Wii surpases 360's sold worldwide

Monsta Mack

CAGiversary!
http://www.vgchartz.com/news/news.php?id=508

Looks like theres a typo stating tomorrow's date. Well the Wii has won the "next gen warz" for now, edging out the 360 and it took them a year less and several months to do it to boot.

Nintendo is swimming in not only cash now, but can say they have the number one next gen system.

Discuss.

I think it's pretty safe to say they'll come out on top this gen.

We've known this would happen since the first month of riddiculously-high Wii sales. We'll see what happens.

The fact remains: the Wii is not the same kind of system as the 360 and PS3. It shouldn't be considered "competition". The best I can hope for the Wii is that it gets the level, and the KIND, of dev support that the DS has.

faq.jpg

hooray!

[quote name='SNKMat']lol at vgchatz. coght nintedo fanboys[/quote]Laughing at the site is okay, though I hope you're not laughing at the numbers. Tomorrow's NPD will put it close in a more official way. But August 23 numbers won't be reflected until the August NPD in September.

VGchartz numbers are BS, but we all saw this coming. It was imminent this month, based on NPDs in past months they were VERY close. This month was just the tipping point.

[quote name='jer7583']VGchartz numbers are BS, but we all saw this coming. It was imminent this month, based on NPDs in past months they were VERY close. This month was just the tipping point.[/quote]

Exactly. VGchart"z" number's have never been anywhere near accurate. They had the 360 over 10 million for 3 months with not a single sales increase, yet the Wii mysteriously reaches some artificial milestone "in record time".

Congrats to Nintendo! Still, I wonder how long they can realistically keep up this pace. And as has been said multiple times already, I don't really trust VGChartz numbers very much.

Here are the numbers compiled by GAF:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=169308&highlight=takeover

Australia - 195,056
Europe - 3,000,000
Japan - 397,824
Canada - 403,500
US - 5,780,000

TOTAL - 9,777,280
_____

Wii

Australia - 138,192
Europe - 2,200,000
Japan - 3,285,081
Canada - 313,956
US - 3,190,000

TOTAL - 9,127,229
______

PS3

Australia: 66,503
Europe - 1,100,000
Japan - 1,041,978
Canada - 84,584
US - 1,450,000

TOTAL - 3,743,065

Sources (last update):
Japan - Media Create (August 9)
US - NPD (June numbers)
Canada - NPD (June numbers)
Australia - August 2007
Europe - NEEDS SOURCE

No sense fussing about it. Nintendo themselves said they are not looking to compete with MS or Sony.

Though probably not quite an apples-to-apples comparison, I see such discussions as similar to comparing pc sales to ps2 sales. Just because both can play video games does not mean they are directly competing.

Now, I won't pretend that I wouldn't love to see Nintendo give both companies a firm boot to the backside, but it's true, they're not competing directly. Gears of War is a 360 or PS3 game and the Wii is never going to be in the running for that kind of game. Vice versa for Wii Sports, etc (at least for now unless Sony or MS come out with a legitimate wiimote and support for it).

Glad to see Nintendo doing so well though.

weren't the last numbers MS released put the 360 at 11.6, when they announced 12 mil for Q2? I know it's inevitible, but I think the 360 sold more than 10.51 mil

[quote name='akilshohen']weren't the last numbers MS released put the 360 at 11.6, when they announced 12 mil for Q2? I know it's inevitible, but I think the 360 sold more than 10.51 mil[/quote]
Those were shipped. Not sold.

I hate to say it but VGChartz is oh so very wrong. Microsoft had sold 10.5 millin 360's after Christmas of 2006. VGChartz never changes the Microsoft numbers. Seriously, I wouldn't trust VGChartz for anything or that other "consolewars" one that is similiar to VGChartz (who also has drastically different numbers) ..

This has to be units shipped. Not that it matters much for the wii, but for the 360 and PS3 the difference is important as you can see plenty sitting on store shelves.

[quote name='Drico']I hate to say it but VGChartz is oh so very wrong. Microsoft had sold 10.5 millin 360's after Christmas of 2006. VGChartz never changes the Microsoft numbers. Seriously, I wouldn't trust VGChartz for anything or that other "consolewars" one that is similiar to VGChartz (who also has drastically different numbers) ..[/quote]Very much incorrect. See the numbers compiled in my previous post. Microsoft SHIPPED ~11 million consoles through the end of 2006. As of June, they had not yet broken 10 million sold.

