Wii U - General Discussion Thread

People like to predict doom and gloom for Nintendo without remembering that they have the 3DS, lol. Even if they stopped making consoles, they would make a shit ton with just their handheld.

Is the Wii U doomed? Maybe, Nintendo? That's a goddamned laugh. I'm pretty sure this was their best fiscal year in 4 years and they are already profitable again after having one bad year. Worst case scenario it probably will be like the N64/GC days where they were last but made plenty of money while MS posts $900 million in losses (granted not thanks to the games division but still) and Sony still teeters on the brink of disaster with things like posting a loss of 6.4 billion last year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Knowing the Wii accessories work on Wii U is nice for those who don't like the tablet controller. I wonder how well accessories (both Wii and Wii U) are selling.

I was looking at the Wii U description again and I forgot that it only has 32GB's of internal memory. I remember reading something about using SD cards or a portable drive if you needed additional memory. Is this still the case or is there a way to add a new drive like you can on the PS3 and Xbox 360?  

Is the Wii U doomed? Maybe, Nintendo? That's a goddamned laugh. I'm pretty sure this was their best fiscal year in 4 years and they are already profitable again after having one bad year. Worst case scenario it probably will be like the N64/GC days where they were last but made plenty of money while MS posts $900 million in losses (granted not thanks to the games division but still) and Sony still teeters on the brink of disaster with things like posting a loss of 6.4 billion last year.
That's the thing people never take into account with Nintendo, they are a highly efficient company that makes a profit regardless of their market position (and they do it without resorting to layoffs, either). Meanwhile you have other companies spending literally billions to become the dominant market leader but it takes a long time to make that up.

Microsoft took an absolute blasting entering the console market with the original Xbox, as a whole they might be the current common gamer's OMG best system ever but that division is not run very well from a business perspective. We'll probably never know how much research, development, and infrastructure went into the Xbox 1always connected plan but it almost had to be well into 9 figures or more. Some of that might be repurposed but that's gotta be a huge hit to their bottom line. Lest we also forget, the Xbox division head who just left got his position because of the vacancy created in the wake of the loss they took replacing red ring systems. The last I saw was the total loss from replacing red rings and associated costs was close to $2 billion, that's a lotta chedda....

Then there's the current darling Sony in the wake of that Xbox drama. While everyone's hyped about their price on the system, its a significant gamble for them as I have to imagine they're taking a significant loss on each system sold. If even Nintendo's specs and price are causing them a loss on WiiU, I can only imagine a system that's only $50 more is taking a significant loss per system.

These companies are operating like the equivalent of that family down the street that looks ridiculously rich because they have all the newest cars and other toys but in reality they're teetering on bankruptcy and drowning in credit debt. Public image is one thing but the behind the scenes paints a very different picture

People like to predict doom and gloom for Nintendo without remembering that they have the 3DS, lol. Even if they stopped making consoles, they would make a shit ton with just their handheld.
Who said anything about doom and gloom for nintendo as a whole? I'm just saying it's pretty pathetic that a new console, that has been out for several months, is being outsold by its 7 year predecessor.

People like to point the Vita out as failing but it isn't being outsold by the PSP.

Who said anything about doom and gloom for nintendo as a whole? I'm just saying it's pretty pathetic that a new console, that has been out for several months, is being outsold by its 7 year predecessor.

People like to point the Vita out as failing but it isn't being outsold by the PSP.
If I remember correctly, the PS2 was outselling the PS3 for quite awhile.

Edit: yeah this was from july 2009. Almost 2 years after Ps3 came out, lol http://www.ign.com/articles/2009/07/30/sony-first-quarter-ps2-outsells-ps3-psp

To be fair, the Wii is far easier to find new in stores than the PSP (not a single store in my area sells new PSPs), otherwise there is no doubt the PSP would outsell the Vita. Also, the Wii is considerably cheaper than the Wii U, coupled with poor marketing by Nintendo, it is no surprise that the Wii is outselling the Wii U.

To be fair, the Wii is far easier to find new in stores than the PSP (not a single store in my area sells new PSPs), otherwise there is no doubt the PSP would outsell the Vita. Also, the Wii is considerably cheaper than the Wii U, coupled with poor marketing by Nintendo, it is no surprise that the Wii is outselling the Wii U.
...which are the exact reasons Nintendo should've pulled remaining Wii bundles and replaced them with Wii U bundles at a $250-300 price point. If you're going ahead with backwards compatibility on the new console it makes little sense to keep pushing the old one (other than price point).

I'd say Nintendo really has one more year to turn it around. If we were to judge the PS3's fate one or even two years after it's launch, it was looking pretty damn grim, like seriously to the point of there possibly not being a PS4 (although I believe part of that was also due to their other divisions failing miserably as well). Will they "win"? Probably not, but they could still be very successful if things like Mario Kart and Smash Bros really move consoles and they actually manage to get the message and marketing out (supposedly they are ramping up a big campaign for the holidays) that this is a new and different console.

