Wii U - General Discussion Thread

spaboolly said:
Thanks, but that's really not at all what I was getting at or something that would benefit my overall condition. Doing some forearm curls doesn't particularly help with core muscles, especially with muscles that are weakened or atrophied. For reference, I am not currently physically capable of performing the exercises I need to (say, sit ups to strengthen the abdominal muscles), which is why I was asking more about the yoga/cardio parts of it (should have been more clear about that) because yoga can help at least stretch the muscles without being overly work intensive. Problem is, I don't know how to do it, or have any good means of teaching it to myself at the moment.
I'm not interested in getting strong. I'm interested in getting healthy, or at least healthier. It has nothing to do with how much I can lift or how I look. Which is why I was curious how much Wii Fit U could help with that, hard to tell since of course in our society the ads are almost exclusively focused on weight loss.

I appreciate the advice, but I was just curious about the game. I guess I should have been more clear about what my intentions were, but I didn't want to post too many personal details.
Sorry I haven't read this thread in a while. But yeah, I'd think for your situation Wii Fit U would be perfect. It is a little too lightweight for people who work out regularly. But I can tell you I just did a few of the less strenuous things and it can certainly give you a workout. I haven't been on it in a while though I have been wearing the meter pretty much every day. I should check in with it soon just to make sure all that data gets transferred. I'm not sure how much it will hold.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got a lot of controllers, Mario Kart Wii wheels, and other accessories in plastic boxes behind my TV.  It stores them but I don't care for it being out like that.  What does everyone do with their accessories?  Any suggestions for a side table with storage in it?  My preference would be something with a door that can store accessories and a drawer on top that has a charging station for phones/3DS's/tablets/etc.  I'm not even sure if something like that exists.

Here's the GBA lineup for April in the Wii U eShop:

• Advance Wars (€6.99/£6.29/$7.99) - April 3

• Metroid Fusion (€6.99/£6.29/$7.99) - April 3

• Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga (€6.99/£6.29/$7.99) - April 3

• WarioWare Inc.: Minigame Mania (€6.99/£6.29/$6.99) - April 10

• Kirby: The Amazing Mirror (€6.99/£6.29/$6.99) - April 10

• Golden Sun (€6.99/£6.29/$7.99) - April 17

• F-Zero: Maximum Velocity (€6.99/£6.29/$6.99) - April 17

• Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3 (€6.99/£6.29/$7.99) - April 24

I never played M&L: SS, so I'll definitely pick that up.

EDIT: Huh. I just noticed they're not all the same price, for us at least.

I might get Metroid Fusion.  Aside from that I don't see anything that interests me.  Maybe Golden Sun but those old formulaic JRPG's are getting tiresome to me.

None of these games will have multiplayer features, as I said in the other topic. Just something to keep in mind.
Which is odd when you think about it. There are 2 screens after all. It's like they're just putting these games out on the cheap in order to create a phony release schedule since they've got like 1 game every other month coming out.

I love Fire Emblem but the only SMT game I have played is SMTIV on the 3DS. I didn't care for it enough to finish it. So I'm a little wary of what to expect.

Anyone else getting hyped for Mario Kart 8? The game looks amazing especially in some of the recent gameplay trailers.  For me personally it's more interesting and more fun than anything else announced so far this year on any platform.  Finally a reason to get excited for next gen. 

Anyone else getting hyped for Mario Kart 8? The game looks amazing especially in some of the recent gameplay trailers. For me personally it's more interesting and more fun than anything else announced so far this year on any platform. Finally a reason to get excited for next gen.
I couldn't get too into MK7, and I'm still getting super hyped for 8. Everything about it looks pretty amazing so far.

I couldn't get too into MK7, and I'm still getting super hyped for 8. Everything about it looks pretty amazing so far.
I had the opposite. I was pretty excited about MK8--it was one of the reasons I hadn't sold the Wii U sooner than I did. But then I impulse bought MK7 on 3DS and was reminded that I just don't enjoy the series anymore. It was only every fun for me back in high school and college when it was easy and common to get 3 or 4 people together for local MP. The single player has always been frustrating with rubber band AI, blue shells etc., and I just don't find it a fun online game.

It does look amazing though for people that still like the series--be it they don't have my gripes, like the online or have family or friends get together for local MP regularly. So definitely not a knock on the game. Just part of my slow realization through my disappointments with the Wii and Wii U that Nintendo is just making the same types of games and gaming experiences I liked through my childhood and college, and not the type of gaming experiences I like now in my 30s--no local MP and strong preference for narrative-driven single player games with realistic graphics styles.

