Wii U - General Discussion Thread

Nintendo Direct Summary Tl:dr version:

reggie.png

Some people can't be impressed no matter what a company does lol.

birthday-cat-is-unimpressed.jpg

Hell, even if Nintendo invented a money printing machine, people would find a way to complain about it. :D

Sometimes you wonder why they even buy the consoles in the first place. It's like buying an iPhone and complaining that they don't change IOS or itunes to how they like it. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Nintendo Direct? More like....PLATFORMER DIRECT. Seriously, could they have shown more platformers? They were almost the entire fucking video.
While I'm burnt out on platformers at bit at the moment, that didn't bother me. Platformers are one of the main reasons I bother buying Nintendo hardware as it's tough to beat their platformer franchises. And there just aren't many platfomers on the other consoles. Though indie gaming is chaning that for sure.

That said, they do need to find a way to get variety in their game library. But we've discussed that to death in this thread lately, so no reason to beat a dead horse again.

Not counting it as a game, just saying it was something they showed.

Like I said, I'm all for platformers.  I just won't buy any more for a good while as I finished Raymay Orgins a few months back, NSMBU not that long ago (still have more to do, and haven't touched NSLU), am only at the start of World 4 in Mario 3D World, have Rayman Legends on the shelf etc. 

But I love the genre and it's one of the main reasons I got a Wii U, so the more the merrier.  But it's not selling consoles obviously, so they really need to mix it up and get some more variety. Aside from people waiting for Mario Kart 8, there's not a single thing shown today that would move any fence sitters to buy a Wii U in any great numbers.  Stuff like X and Bayonetta 2 are too niche. 

But it's really beating a dead horse.  The Wii U is a sales failure and there's nothing that can turn it around.  The best us owners can hope for is getting enough games to make our purchases feel justified before support is pulled in a year or two.  I figured I'd only get 10 or so games I wanted to play, and already have bought 4 and want to grab Wind Waker and Pikmin 3 at somepoint, so I know I'll get there.

Yeah, the PS4 is going to mop up this gen.

It won't sell as many units at the PS2, but it's margin over the 2nd place console will probably be similar in size.

The PS4 may be selling, but there is nothing on that system right now that remotely interests me besides Watch Dogs and Destiny and even that is another FPS game.  

The FPS genre is so overdone especially the last generation where most blockbuster titles were FPS games. 

Down the line there's MGS V, Uncharted, Kingdom Hearts, and Final Fantasy 15 but all of these games are a ways off.  2015 at the earliest so there's no point in buying one until then. 

Even for a hardcore playstation fan, buying a PS4 at this time is just a waste of money when there are a ton of PS3 games to play that offer much better, varied experiences. I guess it's worth it if you're into Battlefield 4 or Infamous... not worth it to me though. 

XB1 is even worse, but hey they get Titanfall... zzz.

I love a good FPS, but otherwise agree.

I'm drowning on stuff to play on PS3, Vita, 3DS and Wii U. So probably 2015 for PS4 for me as well.

considering how badly their numbers dropped in January? Its worrisome.
Everybody's numbers drop from December to January because of the end of the holiday season and no significant games come out to start most years, so why is it worrisome? If it doesn't pick up when Titanfall comes out, then there might be a reason to be concerned, but not for a typical post-holiday drop.

Everybody's numbers drop from December to January because of the end of the holiday season and no significant games come out to start most years, so why is it worrisome? If it doesn't pick up when Titanfall comes out, then there might be a reason to be concerned, but not for a typical post-holiday drop.
While this is true, even with drop, PS4s still sell out and are at times hard to find while Xbox Ones have been sitting on store shelves since a week before Christmas.

Its not like Sony isn't getting shipments out to create a fake supply and demand situation, they just can't make enough consoles to keep up with demand.

Both are facing the same game droughts but some how Sony is still moving consoles. While Xbox One does have Titanfall coming, so does PC and 360.

At least Sony's next big game is only on PS4..

While this is true, even with drop, PS4s still sell out and are at times hard to find while Xbox Ones have been sitting on store shelves since a week before Christmas.

Its not like Sony isn't getting shipments out to create a fake supply and demand situation, they just can't make enough consoles to keep up with demand.

Both are facing the same game droughts but some how Sony is still moving consoles. While Xbox One does have Titanfall coming, so does PC and 360.

