Wii U - General Discussion Thread

What are you talking about?  PSN & XBL both let you pay for just the game you want.  It took MS about 7 years to do it, but it's there now.

What are you talking about? PSN & XBL both let you pay for just the game you want. It took MS about 7 years to do it, but it's there now.
PSN makes you fund your account with a minimum of $5 so if what you want to buy is more than $5 you have to either spend $5 or have extra money in your account.

With Nintendo you can pay the exact amount no matter what the price. For example, back when thy were doing the $.30 games on WiiU, you were able to pay for just that game without buying anything else.

Didn't know anything about Shovel Knight until you guys mentioned it.  Looked up a couple reviews. 

Will be downloading when I get home.

Just downloaded Shovel Knight and played the first level. It's right up there with DKC: TP. Pure Awesomeness.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I'll pick up Shovel Knight too. I think my son might like it (and I guess I can try it too - except that I'm sort of obsessed with FF X HD right now). It seems to be doing pretty well from all I'm seeing on the 'net. Hopefully it does big numbers and that encourages more indies to go Wii U-only (at least for console releases). If this was also on PS4/X1 I'd probably not get it right away and wait for it to be on sale or free with PS+. But since it is only on Wii U console-wise, I'm more likely to pay full price for it. I can't be the only one thinking that way. Nintendo should leverage that a little to push for more "premium" indies to be exclusive to their system. It would be interesting to see how the numbers worked out in an alternate universe where it was on more systems.

Hmmm I would go with the target sale, but if you don't mind waiting that isn't a bad option. There is no guarantee of a smash bundle, the mario kart bundle is nowhere to be found here.

The only reason I say this is because last year nintendo's servers crashed and no one was able to update their systems or download from the e-shop. If you are planning on doing those things with your system and are intending on opening it on Xmas day don't do it... Just don't ... Although if you used the system even a few days before Xmas you would probably be fine. If you are going the BF route if the deals aren't that great wait till the middle to end of the holiday season, that is when the deals get better.

I can't decide if I should get Shovel Knight for the 3DS or the Wii U. I'm spoiled by cross-buy on PS3/Vita and hate the idea of being locked into one platform version.

I like the controls on the Wii U much better, since the 3DS d-pad is awkward and I don't like the analog nub for NES games. Reviews say it plays just fine on the 3DS, though... anyone have any other impressions of either version?

Anyone have experience with Tank! Tank! Tank!? I played the arcade version while on vacation and thought it was a fun little diversion.

jza1218 said:
Anyone have experience with Tank! Tank! Tank!? I played the arcade version while on vacation and thought it was a fun little diversion.
Yeah, it is pretty fun and it is one of those games that does coop right on the Wii U, in that one person can have the full Gamepad screen and the other can have the full TV screen. Unlike, say, freaking Mario Kart.

Unfortunately the second player doesn't get a full choice of tanks though.

I can't decide if I should get Shovel Knight for the 3DS or the Wii U. I'm spoiled by cross-buy on PS3/Vita and hate the idea of being locked into one platform version.

I like the controls on the Wii U much better, since the 3DS d-pad is awkward and I don't like the analog nub for NES games. Reviews say it plays just fine on the 3DS, though... anyone have any other impressions of either version?
From what I've read its a matter of controls, mobility, and if you eventually want the coming 4 player VS that wont be on 3DS.

I have no issues playing on the 3DS, but I don't really find the d-pad all that awkward. For what it's worth, 3D effect is brilliant (though I always say 2D layering makes the most impressive, instantly noticeable 3D effect).

Thanks for the feedback. I went for portability since most of my gaming is on portables these days. I still had some credit from the spend $16/get $20 over the holidays so I went for it.

I have no issues playing on the 3DS, but I don't really find the d-pad all that awkward. For what it's worth, 3D effect is brilliant (though I always say 2D layering makes the most impressive, instantly noticeable 3D effect).
You'll have to enjoy it on my behalf. I have what is known as nonbinocular vision - basically, my eyes don't work together the way they should, and as a result I can't see 3D, whether it's movies or the 3DS. Also, my depth perception just sucks, I've never been good at judging distances like when hitting a baseball or parking my car.