I had the opposite. I was pretty excited about MK8--it was one of the reasons I hadn't sold the Wii U sooner than I did. But then I impulse bought MK7 on 3DS and was reminded that I just don't enjoy the series anymore. It was only every fun for me back in high school and college when it was easy and common to get 3 or 4 people together for local MP. The single player has always been frustrating with rubber band AI, blue shells etc., and I just don't find it a fun online game.

It does look amazing though for people that still like the series--be it they don't have my gripes, like the online or have family or friends get together for local MP regularly. So definitely not a knock on the game. Just part of my slow realization through my disappointments with the Wii and Wii U that Nintendo is just making the same types of games and gaming experiences I liked through my childhood and college, and not the type of gaming experiences I like now in my 30s--no local MP and strong preference for narrative-driven single player games with realistic graphics styles.
I absolutely understand that. Honestly, if I were in the same situation I was while playing 7, I imagine I would feel the same. These kind of games definitely thrive on local multiplayer, and I know that's pretty hard to come by anymore. I got pretty lucky stumbling onto a little scene of dudes here who are always down for Smash and other shit, so I'm sure that's helping to fuel the fire for this one.

I do not understand the push for gba on wii u vc. Nintendo has already released a device for you to play gba games on the tv. The gba itself is a handheld, so you are not filling a need there. And, the games are not that old. Yes, you can not find them at Walmart, but there are many stores that have a bunch of gba games for sale.

Why gba and not N64? You can not play N64 games without tying up a tv. Why not push the offscreen aspect of the wii u gamepad with N64 titles? I would much rather buy those games again since I am getting something new with them. What are we getting new with gba games?

I do not understand the push for gba on wii u vc. Nintendo has already released a device for you to play gba games on the tv. The gba itself is a handheld, so you are not filling a need there. And, the games are not that old. Yes, you can not find them at Walmart, but there are many stores that have a bunch of gba games for sale.

Why gba and not N64? You can not play N64 games without tying up a tv. Why not push the offscreen aspect of the wii u gamepad with N64 titles? I would much rather buy those games again since I am getting something new with them. What are we getting new with gba games?
People have been clamoring for GBA games for a long time. This way, if you want to play them, you will need a Wii U. Just another way to push the console.

People have been clamoring for GBA games for a long time. This way, if you want to play them, you will need a Wii U. Just another way to push the console.
Really? If I wanted to play gba games, I would track down a gba sp and the carts for a fraction of the cost of a wii u. I mean, are people really going to buy a wii u for gba games?

Ugh.  I bought A Link to the Past on the WiiU VC last night against all better judgment.  My son really really really wanted to play it and for some reason the SNES version hooked up in the basement to the 19" TV wasn't good enough.  His grammie gave him some money for doing chores around the house so he gave it to me so I'd buy the game.  It is at least the 4th time I've paid for that game, including full price of $50 back in 1992.  I feel so dirty.

Really? If I wanted to play gba games, I would track down a gba sp and the carts for a fraction of the cost of a wii u. I mean, are people really going to buy a wii u for gba games?
Yeah, I think it's more just a way to through disgruntled Wii U owners some more VC offerings. But even that is silly since the selection of actual Wii U VC games (i.e. not Wii mode VC) is so paltry already and people would rather have more N64, SNES etc. games than GBA probably.

Some GBA games are really expensive these days. Second hand stores here charge almost full, new price for GBA games, and that is if you get lucky. Not to mention games that are more rare that go for more money. As far as cartridge only games, you are looking at, at least $15 per game or more. But I bet this will really put a dent in the second hand market prices for these things.  Between that and earthbound you might as well buy a Wii U if you want to play this stuff because you will be getting the latest system and you will probably save money especially if you can get a deal on the system.

Personally I just don't think old handheld games are worth playing these days, as there are so many other games taking up my time, I don't really want to go back and play something that I have already played.

Well I haven't played them all of course, but if I wanted to play them, I would have played them when they came out. Though honestly this is the first generation I can say this for.  Old handheld games especially on a console, they just don't age well. Between the DS and 3DS I have access to many more games than I can play in a lifetime and a lot that I want to play, this means GBA games that I haven't yet played ultimately are going to get the shaft when it comes to handheld games. I also own the gameboy player for gamecube, so again, I don't really have a reason to buy these. Just to play what I own now out of the DS ad 3DS lineup (and what I haven't yet played or purchased) will take me several years, and its only like 20 games or less and this doesn't include future releases that I want to play. Now games like NES, SNES, and other old console games, those are different, as they seem to age better, and they seem to get more love in general.