At least Sony's next big game is only on PS4..
PS4 sells out because they didn't flood the market with them, so when somebody that wants one sees that their local store got a new shipment in, they'll grab it.

On the other hand, if somebody wants an Xbox One, there are enough on shelves that they don't have to rush if they want it for Titanfall or whatever. They can wait without worrying about it because Microsoft had an extra 900k consoles out there sitting on shelves. I'd be surprised if most of the people that wanted one in the launch rush didn't buy them by the end of 2013 and the numbers support that.

Nintendo would kill to have the Xbox One's "problems."

PS4 sells out because they didn't flood the market with them, so when somebody that wants one sees that their local store got a new shipment in, they'll grab it. On the other hand, if somebody wants an Xbox One, there are enough on shelves that they don't have to rush if they want it for Titanfall or whatever. They can wait without worrying about it because Microsoft had an extra 900k consoles out there sitting on shelves.
It's really that simple? Their sales arent as good this month because they put to much supply out?

It's really that simple? Their sales arent as good this month because they put to much supply out?
Compared to December? Yeah. The library and price differences are the same, so the launch rush to buy one dies down when it's plentiful.

You also might want to check the edit of that post rather than the ninja quote.

I think it still shows that more people want a PS4 than an Xbox One though. I don't its as simple as Sony is selling better because there are too many Xbox One on the shelf. Sony still has the launch rush. Xbox does not.

Isn't that a little grasping for straws at that point? You really want to count a game that they are throwing in when you buy NES Remix 2?
The remix some. They certainly showed platformer levels in it along with the whole "new" (hahaha) game which is a platformer. They showed a bunch of indie games and they were almost all platformers. I'm not spending another 40 minutes to watch it again but id bet if you add them up they're at least half the content shown.

The remix some. They certainly showed platformer levels in it along with the whole "new" (hahaha) game which is a platformer. They showed a bunch of indie games and they were almost all platformers. I'm not spending another 40 minutes to watch it again but id bet if you add them up they're at least half the content shown.
Well no shit remix was mostly platformers, lol.

If they put all supply out they would have nothing for the Japanese launch. Pachter was saying they could make at least a million a month if not 1.4 million. Let's round and say 300k to the US, 300k to Europe, then that only leaves 400-800k for Japan. They're no doubt holding a lot back. It's not as though they are purposely creating shortages.

I think it still shows that more people want a PS4 than an Xbox One though. I don't its as simple as Sony is selling better because there are too many Xbox One on the shelf. Sony still has the launch rush. Xbox does not.
That's kind of obvious. I never argued against that fact. I was responding to your point that Xbox One is in trouble because it's second place amongst the two best console launches we've ever seen.

That's kind of obvious. I never argued against that fact. I was responding to your point that Xbox One is in trouble because it's second place amongst the two best console launches we've ever seen.
I don't think that's accurate. The 360 was supply constrained Jan 2006 AND it sold better than the Xbox One - more in line with PS4 sales. Look at my previous post and the links. MS is saying that they sold better the first 3 months but if you look at Dec sales fell off a cliff and it wasn't even supply constrained. The Xbox One is in trouble . Not Wii U trouble but enough to guarantee a price cut this year.

I didn't say they are in trouble. Just that the numbers are worrisome. Its not the fact that they are in number 2. Its the fact that Sony is out selling them 2 to 1 Microsoft's strongest region.

If they were number 2 and Sony sold 200,000 and they sold 150,00-190,000 that's one thing, but being number 2 and selling half has many units? Yeah that's something to be a little concerned with.

Also, Im not even saying they are in trouble like the Wii U, just that in this gen so far, Sony appears to be getting a big lead. Granted same thing happened last gen with 360 and PS3 and in the end they pulled even.

I didn't say they are in trouble. Just that the numbers are worrisome. Its not the fact that they are in number 2. Its the fact that Sony is out selling them 2 to 1 Microsoft's strongest region.

If they were number 2 and Sony sold 200,000 and they sold 150,00-190,000 that's one thing, but being number 2 and selling half has many units? Yeah that's something to be a little concerned with.

Also, Im not even saying they are in trouble like the Wii U, just that in this gen so far, Sony appears to be getting a big lead. Granted same thing happened last gen with 360 and PS3 and in the end they pulled even.
I think they'll pull the Kinect and sell it for 400 later this year. Probably not until after E3. I'm sure they want the Titanfall buyers to pay full price for it. I have a feeling they'll be disappointed with the hardware sales the game pushes.