Will be interesting to see if the 360 can take back the top spot when September numbers come out (middle of October) with the Halo push. Should be a fun back-and-forth the rest of the year.

I doubt there will be much of a Halo push. I would assume the vast majority of Halo fans already bought a 360 long ago. Any significant increase would most likely be because of the price drop, not because of Halo.

Expected, but I still feel the Wii will be short lived. It's a great transition system until the 360/PS3 become more practical options for developers/consumers.

and then, a new Super Mario game comes out. just being objective here-- Master Chief still hasn't quite attained "mario" status yet.

[quote name='dpatel']Expected, but I still feel the Wii will be short lived. It's a great transition system until the 360/PS3 become more practical options for developers/consumers.[/quote]

And just when do you figure this will happen? The console lifespan doesnt leave a long window for massive momentum shifts.

There must be a point in the next 3 or 4 years when you might consider conceding that this may not happen, if the trend remains unchanged.

For the first thing, a momentum to change at all would be unprecedented. Developers dont jump on board anything in year 3, 4 and 5.

While the debate can rage on about VGchartz methods it should be pointed out that there is general consensus is that there is a 2~3 million console lead for the 360 over the Wii in North America.

Still, good for Nintendo and whoo hoo for competition.

I think many gamers are buying either a PS3 & Wii combination or 360 & Wii combination (I decided to go with all three, mainly so I can get all the hd movies I want).

Even with Halo coming out, I don't think it'll push a million consoles for the month or something. Even so, Wii will still be leading by the end of the year. Plus, I hear extra Wii's will be in stock next month.

I don't understand why people aren't taking the Wii seriously. Even though one could argue that comparing the Wii to the 360/PS3 is comparing apples to oranges, you gotta remember that both apples and oranges are fruit.

Not only is it too soon to tell who will ultimately be the winner in terms of console sales, it's also too soon to tell if 3rd parties will ever stop using the Wii as a toilet.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']And just when do you figure this will happen? The console lifespan doesnt leave a long window for massive momentum shifts.

There must be a point in the next 3 or 4 years when you might consider conceding that this may not happen, if the trend remains unchanged.

For the first thing, a momentum to change at all would be unprecedented. Developers dont jump on board anything in year 3, 4 and 5.[/QUOTE]

Probably late 2009 or early 2010. I'm not claiming I am right, I just feel this will be the case. I believe I may have had this discussion with you before. If so, I don't really feel like going over it again. If you believe Wii will continue to go strong, that's fine. I'm not saying you're wrong or that I'm right, I just believe the Wii will lose out in the long run once the 360/PS3 come into their own.

Its just so painful to wait till the very end of a generation to say, yea, I dont think its going to change.

Or as they used to say in the Gamecube era, "Wait for ______"

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']Its just so painful to wait till the very end of a generation to say, yea, I dont think its going to change.

Or as they used to say in the Gamecube era, "Wait for ______"[/QUOTE]

Yea. Whether I am right, or wrong, nobody will care by that time.

I guess this doesn't surprise me, but I still can't believe Nintendo has kept these things flying off the shelves this long. With all their big guns staggered out over the next six months or so, it could stay that way, too.

I'll still be around to triumph or lament in the final standings, I assure you. The Wii is going to be the last home console I buy for a very, very long time, so I need developer support to be as robust as possible.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']I'll still be around to triumph or lament in the final standings, I assure you. The Wii is going to be the last home console I buy for a very, very long time, so I need developer support to be as robust as possible.[/QUOTE]

Same for me. I eventually want one just to play the first party titles. Finally get to play Smash Bros and Mario Kart online (something that should've happened last gen. Stupid useless broadband adapter that I bought for nothing. Ah well, netted me a nice profit on ebay).

[quote name='help1']Thats a whole lot of Wii's collecting dusts. I know mine is![/QUOTE]

Agreed. I've barely touched the thing for months... Unfortunately, the only upcoming games I have any real interest in are the first party titles coming out later this year. The Wii is a novel and exciting idea, but I'm growing concerned that only Nintendo is going to really capitalize on the technology.

