Wii U - General Discussion Thread

Just got a Wii U and have a B2G1 coupon from GS, thinking of Smash but I can't make up my mind on the other two. Any suggestions?
Definitely get Bayonetta 2, it's the best game on the system, in my opinion. I also suggest getting Mario Kart 8, Hyrule Warriors, Mario 3D World (if it didn't already come with your system), DKC Tropical Freeze, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (unless you have a 3DS, then get 4 Ultimate), and Wonderful 101 are all great games.

Looking for a complete copy of Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper. Cheapest price point seems to be 30 bucks on Ebay. None of my Gamestops have complete copies. Feel like just biting the bullet, but something tells me I can find it for 20 or so if I hold out. I realize the game probably ain't very good, but I love musou games and I'm trying to collect all major and semi-major Nintendo WiiU exclusives. 

Or the same game as a multiplatform release...
Everyone is saying that the NX is coming out sooner that what it really will. Iwata said that they will share more information about it next year. Besides the NX might be a handheld. Bottom line is that the Wii-U successor is most likely coming out in 2017 and Zelda won't be pushed back that far.

Picking up a screen protector for the Gamepad. Is anyone using any skins or cases for it? Don't know if I should get one.
I doubt you can find it now (at least for the ~$2 I paid), but the clear shell protector from Best Buy is what I've been using since I got my Wii U for MK8. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/rocketfish-wii-u-invisishell-transparent/6891331.p?id=1218810565088&skuId=6891331&reviewsPage=3 it seems to have been moved from Best Buy but that's what I've been using.

Is I just me or are there very few third part accessories for the Wii U? Nowhere near the gazillion of accessories available for the Wii.

Not gonna lie, I'm excited. 

CBbXfTEWgAAKLn9.jpg

I wouldn't be mad if the whole direct was simply Splatoon footage. 

Is I just me or are there very few third part accessories for the Wii U? Nowhere near the gazillion of accessories available for the Wii.
There were a lot more Wii's in the market so there is money to be made. The Wii represents the end of crappy 3rd party accessories that were huge in the PS2/Xbox/GCN era.

So I've never owned a Nintendo console besides a DS when I was younger, and I was just wondering if it was worth it to get a Wii U if I am really only going to play exlcusives. I basically just want it as a "party" console for games like mario kart and smash bros, but I also want to be able to play it all. Is there a good amount of depth of games to play the Wii U without friends or is it better with people> 

I think the real question is whether you have fun playing the games that are on Wii U by yourself or not. If you can see yourself enjoying games like Mario Kart, Smash, NSMB U, etc. then I don't think there's really a reason to not get the system. 

Sure, a lot of those games have awesome couch co-op, but I play all of those games by myself regularly. Mario Kart 8 is still playable even after I unlocked everything (especially with the new 200cc difficulty coming out, and the 2nd of the 2 DLC packs also releasing soon). Amiibo are fun enough to play against in Smash once you get them up to the higher levels, and they are actually decent competitors- much better than level 9 CPUs. 

It's also dependent on what games you want to play. 

So, this might be kinda of an odd question but what's the most universal controller I can get for the Wii U for multiplayer across all the systems the Wii U supports? Like, I want to minimize the number of controllers needed for MP. The Wii U is a great MP system, especially when you add in all the Wii and GC games, not to mention Virtual Console/eShop games, but having to have so many controllers makes it a PITA. 

I know that you can use GC controllers in Smash U and when playing GC games (via Wii mode) and that's it. The Wii U Pro controllers work with Wii U/eShop, but not Wii or GC games. 

I have a few old GC controllers and Wii remotes/nunchucks but not enough for a complete set of 4. I'd just like to avoid having to buy 4x Wii U Pro Controllers, 2x Remotes/3x Nunchucks, and 2x GC controllers if there's are alternatives that'll work across systems. 

First off, you can't play GCN games directly on the Wii U (you can on BC Wii units, but not on the Wii U), so that makes the GCN controllers only useful for Smash at the moment (though more use could be potentially planned).

