Wii U - General Discussion Thread

They have no reason to drop the price atm considering we have 6 months before either system is out. They can still drop it come holiday time.

Bingo... I still think we are 100% looking at some kind of pricedrop this year, it's just a matter of when. The thing that people seem to forget is... look, dropping the price? Great. Dropping the price while still not having software to back it up? Not so great.

Let's think about this... Microsoft shits the bed at E3, announces $500 console. Sony comes out, announces $400. The press coming out of E3 are talking about the new consoles, Microsoft's ridiculous policies, Sony basically flipping Microsoft the bird, and Sony announcing a console for $100 less. Now, Nintendo announces a price drop... and how is that not getting lost in the shuffle? Unless they SLASH to a huge degree, no one will talk about it.

That's on top of the fact that, what, you announce a pricedrop and then go 'Pick up a cheaper Wii U now for... uh... Game & Wario? Some Luigi DLC? Some games that came out 6 months ago? I love the Wii U, but let's not pretend the library is all that strong. For Nintendo to compete, they need a pricedrop coupled with some games. My guess at this point is August (for Pikmin). September is a weird down month, offering only Rayman (multi) and Wonderful 101 (looks great, but is an unknown quantity). Waiting until October/November might be pushing it, given that we're still not totally clear on when the new consoles are launching.

I'm armchair quarterbacking this, sure, but my best guess at a gameplan would be a pricedrop around Pikmin (if you do it the next month, you run the risk of pissing off consumers who held out *until* Pikmin to buy a Wii U), then a huge marketing blitz this fall for every game coming out, all while touting the new price.

So... short version... I in no way believe there won't be a pricedrop this year. They'd be insane not to, but this isn't the time. And shit, it's not like you're going to tell consumers 'hey, hold off... we're dropping the price in two months!'. It'll happen, but why anyone  was expecting it at E3 is beyond me. That was just not the right moment.

Last edited by a moderator:
I could see them not doing a price drop but doing a value bundle-I.E. for $350 you get NSMBU, Luigi U and possibly even Mario 3D Land or Pikmin 3. That would be a great value and really move consoles when you are looking at Sony who is only $50 more but doesn't come with a game.

Yeah, even having seen those... I can't help but take it as PR speak. Even something as simple as 'we're exploring our options' would stop current sales of Wii U cold. Not that, you know, that's a huge number of consoles or anything, but still. They're already experiencing pushback from publishers about the numbers, so I'd guess they're doing everything they can to at least *maintain* those low numbers at this point.

The bundle idea actually isn't bad, but I still have concerns about that route. I don't know, maybe they can't drop the price because of business concerns, but I still feel like even with a bundle... having the ability for people to look at shelf tags and see $350 vs. $400 is a big deal. Then again, maybe the thinking is that the average consumer doesn't know enough about the Wii U to understand it won't give them the PS4/XB1 experience. So, keeping a higher price might make it seem, in a weird way, more attractive. $250 vs. $400 could start making average Joe wonder *why* the price is so much lower. Or, picture a $250 Wii U box touting NSMBU... how many people are going to see that and assume they already own it? Nintendo's created a minefield for marketing here, which is a shame.

... I just sort of talked myself in a circle there, but hey. I'm not totally awake yet.

Yeah it's just PR speak. Just like MS' whole DRM is hard wired into the system, this is the way of the future, this isn't a sprint, etc. were all PR speak.

Yeah, even having seen those... I can't help but take it as PR speak. Even something as simple as 'we're exploring our options' would stop current sales of Wii U cold. Not that, you know, that's a huge number of consoles or anything, but still. They're already experiencing pushback from publishers about the numbers, so I'd guess they're doing everything they can to at least *maintain* those low numbers at this point.

The bundle idea actually isn't bad, but I still have concerns about that route. I don't know, maybe they can't drop the price because of business concerns, but I still feel like even with a bundle... having the ability for people to look at shelf tags and see $350 vs. $400 is a big deal. Then again, maybe the thinking is that the average consumer doesn't know enough about the Wii U to understand it won't give them the PS4/XB1 experience. So, keeping a higher price might make it seem, in a weird way, more attractive. $250 vs. $400 could start making average Joe wonder *why* the price is so much lower. Or, picture a $250 Wii U box touting NSMBU... how many people are going to see that and assume they already own it? Nintendo's created a minefield for marketing here, which is a shame.

