Wii U - General Discussion Thread

Interesting. I still don't see why it would take so long for them to actually get them to retailers.
Sony had the same problem with the Playstation Camera last fall. Sometimes demand can greatly out-way the supply.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a reminder: Animal Crossing Plaza will no longer be available for download as of 12/22. Not a great loss to mankind, but it could be fun to check in from time to time.

http://www.nintendo.com/wiiu/eshop/animal-crossing-plaza

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/12/animal_crossing_plaza_service_stops_at_the_end_of_this_month

"Even though you won't be able to post to the community anymore, you will still be able to visit all your favorite characters in the plaza after the service finishes, as long as you have already downloaded Animal Crossing Plaza."

Well I joined the club yesterday! There were multiple reasons such as the upcoming Zelda but primarily was interested in Captain Toad and the great amiibo chase of 2014. Toad was out at Target but still was able to use the BOGO 40% off promo on 3D land and Smash. Picked up the pro controller, wonderful 101 and wii fit u at kmart on clearance. Then was able to find the MK 8 bundle at a Walmart about 30 mins away. (The new stock was so just the vanilla deluxe model with Nintendoland so these bundles appear to just be a Holiday promotion).

All in all extremely happy for just a little more than $500. Now i can use my 15 amiibos Ive been hunting. Well done Nintendo.

Ive been looking at a Wii U sincelast year but there wasnt a system seller for me until Smash came out. Now to really start building this backlog! Still want Toad, zombieu and Bayonetta.

[quote name="xtreme_Zr2" post="12363002" timestamp="1419695103"]Well I joined the club yesterday! There were multiple reasons such as the upcoming Zelda but primarily was interested in Captain Toad and the great amiibo chase of 2014. Toad was out at Target but still was able to use the BOGO 40% off promo on 3D land and Smash. Picked up the pro controller, wonderful 101 and wii fit u at kmart on clearance. Then was able to find the MK 8 bundle at a Walmart about 30 mins away. (The new stock was so just the vanilla deluxe model with Nintendoland so these bundles appear to just be a Holiday promotion).

All in all extremely happy for just a little more than $500. Now i can use my 15 amiibos Ive been hunting. Well done Nintendo.

Ive been looking at a Wii U sincelast year but there wasnt a system seller for me until Smash came out. Now to really start building this backlog! Still want Toad, zombieu and Bayonetta.[/quote]awesome dude. You will not be disappointed. Lots of stellar games already on the console and more to come next year like Splatoon, Xenoblade and Zelda U of course.

Other games you should take a look at are: DKC Tropical Freeze, Duck Tales Remastered, Capt Toad, wind Waker hd and shovel knight.

Have fun. My NNID is Roytherobot if you ever want to race on MK8 or battle in smash.

[quote name="DNukem170" post="12363018" timestamp="1419695537"]Don't bother with Zombie U. There are dozens of games better than it.[/quote]I haven't played it, but I know a lot of people that liked zombi U.

Edit: lol, I actually bought ZombiU today. Gonna see how good or bad it is.

Personally, ZombiU didn't really draw me in. It's just so-so. It might have been a good launch title, but by the time I got to it there were much better games out.

Thanks for the input..Roy let me know how ZombieU is..seems like a love it or hate it.

So are friend codes now gone? I can add a friend based on his/her NNID? I never went online with the Wii..just played Mario Kart Wii locally.

After day 1..Im extremely impressed. Ive only played 3D land so far and it might be the best Mario game Ive ever played.

Thanks for the input..Roy let me know how ZombieU is..seems like a love it or hate it.

So are friend codes now gone? I can add a friend based on his/her NNID? I never went online with the Wii..just played Mario Kart Wii locally.

After day 1..Im extremely impressed. Ive only played 3D land so far and it might be the best Mario game Ive ever played.
I think you mean 3D World? 3D Land is on the 3DS. But yeah, it's quite the amazing game. All of the first party titles have some serious quality.

I'm also a new member to the Wii U club, though mine isn't set up yet since I'm waiting on my external HDD that will be paired with it to show up.  I picked up the SM3DW bundle from Target when they had it for $50 off, so I already have Nintendo Land and SM3DW.

I had previously picked up MK8, Bayonetta 2, Hyrule Warriors and Wonderful 101 before I had the Wii U, so I was curious of what Wii U exclusives I should be picking up to go with it.  Since I see that Pikmin 3 seems to be out of print, I think I'll be using some of my Wii U card I had picked up from BB previously on getting that in digital form.

I know Smash Brothers is a given, though I'm wondering what else should be something to look into.

I'm also a new member to the Wii U club, though mine isn't set up yet since I'm waiting on my external HDD that will be paired with it to show up. I picked up the SM3DW bundle from Target when they had it for $50 off, so I already have Nintendo Land and SM3DW.

