Wii U - General Discussion Thread

I'm way past the return date by two months and rather than have the WiiU collect dust like my Wii I took advantage of the playon deal. It comes in handy if I want to check my email or the forums instead of having to take out my laptop. I know consoles suck at being a dedicate media player I might as well take adavantage at using the touch screen and using the console than just staring at it next to the ps3 I only really used for 3D Dot Game Heros' and lil bit Of Heavy Rain that almost made me fall asleep and that was months ago.

I honestly feel like every Assassin's Creed game has cumbersome controls, but you somehow get used to them over time. But maybe the Gamepad makes it worse. I dunno. I doubt it.

Anyone planning to watch the Super Bowl today should remember to use the TVii set-up. It will be taking advantage of the 2nd screen to host stats and community polls and stuff.

It might actually be done pretty well since they have done similar content in the past for the baseball games in Seattle on the DS.

Sorry if this has been asked already, and I may just be overly cautious, but does doing the Wii system transfer force you to register the Wii U through Club Nintendo? I'm just asking since I want to start moving my stuff over, but I don't want to register my Wii U until July (I'm already platinum for the year).

[quote name='lee majors']Sorry if this has been asked already, and I may just be overly cautious, but does doing the Wii system transfer force you to register the Wii U through Club Nintendo? I'm just asking since I want to start moving my stuff over, but I don't want to register my Wii U until July (I'm already platinum for the year).[/QUOTE]

I did the transfer but didn't have to register my Wii U, also waiting after July to get the points from it. So you should be good to do the transfer right away.

[quote name='lee majors']Sorry if this has been asked already, and I may just be overly cautious, but does doing the Wii system transfer force you to register the Wii U through Club Nintendo? I'm just asking since I want to start moving my stuff over, but I don't want to register my Wii U until July (I'm already platinum for the year).[/QUOTE]

I know they asked when I signed into the eShop, but I'm pretty sure it was optional. I signed up anyway, but it looks like my Wii U survey has no expiration date yet.

Anybody heard anything about this? From the Amazon page for Lego City:

Potential Shipping Delay
Delivery of Lego City: Undercover pre-orders may be affected by manufacturer shipping delays. Amazon apologizes for any inconvenience this may cause.

I want to get a Wii U but I want to make a list of items I need for it.

It will be the Wii U Deluxe for sure.

Do I need pro controllers? Is one enough or do I want 2 for a guest?

Wii controllers - do I need these when I want to have 4 people play together?

Anything else? I'm going to get a blu ray player to replace the PS3.

Same with Super Mario U. You can play single-player on the tablet, but multiplayer requires a remote for each person and the tablet is used for boost mode, which is good for people that suck at games, but still want to be involved and help.

Is it worth buying a name brand screen protector for the Gamepad?

Hori and Nintendo screen protectors run about $10 each while some ebay sellers sell them in bundles of 6 for around $2.

Is is really worth the extra money for the official versions?

I bought the Write & Protect pack from Gamestop. It came with 2 screen protectors and two styluseses. I've always used Hori on all of my DS models, but I couldn't find them anywhere. The ones I got went on fine. They did take a little more work to get all the air bubbles out than the Hori usually does, but they're fine if that's all you can find.

[quote name='antlp89']Is it worth buying a name brand screen protector for the Gamepad?

Hori and Nintendo screen protectors run about $10 each while some ebay sellers sell them in bundles of 6 for around $2.

Is is really worth the extra money for the official versions?[/QUOTE]

Later this month, Nintendo is releasing their own pack that includes a screen protector and one of those 'adult' styluses that used to come with the DSi XL. You may want to wait for that, although I'm not sure what the price will be.

I got the official Hori protector from TRU and love it. Super easy to apply also.

(On a side note, I got the Hori screen protectors for my 3DS XL, and the lower screen one was too thick to register the touch screen so I had to remove it... never happened with WiiU or regular DS).

[quote name='pitfallharry219']I bought the Write & Protect pack from Gamestop. It came with 2 screen protectors and two styluseses. I've always used Hori on all of my DS models, but I couldn't find them anywhere. The ones I got went on fine. They did take a little more work to get all the air bubbles out than the Hori usually does, but they're fine if that's all you can find.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, back at launch all I could find was the screen protectors made by (I think) PDP. Slapped 'er on and I'm good to go. There's a tiny speck of dust here or there, but no bubbles.

If I knew the Hori or upcoming Nintendo screen protectors were better in some way I'd consider replacing it...but my luck with these things is that the replacement usually ends up with more bubbles/dust than what I had originally.