It's my understanding that Microsoft wants to make a profit on the hardware so they'll only bring the price down to 400 but the company has so much money that they could be a loss leader and subsidize any degree of hardware losses necessary. If they put out a Kinect-less SKU for 350 and a Kinect SKU for 450, I think they'd have a lot more sales and probably get out of this situation they're in before it's too late.

Why would it be worrisome or concerning if it weren't in some sort of trouble? It just reeks of a kneejerk reaction to a completely dead month. I don't see any reason for concern so far in the dead months of the year. If it doesn't pick up for Titanfall or their other big titles, then maybe there could be some concern, but that's a ways off from now.

Why would it be worrisome or concerning if it weren't in some sort of trouble? It just reeks of a kneejerk reaction to a completely dead month. I don't see any reason for concern so far in the dead months of the year. If it doesn't pick up for Titanfall or their other big titles, then maybe there could be some concern, but that's a ways off from now.
We are clearly just going to discuss in circles so ill just agree to disagree and wait and see what happens.

I like the idea of GBA games, but on the 3DS. It seems like they're going to look bad/pixelated on the Wii U. I suppose you could just play them on the pad, though.

They REALLY need to get some folders happening on the Wii U. It's dumb that they haven't implemented that, yet.

xbox brand is really only thing ms has going at this point windows 8 sales tanked from the start and 360 and xbox one are alive and well. at this point ms would be dumbto sell xbox brand.
Not true, the business division is by far the most profitable arm of M$ (Office reigns king). That said, they are not selling the Xbox division based on poor January or February sales. As it stands, Microsoft is betting the house on cloud computing, see new M$ CEO Satya Nadella,

As it stands, Microsoft is betting the house on cloud computing, see new M$ CEO Satya Nadella,
I know this is a WIIU thread, but is that true? I hope they don't put all their eggs in that basket. I would think he's got to put some effort into keeping developers interested in Windows altogether. Who knows.

On the Direct announcement, I take dmaul's view, although I take it a little more personally. It bugs me that it's come to this, that I see a Yoshi's Island follow-up and think, Meh, because I have very extreme (favorable) views of SWM2YI. The same was true of the Luigi's Mansion sequel. I don't think they did either of those titles any favors in terms of timing (too late) and platform (the 3DS screen isn't doing them any favors).

And while my impulse is to look away when it comes to Mario Kart, I can't help but peek through my fingers at the horror of it. Bikes, hovercraft, tricks, kites...oh, right, there's karts too. They're continuing to take actual control of the kart (rather, vehicle) away from the player, you can't go 4 seconds without a jump or item use. Pretty soon it'll be reduced to on-rails "karting" with quick time events. It's a great party title, now, I can see that, but it's not a karter.

It's too early to tell really. I do personally think Sony will win big, but we really won't have a strong sense of that until after the next holiday season.

We're still in the phase of 95% or more or sales being to early adopters and hardcore gamers. This group does have a big impact on the market as softcore gamers tend to buy whatever their hardcore gamer friends are gaming on most as that's what they're exposed to and they want to play games with them online etc. But it's still a smaller part of the market compared to the softcores and casuals.

So only time will tell which way those sales goes. The hardcore market is definitely shifting to Sony as MS alienated them with all the DRM nonsense. Even with the 180s, they still alienated that market with so much focus on the media stuff, forcing in Kinect which hardcore gamers don't want/care about and driving the price up $100 more than PS4 etc. I think softcores will follow and we'll see Sony win the sales race easily personally. But only time will tell.

If Titanfall is a huge hit, and MS can get out great Halo and Gears games within the first couple years along with some other big exclusives, they may again be a big hit in that dudebro shooter crowd--at least in the US--like they were with the 360. In that case the sales race will be much closer in the US and UK. But Sony will win big in the EU and Japan like they already did with the PS3, and win the overall sales race this time. They're neck in neck with PS3 vs. 360 and that's despite the bad start the PS3 got off to.

i guess you missed how ps3 in the last two years has been making giant come back. next gen is not even 3 months old and already saying that with at least 8 years till next gen nice logic
The Xbox 360 had a 10 million unit lead lead on the PS3 at launch. It took years of higher worldwide for them to catch up and they never did in the US. This is bad for Microsoft. This is really bad.

