Wii U - General Discussion Thread

[quote name='foltzie']$50 more for 24GB more of flash storage is actually fairly competitive compared to other devices.[/QUOTE]

Sadly, this is true. And we have Microsoft and Sony to thank for this second WiiU model. For this entire console cycle Microsoft has been overcharging for in-system memory storage, starting with their legendarily bad decision to launch with a 360 model that did not even have a HDD. Sony at least managed to avoid that faux-pas, but both companies have been releasing different models of their system with progressively bigger built-in storage for the duration of this hardware cycle. Thanks to that, consumers have grown used to this multi-package option approach. And thus we have the basic and deluxe WiiU packages.

I don't think Amazon will do release day delivery since its released on a Sunday. That is if they even offer them for preorder. I'm not sure if BB or WM allows you to preorder online for in store pickup with past console launches.

Can you get a refund on the $50 deposit for a GS preorder? I'm just wondering since I'd rather buy from Amazon IF they do a preorder.

[quote name='screwkick']Seems like only Gamestop in-store right now. I don't really want to give GS any money if i don't have to. Hopefully Amazon, and Best Buy will be up soon.[/QUOTE]

Here's some GAMESTOP WiiU PRE-ORDER INFO (in-store only for now):

- $25 down for PUR members; $50 for non-members
- There will be old hardware system promotion for trade-in towards a WiiU pre-order (http://www.gamestop.com/tradeins#wiiutradeup)
--- $50 credit for old Wii system
--- $115 credit for phat PS3 and slim Xbox 360
--- $140 for slim PS3 system
--- $90 for 3DS system, PSVita, or original Xbox 360
--- ADDITIONAL $10 BONUS for PUR members
--- Expires 9/23/12

- NintendoLand game only is still $100 in the computer, so buying the Premium $350 bundle is a steal! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Richard Kain']Sadly, this is true. And we have Microsoft and Sony to thank for this second WiiU model. For this entire console cycle Microsoft has been overcharging for in-system memory storage, starting with their legendarily bad decision to launch with a 360 model that did not even have a HDD. Sony at least managed to avoid that faux-pas, but both companies have been releasing different models of their system with progressively bigger built-in storage for the duration of this hardware cycle. Thanks to that, consumers have grown used to this multi-package option approach. And thus we have the basic and deluxe WiiU packages.[/QUOTE]

I'm glad you mentioned Sony and the PS3, you know the system that just said to hell with fucking over our users on proprietary media and let them put whatever HDD they want in it... Yeah, thanks for paying attention to them too Nintendo...

[quote name='Richard Kain']Nintendo has always been obsessive about performance in their hardware design. It's a large part of why they were so late in adopting optical media, and going with a smaller version of optical media when they did. (the GameCube's smaller discs allowed for much faster read speeds, and more reliable hardware spindles) This is likely an extension of that ethos. Hard drives are much more prone to failure and data corruption than solid state memory. They also have contribute significantly to the heat produced in the system. Solid state memory is more expensive, but has numerous advantages from a hardware perspective. It's likely that the WiiU will never suffer from the jet-engine sounds that the XBox360 and PS3 are prone to developing.

That said, I would be very interested to see what kind of external storage options are going to be available for the WiiU. Will it be able to accept SD cards the same way the Wii did? I would have to know how essential to the experience that extra memory would be before I opted to pick up the premium model.

Nintendo has definitely gone with some riskier pricing. It's going to be interesting to see how this all shakes out.[/QUOTE]

Flash is also quieter and smaller and more efficient. And Flash decreases in price over time compared to hard drives which will always have a larger fixed cost that won't go away although flash prices can and do fluctuate with supply and demand in the short term.

Also the types of games Nintendo develops do not require a lot of storage space. They don't do any photo realistic graphics.

And I think Nintendo expects that bigger games will remain on discs. Also one can expand the storage space gathering from various comments and even use a usb hard drive?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Wanderlai']I don't think Amazon will do release day delivery since its released on a Sunday. That is if they even offer them for preorder. I'm not sure if BB or WM allows you to preorder online for in store pickup with past console launches.