I had previously picked up MK8, Bayonetta 2, Hyrule Warriors and Wonderful 101 before I had the Wii U, so I was curious of what Wii U exclusives I should be picking up to go with it. Since I see that Pikmin 3 seems to be out of print, I think I'll be using some of my Wii U card I had picked up from BB previously on getting that in digital form.

I know Smash Brothers is a given, though I'm wondering what else should be something to look into.
That is a great start up for your library. If you like the 2D mario games, I would suggest picking NSMB-U and NSL-U. You cannot go wrong with Donkey Kong either.

Wind Waker HD is a fantastic game even if you've previously played the GC version. 

Highly recommend Pikmin 3. 

Also really liked Tropical Freeze, the music is bliss and the levels are much more fleshed out and colorful than DKCR. 

That is a great start up for your library. If you like the 2D mario games, I would suggest picking NSMB-U and NSL-U. You cannot go wrong with Donkey Kong either.
I'll look for NSMB-U and NSL-U as well as DKTF. Maybe next cadidates for B2G1.

Wind Waker HD is a fantastic game even if you've previously played the GC version. Highly recommend Pikmin 3. Also really liked Tropical Freeze, the music is bliss and the levels are much more fleshed out and colorful than DKCR.
Forgot I also had WW HD as well. Guess I have the important ones so far. Just have to find some cheap black nunchucks to match the black Wiimote+ units I picked up from Sears.

[quote name="shrike4242" post="12368675" timestamp="1419890882"]I'm also a new member to the Wii U club, though mine isn't set up yet since I'm waiting on my external HDD that will be paired with it to show up. I picked up the SM3DW bundle from Target when they had it for $50 off, so I already have Nintendo Land and SM3DW.

I had previously picked up MK8, Bayonetta 2, Hyrule Warriors and Wonderful 101 before I had the Wii U, so I was curious of what Wii U exclusives I should be picking up to go with it. Since I see that Pikmin 3 seems to be out of print, I think I'll be using some of my Wii U card I had picked up from BB previously on getting that in digital form.

I know Smash Brothers is a given, though I'm wondering what else should be something to look into.[/quote]I also agree with what the other guys recommended. Lego City Undercover and Captain Toad are also great.

I have a few extra Super Mario 3D World Club Nintendo codes I'm looking to trade. Is this an appropriate place to discuss it? Not sure if the Trading Section is a good place to ask for trades since it's mostly physical items or games, etc. and not Club Nintendo codes.

I'd really like to get a Smash Bros. for 3DS and Wii U Club Nintendo codes.

I have a question for you Wii U owners with kids.  Can I have my son's Mii and have the Wii U associated with my Nintendo ID?  I tried to link it after I created his user and wanted to make sure I do this correctly.  Basically, I want him to be the main user of the Wii U but have my ID linked to that system.  He has a 2DS and a ID himself but would rather not use his.  I have my own 3DS with ID and want to use that to link seeing all coins are registered under my ID. 

So what is the best course here?  Set up my own user and have him be the main user? 

Thanks!

I have a question for you Wii U owners with kids. Can I have my son's Mii and have the Wii U associated with my Nintendo ID? I tried to link it after I created his user and wanted to make sure I do this correctly. Basically, I want him to be the main user of the Wii U but have my ID linked to that system. He has a 2DS and a ID himself but would rather not use his. I have my own 3DS with ID and want to use that to link seeing all coins are registered under my ID.

So what is the best course here? Set up my own user and have him be the main user?

Thanks!
I believe the Mii used is independent of the NNID.

Try going into Mii Maker and selecting the one you want to use as your main Mii.

Wii U is only good for super smash bros
KZjMS.gif

Relatively new to Wii U (since about mid November).  I haven't had as much time as I'd like to spend into it, but I've been loving it.  For the niche market as myself who has not yet bought a touch smart phone or tablet, the gamepad is spiffy (just short on battery life with the standard battery).  I'm able to get connectivity in both bathrooms and one one edge of the bed in our room, so my wife and I use it around the house (browser, youtube, Netflix).

For games, I've been playing the hell out of Nintendo Land, one of the best launch / bundled games in some time IMO.  Also I've only put a couple of hours into it so far, but I do really like ZombiU.  For someone who got out of the survival horror genre after SH4 and RE4, I think it has plenty of good ideas to keep you entertained (just maybe not the best execution).

I have WWHD and SM3DW on the back burner when I get around to them. Plan on getting DKCTF when I can snag it for $30 or less as my next purchase, already have the Wii U Pro controller for that.

Just got one for Christmas and looking to get some people on my friends list. Add me if you want, don't know if I'll be posting here much though.

For multiplayer I have Smash, Bayonetta 2, and Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate. Plan on getting Mario Kart later but could be a while.