Not true, the business division is by far the most profitable arm of M$ (Office reigns king). That said, they are not selling the Xbox division based on poor January or February sales. As it stands, Microsoft is betting the house on cloud computing, see new M$ CEO Satya Nadella,
This is 100% accurate. Office is their cash cow. Windows still generates a lot of money also despite most people distaste for 8. We have no idea how well the Xbox is doing because the division is part of lost a shitload of money last year because the massive Surface tablets losses are in there with it.

I know this is a WIIU thread, but is that true? I hope they don't put all their eggs in that basket. I would think he's got to put some effort into keeping developers interested in Windows altogether. Who knows.

On the Direct announcement, I take dmaul's view, although I take it a little more personally. It bugs me that it's come to this, that I see a Yoshi's Island follow-up and think, Meh, because I have very extreme (favorable) views of SWM2YI. The same was true of the Luigi's Mansion sequel. I don't think they did either of those titles any favors in terms of timing (too late) and platform (the 3DS screen isn't doing them any favors).

And while my impulse is to look away when it comes to Mario Kart, I can't help but peek through my fingers at the horror of it. Bikes, hovercraft, tricks, kites...oh, right, there's karts too. They're continuing to take actual control of the kart (rather, vehicle) away from the player, you can't go 4 seconds without a jump or item use. Pretty soon it'll be reduced to on-rails "karting" with quick time events. It's a great party title, now, I can see that, but it's not a karter.
It's looking like MS is going to try to sell Office as a service to folks that need to use it on a lot of devices. They'll still have the regular software package but going forward the cloud is the way to go. People will be able to work on their stuff anywhere and on any device made by any manufacturer. I'm sure you can see the appeal of this?

As for MK8, I thought the additional characters were lame as shit. It's a bunch of 3rd string guys that no one's going to want to use more than once as an experiment.

It's too early to tell really. I do personally think Sony will win big, but we really won't have a strong sense of that until after the next holiday season.

We're still in the phase of 95% or more or sales being to early adopters and hardcore gamers. This group does have a big impact on the market as softcore gamers tend to buy whatever their hardcore gamer friends are gaming on most as that's what they're exposed to and they want to play games with them online etc. But it's still a smaller part of the market compared to the softcores and casuals.

So only time will tell which way those sales goes. The hardcore market is definitely shifting to Sony as MS alienated them with all the DRM nonsense. Even with the 180s, they still alienated that market with so much focus on the media stuff, forcing in Kinect which hardcore gamers don't want/care about and driving the price up $100 more than PS4 etc. I think softcores will follow and we'll see Sony win the sales race easily personally. But only time will tell.

If Titanfall is a huge hit, and MS can get out great Halo and Gears games within the first couple years along with some other big exclusives, they may again be a big hit in that dudebro shooter crowd--at least in the US--like they were with the 360. In that case the sales race will be much closer in the US and UK. But Sony will win big in the EU and Japan like they already did with the PS3, and win the overall sales race this time. They're neck in neck with PS3 vs. 360 and that's despite the bad start the PS3 got off to.
I agree. Microsoft has certainly shown a willingness to be flexible over the last 9 months so I expect a big price cut and possibly Kinect coming out of the box. Everyone's been saying 399.99 with no Kinect. I think that's very likely. I mentioned earlier - I think think the wiser move is for them to go 349.99 with no Kinect and 449.99 with Kinect packed in. They would shift a shitload of consoles and Sony wouldn't be able to afford to chase after them with these losses (and MS can absorb almost unlimted $'s of losses). At this point they need to play catch-up a little and get their momentum going. If they wait until 2015 or 2016 to try to undercut Sony's price, they'll never catch up in sales.

It's looking like MS is going to try to sell Office as a service to folks that need to use it on a lot of devices. They'll still have the regular software package but going forward the cloud is the way to go. People will be able to work on their stuff anywhere and on any device made by any manufacturer. I'm sure you can see the appeal of this?
I think it's still a gamble. I can already access and work on all my documents anywhere as all my computers have office on it and I use Dropbox to sync my files everywhere. Plenty of free or cheap office apps for iPad and other tablets already as well.

So MS is banking on people paying for stuff that they can do free or cheaply already. Yeah, there's the notion of not buying Office for each device. But a lot of people are like me and just get it free or cheap from their employer. Or don't care about having it on their personal devices and just work on their office PC and work provided laptop.

