Wii U - General Discussion Thread

I thought there was a GC version that removed the port on the bottom... It wasn't used for anything, but it was removed at some point.

And as far as logical moves, Nintendo really messed up on the Wii transition. The black version should have been the vertical/no GC port version to cut down on consumer confusion.
The Ganecube revision removed the digital output port on the back of the console. This was the port that was for use of the component cables on the GameCube.

Heh - yeah, I guess that is true. They actually continually nerfed the Wii (and to a lesser extent the GC) over its lifetime, instead of making "better" versions. But, since internal memory is a big thing nowadays (much more so than for the Wii), I could see a larger capacity Wii U coming out later, even if they also do something like remove Wii compatibility.

I think they will remove wii compatibility eventually but it will be a Wii mini sort of thing, very late in the cycle, they did make the Wii mini which nerfed pretty much everything useful about the Wii even the ability to plug in component cables.

Hey guys, I'm ready to move on from my Wii U so I can get a 3DS instead.  Does anyone know the appropriate way to format this system?  I heard if you do it wrong my NNID will be deleted or something like that and I want to preserve it for my 3DS when I get it.  Do I simply unlink and format?  I have no digital games so I am not worried about losing them.

Hey guys, I'm ready to move on from my Wii U so I can get a 3DS instead. Does anyone know the appropriate way to format this system? I heard if you do it wrong my NNID will be deleted or something like that and I want to preserve it for my 3DS when I get it. Do I simply unlink and format? I have no digital games so I am not worried about losing them.
But, but, what about all the cool Wii u games coming out over the next year? D:

Does anybody know off hand if the $5 credits from the Deluxe Digital Promo expire if you dont redeem/use them? And if they do when?

Hey guys, I'm ready to move on from my Wii U so I can get a 3DS instead. Does anyone know the appropriate way to format this system? I heard if you do it wrong my NNID will be deleted or something like that and I want to preserve it for my 3DS when I get it. Do I simply unlink and format? I have no digital games so I am not worried about losing them.
Just unlink the NNID and then format the system. So it in that I order and your good to go. I ditched my Wii U back and March and I'm perfectly fine just having the 3DS for the rare itch I get to play a Nintendo game.

You guys are crazy! I love the 3D effect on the 3DS. A Link Between Worlds and Mario 3D Land feel completely different with the 3D turned off. It's not perfect but it's a step in some new direction (the right one? I don't know). I like that game makers are thinking about working outside the limitations of a flat 2D screen for games though.
My only issue with the 3d is that it seems like if I move my hand a tiny bit, everything goes wonky. I just don't sit still enough while playing games to use the 3d more than ~20% of the time.

My only issue with the 3d is that it seems like if I move my hand a tiny bit, everything goes wonky. I just don't sit still enough while playing games to use the 3d more than ~20% of the time.
Same for me. It's a neat effect, but I'm just too fidgety to stay in the sweet spot on my 3DSXL. Even when I can, 3D stuff strains my eyes and I can't play as long.

New Wii U update out!

New Features:

Wii U to Wii U System Transfer
Users can now transfer (move) all software and data from one Wii U to another
A “System Transfer” option has been added within System Settings
Click here for additional information on this feature

Changes to Nintendo eShop:

Users can now navigate the Nintendo eShop using a Wii Remote, Wii U Pro Controller, or Classic Controller

Improvements to system stability and usability:

Further improvements to overall system stability and other minor adjustments have been made to enhance the user experience

Anyone have any recommendations for an external hard drive (that includes an A/C adapter) to use with the Wii U? A Fry's employee pointed out a Seagate hard drive that included its own power supply for me last weekend, but I've read a ton of mixed reviews about that brand. I wasn't sure if that was the right route to go or if I should look for another brand like Toshiba, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone have any recommendations for an external hard drive (that includes an A/C adapter) to use with the Wii U? A Fry's employee pointed out a Seagate hard drive that included its own power supply for me last weekend, but I've read a ton of mixed reviews about that brand. I wasn't sure if that was the right route to go or if I should look for another brand like Toshiba, etc.
I've owned several external drives, both portable and A/C powered, and they've all been Seagate. I've never had a problem with any of them. The first one I bought over 8 years ago still works fine.

I posted this in the MK8 game promo thread, but I figured it was worth a repost here:

My Wii U has about 4GB free after installing all the MK8 reward games plus Game & Watch from the Club Nintendo rewards plus a few others like Wii Fit, Wii Sports Club, Toki Tori 2 (which is about 1GB), a few other Wii U shop games, not to mention several VC titles.