I'd say Nintendo really has one more year to turn it around. If we were to judge the PS3's fate one or even two years after it's launch, it was looking pretty damn grim, like seriously to the point of there possibly not being a PS4 (although I believe part of that was also due to their other divisions failing miserably as well). Will they "win"? Probably not, but they could still be very successful if things like Mario Kart and Smash Bros really move consoles and they actually manage to get the message and marketing out (supposedly they are ramping up a big campaign for the holidays) that this is a new and different console.
The PS3 had even fewer games the spring after launch and had 3 times this number of sales its weakest quarter...

Tell me about it. I've been trying to sell an extra game I picked up from the Blockbuster sale and so far I've had to cancel 3 sales in a row over the name confusion. I message them before shipping to make sure they want it for the Wii U and all 3 times the buyers didn't realize it isn't for the original Wii (though they do seem to be aware that there is a new system at least). This is despite a picture showing the game and disc, and text in my auction stating that it is not compatible with the original Wii. Clearly some of the fault here lies with Nintendo's name choice and subsequent marketing though the majority of the blame goes to the buyers for being stereotypical idiotic eBay users ;).
This is why I sell on Amazon. Also, no nonsensical paypal disputes.

It's ridiculous, I have no problem with them porting older titles that maybe Nintendo fans just didn't get a chance to play or people starved for something to play on their Wii U might buy, but things like ME3 being $60 when the trilogy was the same price on other consoles or Lego Batman 2 for $50 when it's $20 on other consoles. Granted it seems like after Deus Ex the older ports are pretty much done but they pull shit like this and complain when nobody buys it.

It's ridiculous, I have no problem with them porting older titles that maybe Nintendo fans just didn't get a chance to play or people starved for something to play on their Wii U might buy, but things like ME3 being $60 when the trilogy was the same price on other consoles or Lego Batman 2 for $50 when it's $20 on other consoles. Granted it seems like after Deus Ex the older ports are pretty much done but they pull shit like this and complain when nobody buys it.
Yeah, the Mass Effect situation was, to me, EA literally giving Nintendo the finger and ending any illusions of a 'partnership'. Releasing the trilogy set like two weeks before the Wii U launch was just such a dick move. Releasing *just* ME3 on Wii U was weird to begin with, but that was the icing on the shit cake.

From a business perspective, I get that companies don't feel like the money or time to make Wii U ports comparable is worth it. The problem is, it puts those of use who own the system, enjoy the system, and WANT to support third parties on it in a difficult position. For me, buying Splinter Cell on Wii U wasn't even a question... that was happening. Now, I'm not sure. At the very least, this means I'm going to wait instead of getting it day one, which pushes the purchase into the fall, which then means I'm less likely to buy because of the sheer amount of Fall titles. It hurts the Wii U, and it hurts the bottom line of Ubisoft. I genuinely don't get it.

Sigh.

Hey, at least Pikmin 3 is incredible.

I was probably going to get Splinter Cell Blacklist on Wii U because I assumed it would have the ability to play co-op with one person on the TV and one on the gamepad. Now they not only aren't using the advantage the Wii U has... they are dropping offline co-op entirely. The gametype that would make the best use of the gamepad is the gametype the Wii U isn't getting. 

I was probably going to get Splinter Cell Blacklist on Wii U because I assumed it would have the ability to play co-op with one person on the TV and one on the gamepad. Now they not only aren't using the advantage the Wii U has... they are dropping offline co-op entirely. The gametype that would make the best use of the gamepad is the gametype the Wii U isn't getting.
Maybe if there is no outrage they will make a patch that updates with offline co-op? I sure hope they do.

what is the game actually about?

why is this type of game suited for local coop?
Basically, you play as Sam Fisher, a spy in a secret government organization known as Fourth Echelon, goes on solo missions to prevent acts of terrorism on the United States. It is a stealth based game, similar to the Hitman and Metal Gear series. However, you can still "run-and-gun" as you play the game.

As for co-op, you play as two spies in Fourth Echelon, and you complete different missions than the ones in single player. The co-op missions are usually pretty fun, because you have to work together with another person to complete the mission. The co-op experience usually adds a few hours to the experience as well.

tumblr_mattlqvLiO1qjchpwo1_400.gif

I can see why people are having problems on eBay. People don't know what the Wii U is. A family member and I were talking about tablets and he brought up that he heard that Nintendo put out a "Wii Me or something like that and it's got Internet". Anecdotal to be sure and he doesn't play video games but he damn well knew what the original Wii was.

I can see why people are having problems on eBay. People don't know what the Wii U is. A family member and I were talking about tablets and he brought up that he heard that Nintendo put out a "Wii Me or something like that and it's got Internet". Anecdotal to be sure and he doesn't play video games but he damn well knew what the original Wii was.
alot of people that are not hard core into gaming still thinks wii u is a 300/350 doller ad on the the wii not shocked about everything that is going on with the wii u and sale issues. plus nintendo marketing for the system since the start has been awful i almost never see any wii u ads on tv or internet unlike 360 and ps3 still has tons.