... I just sort of talked myself in a circle there, but hey. I'm not totally awake yet.
I think part of the reason Wii sold well was it was so much cheaper. I don't think people wonder why, it's just considered a good value. Remember that the vast majority don't buy game consoles till they're under $300 and many don't want to pay more than 200.

Keep in mind this is the company that said 'there's no plans for a DS revision,' then a day later leaks came out showing said revision, and then the day after that Nintendo said 'DS lite confirmed!'  They have to announce a price cut along with a game (or two or three) to sell alongside that price cut.  So...August at the earliest with Pikmin 3 and NSLU in North America.

Assuming one happens at all.

I have learned that as soon as a company starts to deny something that means they will be doing it shortly, this system still has almost no games on it and none of the big titles announced for it as was promised with Nintendo's claim they will have 3rd party support, especially if you don't like Nintendo first party stuff. I don't like Super Mario so that bundle would not hold much value for me but maybe a cheaper system so I could go and buy the Monster hunter game I want would. Just an example.

Right now this is nothing more than a side console, something you use to play an exclusive that isn't on another console, and its only used when the next Nintendo or exclusive game comes out. If some of the big games were announced for it like KH3 like they should have been then I would probably go out and get one but right now I can get better games on the Wii and 3DS than this system. The 3DS specifically has the kinds of games I like.

Is Chronicles of Mystara on the Eshop yet? I thought it was supposed to be today, would be nice to play on the Gamepad.

I can tell that Nintendo's new to DLC, as the process of buying and playing New Super Luigi U was more complicated than it should've been. I had to update NSMBU before I could even buy NSLU and then it stopped me when I went to start the game after I had everything downloaded to install the DLC, which I thought it would've done on its own.

According to the New Super Luigi trailer I saw today the game (in disc form) is only being released in 2013.

I might have to buy a game for a system I don't even own yet. I'm not going to pay Metroid Prime Trilogy prices.

I have learned that as soon as a company starts to deny something that means they will be doing it shortly, this system still has almost no games on it and none of the big titles announced for it as was promised with Nintendo's claim they will have 3rd party support, especially if you don't like Nintendo first party stuff. I don't like Super Mario so that bundle would not hold much value for me but maybe a cheaper system so I could go and buy the Monster hunter game I want would. Just an example.Right now this is nothing more than a side console, something you use to play an exclusive that isn't on another console, and its only used when the next Nintendo or exclusive game comes out. If some of the big games were announced for it like KH3 like they should have been then I would probably go out and get one but right now I can get better games on the Wii and 3DS than this system. The 3DS specifically has the kinds of games I like.
The sad thing is, I don't want to play any of the games out on it. None of them interest me all. At least for now, the only reason I want it is to move over my virtual co sole games and upgrade them so they play on the gamepad (for the kids). I don't even want to play them. I got them for free from club Nintendo because I played them as a kid and k we they were good. I do t want to play them again.

So that's the main reason I want a Wii U. The second reason is because everything in my entertainment center is black except for the white Wii which sticks out like a sore thumb. That's clearly cosmetic and its not enough to get me to upgrade but it does annoy me.

I suppose after upgrading I can sell my Wii. Though I doubt a Wii is worth much these days - even ones with GameCube backwards compatability like mine.

I really don't get why you are back here again when you made it clear you don't like Nintendo games anymore?

Just wait 5 years when the system is $200 or something.

Im sure you have an iPad or a tablet of some kind. Just get an emulator on that and download whatever games your kids want to play on that.

Is the Luigi U disc still available to buy?

I see it's $30 on Amazon. Is that the disc or the DLC.
It's the disc. If it was the e-shop version, it would say avaiable now. I wonder why it's taking two months to bring the game to disc over DLC.

Not that I care, but just curious.

It's the disc. If it was the e-shop version, it would say avaiable now. I wonder why it's taking two months to bring the game to disc over DLC.

