released for the Wii, though.

So, no impressions on Splatterhouse 2? I thought there were several people here who couldn't wait? I'm looking to see if it's better then the first, and if so, HOW much better?

The first one disappointed me because it was kinda batshit awkward. Like.. the guy seemed too big and jumped weird and seemed nearly impossible to NOT get hit?! I liked the idea, though.

So come on. Who downloaded this? Or at the very least, who stole the rom of it and is playing it?!

--

Also, WWG is pretty fun. I

[quote name='lilboo']So, no impressions on Splatterhouse 2? I thought there were several people here who couldn't wait? I'm looking to see if it's better then the first, and if so, HOW much better?

The first one disappointed me because it was kinda batshit awkward. Like.. the guy seemed too big and jumped weird and seemed nearly impossible to NOT get hit?! I liked the idea, though.

So come on. Who downloaded this? Or at the very least, who stole the rom of it and is playing it?[/quote]

I have played the second game and while I haven't got that far in it I will say it is like the first. Almost too much for me, I noticed a nice graphics overhall and all but the combat and general gameplay is almost the same for me. If someone wants to prove me wrong then go right ahead since I have not got that far in the game.

My advice is to wait until Splatterhouse 3 because I really liked that one and is a big difference than the 2nd.

As for the downloading question, I would love to download more but it is a space issue. I don't have the blocks to download anything and I am saving my blocks for something excellent to spend them on.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']I have played the second game and while I haven't got that far in it I will say it is like the first. Almost too much for me, I noticed a nice graphics overhall and all but the combat and general gameplay is almost the same for me. If someone wants to prove me wrong then go right ahead since I have not got that far in the game.

My advice is to wait until Splatterhouse 3 because I really liked that one and is a big difference than the 2nd.

As for the downloading question, I would love to download more but it is a space issue. I don't have the blocks to download anything and I am saving my blocks for something excellent to spend them on.[/QUOTE]

Seriously, don't even bother. It's just not gonna happen.. or it's just not gonna happen anytime soon.
Just store, delete, and download.
:(

[quote name='lilboo']Seriously, don't even bother. It's just not gonna happen.. or it's just not gonna happen anytime soon.
:([/quote]So let's see...

Denial, anger, bargaining, depression... acceptance, there it is! ;)

[quote name='lilboo']
So come on. Who downloaded this? Or at the very least, who stole the rom of it and is playing it?!

Also, WWG is pretty fun. I

[quote name='lilboo']Seriously, don't even bother. It's just not gonna happen.. or it's just not gonna happen anytime soon.
:([/QUOTE]

Or not buy anymore, which is the stance I'll be taking. I havent beat all of the VC games I did DL and only Dr Mario is multiplayer. So I'm good for now.

I'll have SF2 HD and Bionic Commando to keep me busy if I ever get the backlog cleared out. Heck some day I'll finish Half-Life Episode 2.

[quote name='EXStrike']Them Euro folks get Ecco Jr., Pitstop II for the C64, and SamSho II today.[/quote]
In total, we got Ecco Jr. - Sega Genesis/800 Points, Splatterhouse 2 - Sega Genesis/800 Points, Samurai Shodown II - Neo Geo/900 Points, and Pitstop II - Commodore 64/500 Points.

[quote name='MisterModest']In total, we got Ecco Jr. - Sega Genesis/800 Points, Splatterhouse 2 - Sega Genesis/800 Points, Samurai Shodown II - Neo Geo/900 Points, and Pitstop II - Commodore 64/500 Points.[/quote]

your from the UK?

[quote name='MisterModest']In total, we got Ecco Jr. - Sega Genesis/800 Points, Splatterhouse 2 - Sega Genesis/800 Points, Samurai Shodown II - Neo Geo/900 Points, and Pitstop II - Commodore 64/500 Points.[/quote]

Hmm, don't know how I missed that.