Can you get a refund on the $50 deposit for a GS preorder? I'm just wondering since I'd rather buy from Amazon IF they do a preorder.[/QUOTE]

Amazon doesn't currently sell Nintendo hardware directly. I doubt they will take preorders at all for WiiU.

I'm sure I'll get one eventually. I mean, we're kinda due for a new Metroid game; they haven't done one since Corruption, and that was pretty good.

We'll just see how long I have to wait for the necessary amount of games-I'm-interested-in-and-can't-play-on-PC to build up.

[quote name='mykevermin']This feels apologetic. "For people who wish to spend more, it's easy! Just spend more to spend more!"

32GB would have been okay as a starting point. 8GB makes me have the sads for Nintendo.[/QUOTE]

The Xbox 360 still has a 4GB model and it seems to do fairly well. The $199 4GB model is #1 on Amazon and the $299 4GB Model with Kinect is the #2 best selling Xbox 360 console on Amazon.

I do agree that I would have rather seen the 32GB and no 8GB model, but for whatever reason multiple SKUs seem to be the new normal. I think they're probably most likely doing this so they can say that the Wii U is starting at $249.99 as opposed to $299.99.

[quote name='majorscud']Amazon doesn't currently sell Nintendo hardware directly. I doubt they will take preorders at all for WiiU.[/QUOTE]

so no amazon wii u preorders today?

[quote name='jkam']Did they mention anything about Virtual Console game carrying over?[/QUOTE]

Yes, they will carry over.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU---

I don't have room on my shelves for a Wii U section yet! Blah!

I'm probably gonna hold off on buying one. Bayonetta 2 is the only day one buy right now for me. God I hate when new consoles come out. So much money gets queued up :|

[quote name='KillerRamen']The Xbox 360 still has a 4GB model and it seems to do fairly well. The $199 4GB model is #1 on Amazon and the $299 4GB Model with Kinect is the #2 best selling Xbox 360 console on Amazon.

I do agree that I would have rather seen the 32GB and no 8GB model, but for whatever reason multiple SKUs seem to be the new normal. I think they're probably most likely doing this so they can say that the Wii U is starting at $249.99 as opposed to $299.99.[/QUOTE]

I think you mean starting at $299.99...

[quote name='KillerRamen']The Xbox 360 still has a 4GB model and it seems to do fairly well. The $199 4GB model is #1 on Amazon and the $299 4GB Model with Kinect is the #2 best selling Xbox 360 console on Amazon.

I do agree that I would have rather seen the 32GB and no 8GB model, but for whatever reason multiple SKUs seem to be the new normal. I think they're probably most likely doing this so they can say that the Wii U is starting at $249.99 as opposed to $299.99.[/QUOTE]

Touche, but add $50 to your prices. ;)

[quote name='Ultimate Matt X']I have to disagree as I think the Metroid and Call of Duty demos both showed it. For Metroid it gives the ability to have two separate types of gameplay going on at once and for COD it was the two screens instead of split screen. Which I'll admit might not be worth it for a lot of people, but it's there.

Personally, the two screens instead of split screen is a big thing for me as I'm into couch co-op and split screen gaming gets on my nerves at times. I'm also looking forward to the ability to pause some games and continue on the toilet. :)[/QUOTE]

The continuing the game on the controller thing is a big selling point whether you want to game and watch tv or someone else in your household wants the tv while you game or wants to game even though you are watching tv.

I wonder if it works on the toilet or outside on the deck?

[quote name='RedvsBlue']I think you mean starting at $299.99...[/QUOTE]

You're right, my mistake. Too much new information and the $249 price point just sticks out since it was the Wii's starting point. :whistle2:#

[quote name='Strell']Ok, seriously. What is the point of this comment?[/QUOTE]

The point is I've been defending Nintendo for years and years, and I'm finally at my breaking point. It's sad.

