Wii U - General Discussion Thread

I have seen a bunch on Cartoon Network. I have seen a few start on ESPN, but Comcast cuts it off for their own commercials.

Has anyone used that Wii U booster Nyko thing?  It got some kind of bad reviews.  

I went ahead and put in my backorder anyway, though.  My gamepad seems to lose charge pretty quickly.  It's not bad to plug it in since I keep the cord by the sofa, but just the same, it's more fun unplugged.

Here is one of the commercials I think you guys are referring too, pretty clever using the mom of the "triforce of power"

www.gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=217256

Also 4.0.2 firmware update is out which adds more system stability and other minor improvements ;).

Deader2818 said:
Man I cant wait for Mario 3D world!
It comes out this Friday right? Even though I have Amazon Prime I am getting somewhat hosed by them - it shows arrival next Wednesday. That doesn't seem 2-day to me, but whatever. Maybe it will actually ship a little faster when the time comes. They ought to just pack it with my X1 that is coming on Friday ;).

I'm pretty much locked into getting it at Amazon since I got it with the Gold Box discount and I applied $25 of customer service credit (for a game they lost from a trade-in submission of mine).

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone used that Wii U booster Nyko thing? It got some kind of bad reviews.

I went ahead and put in my backorder anyway, though. My gamepad seems to lose charge pretty quickly. It's not bad to plug it in since I keep the cord by the sofa, but just the same, it's more fun unplugged.

The only shitty thing about it is that the stand mechanism is almost impossible to open and kind of flimsy to boot. The battery backup is perfect though.

It comes out this Friday right? Even though I have Amazon Prime I am getting somewhat hosed by them - it shows arrival next Wednesday. That doesn't seem 2-day to me, but whatever.
I have Prime, too, and I've grown accustomed to its habits and estimates. You're right, that is definitely weird *if* the game is available to them to ship on Friday.

The weekend complicates things, so Wednesday deliveries can be associated with orders on late Saturdays, early Mondays, or Sundays (which from Amazon's perspective are effectively early Mondays). Amazon usually defaults to a conservative estimate, so it's likely you might get it on a Tuesday. Usually that's what happens if you get a Wednesday Prime estimate on an item with a full weekend between the order date and the est. delivery date.

Whatever the case, their estimate suggests to me the game isn't available to Amazon to ship on Friday and early Saturday -- in other words, they aren't sending it out until Saturday PM. I've never ordered a new release online, is that usually how online retailers handle things with release dates? Seems lame of them to me.

It comes out this Friday right? Even though I have Amazon Prime I am getting somewhat hosed by them - it shows arrival next Wednesday. That doesn't seem 2-day to me, but whatever. Maybe it will actually ship a little faster when the time comes. They ought to just pack it with my X1 that is coming on Friday ;).

I'm pretty much locked into getting it at Amazon since I got it with the Gold Box discount and I applied $25 of customer service credit (for a game they lost from a trade-in submission of mine).
You should contact CS and get it sorted out beforehand rather than just accepting it. That's the only way they'll learn from these stupid mistakes.

Customer Service has always done right by me!  E-mail them!  If nothing else, they might give you a bit of a discount or something if they can't get you the game on time.

I had been thinking this came out Thursday cause I'm dumb!  Suppose it does come out "Thursday" for me, at 11 pm, but I had been thinking Wednesday night at 11 pm.  I'm always confused by such things.

FriskyTanuki said:
You should contact CS and get it sorted out beforehand rather than just accepting it. That's the only way they'll learn from these stupid mistakes.
It has now updated to say Tuesday - which still kind of sucks but technically that is "2-day shipping" according to Amazon (since UPS doesn't count weekends). I might fire off an email wondering why it won't get there Monday, though, and see what they do though. Another CAG posted on the X1 preorder thread that he called in about this game and they upgraded him to release day shipping.

^ Only if they get the game in advance though.

OK, my email was responded to pretty quickly. Here's what they said:

Hello,

I'm very sorry about the delay in sending your order.

While looking into this, I found a problem that was preventing your order from shipping. This is corrected now, and your order will be shipping soon.