I agree. Microsoft has certainly shown a willingness to be flexible over the last 9 months so I expect a big price cut and possibly Kinect coming out of the box. Everyone's been saying 399.99 with no Kinect. I think that's very likely. I mentioned earlier - I think think the wiser move is for them to go 349.99 with no Kinect and 449.99 with Kinect packed in. They would shift a shitload of consoles and Sony wouldn't be able to afford to chase after them with these losses (and MS can absorb almost unlimted $'s of losses). At this point they need to play catch-up a little and get their momentum going. If they wait until 2015 or 2016 to try to undercut Sony's price, they'll never catch up in sales.
It just depends how stubborn MS is at wanting to push Kinect.

I disagree that Sony can't afford to match price. I think they'll at least match the X1 cheapest price throughout the whole gen. They lost their big PS2 lead from being too cocky and launch way too expensive with the PS3. They learned their lesson and will keep price competitive this entire generation. They have a huge stable of first party franchises with which to recoup money lost on console sales. The bigger the base they can build, the more money they can make on software and accessories. I see them doing whatever it takes to get their marketshare back up as much as possible.

I was hoping for Gamecube games on the virtual console, but that looks like it will have to wait until Nintendo's next console. Hopefully, they will be able to start that VC with everything that released on wii and wii u. This drip feed of games is getting ridiculous. You dont see apple re-releasing everything on a new ios everytime a new i device comes out.

I also think that some form of gamepad compatibility should be included with the next console. If it is true that it will be a portable console/home console device, Nintendo should make it so the wii u owners can use their gamepads with it. They dont have to include the pad with every console, just the ability to use it. This keeps costs down and shows some goodwill to the wii u buyers.

That I could see. Next console can stream to their next portable--that's a no brainer since PS4 and Vita already do it. And also let the Wii U Gamepad work with the new console for people who already have it.

I think they also need to get the next portable and console on the same architecture--with the portable weaker of course. Then they can make the games scaleable easily and sell versions of every game for each platform.

That would get both platforms game libraries unified and that's a solid game library even with little third party support. Having their development teams split across two platforms splits the library too thin on each. 3DS has the 3rd party support to bolster it, their home consoles have not from the N64 on.

I seriously don't know why they don't make Mario Kart more like Smash Bros in regards to roster, getting some other franchise characters in there or even a couple third-party legends would be a hell of a lot more interesting. It worked really well for the Sonic racing games.

I seriously don't know why they don't make Mario Kart more like Smash Bros in regards to roster, getting some other franchise characters in there or even a couple third-party legends would be a hell of a lot more interesting. It worked really well for the Sonic racing games.
I guess they just want to keep it a Mario franchise.

But they could do a Smash Kart game or something to get the other characters in there. It would definitely be more interesting with Samus, Link, Fox McCloud etc. etc. in the mix.

I think it's still a gamble. I can already access and work on all my documents anywhere as all my computers have office on it and I use Dropbox to sync my files everywhere. Plenty of free or cheap office apps for iPad and other tablets already as well.

So MS is banking on people paying for stuff that they can do free or cheaply already. Yeah, there's the notion of not buying Office for each device. But a lot of people are like me and just get it free or cheap from their employer. Or don't care about having it on their personal devices and just work on their office PC and work provided laptop.
Look at what Google is doing with google docs. I don't think it's a risk for MS to work on Office for the cloud, I think the real risk would be to give up on possible innovations and ceede the cloud to Google. A lot of companies already buy expensive licenses for their software so Microsoft wants to ensure that in the future they'll be ready if some of these companies want to change the way they work on documents. Multiple people can work on the same document at the same time with Google docs. They're chasing after google with sharepoint and office and trying to make docs editable by multiple users at once but they have work to do.

What I'm saying is that companies that give up on innovation and rest on their laurels fail eventually. I'm sure you can think of plenty of companies that had a ton of cash and were on top of the world but simply did not try to innovate with the rest of the industry (Kodak, Polaroid, Nokia, BlackBerry, Blockbuster Video, Dell, etc - and these are all recent, I could go back and come up with a massive list). Oh and of course there's thousands of businesses that Walmart put out of business and now Best Buy is on a downward spiral because of Amazon. Hell, even Walmart itself has had declining revenue because of online sales.

It just depends how stubborn MS is at wanting to push Kinect.