Yeah it's not like it was the most popular game console for five years or sold 100 million systems or anything

You mean non gaming people don't know there is a new system out? HOLY CRAP!

lol if you asked non gaming people about the new xbox or play station they won't have any idea either.

Direct tomorrow, sounds like they are going to talk mostly about their holiday line-up some more.
You mean non gaming people don't know there is a new system out? HOLY CRAP!

lol if you asked non gaming people about the new xbox or play station they won't have any idea either.
i know alot of people that don't follow gaming and knows about x1 and ps4 coming out seeing the stuff is all over and when the x1 was bs it was all over the news not for a good reason but was talked about.

Ive watched videos of a guy walking around asking just randomly asking people about the new systems and most had no fucking clue what they were or anything about them, lol.

Direct tomorrow, sounds like they are going to talk mostly about their holiday line-up some more.
Probably release dates through December. Hopefully some updates on the VC for both consoles. I nice surprise would be a first party game for 2014 but it is already stacked as of now.

Ive watched videos of a guy walking around asking just randomly asking people about the new systems and most had no fucking clue what they were or anything about them, lol.
Yea but those systems haven't been released yet. The Wii-U has been out for 9 months now. By this holiday, people will know what the Wii-U is :)

Then I guess they'll have lackluster preorder numbers and first month/year sales too.... :roll:

or NOT :rofl:

The Wii U didn't even have a big release event. Once the release month rolls up those that weren't aware that the next generation of Microsoft and Sony consoles were on horizon surely will.

Wii U actually didn't have lackluster pre-order numbers. Their pre-orders were very strong.

But honestly, what you just said doesnt even make sense. Ofc people who are into games are going to be pre-ordering these systems. It doesnt change the fact that people that have no idea about gaming have no idea about new systems.

Wii U actually didn't have lackluster pre-order numbers. Their pre-orders were very strong.

But honestly, what you just said doesnt even make sense. Ofc people who are into games are going to be pre-ordering these systems. It doesnt change the fact that people that have no idea about gaming have no idea about new systems.

Parents will be made aware of the system because what do parents do in November? They get ready for the biggest shopping day of the year and they get Christmas lists from their children and relatives and what do you think will be on most lists?

Also you can bet their will be TV and print ads everywhere up to release.

Nintendo needs to put a commercial out that just says "Wii U, it's a new console" in big, bold letters for 30-seconds.  It might be boring, but it's blunt as hell and to the point.  It's also an interesting ad since people who aren't paying attention to the TV will look up to see if their channel froze or something.

Also, Wii U and 3DS are getting shared balance/wallet soon.  So if you add money to your Wii U eShop account, that amount will show up on 3DS and vice versa.  This basically means that an account system is being implemented, at least partially, considering Nintendo's baby steps about everything.

Also, Wii U and 3DS are getting shared balance/wallet soon. So if you add money to your Wii U eShop account, that amount will show up on 3DS and vice versa. This basically means that an account system is being implemented, at least partially, considering Nintendo's baby steps about everything.
Wait, what, when? That would be great!

Parents will be made aware of the system because what do parents do in November? They get ready for the biggest shopping day of the year and they get Christmas lists from their children and relatives and what do you think will be on most lists?
Also you can bet their will be TV and print ads everywhere up to release.
Yep. Every year the "what's hot this holiday season" segments of popular TV morning and news shows are aired. I can pretty much guarantee that the new consoles will be on them this year.

I saw this a few months ago on IGN. I thought it was funny and it seems appropriate for tomorrow.
iVTT7iHZ0KMgK.gif
or not :bouncy: i was kind of excited for this thing and only thing we got worth talking about is release date for a hd remake which im not buying seeing i still have it for game cube. maybe nintendo will show stuff worth talking about at toko game show.

Yep. Every year the "what's hot this holiday season" segments of popular TV morning and news shows are aired. I can pretty much guarantee that the new consoles will be on them this year.
i can't remember the last time i seen a tv ad or even a ad on the internet for the wii u system no joke. I really wonder how nintendo thinks they can sell a system with NO ads. I still see tons of ads for 360 and ps3 and those systems are about to be done in 3 months. I don't care what games nintendo has coming out. If nintendo don't step up their game and put money into that system wii u will be barried by ps4 and x1 i have no questions about it.

I really hope nintendo home system market goes down the tubes maybe we will some day see nintendo first party games on ps4 and x1 just like sega. :bouncy:

that will change once ms and sony spends millions and millions once they announce release date for their systems. Nintendo can't compare with amount of ads that these other systems will have.

or not :bouncy: i was kind of excited for this thing and only thing we got worth talking about is release date for a hd remake which im not buying seeing i still have it for game cube. maybe nintendo will show stuff worth talking about at toko game show.
What is the release date for the Wind Waker? I know it is in October, but was a specific day given?

bread's done
Back