Wii shortages? New productions numbers destroy previous estimates

[quote name='pop311']when does Q4 end? Dec31? also, is that 2million for North America alone, or the entire Earth?[/quote]
Gotta be NA, because the previous promise was 4 million worldwide by Dec 31... right? Can't remember. ;)

Q4 for Nintendo ends March 31st, fiscally speaking. That's why March has become such a huge month for gaming.

Edit: My five "great to classic" (ignoring Wii Sports of course) games are Zelda, Trauma Center, Elebits, Super Monkey Ball, and perhaps Excite Truck. Red Steel could be tossed out as a potential substitute for any of those games you don't like. Again, most of these lean more towards "great" rather then "classic", but there is still plenty to buy besides Zelda at launch. I wouldn't be surprised if some people passed on a launch game to buy $50 worth of Wii points just to download old games.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Funny. I'll be getting a Wii and waiting for the GC version, so there goes your prediction. ;)[/QUOTE]

Same here. So, um... there you go.

Why get the Gamecube version if you're getting a Wii?

And personally, I don't think any of the games listed, Trauma Center, Elebits, Super Monkey Ball, Excite Truck, will be anything close to classics. I'm mildly interested in all of those (especially Elebits), but I'm not really expecting much more than simple, gimicky games.

[quote name='Puppy']Why get the Gamecube version if you're getting a Wii?

And personally, I don't think any of the games listed, Trauma Center, Elebits, Super Monkey Ball, Excite Truck, will be anything close to classics. I'm mildly interested in all of those (especially Elebits), but I'm not really expecting much more than simple, gimicky games.[/quote]I can understand getting the GC version of TP, since it was created for the GC. I'm still getting the Wii version (or possibly both).

[quote name='Puppy']Why get the Gamecube version if you're getting a Wii?

And personally, I don't think any of the games listed, Trauma Center, Elebits, Super Monkey Ball, Excite Truck, will be anything close to classics. I'm mildly interested in all of those (especially Elebits), but I'm not really expecting much more than simple, gimicky games.[/QUOTE]

As far as I'm concerned, the first SMB and Trauma Center ARE classics. Like I said, I think most of these will lean towards great rather then classic. Having said that, I doubt any of these will score less then 8s to 9s though.

[quote name='Puppy']And personally, I don't think any of the games listed, Trauma Center, Elebits, Super Monkey Ball, Excite Truck, will be anything close to classics. I'm mildly interested in all of those (especially Elebits), but I'm not really expecting much more than simple, gimicky games.[/quote]

As furyk said, trauma center and super monkey ball are definitely established and at least monkey ball is already a classic.

If you seriously think Super Monkey Ball: BB will be gimmicky, you definitely haven't played any of the previous 2 on the cube. Those games are fantastic and with 50 minigames BB will be an even better party game and looks like it will be the best out of the series so far. It's basically Sega's new sonic since sonic games have been pretty shitty lately.

Excite Truck and Elebits could be the start of new franchises if they're done right, just because they're using a new control and having fun with it doesn't mean they're just gimmicky tech demos.

Well, personal preference thing. I *HATE* Super Monkey Ball 1 and 2. HATE HATE HATE HATE them with a passion. Heights and nitpicky gameplay, two things I hate stuck together. As bad as...well almost every Sonic game since the Genesis has been, I'd rather play Sonic Heroes or something than Monkey Ball.

Even still I’d probably consider a rental of the Wii version, just because it seems like the controller would be really neat for it-just tilt it to tilt the ball. Sounds a lot less frustrating then moving a stick.

[quote name='Puppy']Well, personal preference thing. I *HATE* Super Monkey Ball 1 and 2. HATE HATE HATE HATE them with a passion. Heights and nitpicky gameplay, two things I hate stuck together. As bad as...well almost every Sonic game since the Genesis has been, I'd rather play Sonic Heroes or something than Monkey Ball.

Even still I’d probably consider a rental of the Wii version, just because it seems like the controller would be really neat for it-just tilt it to tilt the ball.[/quote]

I didn't like Monkey Ball 1/2 either. Everyone here kept praising it, so I bought a GCN 2-pack for cheap. Barely played it. I sold it recently to pre-order my Wii.

That being said, I do want to try SMB BB. Maybe the new control scheme will change my mind about it or make it more fun.

As for some of the other games...

