Wii U - General Discussion Thread

Ok, but another major video gaming company does this as well. So, be upset with them as well.
Dude, the point is that they're doing these download codes then didn't spin up enough server capacity to meet demand. Therefore the codes cannot be redeemed and kids cannot play their games on Christmas Day. I have no problem with download codes.

I remember opening a Nintendo system, hooking it up, and playing the game that came packed in. Now they give a download code and don't provide enough server capacity for demand so kids planning on playing their packed in games can't do so. It's unacceptable. I have to wonder if Nintendo, because it's a Japanese company, seems to think it's "fine" to just wait for demand to return to normal levels and not bother spending extra cash to spin up more servers?
Having the servers go down is unacceptable I agree, if they want people to like their products they should be able to keep up with demand even on the busiest days. This does not bode well for when Pokemon Bank comes out on the 27th, if it even comes out, and its a paid service.

Dude, the point is that they're doing these download codes then didn't spin up enough server capacity to meet demand. Therefore the codes cannot be redeemed and kids cannot play their games on Christmas Day. I have no problem with download codes.

Ah ok so more like Sony and steam that are also having network issues today.

Having the servers go down is unacceptable I agree, if they want people to like their products they should be able to keep up with demand even on the busiest days. This does not bode well for when Pokemon Bank comes out on the 27th, if it even comes out, and its a paid service.
It's been out in Japan for a few days and there have been no problems.

I don't think "unacceptable" is quite correct but they really should do their best to minimize the impact. You don't want to build a server farm that can handle Christmas Day with ease at 80% usage but spends the rest of the year at 5% as it's peak daily usage. It has to be really hard to get that one right. Everything in the chain has to be working perfectly and ready for peak load for one day a year. Phone companies have a similar problem on mother's day but the difference is that not everyone really wants to chat with their mom so they don't complain about it. Still, phone companies are pretty good about this stuff and they still max out from time to time.

I don't think "unacceptable" is quite correct but they really should do their best to minimize the impact. You don't want to build a server farm that can handle Christmas Day with ease at 80% usage but spends the rest of the year at 5% as it's peak daily usage. It has to be really hard to get that one right. Everything in the chain has to be working perfectly and ready for peak load for one day a year. Phone companies have a similar problem on mother's day but the difference is that not everyone really wants to chat with their mom so they don't complain about it. Still, phone companies are pretty good about this stuff and they still max out from time to time.
It's still down. There's no excuse for this.

I was just gifted a Wii U and spent hours on Christmas with siblings playing SM3DW. Game's amazing.

I also ran into some network-related errors setting the system up, but reading the last several posts indicates it wasn't just me having problems.

Well, I don't feel so bad about not getting around to opening gifts until 10pm last night and didn't get further than putting a screen protector on the gamepad and charging it.  Hopefully the issues are gone by later this morning when I try to set it up.

So the servers were down yesterday? My son got a WiiU for Christmas and we couldn't link the Nintendo Network ID from the 3DS to the WiiU. I reset my password a couple of times and just kept getting stuck in an endless loop of trying to log in and perform a system update. Eventually I just did the update without linking accounts but I'm hoping it wasn't a one time thing. the update took forever too - so annoying but the system is a blast so far so that's good.

We are finally playing Wind Waker now and he is loving it. Nintendoland is way better than I thought it would be. The games where the camera is on are hilarious.

So the servers were down yesterday? My son got a WiiU for Christmas and we couldn't link the Nintendo Network ID from the 3DS to the WiiU. I reset my password a couple of times and just kept getting stuck in an endless loop of trying to log in and perform a system update. Eventually I just did the update without linking accounts but I'm hoping it wasn't a one time thing. the update took forever too - so annoying but the system is a blast so far so that's good. We are finally playing Wind Waker now and he is loving it. Nintendoland is way better than I thought it would be. The games where the camera is on are hilarious.
The Wii U is a blast for my family too. Definitely way more funnier to play with others than by yourself with the Wii U. I got the Mario & Luigi bundle but may picked Nintendoland too based on your opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like they won't be fixing the eshop any time soon. I reiterate, this is completely unacceptable.

https://twitter.com/nintendoamerica/status/416342543689715712

Looks like they won't be fixing the eshop any time soon. I reiterate, this is completely unacceptable.

https://twitter.com/nintendoamerica/status/416342543689715712
Hopefully this issue will be resolved shortly. I'm still waiting to download Windwaker. Can't say I'm surprised, given Nintendo's history or lack thereof with such network outages. This is no different than the groin pains Sony experienced last gen.

I'll just have to play Mario 3D World in the meantime.