I thought if you ordered the refurb console from Nintendo you don't get the 160 coin promotion? I just linked my account and saw the survey giving the 160 coins.

When I try to log into the digital deluxe promotion page though it tells me "Please ensure you are in a country that is eligible for this promotion. Only users that created a Nintendo Network ID on a Wii U Deluxe Set are eligible for this promotion." I put California, USA which even shows in Mario Kart 8. Weird.

I logged in to my Deluxe promo page for the first time in ages (probably a year) and lo and behold I had a $5 code waiting for me. I really didn't think I had bought enough for one yet. I haven't registered my 2 copies of Mario Kart + their free games yet.

I did get 149 points for Shovel Knight (which I bought yesterday), though I'm not sure if that was counted in my total or not (it was under "recent" so I'm not sure if that means still pending or not).

Edit: can see points history and yes, Shovel Knight put me over the limit. But I nickeled and dimed my way to my first code:

5 of the 30 cents games got me 15 points, Earthbound got me 111, then I had a bunch of little stuff ranging from 20-84 points (Wii U VC upgrades and games on sale), then finally Shovel Knight gave me the final 149. Not bad considering everything but Earthbound and Shovel Knight were $1.50 VC upgrades and stuff that was on sale. And I believe Punch-Out (which netted me 49 points) was from a Club Nintendo code. I'll have to make sure I get every Wii U-compatible Club Nintendo thing from now on. I didn't realize they counted.

I also thought I had bought Dillon's Rolling Western but I don't see it on my 3DS (which is what I used to add my $5 code - so nice that they are linked now). I know it was on sale or available from Club Nintendo (?) and I intended to get it but I guess I forgot. Damn...

Thanks for the feedback. I went for portability since most of my gaming is on portables these days. I still had some credit from the spend $16/get $20 over the holidays so I went for it.

You'll have to enjoy it on my behalf. I have what is known as nonbinocular vision - basically, my eyes don't work together the way they should, and as a result I can't see 3D, whether it's movies or the 3DS. Also, my depth perception just sucks, I've never been good at judging distances like when hitting a baseball or parking my car.
Man that sucks, though I wonder if I have something similar (or to a degree?) Most "3D" effects are VERY underwhelming for me and for example in 3D movies I often have to look over the glasses, then back at the screen to see the subtle difference. The one exception is 2D sprites layered (like Shovel Knight)

I logged in to my Deluxe promo page for the first time in ages (probably a year) and lo and behold I had a $5 code waiting for me. I really didn't think I had bought enough for one yet. I haven't registered my 2 copies of Mario Kart + their free games yet.
Totally forgot about the Digital Deluxe thing. I don't think I've even been on that page since launch. lol

Looks like Nintendo gave full credit for the free game that came with Mario Kart. I'm showing 599 points for Pikmin 3 despite it being free. Can't argue with that. Like you I managed to nickel and dime myself just enough to hit another $5 code. So I had $10 sitting there. Thanks for the heads up.

Corvin said:
Looks like Nintendo gave full credit for the free game that came with Mario Kart. I'm showing 599 points for Pikmin 3 despite it being free. Can't argue with that. Like you I managed to nickel and dime myself just enough to hit another $5 code. So I had $10 sitting there. Thanks for the heads up.
Yeah, I had heard about that in other threads. So the free game with Mario Kart essentially comes with a $5 digital credit as well. I'm getting two freebies (Pikmin 3 and probably Zelda) since I bought a second copy of Mario Kart and sold it as used without the code for $50-ish (it was one I got from Best Buy for a discount + that $10 "gas card" promo). So that means $10 more in digital credit which was an unexpected bonus.

Any idea why Best Buy is carrying the white Pro Controller again? I found some and was so excited, only to have the guy check the price and see they're still $50 and not on clearance now... :whistle2:(

Any idea why Best Buy is carrying the white Pro Controller again? I found some and was so excited, only to have the guy check the price and see they're still $50 and not on clearance now... :whistle2:(
Bestbuy business shows it for $35, I showed them that and they price matched the white controller for me.