EDIT: Plus the Vita is a great piece of hardware that everyone is ignoring.

[quote name='Strell']That's all irrelevant and dodging the question.

Again, I'm the problem poster at this forum? Cripes.[/QUOTE]

Me: post post big post post
You: post post big post post

I'm not into bickering, I had a moment of frustration. I guess honestly it's just time for me to realize Nintendo's wares are no longer for me and move on. Sad day.

[quote name='Richard Kain']Nintendo has always been obsessive about performance in their hardware design. It's a large part of why they were so late in adopting optical media, and going with a smaller version of optical media when they did. (the GameCube's smaller discs allowed for much faster read speeds, and more reliable hardware spindles) This is likely an extension of that ethos.[/QUOTE]

Um, I think you have some facts backwards. And I don't think Nintendo was ever about the best performance.

[quote name='elessar123']Um, I think you have some facts backwards. And I don't think Nintendo was ever about the best performance.[/QUOTE]

Nintendo always worked hard to get the best load times.

A 199 option with 8gb and no wiiumote would of probably gotten me to buy one.
I dont want the wiiu mote screenpad at all. I just want a normal controller to play better looking nintendo games with. I can go buy a wiimoteplus for 20-30dollars if they come out with a better wiiusports title in the future.

I think the problem is most of these games in general can already be gotten on the 360/PS3. So It's more of a big push for people who only owned a Wii. But outside of the casual market, how many people are going to buy all these games that were already on the 360/PS3 when they had those said systems?

Nintendo is still doing their thing first party wise. You got your Wii Sports (Nintendo Land), you got Mario (New Mario Brothers Wii U) and your Wii Fit (Wii Fit U) so I'm not seeing the problem here outside of maybe no launch Zelda.

The price however is kind of a problem because the original Wii launched at $250. So your basically paying $50-$100 more for a beefed up Wii with a touch screen controller.

The amount of launch games is pretty awesome though.

[quote name='predseth']Since HDMI is our only option, does that mean it will upconvert Wii games?[/QUOTE]

It was already confirmed at E3 that it won't.

[quote name='jkam']Nintendo always worked hard to get the best load times.[/QUOTE]

Yes, but I think they would have had better performance if they used the outer edge of normal DVDs. Their reason for using mini DVDs was more driven by piracy and licensing, I believe.

I think Nintendo is looking to capitalize on the excitement of a being the first 8th generation console. I suspect that the Wii U is going to drop rather quickly in price like the Playstation 3 and 3DS.

I kind of want to buy one because I love Nintendo games and I like having the launch consoles, but it's always a better idea to wait. By the summer of 2013, it will have lots of games and by the 2013 Holiday Season it will probably have a bigger SDD and much lower price tag. I'm really thinking about just waiting for Black Friday 2013 in hopes of a sweet limited-edition Black Friday Wii U bundle. (I love my Red Wii that came with New Super Mario Bros Wii)

[quote name='pitfallharry219']Reggie made it sound like it wasn't full BC. He said it will work with "almost all of your Wii games".[/QUOTE]

That's usually how backwards compatibility works. It will probably work for most of them (especially the most popular games), but it might not work for every single game. The Xbox 360 is BC with Xbox games, but it doesn't work with all of them.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Xbox_games_compatible_with_Xbox_360

I think he probably said that more out of caution more so than anything. I seriously doubt they had the time to test all 1000+ games and they probably won't do it. We'll probably find out which games won't work after it's launched and people start playing it.