I did have to delete all the demos but I wasn't using those anyway. I also deleted the Rayman Challenge app but I could put that back on if I want. I'm guessing I don't have quite enough room for Smash Bros. which is a game I'd definitely consider getting digitally since we will go back to it so often. But with the lack of space, I'm leaning against that. Nintendo really should have pushed for at least 64GB in there. I mean, I guess 32GB was cool until they started offering all these digital promo games. But now that is getting overwhelmed!

I know people could look up the numbers and add it all up but you never know how much the system plus other utilities take up and how it all fits together until you actually do it.

I also know I could get a powered USB drive, but that is just sort of impractical where I have the Wii U placed so I will hold off on that for as long as possible. If the only reason I need it is for Smash Bros, then I have to factor that into the cost of the game. I could always delete something like Wii U Party, but I was hoping having it actually on the drive would lead to someone playing it ;).

TLDR version: A Deluxe Wii U has enough capacity for all the MK8 promo games plus Game & Watch with several GG left over...

I just stuck a 64 GB thumb drive into my Wii U, which has worked great so far. The only issue is that the eShop sometimes refuses to just let games download to the secondary storage even if there isn't enough space on the main hard drive.

I have a 16gb flash drive and things download to it without issue and run without problems. A 16GB can fit Wii fit U, Zelda windwaker and game & wario without issue.

I don't know too many Wii u owners who are going to spring for a $50-100 drive that they only might fill 25%-50% of throughout the life of the system especially after buying the system.

Nintendo should have given more GB's, they would see more e-shop sales if they did, as of right now people won't buy from the e-shop because their systems are full.

I just stuck a 64 GB thumb drive into my Wii U, which has worked great so far. The only issue is that the eShop sometimes refuses to just let games download to the secondary storage even if there isn't enough space on the main hard drive.
Which one did you get? I am looking for a little more space and 64gb should be enough.

I have some 8GB thumb drives (Xbox 360 branded ;)). I guess I could stick one of those on there and put something that won't get used a lot like Wii U Party on it. That should free me up enough space for Smash Bros.

kaiyouske said:
I'm not sure if people knew this, but USB HDD docks work perfectly on WiiUs. I had a dock that I wasn't using and decided to give it a try since I had a bunch of old SATA HDDs just laying around so I said, "Why the hell not?".

Something like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153066

So far, it's working great!
Link isn't working (says they are having technical problems). Is that just a hard drive enclosure? I actually have a few of those since I had to pull some HDD's from dead laptops to recover their contents. I guess I never thought of just using those as is on the Wii U. I should have at least one still laying around here somewhere...

But mine might be unpowered ones - and I thought those didn't work. I actually have 2 regular portable USB HDDs sitting here too - but they are also unpowered.

Edit: I found my HDD enclosure and no less than THREE bare HDD's. The enclosure has a power adapter socket, but I can't find the power cord...

But mine might be unpowered ones - and I thought those didn't work. I actually have 2 regular portable USB HDDs sitting here too - but they are also unpowered.
Unpowered external HDDs work fine. I'm using an unpowered 500GB Toshiba with my Wii U.

Well, I'm using my HDD enclosure on my old PS3 Slim 120GB's HD (which I had upgraded to 750GB a while back). I figure 120GB is perfect for the Wii U and I have no other use for a drive like that so I might as well use it. I'm trying it without a power cable.

So now I'm trying to format it, but it has spent 15+ minutes "Checking USB storage device...". I'll see if it ever stops, but it seems like it is taking longer than it should. The light on the drive enclosure is flashing on and off, so it is doing something at least.

The other thing that sucks is that to do this I had to remove the charging cable for my Wii U Pro controller (since my other USB slot is used for the Ethernet adapter which is critical since I could never get the WiFi working correctly). I guess I'll have to charge my 2 Wii U Pro controllers using my computer or something.

Edit: Still doing the same thing. Searching the web this either means the drive is incompatible or it needs to be powered.

Edit #2: I tried two different HDDs in the enclosure and a separate portable USB hard drive and none of them work. If I can find the power adapter for this enclosure I'm sure it will be OK, but I have no idea where it is...

KingBroly said:
You can get a Y-cable if you need to. It's what I use and it works fine.
Yeah, but that would take up BOTH slots, and it was a pain to give up one of them. I need one, at least, for the Ethernet adapter. I was using the other to charge my Pro controllers but I could live without that.

I'm still looking for that power cable. But I think now I'll just wait a bit. I just had some extra time yesterday to screw around with this, but I don't really need to address the storage issue until Smash Bros. comes out.

So if I do pick up a hard drive can you just simply move content from the internal memory to it or do you have to completely re-download it?