Question....do the codes you redeem from MK8 for Pikmin and Zelda have to be DOWNLOADED by a certain date? I am waiting for a nice deal for a Wii U (Below $300) and was thinking about this...

Buying 2 copies of MK8 at Target by price matching Amazon ($48.62 x 2 = $97.24)

Redeeming the codes and getting Pikmin ($49.20 on Amazon) and Zelda WW ($41.28 on Amazon) and then trading in the MK8 games to Best Buy for $39.00 each (A total of $78)

Essentially getting Pikmin and Zelda for $19.24.....

Anything flawed in this strategy before I pull the trigger?

Thanks in advance!

Yes, your strategy will work as the download codes are good until September 30th.  There's a big IF though.  This will work IF you have a Wii U, and a Club Nintendo account with at least 1 sub-account tied to the system itself in order to generate the codes in the first place.  Buying Mario Kart 8 now will do you no good without the system already tied to Club Nintendo.

Watch the deals section here or on slickdeals.  Wii U deluxe systems with NSMB U/NSL U have been on ebay sales for $250 new from time to time.

Man that sucks, though I wonder if I have something similar (or to a degree?) Most "3D" effects are VERY underwhelming for me and for example in 3D movies I often have to look over the glasses, then back at the screen to see the subtle difference. The one exception is 2D sprites layered (like Shovel Knight)
In any case, the problem is when your eyes don't work together the way they're supposed to. From what I've read it tends to be a matter of degrees versus a strictly black and white thing. For example, someone with only one eye will never see any 3D that depends on manipulating the way your eyes process layered imagery (obviously). Both my eyes work, but I only look directly out of my right eye. I have 20/20 vision in my right eye so it's not usually a problem, but my left eye getting used less makes the muscles weaker over time.

This resurgence in 3D at the movies seems to brought some of o nonbinocular folks out of the woodwork and onto message boards. One guy reported on an A/V site that some of the newer projectors for 3D (apparently there are 2-3 different kinds in use which achieve the current 3D effects) work better than others, and that distance away from the screen makes a huge difference - so you may see it at a movie on a giant-ass projector, but the 3DS is too close and too small to pick up any sense of depth.

I just pray that this kind of technology isn't the future of smartphones and other electronics, or else I'm going to miss out.

Yea, 3D is just a fad right now. 3D Smartphones have already failed, the 3D on the 3DS has been so marginalized that most companies only put the bare minimum work into it and now it's a feature that's not even featured unless it's a remade NES game, and 3D TV stations are largely gone now. Really, only 3D Movies are making money and even that is nowhere near the sales numbers for the 2D versions.

It will go away again, then come back in another 20-30 years or so, just like 3D in the 50's and 80's.

Yeah I hope 3D goes away too since I can't see it and it just makes things annoying. Plus it drives up the cost of going to the movies as if that isn't expensive enough as it is these days.

It also makes it annoying since if a group of people want to go to a movie, and one person can't see 3d or it effects them in a negative way then that person is left out.

I get a laugh every time I see the 2DS commercial with the voice over... "play all your favorite 3DS games in 2D!"  What a selling poing.  :lol:

Yes, your strategy will work as the download codes are good until September 30th. There's a big IF though. This will work IF you have a Wii U, and a Club Nintendo account with at least 1 sub-account tied to the system itself in order to generate the codes in the first place. Buying Mario Kart 8 now will do you no good without the system already tied to Club Nintendo.

Watch the deals section here or on slickdeals. Wii U deluxe systems with NSMB U/NSL U have been on ebay sales for $250 new from time to time.
I have a 3ds and have a Club Nintendo account. I will keep an eye on those websites. I am selling my old ipad 2 to a friend and that should more or less cover the entire purchase....I was hoping to find a deal through best buy, as I have 60 dollars of credit to their name.

