Wii U - General Discussion Thread

[quote name='TimboSliceGB']it's not just that it's other things that has happend to me with them from order stuff of their website and not getting right product and having thier customer servicer people tell me i lied and really did get the right thing. But they are pretty much done as a company everyone that reads company news magazines know that.[/QUOTE]

Sad when they go. Not sure who else will give us great deals then. I guess just Newegg.

[quote name='Deader2818']Wow, so you want them to go bankrupt just because they don't have this near you? lol what a selfish asshole.[/QUOTE]

He's the same type of person that voted EA as Worst Company in America while Bank of America sat back and laughed.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']He's the same type of person that voted EA as Worst Company in America while Bank of America sat back and laughed.[/QUOTE]

who banks at bank of america? smart people don't bank at national banks.

[quote name='TimboSliceGB']best buy deals have been slumping in recent months the coupons are not even that good anymore[/QUOTE]

Honestly though, how many great deals have gamestop, target, wal mart, kmart, amazon, given us lately?

[quote name='TimboSliceGB']it's not just that it's other things that has happend to me with them from order stuff of their website and not getting right product and having thier customer servicer people tell me i lied and really did get the right thing. But they are pretty much done as a company everyone that reads company news magazines know that.[/QUOTE]

Totally done. Magazines and such are never wrong.

All this Best Buy doomsday stuff is pretty blown out of proportion. If they do go under it won't probably be for at least 5 years.

[quote name='Deader2818']Honestly though, how many great deals have gamestop, target, wal mart, kmart, amazon, given us lately?[/QUOTE]

ZERO which makes no sense you would think with new systems coming out they would want to empty their old game stock

[quote name='TimboSliceGB']best buy deals have been slumping in recent months the coupons are not even that good anymore[/QUOTE]

Yup, because handing out deals that you just scoop up and never buy anything else is what is going to keep a company afloat.

Frankly Best buy could probably do without most of us CAGs. We flock to the deals and often that's it.

[quote name='ZForce915']Totally done. Magazines and such are never wrong.

All this Best Buy doomsday stuff is pretty blown out of proportion. If they do go under it won't probably be for at least 5 years.[/QUOTE]

here we have 3 best buys and two are closing by september. HH greg moved in next to the one that will be left and is killing best buy

[quote name='ZForce915']Yup, because handing out deals that you just scoop up and never buy anything else is what is going to keep a company afloat.

Frankly Best buy could probably do without most of us CAGs. We flock to the deals and often that's it.[/QUOTE]

i used to buy all my electronics at best buy and my new games if they had decent pre order deals but thanks to H.H gregg moving in which is better name brand stuff and cheaper they won most of my electronic purchase now.

Your area may not be able to support three locations in such close proximity. Closing one of those stores may be a good move. HH Gregg will be gone before BB.

[quote name='TimboSliceGB']ZERO which makes no sense you would think with new systems coming out they would want to empty their old game stock[/QUOTE]

Game deals are almost always slow start of the year through summer.

[quote name='ZForce915']Your area may not be able to support three locations in such close proximity. Closing one of those stores may be a good move. HH Gregg will be gone before BB.[/QUOTE]

we have supported 3 stores in 30 min area for 10 years now. HH gregg is a growing national company do you even know what hh gregg is or been in one

[quote name='TimboSliceGB']we have supported 3 stores in 30 min area for 10 years now. HH gregg is a growing national company do you even know what hh gregg is or been in one[/QUOTE]

Every time I've been in one there is like 30 employees and 3-4 people in the store. I have no idea how they stay in business, lol.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Really? After all of the discussions for the past week about Xbox One and PS4, this is the only thing considered off-topic?[/QUOTE]

A least those were in comparison with the Wii U's prospects going forward. Best Buy sales and store closings have absolutely nothing to do with the Wii U.

OK, fine, I'll go back to the hated process of simply deleting stuff without explanation. You can see now why most of the mods just do that!

I know the PSN thread loses posts all of the time with no warning for going so far as talking about trophies for a few hours, so I have no clue what's off-topic and on-topic anymore when I see other threads go far more off-topic for longer periods of time.

Nintendo enhancing Wii U GamePad life with new battery

May 30th, 2013 Posted in News, Posted by Brian, Wii U
The Wii U GamePad battery kind of stinks right now. To improve the situation, Nintendo intends to release an improved rechargeable battery in Japan.
An enhanced battery pack will increase the GamePad’s life from 3-5 hours to 5-8 hours. It’s a 2550mAh battery as opposed to the current 1500mAh battery.
The product will be available on July 25 for 3,150 yen.

-Really hope this is coming stateside.

^ they should provide free replacements, especially if they upgrade newer systems with it! ;)

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I know the PSN thread loses posts all of the time with no warning for going so far as talking about trophies for a few hours, so I have no clue what's off-topic and on-topic anymore when I see other threads go far more off-topic for longer periods of time.[/QUOTE]

Well, there are two explanations for that.