I'd like to get your order to you faster to help make up for the delay, so I've upgraded the shipping method to One-Day Shipping. There's no additional charge for this. A detailed summary of your adjusted order can be found here:

xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I can confirm that we still expect to ship your order in time to be delivered to you by November 22, 2013.
So, yeah, the new estimate on the order is Friday. Of course, I still don't fully trust that because my NBA 2K14 PS4 order still shows estimated delivery on Monday, Nov. 18th, and here it is Tuesday the 19th and no UPS yet (as of 6:30PM - they are usually here by now)...

Looks like Super Mario 3D World is the best of the Fall/Winter releases (including both launch lineups for PS4/X1):

http://www.metacritic.com/game/wii-u/super-mario-3d-world
Launch line-ups pretty much always stink. Gone are the days of getting a fantastic Mario game with your new system (or hell, even Sonic the Hedgehog... or Tetris).

Imagine if the 3DS had launched with Mario 3D Land and A Link Between Worlds. Holy crap! I know the 3DS is doing well anyway, but it wasn't at first.

And imagine if the Wii U had launched with Mario 3D World and Wind Waker HD. Better yet, a new Zelda.

Or maybe I'm naive and it doesn't matter anymore.

Launch line-ups pretty much always stink. Gone are the days of getting a fantastic Mario game with your new system (or hell, even Sonic the Hedgehog... or Tetris).

Imagine if the 3DS had launched with Mario 3D Land and A Link Between Worlds. Holy crap! I know the 3DS is doing well anyway, but it wasn't at first.

And imagine if the Wii U had launched with Mario 3D World and Wind Waker HD. Better yet, a new Zelda.

Or maybe I'm naive and it doesn't matter anymore.
I don't think it matters anymore. Launch line-ups are sort of doomed from the start. It feels like if the genuinely lackluster offerings don't get you, cynicism will. I thoroughly enjoyed NSMBWiiU, but many gamers gave it a pass because it failed to reinvent the wheel. Meanwhile, a proof of concept title like Nintendoland was dismissed as "just minigames" that failed where Wii Sports soared, nevermind that many dismissed Wii Sports as waggling. Basically, there's no pleasing everyone, but their dissatisfaction shouldn't determine your personal satisfaction.

I don't think it matters anymore. Launch line-ups are sort of doomed from the start. It feels like if the genuinely lackluster offerings don't get you, cynicism will. I thoroughly enjoyed NSMBWiiU, but many gamers gave it a pass because it failed to reinvent the wheel. Meanwhile, a proof of concept title like Nintendoland was dismissed as "just minigames" that failed where Wii Sports soared, nevermind that many dismissed Wii Sports as waggling. Basically, there's no pleasing everyone, but their dissatisfaction shouldn't determine your personal satisfaction.
I'm pretty satisfied now, but I just bought my Wii U. :) So in addition to Mario 3D World, I've got the semi-oldie Zelda, and I've got the launch titles. I suppose I dismissed NSMBU, but now I see it's my favorite Mario game since Mario World. It is a bit rough, because I'm used to the absolute sea of games on 3DS, more than I will ever have time to play, and meanwhile there are only three I'm very interested in on Wii U so far, and another I'm interested but not as interested in, all first-party stuff.

But I really enjoy the Wii compatibility mode on the gamepad, the VC, and a lot of other stuff, so I'm certainly satisfied.

Wii U is really ending the year with a bang.

Lately I've been playing more games on the system than any other console (aside from my 3DS). 

Wii U is really ending the year with a bang.

Lately I've been playing more games on the system than any other console (aside from my 3DS).
Nintendo really stepped their game up this year. I mean between Pikmin, NSLU, Mario 3D World, and Wind Waker HD. Those four games alone make the WiiU worth owning. I am glad I own a WiiU.

Depressing...I went to Best Buy to pick up my XO games and was going to pick up 3D World but they didn't have any on display. They also didn't have the new Zelda out either. I don't know if they just haven't put them out yet or what. Just sad, they lost a sale there.

I stopped by WalMart this morning, and they were rocking a fat stack of the new Zelda title. Check there if Best Buy has failed you.