I get a laugh every time I see the 2DS commercial with the voice over... "play all your favorite 3DS games in 2D!" What a selling poing. :lol:
I used to think that as well, but my 7 year old really can't tolerate the 3D for the 3DS and has to play the games with the slider off at all times. The 2DS is a great item for kids like her.

Hmmm I would go with the target sale, but if you don't mind waiting that isn't a bad option. There is no guarantee of a smash bundle, the mario kart bundle is nowhere to be found here. The only reason I say this is because last year nintendo's servers crashed and no one was able to update their systems or download from the e-shop. If you are planning on doing those things with your system and are intending on opening it on Xmas day don't do it... Just don't ... Although if you used the system even a few days before Xmas you would probably be fine. If you are going the BF route if the deals aren't that great wait till the middle to end of the holiday season, that is when the deals get better.
Well, I caved and picked up the Super Mario Bros. U Bundle for $275+tax. I got MK8, Zelda HD and Mario 3D Land for $100+tax as well. Going to start playing this weekend.

Shovel Knight was definitely a worthwhile purchase, though it was a bit more than I like to spend on downloadable games. I haven't played it yet myself but my 11 year-old son just beat it. He's been playing it a ton the last several days. Some of those boss fights looked really difficult - not sure I want to put myself through that ;).

Well, I caved and picked up the Super Mario Bros. U Bundle for $275+tax. I got MK8, Zelda HD and Mario 3D Land for $100+tax as well. Going to start playing this weekend.
It's so worth it at this point. With MK8 you get to DL Pikmin 3 or WiiU Party for free if you register on Club Nintendo - definitely get Pikmin 3. It is amazing.

I used to think that as well, but my 7 year old really can't tolerate the 3D for the 3DS and has to play the games with the slider off at all times. The 2DS is a great item for kids like her.
I do the same thing.

I tried playing in 3d and it gave me a headache.

I wonder if it's because of the slight astigmatism I have?

I do the same thing.

I tried playing in 3d and it gave me a headache.

I wonder if it's because of the slight astigmatism I have?
Could be, but I have an astigmatism and I don't get headaches from using the 3d, even without my glasses and with the slider all the way up. I just don't enjoy the 3D, so I leave it off.

The 3D causes headaches no matter what. That's why a lot of early 3DS games kept telling you take a break every 15-20 minutes. Then Nintendo realized nobody uses the 3D and stopped including it.

The 3D causes headaches no matter what. That's why a lot of early 3DS games kept telling you take a break every 15-20 minutes. Then Nintendo realized nobody uses the 3D and stopped including it.
It's kind of cool for a novelty for a minute or two. Seeing things swirl around in space. Then you turn it off to play the game.

One of the dumber gimmicks, but at the time we were being told everything would be 3D in just a few years because something-something James Cameron / Avatar.

You guys are crazy!  I love the 3D effect on the 3DS.  A Link Between Worlds and Mario 3D Land feel completely different with the 3D turned off.  It's not perfect but it's a step in some new direction (the right one?  I don't know).  I like that game makers are thinking about working outside the limitations of a flat 2D screen for games though.

The last couple of weeks i have been debating of picking up a wii u. I already have physical games i picked up during sales but still no system. (Bet im not the only one that do this).

Im thinking to just wait if out some more Coz my gut is telling me that nintento may eventually announced a revamp wii u model with better specs to replace the current model to actually compete with next gen consoles.

The last couple of weeks i have been debating of picking up a wii u. I already have physical games i picked up during sales but still no system. (Bet im not the only one that do this).

Im thinking to just wait if out some more Coz my gut is telling me that nintento may eventually announced a revamp wii u model with better specs to replace the current model to actually compete with next gen consoles.
No way they'll do that, it would fragment their customer base and piss off the millions who bought the "old" model. Wii U hardware is set in stone for the life of the console, unfortunately; you'll only see better hardware on their next console (if they even release one). The only exception to this is a newer model with more storage; I could see them releasing a 64gb or 128gb model down the road, but even that is questionable.

Having said that, if you've waited this long, you might as well wait a little longer for a Black Friday or holiday deal, there are bound to be heavily discounted bundles at that time.