Though I can say advance wars, mario & luigi and metroid fusion are all probably worth $8 each.

Same, I prefer story/narrative driven games to game mechanics type games with cookie cutter stories like the Mario's (and many other Nintendo games which tend to be narrative light). It's a problem I have with a lot of JRPG's, it was my favorite genre on the SNES but now I try to only play the ones that are the best on the generation because the majority of them are cliche ridden pile's. Honestly, I have a ton of downloadable games on my 360 (over 100) and I've played about half of them through to the end. Of the other half, I played some and realized I wasn't interested and the rest I bought (or got free with games with gold) and never plan on playing now. That said, my daughter is 5 and should be able to play Mario Kart with me now. My son is 3 and I could throw him a controller and let him spin in circles so I could play those games with the kids and let them have fun. There's still a reason for me to own a Wii U and I'm downloading some of the classics from when I was a kid for them to play and enjoy (preferably off screen play).

I guess the fun and excitment of making precision jumps from one platform to another with "puff piece" stories wore off as I turned into an old man.

Well I haven't played them all of course, but if I wanted to play them, I would have played them when they came out. Though honestly this is the first generation I can say this for. Old handheld games especially on a console, they just don't age well. Between the DS and 3DS I have access to many more games than I can play in a lifetime and a lot that I want to play, this means GBA games that I haven't yet played ultimately are going to get the shaft when it comes to handheld games. I also own the gameboy player for gamecube, so again, I don't really have a reason to buy these. Just to play what I own now out of the DS ad 3DS lineup (and what I haven't yet played or purchased) will take me several years, and its only like 20 games or less and this doesn't include future releases that I want to play. Now games like NES, SNES, and other old console games, those are different, as they seem to age better, and they seem to get more love in general.

Though I can say advance wars, mario & luigi and metroid fusion are all probably worth $8 each.
I actually have a GBA SP but I only used it with Zelda Wind Waker attached to the GameCube. I never played any of the games so I'm buying a few now, that Metroid Fusion looks pretty good for example. I also bought the Mario and Luigi. I'm not so sure about Advance Wars, it looks bad so I'm waiting on opinions.

I also bought Dr Mario for $5 then Dr Luigi for $10. I said here a few months ago that I was waiting on a deal, this isn't great since I played Dr. Mario before but what the hell, a free old game for plyaing the new sequel? That sounds fine.

Same, I prefer story/narrative driven games to game mechanics type games with cookie cutter stories like the Mario's (and many other Nintendo games which tend to be narrative light). It's a problem I have with a lot of JRPG's, it was my favorite genre on the SNES but now I try to only play the ones that are the best on the generation because the majority of them are cliche ridden pile's. Honestly, I have a ton of downloadable games on my 360 (over 100) and I've played about half of them through to the end. Of the other half, I played some and realized I wasn't interested and the rest I bought (or got free with games with gold) and never plan on playing now. That said, my daughter is 5 and should be able to play Mario Kart with me now. My son is 3 and I could throw him a controller and let him spin in circles so I could play those games with the kids and let them have fun. There's still a reason for me to own a Wii U and I'm downloading some of the classics from when I was a kid for them to play and enjoy (preferably off screen play).

I guess the fun and excitment of making precision jumps from one platform to another with "puff piece" stories wore off as I turned into an old man.

I actually have a GBA SP but I only used it with Zelda Wind Waker attached to the GameCube. I never played any of the games so I'm buying a few now, that Metroid Fusion looks pretty good for example. I also bought the Mario and Luigi. I'm not so sure about Advance Wars, it looks bad so I'm waiting on opinions.

I also bought Dr Mario for $5 then Dr Luigi for $10. I said here a few months ago that I was waiting on a deal, this isn't great since I played Dr. Mario before but what the hell, a free old game for plyaing the new sequel? That sounds fine.
Advance Wars is generally considered one of the very best games on the GBA, #5 overall on metacritic if that holds any meaning for you. It is a turn-based strategy game though, so your level of enjoyment greatly depends on your interest in the genre.

Advance Wars is generally considered one of the very best games on the GBA, #5 overall on metacritic if that holds any meaning for you. It is a turn-based strategy game though, so your level of enjoyment greatly depends on your interest in the genre.
I do like civilization. I hate Final Fantasy tactics. Which of those is it like?

There are so many good gba games. If you already have a wii u and missed out on gba, then these releases are great for you. If you are like me and still have a gba and the carts, it is not so great. It's not like I have to hook up another console to play these games. The gba is small enough to leave out and not packed away.