One could look at this in a positive light - perhaps they sold more systems for Christmas than they anticipated? ;)

One could look at this in a positive light - perhaps they sold more systems for Christmas than they anticipated? ;)
That's good for Nintendo but it doesn't help me. I still can't move my kid's DSi content to the 3DS not can I load the $20 Nintendo cards for my kids.

I'm certain they sold a ton of 3DS handhelds, given all the special bundles and sales over the past month. Here's hoping to them having moved a few hundred thousand Wii U units as well but I doubt it.

That's good for Nintendo but it doesn't help me. I still can't move my kid's DSi content to the 3DS not can I load the $20 Nintendo cards for my kids.
I think perhaps you should just stop using Nintendo Products and write them a letter about how disappointed you are with them and that you will never support any of their products ever again.

Why, because I want my products to work as expected?
No, im being 100% serious here. If you really have an issue with the way they run things, then you should stop supporting them and let them know you will no longer buy their products. If you aren't happy with them, continuing to buy their products isn't going to make them change.

I think Nintendo just flat out underestimated how many people would be using Pokemon Bank. To crash their servers this badly (in only one country!) is quite a feat.

I thought the pokemon bank was delayed? They said its launch was delayed due to the network problems. It was released and they are un-releasing it?

We are having a lot of fun with our Wii U in spite of the network issues. I would like to download the bowling game and we want to transfer our Wii to it, but don't want to try that until this is resolved.

It was released in Japan only yesterday. The US was supposed to get it tomorrow. Nintendo apparently underestimated how much server space dozens of Pokemon being uploaded per person for the fastest gaming franchise ever.

How cool of Nintendo, I received a $40 gift card to Pizza Hut in the mail from them. Anybody else get one around here?

I think we all deserve pizza for the eShop troubles.  It's even worse for some reason on 3DS.  I wish it were due to them selling a ton of systems, but I think it's just the Japanese Pokemon Bank launch.

That's a cool gift for them to send out! 

Last random gift I got from them was a Wii Party gift pack back when that was released.  Came with the game/Motion Control Plus Wiimote and some party favors. 

---

My nephew is pretty bummed.  He just got a 3DS for Christmas and has been unable to update Pokemon X, redeem some of his eShop credit and such.  I feel pretty bad since I didn't know of the issues until we sat down to redeem his card.  :/

I thought I read the eshop was back up? I just tried and I still can't get into it nor can I do a system transfer. 3 days so far.
It was up last night for a bit. I was able to download Windwaker around 9PM EST. Nintendo announced earlier today that they were taking the network down until tomorrow morning for maintenance.

Their Twitter account said it would be up and down for a while. I've been able to access a few times tonight.

"@NintendoAmerica: The Nintendo eShop will be offline at different times around the world to manage traffic volume until full operation is restored."

Is anyone having trouble getting eshop cards to add credit? It tells me the card is 20 then I go to add funds and it gives me an error code. Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem.

Bought SM3DW the day it came out but didn't play it because I wanted my first time to be with my fiancee.  We finally played it for the first time today, and it is awesome!

eShop seems to be working well now. It started much faster than days past. I'm downloading the Wonderful 101 demo. Not too bad download speed.

Can you leave the shop once the download starts?

Feel sorry for Platinum games, w101 gets a price drop and is now a delisted sku, no less than what?  4 fucking months after it came out. So if you're interested in a physical copy get it while you can. Great marketing Nintendo.

Feel sorry for Platinum games, w101 gets a price drop and is now a delisted sku, no less than what? 4 fucking months after it came out. So if you're interested in a physical copy get it while you can. Great marketing Nintendo.
Truth of the matter is that Platinum makes wonderful games that don't sell. Until they have a hit franchise (beloved by the general public) their games will continue to struggle. That's the nature of the beast right now.

Seems to me Nintendo has been funding the continued existence of Platinum games, at least for the past 1.5-2 years.  No need to feel sorry for them. 

Ok I finally got the TVii feature set up and working, it works just like the TV guide app no surprise. It doesn't actually connect to a receiver you just select your provider. If you guys watch sports you have to try out the sports feature. I tried it last night and its crazy cool. I am not sure what the point is to collecting the points though for correct question answers but if you watch football it will show you every play right on the screen. So if you aren't following the game that close or don't understand it too well this can be an immense help. You can probably find another service on another device that does the same thing but I definitely recommend checking it out if you are a football fan.

The only problem here is the short battery life, if you watch consecutive games on Sunday like I do the gamepad won't make it past 3-4 hours (haven't actually tested it, I had it plugged in) and football games are really, really long, so be sure to have it plugged in. Though it would be quite difficult to make a battery that would last from 1pm to nearly 12 midnight without having to be charged. I use some other apps for the same purpose but one of them has gone severely downhill from when I started using it so I may be using this now.

bread's done
Back