Yeah, there is no point in them releasing a souped up Wii U model at this point. Think about it: even if they make it match X1/PS4 specs and somehow don't make it cost as much (if not more than, given the Gamepad) those systems, most people are still going to buy any potential multiplatform games on those systems because they are invested in trophies/achievements and/or the online systems and friends lists they have on those.

Sure, they might get a few converts with that system, but they would completely alienate the existing Wii U base. It might not be huge, but it consists mainly of their most loyal customers. Not smart.

The only way this would be possible is if they offer a free or very cheap upgrade path for existing Wii U owners, and that would be a huge financial hit for them.

Nah the only hardware revisions I could see is a new model with more internal storage, but knowing Nintendo this is unlikely. Meanwhile they love revising handhelds.

I'm not sure why you think that is unlikely. I fully expect a 64 or 128 GB version sooner or later as memory and the other Wii U components get cheaper. It is not only a way to get people who scoff at the 32 GB (or less) to potentially buy in, but it is a "nice" way to get people with older Wii U systems to upgrade. I'd even consider it if there was a cheap upgrade path (not provided by Nintendo but say via a Gamestop trade-in promo). For example, I bet a lot of hardcore Nintendo fans would upgrade to a Smash Bros. edition system with special colors and more memory. I don't necessarily expect the higher-capacity systems until later years, though. But it seems inevitable.

I only have one of the "freebie" games (Pikmin 3) that come with Mario Kart 8 and will probably get one more (Wind Waker). I actually held off even bothering with the other 2 since space is limited and I didn't want to deal with setting up a USB drive. Besides, I already have NSMB and Wii U Party on disc (the latter still sealed). If space was not an issue, though, I might have tried to get a few more Mario Kart 8 codes just to have those two games on the system.

Handhelds are cheaper, and people with multiple children will buy multiple handhelds, while a household will only ever buy one console. So when one kid gets a 3DS the next kid can get an XL etc.. Also Nintendo makes buck on all these limited edition handhelds.. There are people that buy every limited edition so they are making a profit on that. Plus the limiteds are enticing to new buyers. The Wii U had a bad reception so I don't think it would be wise to release a new one at this point or they may not be able to ever sell another console due to previous bad reception. Heck Nintendo usually downgrades their console hardware so that is one of my reasons for purchasing early this time so that i am not subject to unsuspecting downgrades.

I'm not sure why you think that is unlikely. I fully expect a 64 or 128 GB version sooner or later as memory and the other Wii U components get cheaper. It is not only a way to get people who scoff at the 32 GB (or less) to potentially buy in, but it is a "nice" way to get people with older Wii U systems to upgrade. I'd even consider it if there was a cheap upgrade path (not provided by Nintendo but say via a Gamestop trade-in promo). For example, I bet a lot of hardcore Nintendo fans would upgrade to a Smash Bros. edition system with special colors and more memory. I don't necessarily expect the higher-capacity systems until later years, though. But it seems inevitable.

I only have one of the "freebie" games (Pikmin 3) that come with Mario Kart 8 and will probably get one more (Wind Waker). I actually held off even bothering with the other 2 since space is limited and I didn't want to deal with setting up a USB drive. Besides, I already have NSMB and Wii U Party on disc (the latter still sealed). If space was not an issue, though, I might have tried to get a few more Mario Kart 8 codes just to have those two games on the system.
I say it's unlikely based on console history. Nintendo redesigned the NES, SNES, and Wii at end of life mainly to have a cheaper version to squeeze out some more sales. N64 and Gamecube had no revisions.

Compare that to every handheld having 2-3 revisions and historically it's less likely, at least in the near future. I agree it would be a logical move and an easy upgrade for lots of people, but logical moves haven't been Nintendo's strong point with the Wii U.

I thought there was a GC version that removed the port on the bottom... It wasn't used for anything, but it was removed at some point.

And as far as logical moves, Nintendo really messed up on the Wii transition. The black version should have been the vertical/no GC port version to cut down on consumer confusion.

bread's done
Back