Wii U - General Discussion Thread

Another online service with yearly payments? Ugh. Now I need to think about this... although I will NEVER buy a Virtual Console game so maybe it doesn't matter and I won't need the service. I'm not excited by the pricing but I'm not sure what I expected. I'll be sitting this launch out for sure... but I am definitely interested in the games and announcements.

Honestly I think that's about $50 too high for either version, I get it's the new system, but for people just looking for a high def console, they'll buy the significantly cheaper options that have a ton more games to choose from.

Are they just going to make me watch Nintendoland all day? I get that it's the pack-in, but this is a puffed up demo. The demo dude even says, "It's *almost* gonna feel like it's a full game." Whoops. No takebacks!

It's an okay packin, but it is not a full game. Stop trying to convince me otherwise, N.

At $300 and $350 these are going to be a tough sell. I'm kind of hoping Nintendo gets a does of reality this gen.

20 mins in and they still haven't told me why the tablet needs to be there. NSMBU could easily be on the Wii. They have issues with presentations.

EDIT: okay now we're getting somewhere. they're in the media center market. watchin my TVII on my WII

[quote name='jkam']At $300 and $350 these are going to be a tough sell. I'm kind of hoping Nintendo gets a does of reality this gen.[/QUOTE]

Wow - at LEAST $50 too high for both versions. I'm out.

They are so boned. TVii is pie-in-the-sky demo. There's no way you get it set up without shitloads of subscriptions and proprietary "synergies."

I know that they feel they have to respond to the 360 or Apple TV, but goddamn. I don't care about this at all.

Love the shot of Reggie sitting there with the horizon gaze as the dude chats him up about Modern Family. Yes, Reggie, the ride ends here.

[quote name='Strell']$300 is too high. Period. Didn't I read that the low tier one doesn't have Nintendoland as a pack-in?

Sigh.[/QUOTE]

You know the funny thing about that is Reggie saying Nintendo land is a game the gives you the gist of what Wii U can do , the very thing you would think they would put in the basic set in the first place :rofl:

If the Wii-U hooked into my DirecTV receiver and was able to do a live guide and netflix all from one box, and allowed me to watch TV and game at the same time, then just maybe, this thing has promise.

If not, Wii-Tvii is no more than another Netflix device.

So that 2 year premium service was Japan only? Heard Europe retailers can make their own price? wtf

And Nintendo please get back to the games i don't need help to fucking watch Tv good lord.

Built-in movie reviews and bumping my favorite football team up in a list of scores. They've clearly thought of everything.

It's almost like they prepare these presentations full hours ahead of time!

Admittedly one feature I would use this for is so I can play/watch while my wife plays/watches (i.e. she was going through Mass Effect 2 for the billionth time last night and I wanted to watch The Voice) so eventually I'll probably get one, but not seeing myself doing that this year...

I don't care about TV watching on my Wii-u. This is old crap.
No pack-in game. Price is too high, and I don't see any games that I must have.

Seem to be in the majority here but yeah they priced it $50 too high. Premium bundle at $300 would have had me at launch but oh well, I guess the just didn't learn anything from the 3DS launch. I know I did though...

The price-points/small SDDs really concern me... They've given themselves plenty of room to drop the price like a rock and majorly up the SDD before the PS4/Xbox Whatever comes out. I just can't help thinking about the PS3 and 3DS launches.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Seem to be in the majority here but yeah they priced it $50 too high. Premium bundle at $300 would have had me at launch but oh well, I guess the just didn't learn anything from the 3DS launch. I know I did though...[/QUOTE]

Seriously don't be surprised if it drops like $80 by next year because sales are lagging.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Seem to be in the majority here but yeah they priced it $50 too high. Premium bundle at $300 would have had me at launch but oh well, I guess the just didn't learn anything from the 3DS launch. I know I did though...[/QUOTE]
I wish the 8GB model was $249 or not had me buy Nintendo Land (as of a cheaper bundle), I think it would of been better. I hope they at least have expandable storage.

If I can still play games and watch TV at the same time, this still holds value to me.

I love how Nintendo releases old tech and act like it's the latest greatest newest thing anyone has ever done.

Whereas I could laugh at the 2011 E3 thing as a zany misadventure, it's not funny this time. This is really happening. This is a "finished" product and this pitch is intentioned.

It's a very sad moment.

[quote name='Strell']$300 is too high. Period. Didn't I read that the low tier one doesn't have Nintendoland as a pack-in?

Sigh.[/QUOTE]

I concur fully that Nintendoland should be included in the core bundle too (the items included in the deluxe bundle are enough on their own)

I'm of two minds on the price... It's only $50 more than the current Xbox 360 bundle W/ Kinnect (which seem to be $250 now)... But thats still $100 more than the core Xbox set ($200).

I'm going to give it a go at launch because I can, but I dont know how well this plays beyond Christmas.

I'm thinking I might be officially done with Nintendo at this point. I'm playing the Vita a lot more than the 3DS and the Wii U just doesn't look all that appealing.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Bayonetta 2, take my money now...

I loved the first game.[/QUOTE]

Same here one of my favorite games. Surprised to see it a Wii U exclusive.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Bayonetta 2, take my money now...

I loved the first game.[/QUOTE]

Sure if you want a dumbed down kids rated version of the first one..

bread's done
Back