I stopped by WalMart this morning, and they were rocking a fat stack of the new Zelda title. Check there if Best Buy has failed you.
Hmmm, I will run by there on Sunday. I have today off put pjs on and playing Wii U while waiting for my Xbox to show up. I'm not leaving the house until Sunday but will try there.

Yeah, my Walmart has a ton of copies of both Zelda and Mario. 

I was out there looking for Swap Force (for Wii) for my nephews.  Sure enough, every version is in-stock...except for the Wii version. 

I was just at Costco last night noticing the huge stash of Wii (not Wii U) version of Swap Force Super Bundle Pack, if that is an option for you. Seems like there were more copies for Wii than any other version.
Sadly, no Costco near me. Are they doing the $37 price that Walmart is doing?

My girlfriend is stopping by another Walmart tonight while she travels. I'm hoping she has some luck getting one.

Sadly, no Costco near me. Are they doing the $37 price that Walmart is doing?
Nah, Costco just has the Super Bundles for Wii, PS3 and 360, they like to go big or not at all on their stuff, though they are $10 cheaper than most places for the bundle. The basic starter pack is a much better deal though if you can find it, good luck.

Depressing...I went to Best Buy to pick up my XO games and was going to pick up 3D World but they didn't have any on display. They also didn't have the new Zelda out either. I don't know if they just haven't put them out yet or what. Just sad, they lost a sale there.

According to several people on NeoGAF this is a widespread problem with BB. Picked mine up at 12am so my BB didn't have them out for sale yet anyway.

Played through the first 2 worlds of Mario 3D World tonight with my son - fun was had as expected. We were shocked by the cannon power-up when we got that at the end of World 2.

This is a crazy console day for me. Earlier this afternoon I setup the Xbox One and downloaded Dead Rising 3 for my other son though I didn't play it myself. Then I played some NBA 2K14 on the PS4, followed by Mario. Later I will probably go back to the PS3 to play Tales of Graces. I'm not sure I've ever used 4 consoles in a single day before. I should play a game on 360, Wii, GC, and PS2 just to round it out ;).

eBay's going to have a Wii U bundle for $249.99. No point in guessing which, as it just says 'bundle'.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/322725-ebay-black-friday-ad-112813-12213-updated-with-full-list-inside/
Good deal, really, especially if one doesn't have to pay sales tax, and either bundle is excellent unless you have a thing against either Mario or Zelda, or a thing against either physical or digital media... :) (Although I suppose it could be the old Nintendo Land bundle or the ZombiU bundle.)

Honest question: I have $65 in TRU gift cards/credit and a $5 GameStop coupon. Should I get a Zelda WiiU bundle, or should I try and get a Used WiiU Deluxe on the off chance it has some pre-paid digital games from the previous owner?

Honest question: I have $65 in TRU gift cards/credit and a $5 GameStop coupon. Should I get a Zelda WiiU bundle, or should I try and get a Used WiiU Deluxe on the off chance it has some pre-paid digital games from the previous owner?
Nah. Support Nintendo and the industry and just buy a new one instead of supporting Gamestop (or whomever). You probably won't get any digital games anyway.

Wait for a good deal (c.f. above) and save your credit to buy some games.

Well, right now the main game I want is Wind Waker. I will probably get Mario 3D World, Wonderful 101, and Arkham Origins, but I will wait for a deal or price drop. I really, really don't like paying more than $40 for a game.

You probably won't get any of those on a used Wii U.  :)  Maybe the eBay deal will be on the Wind Waker bundle.  You'd be all set.

Wonderful 101 and Arkham Origins will surely have price drops.  I doubt Mario 3D World ever will, maybe $10 off on a good sale.

I'm having more fun with the Wii U lately than any other system. I'm so back logged with great games for it that I'm frankly glad DK Tropical Freeze got delayed. New Mario is completely brilliant, but Splinter Cell and Assassin's Creed Black Flag are great and even CoD Ghosts is a blast. The Wii U community is so much friendlier than what you find on XBL and offscreen play is a total killer application.

bread's done
Back