Wii U Deluxe $296 + ~$10 Shipping

[quote name='bobphone']Why wouldn't someone buy it? It's $50 off a console that's about to get a lot of great games.[/QUOTE]

good joke

Still waiting for that under $250 range.

Bayonneta 2, Wind Waker HD,Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101, Xenoblade game are all still great titles to look forward to.

I think the Wii U is still a good system, just a bit over priced for what it offers. Launching at $250 would have been a better option, but Nintendo insisted on the tablet which is the most expensive part of the system and the reason why they can't drop the price without taking a hit.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']

I think the Wii U is still a good system, just a bit over priced for what it offers. Launching at $250 would have been a better option, but Nintendo insisted on the tablet which is the most expensive part of the system and the reason why they can't drop the price without taking a hit.[/QUOTE]

They are taking hits regardless. At current MSRP, no one's buying. If they lower MSRP, more people would buy but they lose money on each console sold. The latter however is still the proper way of doing business as they could recoup money from software/accessory sold, just like MS/Sony does every console launch. The problem with Wii U is it's really just a current gen system but more expensive than the established current gen systems and far less titles to play. The choice for consumers are obvious. Get well established console or wait for the real next gen later this year. Nintendo needs to drop the MSRP on Wii U asap before it's too late.

Nintendo direct tomorrow and it's focused on the Wii U. Gets your butts ready, Nintendo bout to go HAM

[quote name='Twitter']Nintendo direct tomorrow and it's focused on the Wii U. Gets your butts ready, Nintendo bout to go HAM[/QUOTE]

They are not going to announce anything new tomorrow. Just the stuff already announced. IE. Game&Wario, Wii Fit U, Wii Play U, and Pikmen 3 . They may show off Wind Waker HD, though I expect that will be released in the Fall and Beyond, which is what the ND right before E3 is suppose to be about.

Anything new will be announced right before E3. So no real "hype" yet.

Wii U already got a good amount of my play time and I am super excited of what is coming down the pipeline, more so than any other console.

Nintendo is imo really on a roll with games that appeal to me so far. Got it day 1 and do not regret it one bit. It is slick.

[quote name='wasabi5858']Wii U already got a good amount of my play time and I am super excited of what is coming down the pipeline, more so than any other console.

Nintendo is imo really on a roll with games that appeal to me so far. Got it day 1 and do not regret it one bit. It is slick.[/QUOTE]

Which games are you playing on your WiiU? (no ports) I thought it only had Mario and ZombiU.

[quote name='Remoe']Which games are you playing on your WiiU? (no ports) I thought it only had Mario and ZombiU.[/QUOTE]

You won't get a response from the guy you quoted because there aren't any more exclusives at the moment. Even the once exclusive Ninja Gaiden 3 RE is no longer a Nintendo exclusive title.

Edit: There actually are couple more that are recent. LEGO City Undercover and Tank Tank Tank.

[quote name='MPoWeRM3']They are taking hits regardless. At current MSRP, no one's buying. If they lower MSRP, more people would buy but they lose money on each console sold. The latter however is still the proper way of doing business as they could recoup money from software/accessory sold, just like MS/Sony does every console launch. [/QUOTE]

There is no way you can compare Nintendo's situation to Microsoft and Sony. Both of the latter companies have other divisions that rake in profit, so both of them have the luxury of being able to sell their hardware at a loss to acquire that install base. Obviously Nintendo only makes games, and as such, can't afford to initially lose money on the console like Microsoft and Sony can. Of course, I have no clue how much money they make of console sales compared to game/peripheral sales, but I imagine the profit from each console sale is more significant than you think because if it wasn't, I'm sure Nintendo would have released the Wii U at a lower price point. They've been around this long for a reason.

Now, whether or not the inclusion of the tablet was a wise decision, that's all opinion-based and can be debated in circles.