IMO the delay +$10 price difference + double CN coins offer are to steer you to the DL version. Plus, this was always meant to be DLC anyway so the physical version is more of a perk than a major release, and it helps to keep the Wii U releases going between Pikmin 3 and Wonderful 101.

I have learned that as soon as a company starts to deny something that means they will be doing it shortly, this system still has almost no games on it and none of the big titles announced for it as was promised with Nintendo's claim they will have 3rd party support, especially if you don't like Nintendo first party stuff. I don't like Super Mario so that bundle would not hold much value for me but maybe a cheaper system so I could go and buy the Monster hunter game I want would. Just an example.Right now this is nothing more than a side console, something you use to play an exclusive that isn't on another console, and its only used when the next Nintendo or exclusive game comes out. If some of the big games were announced for it like KH3 like they should have been then I would probably go out and get one but right now I can get better games on the Wii and 3DS than this system. The 3DS specifically has the kinds of games I like.

The sad thing is, I don't want to play any of the games out on it. None of them interest me all. At least for now, the only reason I want it is to move over my virtual co sole games and upgrade them so they play on the gamepad (for the kids). I don't even want to play them. I got them for free from club Nintendo because I played them as a kid and k we they were good. I do t want to play them again.

So that's the main reason I want a Wii U. The second reason is because everything in my entertainment center is black except for the white Wii which sticks out like a sore thumb. That's clearly cosmetic and its not enough to get me to upgrade but it does annoy me.

I suppose after upgrading I can sell my Wii. Though I doubt a Wii is worth much these days - even ones with GameCube backwards compatability like mine.

I have no more room in my entertainment center so if I got a Wii U something would have to go, probably the Wii. My Wii is hooked up with component cables and since my 2 HDMI ports are already full nothing else is getting put in until something goes, and I am not letting my Xbox 360 or PS3 go for a long time. This means I would have to hook up the Wii U with the current component cables assuming that can be done.

I have all the old systems and games so I am really not interested in buying them again only to create digital clutter that I will never use.

I am not interested in getting any Wii U games, if they released a good pokemon stadium game or a Good Pokemon RPG with modern graphics I would be all over it. I really like the idea of playing games on the tablet while I am watching stuff on TV but not every game apparently supports that. There just aren't any games I want to play right now, sure I am interested in Mario Kart for the Wii U but not $350 + cost of the game interested. The only games I am interested in playing right now are Turn Based RPG's which the 3DS has lots of. I have to say I am very satisfied with the 3DS and the selection of games is perfect for my tastes. Besides I just got Mario kart for the Wii so I have quite a bit to work through before thinking of getting something newer.

Now if the Wii U could play certain Wii games in tablet mode while I lay in bed and watch TV I would probably be all over it.

I also don't want to lose the ability to play Gamecube games over component cables, sometimes they look even better than certain Wii games, I have no idea how but they do.

The DLC version uses assets from NSMBU. It's just new levels and a new character. I'm not sure there's even a new world map.

The disc version needs to be rewritten to contain everything it needs from NSMBU, plus get rated, package design, promotion, shipped to stores, etc.

The DLC version uses assets from NSMBU. It's just new levels and a new character. I'm not sure there's even a new world map.

The disc version needs to be rewritten to contain everything it needs from NSMBU, plus get rated, package design, promotion, shipped to stores, etc.
Actually, it's a completely new campaign with the same world map whose levels are remixed versions of what was in the main campaign.

I've got a video that will be done uploading in about two hours that shows off how to access it and what the first world looks like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8vm3q_ltEs

I have no more room in my entertainment center so if I got a Wii U something would have to go, probably the Wii. My Wii is hooked up with component cables and since my 2 HDMI ports are already full nothing else is getting put in until something goes, and I am not letting my Xbox 360 or PS3 go for a long time. This means I would have to hook up the Wii U with the current component cables assuming that can be done.

I have all the old systems and games so I am really not interested in buying them again only to create digital clutter that I will never use.

