Wii U - General Discussion Thread

Just return them to the store after you use them assuming they are able to be scanned through the package. Skylanders can be scanned through the package.

They are going to be compatible with future games which is why most people would hold on to them. 

The whole point of amiibos is to help garner interest into the Wii U as a brand. The toys aspect will make money no problem but the main goal is to establish a wider (younger) audience to the IPs and give a greater incentive to buy into Wii U. Amiibos give greater value to the Gamepad. I personally love the thing for its streaming capabilities and web browsing features but this new functionality broadens the appeal to kids and beyond. Any advertising for amiibos will have a complementary effect for the Wii U brand. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, most people are getting them for Smash Bros., with the other games s a bonus.
I'm not a Smash fan. So far they've announced 18 figures for $13 each, that's kind of a lot of money - over $200. I'd assume that at some point they'd make them useful in other games (besides smash). Clearly most people aren't going to spend $200 for "hats" in Mario Kart. Honestly, I'd be happy if they just sold all the cosmetic DLC for $1 each without the need to buy the figures. I wonder how well they'll actually be supported. I say this because once you purchase them, they have your money and won't have a lot of incentive to continue to release content for the figure. Who's to say they don't just put out another varient of a character and the older one doesn't do anything now? This is especially true for the "limited edition" figures. Do you really think they'll continue to make DLC for them once they're no longer available?

Just return them to the store after you use them assuming they are able to be scanned through the package. Skylanders can be scanned through the package.
I'm sure some folks would try things like that but it's a bit unethical for me.

I need help again. I got a job recently and want to buy myself a WiiU for Xmas. What's the best option? I know there are a ton of pack in game choices. 

I'm most interested in playing Mario Kart 8 and Hyrule Warriors. I'd probably DL a lot of games too.

[quote name="2DMention" post="12223177" timestamp="1415512529"]I need help again. I got a job recently and want to buy myself a WiiU for Xmas. What's the best option? I know there are a ton of pack in game choices.

I'm most interested in playing Mario Kart 8 and Hyrule Warriors. I'd probably DL a lot of games too.[/quote]

Il wait for blackfriday deals at this point. No need to purchase a wii u right now with blackfriday just a few weeks to go.

I need help again. I got a job recently and want to buy myself a WiiU for Xmas. What's the best option? I know there are a ton of pack in game choices.

I'm most interested in playing Mario Kart 8 and Hyrule Warriors. I'd probably DL a lot of games too.
Walmart carries the 32GB bundle with Mario Kart 8 and Nintendo Land for $299. I imagine that Black Friday will either include a $30-50 price drop or gift card promotion at a lot of retailers. If you're going to download a lot of retail games, then you'll want an external hard drive too. I have a 1TB portable drive with y-cable that cost me about $40 and there's more than enough room for everything.

I've seen picture of a Super Smash Bros bundle on twitter too, but I don't know if those turned out to be accurate or not.

I'm not a Smash fan. So far they've announced 18 figures for $13 each, that's kind of a lot of money - over $200. I'd assume that at some point they'd make them useful in other games (besides smash). Clearly most people aren't going to spend $200 for "hats" in Mario Kart. Honestly, I'd be happy if they just sold all the cosmetic DLC for $1 each without the need to buy the figures. I wonder how well they'll actually be supported. I say this because once you purchase them, they have your money and won't have a lot of incentive to continue to release content for the figure. Who's to say they don't just put out another varient of a character and the older one doesn't do anything now? This is especially true for the "limited edition" figures. Do you really think they'll continue to make DLC for them once they're no longer available?
See, you're in the minority on that.

Plus, a lot of people will collect them just for collecting's sake. The Mario characters are the only ones who have had reasonably priced figures released thus far, meaning a lot of people are going to get figures like Link, Samus, and Marth.

Oh boy. Mario Kart 8 DLC comes out in 3 days. Then a week after that Smash arrives. And the final piece of the Triforce called Captain Freaking Toad: Treasure Track comes in December 5. I think people will start to wonder if I'm alive. 

Walmart carries the 32GB bundle with Mario Kart 8 and Nintendo Land for $299. I imagine that Black Friday will either include a $30-50 price drop or gift card promotion at a lot of retailers. If you're going to download a lot of retail games, then you'll want an external hard drive too. I have a 1TB portable drive with y-cable that cost me about $40 and there's more than enough room for everything.

I've seen picture of a Super Smash Bros bundle on twitter too, but I don't know if those turned out to be accurate or not.
That sounds perfect.

Best Buy is selling the Wii U on BF with Donkey Kong/Smash/Nintendo land and Mario 3D world for 359.99. Comes out to you getting DK for free which is good I guess. Would rather get Kart and Smash for the same price though at Walmart.

Best Buy is selling the Wii U on BF with Donkey Kong/Smash/Nintendo land and Mario 3D world for 359.99. Comes out to you getting DK for free which is good I guess. Would rather get Kart and Smash for the same price though at Walmart.
Now THAT'S perfect.