What the fuck, Nintendo. Why doesn't America get four or five games a week too? Even if they're all Commodore 64, that'd STILL be an improvement over what we get nowadays. :cry:

I've got a copy of Bully now, though, so I've got something to keep me busy.

[quote name='lilboo']So come on. Who downloaded this? Or at the very least, who stole the rom of it and is playing it?![/QUOTE]
You know when Wii Ware first came out I would at least take the 5 minutes to 'homebrew' the new game onto my system and try it out. Now I'm just too lazy and stopped caring. I will buy Strongbad though.

[quote name='vlv723']Careful, if that happens this coming Monday, sure it's great to have another system available, but it would piss off the SMRPG/EB people ;)[/quote]

Personally I'd rather see a new system with a different set of games than rehashes of already released games for a different system on there, i.e. Sonic.

[quote name='sonderiaom']Personally I'd rather see a new system with a different set of games than rehashes of already released games for a different system on there, i.e. Sonic.[/QUOTE]

Given that Sonic has completely different level maps, I don't think I'd call it a "rehash." That's the main difference between Sonic 3 and Sonic and Knuckles, after all.

Anyone else think it's interesting that, after last week, we haven't seen a single leak of what's coming out this week? Either the companies have given up hope on the accuracy of the planned schedule, or the theory that Nintendo swapped the games to punish Hudson and Capcom might hold some water...

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']Given that Sonic has completely different level maps, I don't think I'd call it a "rehash." That's the main difference between Sonic 3 and Sonic and Knuckles, after all.

Anyone else think it's interesting that, after last week, we haven't seen a single leak of what's coming out this week? Either the companies have given up hope on the accuracy of the planned schedule, or the theory that Nintendo swapped the games to punish Hudson and Capcom might hold some water...[/QUOTE]

Does Super Mario All-Stars count as a rehash? Sure all the 8-bit versions are out already but I feel that releasing that would piss off people like myself who blew $20 on all 4 games.

[quote name='ZForce915']You might be on to something there GW. It has to be tiring to put out info on your site that turns out to be wrong so often.[/QUOTE]

Also, I did mention that in my past posts, and have one hell of a venting blog about it.

The Tag Police got this thread too? :cry:

[quote name='vlv723']Does Super Mario All-Stars count as a rehash? Sure all the 8-bit versions are out already but I feel that releasing that would piss off people like myself who blew $20 on all 4 games.

Also, I did mention that in my past posts, and have one hell of a venting blog about it.[/QUOTE]

I don't think we'll ever see All-Stars, since the NES versions are all out there and there wouldn't be much incentive to buy them if you could get all of them for $8.

Also, it's $21, since Lost Levels is 600, and for the record, the ideas in the previous post aren't exactly new ones. :lol:

I finally got around to watching the Strongbad video, and it looks good. I'm not sure if I'm sold on it enough for $10 an episode, but it's awfully tempting.

With the shitt we have been seeing I am fully expecting something like zelda for the 3do shortly. Or they could release something like bangai-o.

[quote name='Mr. 420']With the shitt we have been seeing I am fully expecting something like zelda for the 3do shortly. Or they could release something like bangai-o.[/QUOTE]

Speaking of 3DO, probably the only game I want from that is Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo. I don't understand why Capcom didn't release this game for the SNES/Genesis back then.

[quote name='Mr. 420']With the shitt we have been seeing I am fully expecting something like zelda for the 3do shortly. [/quote]

I might even download that to experience the crap and the strange, wayward path the Zelda franchise took.

[quote name='utopianmachine']I might even download that to experience the crap and the strange, wayward path the Zelda franchise took.[/QUOTE]

The only thing stopping that is that Nintendo seems to be pretending those games never happened. I don't think we'll ever see them released again, but I've been wrong before. :lol:

Nintendo is using their DS and Wii money to buy up every copy of the 3DO Zelda games. They're headed to the desert in New Mexico along with thousands of mint/complete copies of Earthbound. ET will have a new neighbor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back