- If Trauma Center SO is even half as good as Trauma Center UTK, then it's already a must-have. There is no way that SO will not be a great game.

- Excite Truck looks pretty bland to me on video and screens. But people who have played it say its lots of fun. It seems like its turning out to be a sleeper hit, possible.

- Red Steel gets better with each and every new video and screenshot. I was on the fence about the game a while ago, but now I definitely have to have it, and I have a feeling that it'll be a must-have come launch day.

- Rayman just looks fun. Period. Doesn't look like it's going to be an AAA Zelda-caliber title, but it just looks fun, and that's all we really want.

- Elebits looks interesting. I really want to know more about the game. Its a game I'll look into more, but at this point, its not a must-have.

I think the Wii has a pretty darn good launch line-up. It's not the best, but it is far from the worst. I do hope that Nintendo and 3rd parties bring over some of the more obscure Japanese titles to the US.

[quote name='Puppy']Well, personal preference thing. I *HATE* Super Monkey Ball 1 and 2. HATE HATE HATE HATE them with a passion. Heights and nitpicky gameplay, two things I hate stuck together. As bad as...well almost every Sonic game since the Genesis has been, I'd rather play Sonic Heroes or something than Monkey Ball.

Even still I’d probably consider a rental of the Wii version, just because it seems like the controller would be really neat for it-just tilt it to tilt the ball. Sounds a lot less frustrating then moving a stick.[/QUOTE]

Ok, I absolutely hate the Final Fantasy series because it has a shit story and shit characters. I understand I'm in the minority opinion on this though, and I recognize that it is one of the most influential game series ever made. I hate World of Warcraft and all MMORPGs fundamentally, but I can recogize that they're good games. Saying that you hate Monkey Ball is one thing, but discrediting it as a game that might be must have for everyone else is a whole seperate thing. I don't know if you said that, but I tie my feelings and emotion to video games and you hurt them sir.

Sorry, didn't mean to, although I don't think Monkey Ball is anywhere near the level of a Zelda or Metroid of Final Fantasy or something in terms of selling systems.

I just hate falling off platforms in games, and I hate ultra hard gameplay, and SMB has both of those in force, so it's not for me (I love the graphics and theme though!)

[quote name='Puppy']Sorry, didn't mean to, although I don't think Monkey Ball is anywhere near the level of a Zelda or Metroid of Final Fantasy or something in terms of selling systems.

I just hate falling off platforms in games, and I hate ultra hard gameplay, and SMB has both of those in force, so it's not for me (I love the graphics and theme though!)[/QUOTE]
You're right that it isn't a system seller for most, but it is a great launch title for most who are buying due to Zelda, Red Steel, Wario Ware, or some other title. Super Monkey Ball was the first title I bought for my GC and I got so much play out of it (especially the mini-games). It's worth it for those alone, in my book.

As for the difficulty, I do agree that some later levels were a pain, but for the most part the early levels were pretty easy to pick up and play.

[quote name='elwood731']You're right that it isn't a system seller for most, but it is a great launch title for most who are buying due to Zelda, Red Steel, Wario Ware, or some other title. Super Monkey Ball was the first title I bought for my GC and I got so much play out of it (especially the mini-games). It's worth it for those alone, in my book.

[/QUOTE]

Exactly. SMB may not be a system seller but it is a fantastic companion game to pick up at a launch. Easy, fun, lighthearted and addictive gameplay. It's no Zelda or Mario, but if you are picking up a second game you can't go wrong with a Monkey Ball title.

Matt C(IGN) recently had this to say about SMB:BB ~
After two dedicated hours, I can tell you that the game is pretty awesome and I want every person who even remotely liked the previous titles -- excluding the terrible Super Monkey Ball Adventure, that is -- to go now and pre-order it. You will simply not be disappointed.

Look for my impressions -- and amazing new movies -- very soon. But in the meantime, dream of the monkey goodness, for it is vast and beautiful.

By the way, people who still say that the old games look better -- and I'm talking about visuals here -- you are blind. Banana Blitz is in a graphic league well beyond its predecessors.

I was mildly interested before, but this blog post has me thinking about picking it up at launch.

[quote name='Corvin']Exactly. SMB may not be a system seller but it is a fantastic companion game to pick up at a launch.[/QUOTE]

Watch those abbreviations. The other SMB sold quite a few NES's back in tha day. ;)

bread's done
Back