I justify the price as $300 for the console and the four games at $15 each. I love it.

Of course I'd love it more if I had the funds to purchase it. Hope some good deals on 3DS surface in the meantime.

Now THAT'S perfect.

I justify the price as $300 for the console and the four games at $15 each. I love it.

Of course I'd love it more if I had the funds to purchase it. Hope some good deals on 3DS surface in the meantime.
I'm not real interested in DK. I will probably have to work so I won't be able to take advantage of it.

Ahhhhh I still haven't beat Bayonetta 1 & 2 yet on my WiiU!!!  Too many games too little time.....  It's really nice to be able to just wind down at the end of the night and play some Bayo on my bed and just fall asleep with her..... wait what?

I don't think I'll be getting Amiibos anymore.

B17x6__IYAEkytp.jpg

[quote name="kaiyouske" post="12230419" timestamp="1415723374"]I don't think I'll be getting Amiibos anymore.

B17x6__IYAEkytp.jpg
[/quote]

That is just sad. Get the hype working with awesome looking prototypes and then sell them cheap looking versions. Typical bait and switch. Tsk! And to think they are selling the figures at a premium.

That is just sad. Get the hype working with awesome looking prototypes and then sell them cheap looking versions. Typical bait and switch. Tsk! And to think they are selling the figures at a premium.
That's what it sort of pisses me off. If they don't give you good content, at least let the figures be of higher quality. But no, neither.

I cracked up when I saw this picture. I have a ton of Skylander figures, and I'm resisting Infinity, so this made it easy to resist Amiibos.
I remember when the initial pictures of the actual production models hit, it was on either here or Reddit but someone was making all these excuses about how the lighting wasn't right to make the figures look good. No amount of lighting is going to make that figure on the right look good. The damn thing looks like it was made out of playdough.

I was hyped for amiibos like crazy but the closer we are to release the less and less I'm excited for them. I wanted to collect all of these but I'm almost not going to bother anymore. I would rather save the money for games. Lord knows there will be plenty of those in 2015.

I still want my favorite characters, but out of the ones announced, I really only want Pit and Mega Man. I'd rather get the World of Nintendo figures for the main characters like Mario, Link, and Samus (although I am not sure Samus has a WoN figure)...

So, how exactly does the whole DDP promo work?  Do those funds ever expire?

I coulda sworn I had done this a while ago when the MK8 free game promo was active and set up my console and everything but I just went on to the Eshop to buy the new MK8 DLC and it says I have no funds.  What did I miss?

Go to ddp.nintendo.com and enter your NNID. If you have enough for a credit, it gives you a code to enter in the Redeem Downloads Code page on the eShop.

Go to ddp.nintendo.com and enter your NNID. If you have enough for a credit, it gives you a code to enter in the Redeem Downloads Code page on the eShop.
thanks! had $10 there from the MK8 free game promo so used that and an Eshop card to buy the DLC bundle! perfect!

Also, not sure if anybody saw this thread https://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/338429-nintendo-3ds-xl-blueblack-5999-nintendo-wii-u-5999-searscom-officially-dead-price-now-listed-at-19999/page-5#entry12244762 but 3DS XL and Wii U were $60 at Sears by mistake and I got a PM of each at Best Buy. Going to sell the Wii U and keep the 3DS for myself!

I have a question about the wii u. My son is asking for one for Christmas. Mario Kart 8 is tops on his list. This is s something I would be playing with him.

So I was able to find the mk8 limited bundle locally. It comes with the mario wii mote and a steering wheel. Came to about 350 with tax. Walmart has a mk8 bundle but no extra controller for 300. Would have to buy something.

My question is about the wii mote. Is it an easy controller to use? Do I need the wii u pro controller? He Is 7 and will probably play mario games, and other kid style games. Do you guys actually use the wii mote or steering wheel? I may try piecing together something with the sm3w from eBay if the extra stuff in the bundke are junk. Thanks!

You will need the Wii remote for many games, and it's a must have for backward compatible Wii games (which is a huge cheap library to enjoy). The steering wheel is not mandatory, but it does make the driving easier, IMO... especially for kids.

EDIT: Wii remote is very easy to use, but you should also add a $20 nunchuck (required to plug into the Wii remote for many games).

Yea, go for the Wii Remote bundle. The Steering Wheel is literally just a fancy plastic case for when playing using the gyro controls, though you can also do that with the GamePad, so it's more for Player 2's benefit.

If you don't mind mixed/matched parts, check Best Buy or GameStop. GameStop has tons of used Wii Remotes and Nunchucks and my local Best Buy often have Open Box discounted controllers, even the Pro Controller. Open Box doesn't work with GCU though.