1) If a post gets reported then oftentimes a mod will come in and clean it up (and all related discussion) if the original report was accurate. I was just dealing with the blowback from that on the Steam thread (another mod deleted a bunch of stuff setting off a bunch of posts about stuff getting deleted, etc).

2) Different mods have different styles and what they think is appropriate. I usually keep deleting to a minimum but of course delete spam and other inappropriate things (NSFW pics, lewd stuff, fraud talk, etc) and then sometimes when stuff gets really off topic. I was trying to warn here before I started doing that since a lot of CAGs complain about stealth deletions. But that just creates a lot of busy work and explaining - it is easier just to delete stuff ;).

So the combination of those two can easily explain why some things go way off topic and never get dealt with (mods simply don't see them) and others seem to get dealt with more harshly (one mod or another gets to it first).

I should also add that a lot of deleted posts are related to banned members coming back and stirring up trouble. I seem to remember that specifically in the PSN thread recently. It is usually pepsiman or whatever he was called and I think IATCG made an appearance there under a new name.

They do, but people are understandably weary of 3rd party products (though I've used Nyko previously with no issues). Supposedly Nintendo is considering a Wii U ambassador program, if you could send away for one for free as an ambassador that would be sweet.

Nintendo announced:
- White Premium 32gb system for Japan (July 13th to be precise)
- Better Gamepad Battery (2500mHz)
- Wii Remote Battery Pack + Charger
- Nintendo Land + Wii Remote Bundle (Remember, it's not bundled over there)

And the list in this post on Neogaf: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=60129841&postcount=68

Somehow manages to not all call these products out, but adds to its' credibility and builds the hype for E3. Of course, I doubt there's ANY way Smash Bros. comes out this year.

I'm betting Smash Bros 2014, Zelda 2015. Maybe with a little luck we'll get new Metroid title somewhere in there as well (just don't let Team Ninja anywhere near that one).

I wish more CAGs would use that ignore button instead of dragging on pointless arguments (some users are really not worth reading or responding to).

As far as the Wii U battery pack extender, I also hope Nintendo brings it stateside. Would be great to extend the battery life of the Gamepad when I use it in different rooms. At this point whenever I game near my television I have the Gamepad plugged in at all times.

[quote name='Erad30']I'm betting Smash Bros 2014, Zelda 2015. Maybe with a little luck we'll get new Metroid title somewhere in there as well (just don't let Sakamoto and Team Ninja anywhere near that one).[/QUOTE]

Fixed that for you.

I think Smash Bros. 3DS arrives before the Wii U version of Smash, probably by about 3-4 months.

[quote name='io']Well, there are two explanations for that.

1) If a post gets reported then oftentimes a mod will come in and clean it up (and all related discussion) if the original report was accurate. I was just dealing with the blowback from that on the Steam thread (another mod deleted a bunch of stuff setting off a bunch of posts about stuff getting deleted, etc).

2) Different mods have different styles and what they think is appropriate. I usually keep deleting to a minimum but of course delete spam and other inappropriate things (NSFW pics, lewd stuff, fraud talk, etc) and then sometimes when stuff gets really off topic. I was trying to warn here before I started doing that since a lot of CAGs complain about stealth deletions. But that just creates a lot of busy work and explaining - it is easier just to delete stuff ;).

So the combination of those two can easily explain why some things go way off topic and never get dealt with (mods simply don't see them) and others seem to get dealt with more harshly (one mod or another gets to it first).

I should also add that a lot of deleted posts are related to banned members coming back and stirring up trouble. I seem to remember that specifically in the PSN thread recently. It is usually pepsiman or whatever he was called and I think IATCG made an appearance there under a new name.[/QUOTE]
I would hope that the mods wouldn't blindly follow reported posts, as the stuff that was deleted were mostly harmless discussions that only the most anal people would go nuts about it.

I don't recall anything like banned users posting there lately since regulars will mention noticing lots of posts disappearing. The most recent events involved a discussion about trophies and another that was maybe a borderline off-topic discussion about some guy on Youtube that didn't last long that disappeared overnight for unknown reasons.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I would hope that the mods wouldn't blindly follow reported posts, as the stuff that was deleted were mostly harmless discussions that only the most anal people would go nuts about it.

I don't recall anything like banned users posting there lately since regulars will mention noticing lots of posts disappearing. The most recent events involved a discussion about trophies and another that was maybe a borderline off-topic discussion about some guy on Youtube that didn't last long that disappeared overnight for unknown reasons.[/QUOTE]

I'll take a look at it. We don't "blindly" follow reported posts, but they do bring things to our attention whereas if it is a thread we never read and no one reports anything, we don't see the problems in that thread. That's all I'm saying. So it might seem inconsistent but that's because of a combination of different mod personalities, not being able to read everything, and sometimes people reporting stuff and sometimes them not reporting stuff. And throw in Cheapy's hands off approach and you get a little arbitrary feeling to the moderating at times. As I told the people in the Steam thread, that's the price we pay for getting rid of all the spammers and scammers - which is most of what we delete by the way.