Thanks for the input guys.

So far I'm really liking the extra features of the Wii U.

The universal remote feature of the Gamepad is really nice to use for turning on/off my TV and adjusting the volume. Although it is a small convenience it really is great not having to grab my TV remote while using the Wii U. Also like the fact that I can listen to my TV at night through the Gamepad.

Also, the web browser is pretty good for a gaming console. I like it better for browsing than the PS3 or even my tablet (haven't tried the browser on the 360). I like how you can play a video and set it to the TV screen while browsing in another tab on the Gamepad. I'll probably use the web browser primarily for streaming videos. It's another small convenience but it's nice to not have to hook up my laptop to my TV using an HDMI cord when I want to watch a show/youtube video on my TV and browse on the side. Now I can turn on my already connected Wii U using the Gamepad. :D

I'm hoping that these type of features will become standard (or perhaps even more fleshed out) for the other next gen consoles.

As far as gaming, I really hope Nintendo fleshes out their E Shop. I know that it is fresh up and running but it really is bare bones when compared to PSN or the Xbox Marketplace. Hopefully they add a dedicated section that lists all the demos (probably not enough out to warrant one yet).

Some things I'm actually disappointed in were features missing from the 3DS interface. For example you cannot create folders for the icons on the main page. Should be an easy addition for Nintendo to make but it's not available. Also one of my favorite apps from the 3DS was the Activity Log and it's odd that the Wii U version is gimped when compared to the 3DS version. Hopefully Nintendo will upgrade these things once they get the ball rolling with more sales, releasing games, etc.

Despite these little things I'm really liking the Wii U so far especially as a streaming device and can't wait till Monster Hunter next month. :D

[quote name='KingBroly']You should look forward to Rayman Legends first.[/QUOTE]

The demo is pretty amazing. I loved Origins on the 360, so this is definitely a Day 1 buy for me, along with Pikmin 3.

Is anyone in this thread into Monster Hunter? It seems like something I'd be into, but I'm not sure.

I could never get into Pokemon but I do like games like Dragon Quest and DQ Monsters.

[quote name='moothemagiccow']How do you do that?[/QUOTE]

Only way I can see is with Netflix or Hulu... watch on the TV, but only have sound coming from the gamepad.

[quote name='moothemagiccow']How do you do that?[/QUOTE]

I was able to stream several web browser videos to my TV and use the gamepad as the sound source. Is this not possible with games? To be honest the only gaming related things I've tried so far are a couple of demos. Still have to try out Nintendoland.

[quote name='KingBroly']You should look forward to Rayman Legends first.[/QUOTE]

Rayman Legends was one of the demos I did get a chance to try out and it was really fun. I really like how they integrated the gamepad.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02...i-u-exclusive?abthid=5113d7c6a8760ecf4d000049

Bullshit.

One, if the Wii U version is done, fucking release it and *then* port it six months later. Two, so releasing a game the same month at GTA5 and one or two months before new systems is going to help, then? Especially when Origins already underperformed on the platforms you're holding it for? Sigh.

I'm not angry about the end of exclusivity... I want everyone to be able to play this. Problem is, the timing is basically condemning the game to death. I genuinely don't understand how holding one version is going to help. Ah, well.

Exactly. I get the business decision to port it, but I'm not really sure Ubisoft realizes how much goodwill they've squandered with this move. There aren't a lot of Wii U owners, but... fuck, this is a game that was coming out in less than 20 days. To delay it and then offer up an explanation that begins and ends with 'MONEY!' doesn't help.

Seriously, like... lie to us and say you need six more months to work on it. I want the game, but I find it difficult to support a company that basically announced that 'there aren't enough of you to release this right now, so go fuck yourselves'.

Expect ZombiU to be next.

Just another reason why Nintendo should be buffing up their own internal development teams to float the console themselves.

Holy fuck. You've got to be kidding me. 50% of the reason I bought the WiiU was for Rayman, and specifically Rayman close to launch.

I had zero doubts it would remain exclusive but to bump the WiiU version for a simultaneous release six months later is in poor form.

fuck Ubisoft indeed.

So many Shaq Fu's on one page. Lol.

As far as I'm concerned, the more people that get to play the game the better, so good on ya, Ubisoft.

[quote name='Tronny']Looks like I just saved 60 bucks.[/QUOTE]

Overreaction at its finest, lol.

So lame. I just had to buy a new Wii U and the only reason I pulled the trigger now (instead of waiting) was because Rayman was coming in a few weeks. BAAAHHH!!!!