Second, the bare minimum you should have for MP on Wii U would be four Wii remotes (preferably motion plus types, but not many MP games require motion plus) and four nunchucks, relatively inexpensive and will cover most all games for MP comfortably.

Getting one (or two) Classic Controller (or Classic Controller Pro) will cover your needs for playing most all other games via Wii mode, and the CC and CCP will work on a variety of Wii U games, so overall this one is very universal.

Finally, I would get at least one Wii U pro controller, but hold off on getting more at the moment (since they are pricey).  One will help with playing MP games on Wii U with one other person most comfortably, but in many cases Remote + Nunchuck / CC / CCP will work just as fine for 3-5 player games.

Yeah, Wiimote + Nunchuck probably covers more multiplayer games than anything else. 

The Wii U Pro Controller is terrific though.

Bah... I keep forgetting the Wii U doesn't support GC games. 

I'm not a big fan of the remote/nunchuck for most games but seems like that's the most commonly used control scheme. Can you use the Wii U Pro controller on Wii games that support the CC? I love the Wii U Pro controller but hate the CC/CCP. 

Last edited by a moderator:
That sucks. Although not the best controller, I prefer to use CCP for Wii games when I can but hate now it has to be tethered to the Remote. 

Oh well, thanks for clearing this controller stuff up for me guys. 

Glad to see this thread bumped as it reminded me to ask the following: 

What are the chances of the Mario Maker Wii U Bundle coming to the US?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFPHaBmA5GA

CKg3s4WWcAA3fcb.png

In case you may have missed it or dom't visit the amiibo thread in the Deals forum, there will be a Retro 3-pack amiibo at GameStop on 8/8 with ROB, Duck Hunt, and Mr. Game and Watch.

However, from the wording of the leak, it seems other stores will still get the individual figures.

Do note that this is NOT a licensed Nintendo product. Not sure if Nintendo will try and have it taken down, but they do not endorse the product.

What exactly is the SD card required for in the Wii U? So far the only thing I have seen mention it was SSB warning me that I couldn't take snapshots or something, which is something I couldn't care less about. Are there any games where it's actually necessary to have it for an important part of the game?

I think the SD slot is just there for Wii BC games that utilize it, which off hand games like Excite Truck and Endless Ocean that you can play music from the SD card are the most prominent.  Other than that its just a SS saver, like in Animal Crossing and SSB, nothing more that I know of.

Anyone else notice the prominence of "pin holes" in their wii U discs?

You won't see them unless you hold a disc up to a flourscent/bright light, but I've noticed about 30% of my Wii U games have them. Even brand new games have them. I never had any data issues but my friend claims he couldn't play COD Black Ops 2 due to disc errors and he had a hole on the inner disc.

So how good are the chances we will not see Star Fox/new Zelda on Wii U but the NX?
I think both will *eventually* hit on the Wii U. Nintendo has to think that it owes at least that much to its core users. And from a business standpoint, Zelda could help move NX consoles, but the game also will not sell as well if its confined as a launch title. The Gamecube version of Twilight Princess, for example, easily outsold the Wii version.

Star Fox, however, was just delayed indefinitely into 2016. I still think that one will go gold faster than Zelda, but it's not far-fetched to think that the game may benefit from being a NX title versus just another Wii U game. Besides, it desperately needs a coat of next-gen paint anyways, and Platinum is the developer to do it, but I don't see any point for Nintendo to rush in getting it out.

It's not often said, but any industry follower knows the Wii U is an epic commercial failure and it's frankly too late to turn the tide at this point. Far better for Nintendo to just go on ahead and get these ready for the NX, too, so ports can be ready to go.

Um, Star Fox was delayed into Quarter 1 (January, February, March) 2016, not indefinitely. Unless something got released in the last few hours I wasn't aware of.

I think both will *eventually* hit on the Wii U. Nintendo has to think that it owes at least that much to its core users. And from a business standpoint, Zelda could help move NX consoles, but the game also will not sell as well if its confined as a launch title. The Gamecube version of Twilight Princess, for example, easily outsold the Wii version.