NNID: SIX_min_WHISTLE

Looks like I just doubled my Wii U library in one day:

Before today:

Bayonetta 2
Hyrule Warriors
Legend Of Zelda - The Wind Waker HD, The
Mario Kart 8
Nintendoland
Super Mario 3D World
Wonderful 101, The

Just added today

New Super Mario Brothers U w/New Super Luigi U - pretty much new copy from GS
Wii Party U - pretty much new copy from GS

Captain Toad Treasure Tracker - BB via GCU
Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze - BB via GCU

Game And Wario - new copy via 3rd party Amazon vendor
ZombiiU - new copy via 3rd party Amazon vendor

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate - new copy via 3rd party Amazon vendor

We only hooked up are WiiU a few days ago but we have had it since the MK8 bundles were released. We were going to give it to my son for his b-day in Setember but held off giving it to him for Xmas. Now I did take it out of the box and hook it up before to download the free games from the MK8 promo but I packed it back up like new till we hooked up a few days ago. Once I hooked it up I downloaded a update than moved all the downloaded games onto a 2.0 320gb portable hard drive I had around the house with a "Y" cable. I also downloaded two more games Game & Wario and NES Remix. I also added a rubber sleeve to the controller for protecion and a screen protector to the gamepad. Now I dont know if this is a problem i should be concerned about or it could be as simple as the way my son was holding the gamepad. The other day I set him up to play Game & Wario and he was playing the gamepad mini games which require you to hold the gamepad longways. Now I dont know if he was just resting his hand on the power button or if something might be wrong with the system but it would shut itself off every few minutes. Now he was playing on our basement TV which is cooler than the rest of the house and in a opened well ventilated entertainment center so I think overheating would not be the cause. Now after I restarted everything for him twice and I played for awhile with him after that and the issue never seem to resurface. Now I guess my question is after all of that is should i be concerened at all? Has this issue happened to any of you with your WiiU's?

Thanks,

Guess the next games I'll track down will be Lego City Undercover, Wii Sports Club and Rayman Legends.  I think I'll wait out Smash Bros for a little bit since it's not going anywhere and I'm waiting for the foolishess with the GC controller adapter situation gets worked out.

Guess the next games I'll track down will be Lego City Undercover, Wii Sports Club and Rayman Legends. I think I'll wait out Smash Bros for a little bit since it's not going anywhere and I'm waiting for the foolishess with the GC controller adapter situation gets worked out.
All three of those are great games with Rayman being the cream of the crop.

Went to Best Buy to check on that free cradle that had a thread yesterday. It wasn't free anymore but was only $3 so I picked it up. I have the Basic set so figure it wouldn't hurt to have one at that price.

I am hoping for release dates of Xenoblade and STEAM.

Well even if they just gave the quarter. I need to figure out how I am going to spend my time gaming wise. Between Witcher 3, P5, among other rpg's that are waiting to take my money.
Code Name S.T.E.A.M already has a release date. It was announced on the VGAs that it will release on March 13th, 2015.

First Wii Game makes it to the eShop: Super Mario Galaxy 2

I like having the games downloaded and available without dealing with the discs, myself.

I'm a sucker for these Wii games.  I bought both SMG2 and Punch-Out!! and I'm definitely getting Metroid Prime Trilogy next week.  I wish they were upscaled to HD but other than that they are GREAT games.

I'm a sucker for these Wii games. I bought both SMG2 and Punch-Out!! and I'm definitely getting Metroid Prime Trilogy next week. I wish they were upscaled to HD but other than that they are GREAT games.
People are complaining about them costing $20 after the first week but I don't get it. The games announced are easily worth that and more.

That being said I own the three you mentioned so I'm not looking to purchase any of them.

People are complaining about them costing $20 after the first week but I don't get it. The games announced are easily worth that and more.

That being said I own the three you mentioned so I'm not looking to purchase any of them.
I was going to jump on SMG2 for $10 last week and sell my physical copy. But with Nintendo's announcement, values have tanked and it wasn't worth going digital.

Curious to see if the steelbook version of MPT will also tank in value soon.  I know after GS shot out the non-steelbook version they took a hit, but still worthwhile to keep around.

If anyone needs a USB Ethernet adapter for their Wii U, this is one I picked up from Amazon and works great:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00484IEJS/

This is one of a number of ones that seem to work without issue, since it has the ASIX AX88772 chipset which is the same chipset in the now discontinued official Wii USB Ethernet adapter.  Specifically about this one, I have had great luck with items made by Plugable Technologies, as I have bought other Ethernet adapters, cables and USB hubs from them without any of them failing to-date.

So how hard is the Wii to WiiU transfer if everything I need to transfer is on a SD memory card? I have a ton of virtual console games I would like to move over.

Thanks for the quick reply.

If I move them over to the WiiU can they be played right off the WiiU pad screen?
It'll display, but you can't use the game pad to control them. You'll still need to use a wiimote and classic controller where necessary.

If I still have Wii points on my Wii and plan to do a Wii to Wii U system transfer, I'm guessing I need to buy VC games before doing the transfer, right? 

Nintendo wouldn't make it so those points came over during the transfer.  They wouldn't be that smart, would they?

bread's done
Back