[quote name='Apossum']and then, a new Super Mario game comes out. just being objective here-- Master Chief still hasn't quite attained "mario" status yet.[/quote]
Well, I think you can make a case either way. MS could catch up to Nintendo just because MS might be able to ship more.

[quote name='help1']Thats a whole lot of Wii's collecting dusts. I know mine is![/QUOTE]

Your statement shows your lack of taste. Nobody who owns a Wii and has a cubic centimeter of good taste could say such a thing this week, with Super Metroid being available.

Sold vs shipped numbers are bunk. What we're talking about is cumulative NPD data, which is the only real hard 3rd party data available about how many systems have been sold. According to that, the Wii is poised to overtake or nearly match the 360 this month.

Of course, the people who still don't take Wii seriously will just disregard those and go with MS numbers. Fine, be in denial. The Wii is here to stay, like it or not. None of your halos or lairs or big budget blockbusters are going to change that. Wii Fit takes all challengers. Mario Galaxy and SSBB wipe up what's left.

[quote name='jer7583']Your statement shows your lack of taste. Nobody who owns a Wii and has a cubic centimeter of good taste could say such a thing this week, with Super Metroid being available.
[/QUOTE]
Stop that.

VC games should not count towards a systems "must have/awesome" games.

If that was the case, the PS3 would be blowing everyone out the water with all the great games on the PS1/PS2.

I make an exception for Super Metroid. What console that has Super Metroid has ever not been awesome? Really. ;)

[quote name='zewone']Stop that.

VC games should not count towards a systems "must have/awesome" games.

If that was the case, the PS3 would be blowing everyone out the water with all the great games on the PS1/PS2.[/quote]

You mean the Playstation Network? The one where they keep recalling games because they don't work properly? The fact is that there are a load of good games hitting the Wii this fall and winter. Four of them are bound to be considered triple A - Metroid, Mario Galaxy, Brawl, and Zack and Wiki (regardless of how much this last one interests people).

[quote name='Zen Davis']You mean the Playstation Network? The one where they keep recalling games because they don't work properly? The fact is that there are a load of good games hitting the Wii this fall and winter. Four of them are bound to be considered triple A - Metroid, Mario Galaxy, Brawl, and Zack and Wiki (regardless of how much this last one interests people).[/QUOTE]
No. I don't mean the Playstation Network.

[quote name='jer7583']Wii Fit takes all challengers. Mario Galaxy and SSBB wipe up what's left.[/QUOTE]

Wii Fit is an interesting idea, but only if properly utilized. The sad truth is that it's very likely to end up as yet another high-potential, under-used expensive peripheral.

Mario Galaxy and SSBB are both games I'll be buying on their respective release dates. They'll both undoubtedly be terrific games, and that's all well and good, but these titles, being published by Nintendo, don't address my primary concern: third-party developers are for the most part not creating worthwhile titles for the system.

Rather than using the Wii's technology to create creative and original, never-before-seen experiences, for many third-party developers the Wii has been relegated to a dumping ground for "Shitty PS2/XBox Port X with Tacked on Wii Remote Controls" and "Shitty, Unoriginal Mini-Game Collection Y." These titles are clearly crafted for making a quick buck by capitalizing on the "party" aspects of the machine, rather than providing solid experiences that build company loyalty and pull new users to the system. To be fair, I'd argue that the behavior of external developers isn't by fault of Nintendo.

With the install base growing, there's definitely a lot to capitalize on if developers are willing to take a chance with an innovative title or solid new intellectual property, but innovation doesn't sell as well as a blockbuster, high budget game backed by a powerhouse graphics engine and marketing hype, and the Wii was not built (in the eyes of developers) to provide a foundation for those types of games. I'm worried because the games I'm looking to purchase for the console are all produced by Nintendo--I'm not really seeing any third-party software that I feel warrants purchase, and I'd be very curious to see the software attachment rate of the Wii versus that of the 360 and PS3.

Don't get me wrong, I don't see the Wii's sales trend slowing any time soon, but I think that third-party support (and lack thereof) presents a legitimate risk to the ultimate success of the system.

I dont think anyone will be able to compete with the 360 attach rate. The way their community works is fantastic for software sales.

The competing platforms arent built around online as much, so they have no hope of achieving that kind of uniformity.

bread's done
Back