I am not interested in getting any Wii U games, if they released a good pokemon stadium game or a Good Pokemon RPG with modern graphics I would be all over it. I really like the idea of playing games on the tablet while I am watching stuff on TV but not every game apparently supports that. There just aren't any games I want to play right now, sure I am interested in Mario Kart for the Wii U but not $350 + cost of the game interested. The only games I am interested in playing right now are Turn Based RPG's which the 3DS has lots of. I have to say I am very satisfied with the 3DS and the selection of games is perfect for my tastes. Besides I just got Mario kart for the Wii so I have quite a bit to work through before thinking of getting something newer.

Now if the Wii U could play certain Wii games in tablet mode while I lay in bed and watch TV I would probably be all over it.

I also don't want to lose the ability to play Gamecube games over component cables, sometimes they look even better than certain Wii games, I have no idea how but they do.
Speaking of turn based JRPG's, I was immensely disappointed that the Earthbound HD collection shown on Amazon UK wasn't announced at E3.

If you only have 2 HDMI slots you need this. I have this same model. It's really good for a home theater in a box because nothing is proprietary and has a real receiver. You can hook 4 HDMI into it then go HDMI from it to your TV and only use one of your TV slots. There's also optical audio in so if you have stuff plugged into your TV, you can have the sound play in surround. I'm using all 4 HDMI on mine (Blu Ray player, 360, PS3, and cable box) then I have my Wii plugged into my TV which has the digital audio out to the receiver.

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-HT-S3500-5-1-Channel-Theater-Receiver/dp/B0077V88V8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1371841267&sr=8-3&keywords=onkyo

I can tell that Nintendo's new to DLC, as the process of buying and playing New Super Luigi U was more complicated than it should've been. I had to update NSMBU before I could even buy NSLU and then it stopped me when I went to start the game after I had everything downloaded to install the DLC, which I thought it would've done on its own.
How big is the game? I wanna download it, but I need to know if I should finally hook up my external hard drive. Also, how annoying is the time limit?

How big is the game? I wanna download it, but I need to know if I should finally hook up my external hard drive. Also, how annoying is the time limit?
The New Super Luigi U DLC? It's 720 MB.

I just noticed from the E3 notification that you can add Reggie's Mii to your Mii collection.

I would really like to get a WiiU (Deluxe) now, especially as I got $150 for my birthday :) but I would really love to see some other bundle. I'm sure NintendoLand is fun, though. Have heard as much. There's also that pesky problem of the other $200 needed. LOL. I already have a copy of NSMBU waiting.

I guess I missed the Kickstarter, but for sure I'll buy it if it gets any sort of decent reviews.  I like supporting both these smaller developers (Mike Nelson from MST3K being involved is icing on the cake) and "underdog" Nintendo that went courting them - that is an awesome little bit of news that I'm sure will be ignored by most gamers.  Hopefully it remains console exclusive to the Wii U.

I guess I missed the Kickstarter, but for sure I'll buy it if it gets any sort of decent reviews. I like supporting both these smaller developers (Mike Nelson from MST3K being involved is icing on the cake) and "underdog" Nintendo that went courting them - that is an awesome little bit of news that I'm sure will be ignored by most gamers. Hopefully it remains console exclusive to the Wii U.
It basically got 350k+ in the final 3 days, which is coincidentally when they announced they stretch goal for Wii U. It was really crazy. I hope A Hat in Time comes to Wii U as well, but since they need to license UE3 for consoles, they need a publisher to cover those costs.

Looking at the Game & Wario stuff makes me smile...makes me want to buy it.

There's a huge WIIU demo at the Mall of America right now.  Actually it's an overall Nintendo thing, they have reps walking around with 3DS units to demo as well.  I've been through it twice and played nearly everything WIIU related a few times over with family, especially Mario and Pikmin.  I don't know how I could give the console a more honest shot. 

What was interesting to me was watching people play who knew nothing about the WIIU and listening to their questions (and the reps' responses), I hung around the display quite a bit while the family shopped.  A particularly interesting case was a WarioWare-themed ski game (it had the disco guy on skis) where you used the tablet to steer the skier.  The impulse of every gamer was to use the perspective on the TV to steer with the tablet, however it was the perspective on the tablet (which differed from the TV) was the one to be used.  Again, it confused every single person, and they were all asking questions like "Why is it different?  Should I look at the TV?  Why is it backward?"  Nobody stuck it out to learn the game, everybody abandoned it (and reps stopped hanging out there unless called over by someone).