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']What a BS move by Ubisoft. I don't get why they could not of released the WiiU version now and others later.[/QUOTE]

So they don't have to pay for marketing (TV ads, banner ads, etc.) twice.

[quote name='maximumzero']As far as I'm concerned, the more people that get to play the game the better, so good on ya, Ubisoft.[/quote]

Well, the only way they got people to play Origins was to drop the price, since many didn't buy it on launch.

Overreaction at its finest, lol.

Not for those who bought a Wii U expecting to play this in February. Those people are feeling pretty chafed right now.

[quote name='TheLongshot']Not for those who bought a Wii U expecting to play this in February. Those people are feeling pretty chafed right now.[/QUOTE]

But his comment was that he just "Saved 60 bucks".

So since he can't have it this month he won't buy it at all? That seems like a bit of an overreaction.

[quote name='TheLongshot']Well, the only way they got people to play Origins was to drop the price, since many didn't buy it on launch.[/QUOTE]

Well then it makes even more sense for Ubisoft to do this. After all, if everyone was going to wait for Legends to drop in price, may as well release it on three platforms so they can recoup as much money as possible.

[quote name='maximumzero']But his comment was that he just "Saved 60 bucks".

So since he can't have it this month he won't buy it at all? That seems like a bit of an overreaction.[/quote]

Well, maybe he will spend something for it eventually, but as time goes on, the desire for something does drop. Certainly messing with goodwill will have one reconsider a potential purchase.

Well then it makes even more sense for Ubisoft to do this. After all, if everyone was going to wait for Legends to drop in price, may as well release it on three platforms so they can recoup as much money as possible.

In the meantime, it is 9 months late and any momentum you built from the Wii U launch is lost. The best marketing, IMO, is getting it into people's hands and having them talk about it for 6 months so that when it comes out for everyone, people will want it.

Bah... This reminds me of Rayman all over again. They delayed the original Jaguar version again and again until the Playstation port actually was released a little bit before it was released on the Jaguar. I'm pretty sure that Rayman was also supposed to be a launch game (or at least near launch).

...This sucks, but I'm still going to buy it on the Wii U. Damn Ubisoft...

It's funny, out of all the third party developers, Ubisoft was the most supportive of the Wii platform. With ZombiU and Legends originally planning to be both exclusives (or at least both launch games), they were poised to repeat this for Wii U.

Now they go ahead and do something like this. I don't mind the multiplatform approach, but delaying a game twice, only to coincide with another platform's launch, just isn't cool...

I think we all know this is how this generation is going to play out. The first round of third party games were buggy and had tacked on features, and the second/third/eighth/sixteenth (if it even lasts that long) will most likely be the same. Even if an exclusive shows up down the line, expect a reworked version shortly after.

Again, more reason for more internal teams. I can't believe Nintendo would be under the impression since the N64 that anything has changed. (And yes, they've earned some of it, but as I've said before, it's an incredibly complex issue that boils down simply to money, so why keep beating the deceased equine). They've even said they don't really trust exclusivity agreements for these exact kind of situations, and instead are working toward collaborations. But Ninja Gaiden 3 just shot a hole in the collaboration movement. Very 1984 type reasoning going on.

Eh, ah well. Unless I find out Earthbound will indeed come to the Wii U shop, I can wait a good long while.

[quote name='Billytwoshoes']It's funny, out of all the third party developers, Ubisoft was the most supportive of the Wii platform. With ZombiU and Legends originally planning to be both exclusives (or at least both launch games), they were poised to repeat this for Wii U.

Now they go ahead and do something like this. I don't mind the multiplatform approach, but delaying a game twice, only to coincide with another platform's launch, just isn't cool...[/QUOTE]

It's sort of an ongoing thing with Rayman titles. Origins on the 3DS was delayed 2 or 3 times, I believe.

[quote name='Strell']I can't believe Nintendo would be under the impression since the N64 that anything has changed. (And yes, they've earned some of it, but as I've said before, it's an incredibly complex issue that boils down simply to money, so why keep beating the deceased equine). [/QUOTE]

I don't think it has anything to do with Nintendo believing anything has changed, and more to do with customers demanding more 3rd party support. So, Nintendo has tried twice to make it happen with their last two console launches, and they ended up with egg on their faces. Course, support goes both ways, and I don't think Wii customers supported 3rd party games all that well.

Maybe we should just accept that good 3rd party support isn't something that is in Nintendo's realm to control directly. They can provide all the support they want, but it is up to the developers to do good work.

bread's done
Back