Yeah, but that would take up BOTH slots, and it was a pain to give up one of them. I need one, at least, for the Ethernet adapter. I was using the other to charge my Pro controllers but I could live without that.

I'm still looking for that power cable. But I think now I'll just wait a bit. I just had some extra time yesterday to screw around with this, but I don't really need to address the storage issue until Smash Bros. comes out.
You're not using either of the Front Ports?

Though I imagine you'll use those for the GC Controller Adapter when Smash comes out.

The other thing that sucks is that to do this I had to remove the charging cable for my Wii U Pro controller (since my other USB slot is used for the Ethernet adapter which is critical since I could never get the WiFi working correctly). I guess I'll have to charge my 2 Wii U Pro controllers using my computer or something.
Hey io you might want to check this out. I was having the same problems with my WiFi, tried for over two weeks and no luck. I finally ran across this and it worked perfectly.

http://zamkato.com/2012/11/23/how-to-fix-wii-u-wi-fi-router-errors-103-1001-101-1002-and-connect-to-the-internet/

Got_Wii said:
Hey io you might want to check this out. I was having the same problems with my WiFi, tried for over two weeks and no luck. I finally ran across this and it worked perfectly.

http://zamkato.com/2012/11/23/how-to-fix-wii-u-wi-fi-router-errors-103-1001-101-1002-and-connect-to-the-internet/
I'll look into it, but now that I have the adapter I much prefer wired connections anyway. I can say that all the downloads I've done recently have been super-fast, so I don't really feel like messing with what I currently have working.

KingBroly said:
You're not using either of the Front Ports?

Though I imagine you'll use those for the GC Controller Adapter when Smash comes out.
Hah - you know what, I didn't even know there were front ports. (In my defense, my Wii U is 6 feet off the ground in a dark corner of a shelf.)

I suppose I could plug the controller charger in front, though it would make for an ugly front. I kind of like the clean, sleek look it has now with that nearly seamless port cover it has - so seamless I didn't notice it ;). But then again, the controllers don't have to be charged all that often, so that should work. Btu I don't really want to put the Ethernet adapter up there so that still rules out the Y-plug (which I wouldn't want on the front either). But now at least if I can find that adapter for the HDD enclosure maybe I'm back in business.

Do any of you have a good recommendation for a skin or shell for the gamepad? 

I have the Zelda system and want to make sure that the text/designs don't get damaged or scratched. 

I just picked up a used Deluxe Wii U.  Do I still qualify for the Deluxe Digital Promo? Just want to know before I start buying digital games.

[quote name="Vinny" post="11961856" timestamp="1406529098"]Do any of you have a good recommendation for a skin or shell for the gamepad?
I have the Zelda system and want to make sure that the text/designs don't get damaged or scratched. [/quote]

If you are using the charger stand most skins are not compatible with it, so that may be a deal breaker.

I would go with some kind of protective screen protector like film but the problem wit that is the design may come off when you try to remove the film years later.

And I'm really hoping they extend the DDP. It really does seem to have an effect on people purchasing stuff digitally. They need all the incentive they can provide at this point (both in terms of general sales and in terms of their eShop). I could see that original expiration just being there just in case when the original planning was being done - but at this point it would be stupid to end it.

Do any of you have a good recommendation for a skin or shell for the gamepad?

I have the Zelda system and want to make sure that the text/designs don't get damaged or scratched.
I have this one.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/rocketfish-wii-u-invisishell-transparent/6891331.p;jsessionid=9463906D646B5579177723298F5C9E16.bbolsp-app01-189?id=1218810565088&skuId=6891331&st=wii%20u%20shell&cp=1&lp=1

Allows you to use the charge cradle with the shell on.

I am running out of space on my Wii U and want to get an external drive for it. Right now I have an old Seagate 1TB USB 2.0 external drive(Wall powered) and was wondering if that is OK to use or should I get something else? I would have preferred one of those USB thumb drives, so much easier but have been reading they are not good so not sure what to get

I forget the Zelda graphics are at the bottom of the gamepad, correct? I just have the White basic.
Yeah, it's all around the GamePad. I've been trying to find a, clear, protective skin but so far, I've only found hard shells and soft silicon shells, neither of which I'd trust since dust/grime can still get under the shells and potentially scratch the GamePad.

Of course, it would help if I wasn't so anal...:p

I love my Zelda wii u just beat windwaker last night.  Its funny because I almost bought it the day it came out but only ended up buying it 3 weeks before mariokart came out.  Not many games out but I have pikmin 3 and wonderful 101 to start.  Looking forward to finally playing a pikmin game.

bread's done
Back