You might respond that Nintendo's shaking up control here, challenging the norm and whatnot, but that's missing the point.  Everyone who picked up a Wii controller on the Wii release knew exactly what to do with it for the launch title.  We're 9 months into the WIIU's existence, and N can't even pick a demo that features the tablet component (the supposed selling point) in an intuitive way.  There was a Need for Speed there that used it as a steering wheel.  Everything else either bypasses the tablet entirely or uses it in a secondary, non-essential way (e.g. platform buddy for Mario).

Which brings me to another point...  As I played the Pikmin game, I heard a couple people asking, "So is this for the Wii or the new one?" and I suspect it was because I was standing there holding a Wii controller.  Not that we didn't see this coming, but N has seriously confused those additional gamers they picked up during the Wii boost.  Mario Chase was especially confusing to people given the mix of controllers, and the reps were having a tough time answering questions, they were sticking to the official patter.  The bottom line is that with the WIIU, N's now milking a very exclusive subset of those Wii owners: those who are informed enough to follow the Wii to WIIU shift, or rather, those who aren't confused as hell by all of this.

I don't see how future iterations of consoles aren't going to progressively become harder and harder for Nintendo to sustain if they keep this up.  It's fair to N to say that we're now outside of the so-called Launch Window, and the WIIU looks to have a very challenging holiday ahead.  At the rate they're currently headed, not only is Nintendo going to officially lose the momentum they built from the Wii, they're going to lose ground in the home console market.  Not like a tiny bit, they're going to lose A LOT.

So for morons to like your game system, you have to sell them a new set of $50 controllers that are incompatible with the previous version? I'll forward this over to nintendo.

I sold my Wii U yesterday after being completely underwhelmed by the slate of releases coming all the way until Spring 2014.  I never have felt so indifferent about selling a console.  In past experiences, I would debate internally at great length before selling a console because I usually miss some games or features, but with the Wii U I was very glad to have a portion of my money recouped and feel like I'm missing nothing special.  I stopped trying to convince myself that the Wind Waker HD port, the only title I was really interested in, would be enough to own the system until the possibility of games I want get announced at E3 2014.

I really wanted to like this system, but Nintendo pretty much has showed me that they're not concerned with making new and exciting titles.  No new Zelda coming for at least a full year, our 3D Mario is an upgraded version of a 3DS game, I never have cared for Smash and if I did I can just get it on my 3DS.  It seems like the 3DS is getting, and already has, way more exciting titles than the Wii U has or will be getting for the foreseeable future. 

I bought my deluxe Wii U at launch, and still never saw a good use of the tablet.  I saw terrible battery life, and some very annoying camera controls.  I never understood the benefit of the Digital Deluxe promotion that us "deluxe" system owners were supposed to get.  Nintendo still has not figured out how to deliver a solid and exciting online ecosystem.  They still are making us wait for the 1-2 Virtual Console release a week when the Wii has an entire VC game library available right now.  It makes no sense.

I'm not trying to make anyone mad, because these are just my feelings & experiences.  If you own and enjoy your Wii U, that's awesome and I'm very happy for you.  I just wanted to vent my own personal experience, because Nintendo has made some of my all-time favorite games in the past, and I still LOVE their handhelds.

I just don't see a game announced for the Wii U system that I want to play, lots for the 3DS though, and if I had more time to sit and play my 3DS I would purchase more games for it because it has an incredible library. I might pick it up in 2-3 years if it has any games I want to play on it, but by then they will hopefully have some kind of upgraded system with the larger battery they are releasing in Japan. The $350 price tag is way too much for a system with hardly any games and little support from 3rd parties.

Sounds like a lot of morons in your area.
N likes the cut of your jib, sailor. Same goes for the moo making similar comments.

The customer's the moron in this case, not the braintrust who decided on the name or failed to illustrate the necessity of the tablet and further obfuscated the difference between generations by demoing a new title for the newest console using last gen controllers.