There are so many good gba games. If you already have a wii u and missed out on gba, then these releases are great for you. If you are like me and still have a gba and the carts, it is not so great. It's not like I have to hook up another console to play these games. The gba is small enough to leave out and not packed away.
Also the GBA has a resolution of 240x160, which is fine on a tiny screen (I still have my GBA SP, backlit version, original GBA was garbage with a dim, unusable screen). These games really aren't going to look good on a large TV screen. Seems like Nintendo really isn't thinking things out well, by concentrating on older, low-res handheld games for Wii U, instead of their previous console games. If I wanted to play GBA games, I'd just play them on an actual GBA, not a TV.

Also the GBA has a resolution of 240x160, which is fine on a tiny screen (I still have my GBA SP, backlit version, original GBA was garbage with a dim, unusable screen). These games really aren't going to look good on a large TV screen. Seems like Nintendo really isn't thinking things out well, by concentrating on older, low-res handheld games for Wii U, instead of their previous console games. If I wanted to play GBA games, I'd just play them on an actual GBA, not a TV.
I'd rather have them on 3DS so they could have a reason to update the Ambassador games to make use of save state stuff. Plus, they're handheld games that would fit better on a handheld.

The GBA games would likely look better than the DS games.
Why? Nintendo DS resolution is 256x192, which is a bit better than the GBA resolution (240x160). Games for either system aren't going to look good on a TV, but as Frisky pointed out, they'd be much better on the 3DS. 3DS resolution is 800x240, but that actually breaks down to 400x240 per eye due to the 3D effect, so for 2D games it would be 400x240.

However, if you meant that the 2D style of GBA games would look better than the 3D style of DS games (on a TV), I tend to agree.

Yea, the latter is what I was going for. DS's polygon games are ugly as hell on the small screen. On the big screen, which wasn't too bad with the Pokemon games way back when, GBA games would be better.

I don't have a Wii U, would it work to have both DS screens on a Wii U's gamepad? 

Still hoping for a DS player and finally be able to play my DS games on a big screen TV, even to go as far as re-buying my DS games digitally off of the Wii U's Virtual Console.

I'm not so sure about Advance Wars, it looks bad so I'm waiting on opinions.
Just another person chiming in about Advance Wars, as I'm currently playing through Advance Wars 2, it's definitely a top notch series. In comparison to FFT, it really holds almost nothing in common, other than your units move in grids, attack in turns, and the terrain affects your movement and defense.

There is no XP, there are no items / equipment, there is no magic (well, besides the CO powers), it's just straight up strategy with unit counters, simple yet effective resource management, and decisive attack coordination. It's more closer in line with games like Command and Conquer, just not in real time.

Basically Intelligent Systems just streamlined the experience that they do best, which created a very addicting and accessible game at the same time.

Just another person chiming in about Advance Wars, as I'm currently playing through Advance Wars 2, it's definitely a top notch series. In comparison to FFT, it really holds almost nothing in common, other than your units move in grids, attack in turns, and the terrain affects your movement and defense.

There is no XP, there are no items / equipment, there is no magic (well, besides the CO powers), it's just straight up strategy with unit counters, simple yet effective resource management, and decisive attack coordination. It's more closer in line with games like Command and Conquer, just not in real time.

Basically Intelligent Systems just streamlined the experience that they do best, which created a very addicting and accessible game at the same time.
I like Starcraft. You mentioned C&C so I assume it's similar to Starcraft?

I like Starcraft. You mentioned C&C so I assume it's similar to Starcraft?
In terms of unit countering (Rock Paper Scissors type) , yes it's similar to Starcraft, however it's all turn based, not real time. If you are a methodical RTS player (and not a twitch style player) you will appreciate Advance Wars slower pace, all the while keeping your brain running constantly. As someone who loved SC, WC and C&C, I really dig AW (especially since the theme is very relatable).

It's actually not too far from something like Civ Rev's unit combat, where you move them around on a grid and sending them to a spot where an enemy is prompts a battle between the two, though not all fights in Advance Wars end in defeat since they attack one another once and that's it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gj07BISWs0U

Now that I have had time after the holidays I have really gotten into my Wii U. Lots of games can be found cheap like Mass Effect 3, which is good with the back story comic, though that one doesn't have off screen play. That's ok, because it was like $11. If I paid full I would probably be a little ticked off. I have some more games coming, so I am sure I will be playing a lot more. I am only on level 4 of skylanders swap force so I still have a ton to go on that one.  Mario Kart is coming soon as well, which I am sure will be awesome.