[quote name='Remoe']Which games are you playing on your WiiU? (no ports) I thought it only had Mario and ZombiU.[/QUOTE]

You are getting a response! Monster Hunter + LEGO for my play time on wii u. not sure if you would count MH since it is essentially a HD expansion of MH Tri.

just for kicks, on PS3 I am all about Project Diva F. I don't bother hooking up my 360 so yeah... a good portion of my play time is on Wii U.

The Wii U hate is really old at this point. In a year if it still has no games and isn't selling, then yeah, it's in trouble. Grow up, people.

[quote name='ARsignal11']There is no way you can compare Nintendo's situation to Microsoft and Sony. Both of the latter companies have other divisions that rake in profit, so both of them have the luxury of being able to sell their hardware at a loss to acquire that install base. Obviously Nintendo only makes games, and as such, can't afford to initially lose money on the console like Microsoft and Sony can. Of course, I have no clue how much money they make of console sales compared to game/peripheral sales, but I imagine the profit from each console sale is more significant than you think because if it wasn't, I'm sure Nintendo would have released the Wii U at a lower price point. They've been around this long for a reason.

Now, whether or not the inclusion of the tablet was a wise decision, that's all opinion-based and can be debated in circles.[/QUOTE]

Nintendo makes endless money off merchandising not only their popular IPs, but they also sell other stuff such as playing cards (not a big money maker I suppose).

They also have over a billion dollars sitting around, so they are quite comfy, and could have easily taken a hit on the Wii U's hardware like Sony did with PS2 and PS3, losing close to $300 per system sold (!) early in those console lives. But they got cocky from the Wii selling amazingly well in it's first 3.5 years.

But that's the interesting thing about the gaming industry, just because you're on top now, doesn't mean crap when the next round of consoles goes on sale. It keeps things exciting, dontcha think?

[quote name='ARsignal11']There is no way you can compare Nintendo's situation to Microsoft and Sony. Both of the latter companies have other divisions that rake in profit, so both of them have the luxury of being able to sell their hardware at a loss to acquire that install base. Obviously Nintendo only makes games, and as such, can't afford to initially lose money on the console like Microsoft and Sony can. Of course, I have no clue how much money they make of console sales compared to game/peripheral sales, but I imagine the profit from each console sale is more significant than you think because if it wasn't, I'm sure Nintendo would have released the Wii U at a lower price point. They've been around this long for a reason.

Now, whether or not the inclusion of the tablet was a wise decision, that's all opinion-based and can be debated in circles.[/QUOTE]

Actually Sony has taken a hit the last few years, so they are in a situation where the PS4 will most likely be sold at break even cost or a small profit. The Vita did not sell at a loss at launch either I believe (correct me If I'm wrong). Microsoft would probably do well to profit or break even as well to appease shareholders either way.

Nintendo literally PRINTS MONEY! Infact that comment looks a bit crazy when you look at this! NINTENDO HAS 10.5 BILLION IN THEIR BANK!

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2012/03/nintendo_reportedly_has_8128_billion_yen_in_the_bank

[quote name='bobphone']Why wouldn't someone buy it? It's $50 off a console that's about to get a lot of great games.[/QUOTE]Because I want to play NSMBU, and... that's about it. Otherwise, I am guessing I'll be waiting a few months before I'll have much of anything else to play. Seems like it would make more sense to wait until the relaunch, like I did with the 3DS, before I buy it.

Granted, I will say this. For me, $300 is certainly at the right asking price, and this is one of the few sites that does not charge me sales tax (being from CA), but at the same time, the shipping charge does eat into some of those savings.

Why no ports. If he's playing them isn't his Wii U getting play time?

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Actually Sony has taken a hit the last few years, so they are in a situation where the PS4 will most likely be sold at break even cost or a small profit. The Vita did not sell at a loss at launch either I believe (correct me If I'm wrong). Microsoft would probably do well to profit or break even as well to appease shareholders either way.

Nintendo literally PRINTS MONEY! Infact that comment looks a bit crazy when you look at this! NINTENDO HAS 10.5 BILLION IN THEIR BANK!