The customers are the morons.

y'all is crazy

The fall/winter lineup is the strongest Nintendo has had in YEARS. From 2009-2011 you were lucky to get one solid core release per holiday season...from now until December we are getting five (six if you count Luigi U). The X1/PS4 launch lineup exclusives are weaksauce (with the possible exception of Knack) and the PS3/360 slate is almost barren.

And yes, the people who don't "get" how to use the controller are fucking stupid. My five year old just started gaming this year and knew how to play Ski on her first try. I won't deny that Nintendo has done a terrible job demoing the Game Pad's potential but come the fuck on, if they can't figure out something as simple as Ski then they shouldn't be spending money on any gaming device.

Nintendo's marketing has been horrible.

Once you get a gamepad in your hand, how it works seems to come easily for most, but until you do it looks much more daunting than 360 or PS3 controllers. After the masterstroke that was the WIImote, the gamepad LOOKS like a huge step back.

I fired up Wii U Panorama View (should be Pre-Installed Nintendo, WTF) and handed my mother the gamepad, she giggled while twirling about during the demo video. It isnt Wii Sports, but Nintendoland, Panorama View, and Game & Wario could each be a good bit of the gateway experience Wii Sports was for the Wii.

Unfortunately, Nitnendo's TV marketing has been awful so far. The Jimmy Fallon bits have been better, but not great. I have no idea why Reggie hasnt been on Ellen or other daytime shows, unless there is some thought that software that might work for that market is still to be coming.

The fact that the marketing (and perhaps the design/packaging of the system) didnt account for the confusion of the new gamepad highlights some of the real failures of Nintendo to anticipate their customers.

N likes the cut of your jib, sailor. Same goes for the moo making similar comments.

The customer's the moron in this case, not the braintrust who decided on the name or failed to illustrate the necessity of the tablet and further obfuscated the difference between generations by demoing a new title for the newest console using last gen controllers.

The customers are the morons.
Demoing pikmin's just a moronic idea altogether. Using the control scheme from Pikmin 2 for Wii instead of making a new one with the touch screen? That's the mark of a class A moron. Pikmin 2's controls suck, and anyone thinking this is going to move systems is a bigger moron than the demorons in Moronnesota.

Demoing pikmin's just a moronic idea altogether. Using the control scheme from Pikmin 2 for Wii instead of making a new one with the touch screen? That's the mark of a class A moron. Pikmin 2's controls suck, and anyone thinking this is going to move systems is a bigger moron than the demorons in Moronnesota.
There's a control scheme for just the Wii U, but they haven't shown it.

Pikmin 3 was one of the reasons I picked up my Wii U two months ago... The game will certainly give people more incentive to by the console, which will lead to more console sales. Do I think this will sell millions of consoles? No, but it will get people excited and generate positive buzz for the console. You are a moron for thinking Pikmin 3 will not help Wii U sales.

I just find this amusing cause the guy next to Conan is a buddy of mine who I used to work at Best Buy with when I lived in Seattle:

7001_10200955629948882_1222840383_n.jpg

As much as I love Pikmin, the franchise is not a triple A system seller.  Pikmin is a "support" game.  i.e. people can look at the WiiU library and say, oh Mario, Nintendoland, Rayman, Lego, Pikmin... I'm finally in.  It's a strong title when looking at the library as a whole and could push some over the fence to finally buy in because the library is stronger.

That aside, I rented Sonic & All Stars Racing and, eff me, it's the best Kart game I've played in years.  The single player is strong compared to MK which has always been weak.  Tons of unlockables, challenges, characters, mods, leveling, etc.  The plane, kart, boat thing is fun and clearly reminiscent of Diddy Kong Racing.

Disclaimer: I've only enjoyed 2 non Mario Kart racers, Crash Team Racing and Diddy Kong.  Mario Kart is so stale it's laughable.  Using the stable of Sega IPs is just fantastic and what Nintendo should have done years ago with Mario Kart.  Turn it into Nintendo Team Racing with Samus, Link, Pit, Mario & crew, Olimar, etc.  Basically Smash Bros. with Karts.  I'm sure MK 8 or whatever is coming to WiiU will be fine, but that's the problem, "fine" is lazy.

bread's done
Back