If you had looking a little earlier, you could have gotten some great deals at Best Buy. BB has a Mario 3D World + Nintendoland for $300 while they have that same bundle with DK Tropical Freeze and Smash Bros for $410. Pick up Mario Kart for $60, apply for the Gamers Club Unlocked using the $30 for 2 years with $40+ game purchase, and your total would come to $406 before tax, essentially getting Smash and Mario Kart for free.

Unfortunately, the $30 promo expired Saturday and I don't know if it's coming back.

Thanks guys! I think I am sticking with the mk8 limited. Can always resell if a better deal comes around or just return it. the Mario themed stuff will be cool for him anyways.

Used remotes are like $20 on eBay, and I recommend getting them there. You will also need the motion plus remotes, not the regular ones.

You will also need a classic controller or a classic controller pro, if you want to play certain VC games since they don't work with the pro controller or the gamepad. There is also a PDP controller that just came out that looks like a GameCube controller and it plugs into the wii remote and acts like a classic controller, it looks really cool so I think I am going to pick one up for myself.

Be SUPER careful on eBay, since there are tons of Chinese knock off Wii remotes and nunchucks.

I didn't check recently, but as of a few weeks ago Nintendo still had the refurbished sets of Wii remote + nunchuck for $20... and the one I got looked perfectly like new.

You can find the real remotes, you are better off going for a BIN rather than an auction. I have scored official nunchucks for $4-6 shipped and official motion plus remotes for $18 BIN. I think GS charges $35 for a used remote so this is way better.

I thrift alot, and I see official nunchucks semi-routinely for about $2-3 (just got to clean them well first...)  Wii Remotes are not as common.

If you have a Half Price Books locally, they have good deals on their remotes, even better if you can hit the 20/30/40/50% off coupon week (which unfortunately just passed).

Could also try local pawn shops, just try to stick to ones in nicer areas (if possible?).

None of these are consistent everytime you go in, but if you have a few weeks to try and find them, go for it.

Awesome info! Thanks! Gonna check around for the nunchuck. Does anyone know if smw3d requires the nunchuk? My son is getting that and the mk8 for Christmas. At 7, two games Is fine. I looked at the bundke best buy has for bf. Good value, but just too many games to start.

SM3DW requires either the gamepad, Wii U Pro Controller, Wii Remote + Nunchuck, or Wii Remote + Classic Controller (the one for the original WIi discussed earlier).

So for 2 player you will need at least one Wii Remote + Nunchuck to go along with the P1 gamepad play.

The remotes and nunchucks can also be opened up and completely cleaned out very easily so if you want to make it look new then this is the way to go. Look on YouTube for a video, anyone can do it. I wouldn't pass up a dirty scratched remote for this reason, I bought some that were dirty and horribly scratched and they work the same as a new one after being cleaned aside from cosmetic scratches.

The only thing I would caution against is battery corrosion, for some reason the remotes have very sensitive electronics inside and will not work right even if there is even a tiny bit of battery corrosion. The remotes also corrode easily since they have parasitic battery drain, which means they suck your batteries down even when they are not being used. I recommend going on Amazon and buying some rechargeable batteries and a charger if you don't already have them since rechargables do not leak like alkaline.

Rodeo the sky soldier reboot trailer, coming to wii-u , and 3ds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyWf0PUU-28

I read that its going to have the previously unreleased (but completed) Wii version for the Wii U copy, not sure if it will be a separate physical disc, or just digital as an extra.  Still cool it's seeing the light of day at least in the East.

Just took my WiiU out of the box and am waiting for the controller to charge. Forgot my NNID, so I'll have to call nintendo. Somehow I remember my Club Nintendo password though.

I have a question about the wii u. My son is asking for one for Christmas. Mario Kart 8 is tops on his list. This is s something I would be playing with him.

So I was able to find the mk8 limited bundle locally. It comes with the mario wii mote and a steering wheel. Came to about 350 with tax. Walmart has a mk8 bundle but no extra controller for 300. Would have to buy something.

My question is about the wii mote. Is it an easy controller to use? Do I need the wii u pro controller? He Is 7 and will probably play mario games, and other kid style games. Do you guys actually use the wii mote or steering wheel? I may try piecing together something with the sm3w from eBay if the extra stuff in the bundke are junk. Thanks!
buy the walmart exclusive this week 300 with 50 dollar gift card

The high capacity battery is back on Nintendo of America's website... I'm really tempted to pick one up since I missed it the last time it was available. 

[quote name="KillerRamen" post="12306684" timestamp="1417914891"]The high capacity battery is back on Nintendo of America's website... I'm really tempted to pick one up since I missed it the last time it was available. [/quote]

Do it if you have the money. It's very much worth it.

I bought one a couple weeks ago and it's definitely an improvement. 

Except I've barely used the Gamepad lately.  :lol:

So has NoA put out an official word regarding the Wii U GC adapters? Are they discontinued or what? 

I know NoE said they're not but not sure if that also applies to other regions. 

bread's done
Back