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2012/03/nintendo_reportedly_has_8128_billion_yen_in_the_bank[/QUOTE]

That is a very interesting fact. I would love to see similar values from Sony and Microsoft so we can compare and contrast. Sure, you have that money in the bank. But its not like one would plan to use that money. I'm sure all of those assets are there for a multitude of precautionary reasons and the like. Not to mention that in the end, Nintendo is a business. And after all, businesses are out to make money. :D

Really at this point the Basic Wii U should be around $200 and the Deluxe $250, but that still doesn't solve the problem of games, nor does it make that awkward table controller more attractive. Too bad Nintendo put so much resources into the gamepad, and so little into the console itself; they severely limited the life if the system by doing that.

[quote name='chimpmeister']Really at this point the Basic Wii U should be around $200 and the Deluxe $250, but that still doesn't solve the problem of games, nor does it make that awkward table controller more attractive. Too bad Nintendo put so much resources into the gamepad, and so little into the console itself; they severely limited the life if the system by doing that.[/QUOTE]

They've always been just a gaming company that puts fun factor over graphics and extra features. Thus it explains the Wii phenomenon and it's why Sony & Microsoft can have a blu ray player and entertainment apps. They aren't interested in following the trend. Their stubbornness could be their down fall as it's a double edged sword

[quote name='malethief']They've always been just a gaming company that puts fun factor over graphics and extra features. Thus it explains the Wii phenomenon and it's why Sony & Microsoft can have a blu ray player and entertainment apps. They aren't interested in following the trend. Their stubbornness could be their down fall as it's a double edged sword[/QUOTE]

actually having some games would definitely add to the "fun factor"

[quote name='chimpmeister']Really at this point the Basic Wii U should be around $200 and the Deluxe $250, but that still doesn't solve the problem of games, nor does it make that awkward table controller more attractive. Too bad Nintendo put so much resources into the gamepad, and so little into the console itself; they severely limited the life if the system by doing that.[/QUOTE]
yeah, i agree. they are going to have to drop the price, in order to sell more consoles. Especially with the next gen console coming / releasing by the end of this year, or early next year.

[quote name='bobphone']The Wii U hate is really old at this point. In a year if it still has no games and isn't selling, then yeah, it's in trouble. Grow up, people.[/QUOTE]

cough cough VITA cough cough

I wouldn't touch a Wii U at this point, when Nintendo is forced to compete with the PS4 and Durango this holiday season, I'm pretty sure there will be deals that make this deal look silly. And with only 4 exclusives out, and none forthcoming, I see no reason not to wait. Just my 2 pennies.

[quote name='RiPPn']I wouldn't touch a Wii U at this point, when Nintendo is forced to compete with the PS4 and Durango this holiday season, I'm pretty sure there will be deals that make this deal look silly. And with only 4 exclusives out, and none forthcoming, I see no reason not to wait. Just my 2 pennies.[/QUOTE]I would not that far. $300 will be probably just be the official price point. Now, will there be better deals? Probably. I could see Nintendo doing a bundle with a game (instead or addition to Nintendo Land), like the 3DS, and of course, there will always be sales, discounts, gift cards, and such, like the 3DS.

Like others have stated previously, the same old Wii U hate statements are getting old. If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. This isn't a "Wii U sucks or not" debate thread, it's about the deal and that's all. I'm sure your opinion will be valued in a thread somewhere in here.... http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=65

Deal doesn't seem bad if you are in a hurry to get one, but I expect better ones when the holiday season rolls around.

[quote name='Serious McMopy']I would not that far. $300 will be probably just be the official price point. Now, will there be better deals? Probably. I could see Nintendo doing a bundle with a game (instead or addition to Nintendo Land), like the 3DS, and of course, there will always be sales, discounts, gift cards, and such, like the 3DS.[/QUOTE]

I think we'll see a 250 price point this holiday. Reason being 300 Wii U or 300 Xbox subsidized price? People won't buy the Wii U. Nintendo is going to price under that subsidized number.