Just got my Wii U last night.  Immediately got turned off from New Super Mario Bros. U.  Can't use the GamePad to control a character in multiplayer and the stupid collision between characters is very frustrating.  The game itself is very easy if you don't play with others and have to deal with that.  Luckily I got Donkey Kong Country along with it which has the same concept but no character collision. 

I have Nintendo Land, Zelda and Super Mario 3D World on it's way too.  Hopefully I can finish them all before Mario Kart hits because my son is not going to want to stop playing that!

The new super mario games are some of the most frustrating games for me, thus I just stay away from them. After NSMB I won't play anything from that series again. That game was a horrid mess of a game, and the only game I have ever seen input lag so severe that it makes the game literately unplayable. The game is just broken period, and it has horrible graphics for a Wii game, the worst I have ever seen, and I have seen some turds on the Wii. I have played what feels like a million other games on my TV across many genre's which is a high quality Panasonic TV and never had a problem like this with any of them ever.  Yes, I was using game mode too. This leads me to believe its just a poorly designed, broken game.

Its a shame, because everyone rates the NSMB series so highly, I have no idea why everyone talks about it so fondly, its clearly the most difficult game produced.. ever.. at least in my opinion.

Unless you want to keep a Wii around that is hooked to a CRT TV, or if you still play on a CRT TV, NSMB is one game that is to be avoided at all costs. I actually have no idea if it works any better on a CRT vs a HDTV, but I assume it would.

Fortunately, there are plenty of other games to play besides these, so its no loss for me.

Some people like hitting their dick with a hammer but that doesn't mean that everyone does.
You do realize you guys are basically tying to say "this game is challenging and hard! i don't know why people say its so good! its too hard to be good!" lol

If its too hard you for and you don't enjoy a challenge thats fine. Doesn't mean its not a good game or doesn't deserve the praise it gets.

Well he said "...that doesn't mean everyone does" so he's saying pretty much the same as you. Sara was harsher, but most of her posts are wall of text word vomit probably coming from an Asperger's riddled mind or something so not really worth paying attention to.

I don't like hard games, and don't much like gameplay focused games lacking in story/characters etc. So Nintendo just mostly isn't my cup of tea anymore as most of their games fall into one of those two camps (or both in the case of platformers. I'll never buy another piece of their hardware after wasting money on the Wii and Wii U (and to a lesser extent the 3DS) from buying mostly due to nostalgia from my younger days when I liked those types of games.

But I respect that plenty of people love those types of games, so I'm glad their out there and hope they find a way to bounce back from the Wii U sales failure since their aren't many of the types of games they make coming out from other publishers. Same with stuff like Dark Souls, RTS games,fighting games and other genres I'd rather quit gaming than play. Gaming is a huge market these days, and other than the rarest of uber hardcore gamers, not every genre/type of game is going to appeal to everyone. And most gamers are probably more like me and have pretty narrow genre interests. So it's great there's so many different types of games out there, and that Nintendo is still around doing their own thing since Sony and MS have so much overlap in types/genres of exclusives.

That's funny because I probably have the exact opposite preference in games I play.

Priority number one being gameplay and fun while lower on the list is the cutting edge graphics or hollywood style storytelling. Don't get me wrong I appreciate a good story in a videogame (The Last of Us was brilliant, even Dark Souls has a gripping story buried within the lore) but personally I'd rather keep the latter to movies and television series and the fun and/or challenging gaming bits to well... the games I play.  

But like you mentioned, I understand that people enjoy different genres of gaming and that over the years through technology new gaming genres and sub genres have been born and become trendy for a wider audience of gamers.

But man do I really appreciate and love games that put the focus of fun over storytelling (GTA V vs Bioshock). That's probably why Nintendo is one of my favorite companies because fun is inherently designed into most of their games.

Yeah, it's totally just different strokes for different folks.

I'm busy, stressed out most of the time, and just don't have patience for games that require skill, involve dying a lot etc.

I just want to veg out, get lost in a virtual world for a while and enjoy the setting, story etc.  Yeah, to some degree movies, tv shows and books are better at that-and I do often spend a lot more time on those things than gaming.  Though lately I've been gaming a ton more--but more just to clear out the backlog and get settled into next gen and keeping up with PS4 releases to avoid a backlog.

At the same time, gaming can be more immersive and thus a better escape from reality than a movie or book.  Something like putting the difficulty on low and just wandering around doing quests in Skyrim is way more immersive and relaxing for me than playing a platformer and dying a lot and getting frustarted and annoyed.  And for other games like Infamous, it's fun exploring the world, the story (even though it's nothing great) keeps me playing through annoying spots when I'm apt to just give up on a platformer (if not for good, for that day) etc.

bread's done
Back