Star Fox, however, was just delayed indefinitely into 2016. I still think that one will go gold faster than Zelda, but it's not far-fetched to think that the game may benefit from being a NX title versus just another Wii U game. Besides, it desperately needs a coat of next-gen paint anyways, and Platinum is the developer to do it, but I don't see any point for Nintendo to rush in getting it out.

It's not often said, but any industry follower knows the Wii U is an epic commercial failure and it's frankly too late to turn the tide at this point. Far better for Nintendo to just go on ahead and get these ready for the NX, too, so ports can be ready to go.
What? There's no way the GC version outsold the Wii version. You can barely find a copy of the GC version. There were articles at the time saying "TP on Wii is selling with 1 out of 3 Wii's (at launch)".

What? There's no way the GC version outsold the Wii version. You can barely find a copy of the GC version. There were articles at the time saying "TP on Wii is selling with 1 out of 3 Wii's (at launch)".
yeah it's ridiculous to think the gcn version of TP outsold the wii "launch" version.

So I read that amiibo festival is free to download. Can the cards from the $6 packs be used to play it or do you have to buy 4 different $13 amiibos?

Last edited by a moderator:
You can use the cards in the quiz show and Island Escape modes, but I don't think they can be used in the main board game mode.

I finally got around to buying and setting up my Wii U. I picked up the ZombieU bundle for $199 at Toys R Us a month or two ago (it's on clearance if stores still stock it). I took it with me on a family vacation in August since most of my relatives are much younger (I'm the oldest cousin). Before I left I picked up multi-player games Smash Bros. and Mario Kart and had Ducktales laying around.

So my first impressions weren't great. I haven't put a lot of hours into it admittingly but is there a way to set the system up so that the tablet gamepad is NEVER used or activated? I know it has "cute" "gimmicky" features but I'll never use them and a few times for whatever reason I had to mess with the tablet controller just to get games started or do basic interface tasks on the home screen even though I had other OEM Pro Controllers running. 

It seems to me, and this is based off having other consoles hooked up elsewhere (PS3/PS4, 360/X1) that this is just a mess of a system from a hardware and acessory stand point. I can't even tell you the number of cables and wires I have all over the place for this thing. It also always amazes me that the PS3/PS4 use a standard power cable but MS and Nintendo consoles have power bricks that are almost as big as the console.

Anyways I want to start playing first party offline games and nothing about these is really innovative to me, or at least in the way where I need to play new(er) games now so I'd like to start with games that are cheaper.... which is kind of a bad term to use since first party games rarely go on sale.

Did I see that Nintendo made a Super Mario U / Luigi U bundle? I think I saw that at Best Buy. Figured I might pick that up and maybe Wind Waker and 3D World.

I haven't had a nintendo system since the gamecube; Wii U doesn't have any bomberman games does it?

Trying to skip anymore party games; I had fun with Mario Kart but I'm not technical enough to enjoy Smash Bros for more then 15 minutes or so.

There's a Bomberman download in Wii eShop, and it's a version that was not available in the U.S. I believe.
Thanks! I'll check it out.

I bought Super Mario U / Luigi U combo as part of a B2G1 at Target and I'm enjoying it.

Problem is I only want to play with the Pro Controller but the Tablet Controller powers on and mirrors whatever is on my TV. Like I literally can't find a way to shut it off.

It sits in the charging cradle that came with the Zombie U bundle and I never use it---except for those annoying times that the Wii U forces me to to do basic tasks that could be done with the Pro Controller.

I just feel like it's going to burn out the screen and it's completely unnecessary to power on all the time when I don't plan on using it.

Basically nothing you can do about the Gamepad.  It will be on during the game.  Mine also just sits in the cradle most of the time.

The screens will be on for *every* Wii U though.  Since screen burnout hasn't been a problem yet (even for launch consoles) it must be very reliable/durable.

bread's done
Back