I disagree that Sony can't afford to match price. I think they'll at least match the X1 cheapest price throughout the whole gen. They lost their big PS2 lead from being too cocky and launch way too expensive with the PS3. They learned their lesson and will keep price competitive this entire generation. They have a huge stable of first party franchises with which to recoup money lost on console sales. The bigger the base they can build, the more money they can make on software and accessories. I see them doing whatever it takes to get their marketshare back up as much as possible.
If Microsoft really wanted to push Kinect, why aren't they announcing a big Kinect game coming out this March instead of Titanfall? What big Kinect games are coming out at all? I can't think of a single one. They had this idea that because they see so many people using Xbox 360's for Netflix that the Xbox One would be a great box to hook up to cable. I don't think they understood that Xbox 360 is the only Netflix streaming (to TV) device a lot of people own.

As for the Sony pricing strategy, I don't think they'll do it, at least not initially. If they stop selling out and start seeing consoles stack up in stores then you may be right and they may give it a shot (they might have lowered production cost by then anyway) but there's no way they could keep up no matter what Microsoft did with pricing - especially if they got extremely aggressive. There's no doubt that Microsoft can outspend them. If they wanted to lower the Xbox One's price with no Kinect to 299.99 and give you 3 packin games they could afford it. Easily. Will they do that this holiday? I really doubt it but the point is that Sony couldn't chase the losses indefinitely though you're probably right that they'd match a 350 pricepoint.

I was hoping for Gamecube games on the virtual console, but that looks like it will have to wait until Nintendo's next console. Hopefully, they will be able to start that VC with everything that released on wii and wii u. This drip feed of games is getting ridiculous. You dont see apple re-releasing everything on a new ios everytime a new i device comes out.

I also think that some form of gamepad compatibility should be included with the next console. If it is true that it will be a portable console/home console device, Nintendo should make it so the wii u owners can use their gamepads with it. They dont have to include the pad with every console, just the ability to use it. This keeps costs down and shows some goodwill to the wii u buyers.
Nintendo doesn't have very many employees and they clearly are not that committed to releasing VC games. They want to sell packaged goods for high prices.

But that isn't how Office is used by the majority of customers -- at least the people I work with. The "cloud" features are turned off by almost everyone I know, no one trusts that SkyDrive bullshit. If they're unwilling to trust their saves to the cloud, why would they trust the cloud with the software and computation itself? As if they need it for multiple devices...laptops aren't going anywhere. They're "work devices." If you need something on the go, you'll maybe turn to Google Docs, but it's not considered an Office replacement by any stretch.

I realize that MS sees advantages to moving to cloud-based everything, but it's not going to fly if it's just about doing it for MS's sake. They've got to tie it in to features that actually benefity users. You guys said it, Office is the money maker. They have to be careful when fucking with it: I work with people who are still pissed about the performance loss in going from Excel 2003 to Excel 2007. (Which MS fixed and then advertised in Excel 2010 by comparing 2010's performance to 2007, *not* 2003.)

Tying it to features kind of goes to my point: they need to make Windows an attractive platform for development, they need talent. Win 8 was a step back in that regard, they were actually *paying* developers to support it. That's crazy.

But that misses the point. It's a party title, now, so stuff like roster and vehicle variety are all that's left. In that regard, the Koopa Kids from SWM are a fun addition.

The reason Mario Kart doesn't satisfy isn't because there's too many characters, it's because as a gaming experience, the amount of skill that differentiates first from last place in any given race is effectively negligible. There's no skill acquisition, there's just "hold on for this cool trick!" or "here's more items, use them lots!" That's good for a party game, anyone can pick it up and feel competitive, but it's lousy for a genuine karting game, which is to say a genuine video game. Without a real need for skill acquistion, for learning the game mechanics and practicing at them, then what the hell am I doing here?

Again, it's a party title. It's getting more characters, more color, more items, more vehicles, more flashy events. They aren't the problem. It's the concept itself that's fucked.

But it still sells gangbusters, so the concept is fine. More characters like Smash would just create some more hype, new marketing options etc.

Nintendo is all about the kiddos and casuals. With few exceptions, they haven't made many games in house for hard core gamers who want to test their skill since the N64--or even the SNES really since the N64 started seeing a lot more of handholding in games (i.e. Navi giving hints on what to do in OoT, when in past Zelda games you were mostly on your own).

Personally I'm fine with it. I don't game to test my skills, and hate challenging games. I play to relax and Nintendo games work great for that. On other platforms I prefer the experience/story driven games like the Last of Us to gameplay focused games like fighters or skill-based action games like Ninja Gaiden etc.

bread's done
Back