[quote name='Deader2818']I feel bad for anyone that falls for a subsidized xbox.[/QUOTE]

Depending on the terms it could be a good deal. Even if its not a good deal I'm sure a ton of people will buy it subsidized. I really do think Wii U price will be 50 lower than the subsidized price.

$300 base with payments of $14.99 over 2 years = $360 so $660 bucks?

No, its not a good deal. Im sure the hardcore xbox fans without money will fall for it. I doubt millions will flock to that. esp people that have active live subscriptions.

But really, this debate is just boring now as its talked about every, freaking, time a Wii U deal is posted.

At this point, just leave it alone and wait till holiday to see if anything happens. Bringing it up every time isn't going to make it happen any faster.

[quote name='Deader2818']$300 base with payments of $14.99 over 2 years = $360 so $660 bucks?

No, its not a good deal. Im sure the hardcore xbox fans without money will fall for it. I doubt millions will flock to that. esp people that have active live subscriptions.[/QUOTE]

The rumor I saw was 10 a month which makes the subsidized price very good. So that's why i said it depends on the terms.

I saw that rumor as well and the source clarified later that it was actually 15 a month.

Likely won't know till E3. I doubt Microsoft makes it $10 as that really doesn't make them money.

[quote name='Minions']They are not going to announce anything new tomorrow. Just the stuff already announced. IE. Game&Wario, Wii Fit U, Wii Play U, and Pikmen 3 . They may show off Wind Waker HD, though I expect that will be released in the Fall and Beyond, which is what the ND right before E3 is suppose to be about.

Anything new will be announced right before E3. So no real "hype" yet.[/QUOTE]

Nintendo won't have a conference at E3. 2-3 Nintendo Directs ago they announced a lot of new 3DS games. I don't see why you're so confident they won't announce anything new. I think the Wii U is selling so poorly I would be VERY surprised if they didn't announce new games or showed off a game that's announced but not shown yet.

The console will likely be discontinued shortly and sent to clearance bins (e.g., Virtual Boy), so it's not even worth 150 at this point. Sales has been abysmal and EA today has officially dropped all support for the Wii U.

[quote name='rumblebear']The console will likely be discontinued shortly and sent to clearance bins (e.g., Virtual Boy), so it's not even worth 150 at this point. Sales has been abysmal and EA today has officially dropped all support for the Wii U.[/QUOTE]

derp.

I don't see it getting discontinued, but I can see a v2.0 being released fixing battery life and other issues with the system and maybe adding features kind of like what the XL did for the 3DS.

[quote name='RiPPn']I don't see it getting discontinued, but I can see a v2.0 being released fixing battery life and other issues with the system and maybe adding features kind of like what the XL did for the 3DS.[/QUOTE]XL was a godsend. I can never go back to the normal size handhelds after playing it. So much better.

Anyhow, I'll certainly keep this site in mind. It's one of the few sites I have seen that does not charge me sales tax, and when the Wii U relaunch happens, there's a good chance it's where I'll buy my Wii U, regardless.

[quote name='Deader2818']I saw that rumor as well and the source clarified later that it was actually 15 a month.

Likely won't know till E3. I doubt Microsoft makes it $10 as that really doesn't make them money.[/QUOTE]

Even at 15 its not a horrible deal at 660 assuming you want a gold membership. It's only 40 more than 2 years of gold at retail price which I assume most gamers pay. Then when you assume about $10 less sales tax since that doesn't apply to the subsidized part, its only $30 more than buying it outright + 2 yr gold at full price. Most Americans pay more than that in a month for credit card interest so in terms of finance costs its not that bad.

Regardless of the price final price, the subsidy is going to have a downward pressure on console prices.

Eh, I still have my Wii U Deluxe unopened sitting on my floor, shows you how excited I am to open it. Though I do want to play Zombi U sometime.

bread's done
Back