Anyway, it is my fault this thread has now gone off topic in a different direction so that's all I will say on the matter. FWIW, when there was last discussion of adding some new mods (like 2 years ago) you were one of the top candidates. But that just never went anywhere - it seems Cheapy is happy with the way it is now and there is definitely much less drama than there was a few years ago in relation to the mods. If all the users have to complain about is a few off-topic discussions being nuked we aren't doing too bad a job ;).

[quote name='MisterModest']Focus, people: Wii U General Discussion Thread[/QUOTE]

I said I was done!

Only one location on the E3 thing in Wisconsin, but it's only 15ish minutes away from me....I wonder how many people will be at it though since it's not exactly the longest event, so I'm not sure if each person would only be able to get like a 5 minute sample or how it's going to work, I'll think about going depending on what's all there I suppose

[quote name='io']I'll take a look at it. We don't "blindly" follow reported posts, but they do bring things to our attention whereas if it is a thread we never read and no one reports anything, we don't see the problems in that thread. That's all I'm saying. So it might seem inconsistent but that's because of a combination of different mod personalities, not being able to read everything, and sometimes people reporting stuff and sometimes them not reporting stuff. And throw in Cheapy's hands off approach and you get a little arbitrary feeling to the moderating at times. As I told the people in the Steam thread, that's the price we pay for getting rid of all the spammers and scammers - which is most of what we delete by the way.

Anyway, it is my fault this thread has now gone off topic in a different direction so that's all I will say on the matter. FWIW, when there was last discussion of adding some new mods (like 2 years ago) you were one of the top candidates. But that just never went anywhere - it seems Cheapy is happy with the way it is now and there is definitely much less drama than there was a few years ago in relation to the mods. If all the users have to complain about is a few off-topic discussions being nuked we aren't doing too bad a job ;).[/QUOTE]

Fascinating behind the scenes stuff. Never thought the mods were too hands off since spam, scam, or harm seems to poof away reasonably fast.

While there is a BB doing the Nintendo thing near me, I am not going to bother. Oh I can drive an hour to a BB to play games from Nintendo I will end up buying anyway in a year :lol:.

I will save me the gas.

For those that are unable to make it to the event, maybe you should try contacting Nintendo and see if you could hold something in your area at a local gamestore of sorts.

What rumor? I haven't heard that anywhere. And I loved Star Tropics but I doubt anyone would give a damn if they were reviving that series.

It would be worth it to wait for this improved battery to buy a Wii U, hopefully they will start putting the new battery into systems stateside. I guess this addresses my major complaint about the Wii U, now to wait until they have some games I want to play.

[quote name='Corvin']io - CAG villain of the year?

:)[/QUOTE]

Shame Amri0x seems to be GAF exclusive these days, this kind of crazy is right up his alley.

Also, on the E3 demo front, Nintendo really only had three options, Best Buy, Gamestop, or Wal-Mart.

Picking Best Buy could have been as simple as Best Buy saying yes first.

Note: Target and TRU are out because I do not think they have demo stations.

I think Best Buy is ideal because of how the stores are designed, there is plenty of space for that, I can't think of a store that has a layout better suited for it.

[quote name='foltzie']Also, on the E3 demo front, Nintendo really only had three options, Best Buy, Gamestop, or Wal-Mart.

Picking Best Buy could have been as simple as Best Buy saying yes first.

Note: Target and TRU are out because I do not think they have demo stations.[/QUOTE]

Target has demo stations. They only have Super Target around here, so maybe that is the difference. Best Buy is more tech-focused than the other chains.

[quote name='frostybroc']For those that are unable to make it to the event, maybe you should try contacting Nintendo and see if you could hold something in your area at a local gamestore of sorts.[/QUOTE]

I'm assuming there is some exclusive relationship with Best Buy here that would prevent that.

I used to always wonder why the didn't just release these demos into the wild during E3 and let everyone take a crack at them, but they are probably so rough around the edges that they put an unintended burden on the systems that are being asked to run them. At E3, or a Best Buy- over working a system isn't a big deal (if it burns out the system, they just put in a new unit), but at a home or a smaller gamestore it would be a problem.

[quote name='Erad30']And I loved Star Tropics but I doubt anyone would give a damn if they were reviving that series.[/QUOTE]
Except for Sir_Fragalot, if the custom title is still accurate. Honestly I'd be up for Nintendo reviving old series like Star Tropics, though not sure how well the name would have any sway.

bread's done
Back