[quote name='elessar123']Yes, but I think they would have had better performance if they used the outer edge of normal DVDs. Their reason for using mini DVDs was more driven by piracy and licensing, I believe.[/QUOTE]

That was part of the reason, yes. And it is worth noting that it worked admirably for the run of the GameCube. I wouldn't really say it was more driven, though, especially since there was a licensed version of the GameCube that did play DVDs. (the notorious Q)

And just using the outer edge of DVDs would not have really helped that much. The issue wasn't just the read times, but also the durability of the system. When I say performance, I'm not talking about just processing power, but overall build quality and stability. Nintendo hardware has always been extremely durable. Sony sacrifices durability in favor of style. But Nintendo will willingly sacrifice style in the name of build quality. (hence why the original grey-brick DS existed)

Using a smaller disc for the GameCube was easier on the GameCube's spindle. Smaller, lighter discs are easier to spin. There isn't as much weight overall, and the smaller radius places less strain on the spindle in the event that things start to wobble out of balance. As an optical format, the GameCube's smaller discs were just all around better from a hardware perspective.

And everyone knows that cartridges are inherently better than optical formats for hardware performance on games. The read times are way better, and with modern solid state memory it is possible to have save data directly on cartridges. And of course, the lack of moving parts in cartridges makes the accompanying hardware inherently more stable.

In terms of hardware build quality, Nintendo has always, and probably will always be the best. They've just been doing it longer, and have gotten really good at it.

wow I thought since japan was dec 8th us release would be sometime in feb 2013.
But looks like Nov 18 2012 for the us release date. I would expect them to be sold out/short supply of the black version until Jan 2013.

[quote name='predseth']Since HDMI is our only option, does that mean it will upconvert Wii games?[/QUOTE]

This would actually be a huge selling point for me if I could play all of my Wii games on this thing and have them look like they do on PC. Too bad there isn't any upconversion.

[quote name='Ivanhoe']I would expect them to be sold out/short supply of the black version until Jan 2013.[/QUOTE]

It's going to depend on the market's response to this new system, as well as how effectively Nintendo markets the thing. That's the big question mark at the moment. The WiiU doesn't necessarily lend itself to demonstration through typical mass media. We saw this at its initial E3 introduction where people weren't even sure if it was a new system, or just a new controller.

At the same time, it has been seven years since the launch of the 360, and six since the launch of the Wii and PS3. In the past we've always seen fresh hardware from someone before this point. And there is still no word on the next XBox or Playstation, so they could both be another two to three years out.

Novelty alone might be enough to drive initial demand for the WiiU. But if I was Nintendo, I wouldn't gamble on that, and would push hard to market this system effectively.

I'd like to know the range of the tablet to. Can I game on it while lounging in bed with the console downstairs? I'm guessing not, but it sure would be nice if you could.

[quote name='KillerRamen']I think Nintendo is looking to capitalize on the excitement of a being the first 8th generation console. I suspect that the Wii U is going to drop rather quickly in price like the Playstation 3 and 3DS.

I kind of want to buy one because I love Nintendo games and I like having the launch consoles, but it's always a better idea to wait. By the summer of 2013, it will have lots of games and by the 2013 Holiday Season it will probably have a bigger SDD and much lower price tag. I'm really thinking about just waiting for Black Friday 2013 in hopes of a sweet limited-edition Black Friday Wii U bundle. (I love my Red Wii that came with New Super Mario Bros Wii)[/QUOTE]

It might drop 50bucks in a year. I think the wii took 2 years before it dropped in price from 249 to 199?
Or They could keep the price the same and upgrade the flash drives to 16gb and 64gb instead.
I don't see price being much of an issue unless PS3/360 have a price drop this year then things could be interesting.

Is there a list of compatible (or perhaps incompatible) Wii games? Would really like to know if we need to keep a Wii around too.

Also, how will download game/content transfers work, and will that be possible at launch?

[quote name='crunchewy']I'd like to know the range of the tablet to. Can I game on it while lounging in bed with the console downstairs? I'm guessing not, but it sure would be nice if you could.[/QUOTE]

From what I've heard, It won't extend to another room, but there weren't any exact details about how far it could go.

Also, Monolith Soft (Baten Kaitos, Xenoblade Chronicles) is developing a game for it, so I'm stoked about future prospects, but considering the most exciting games day one are probably going to be New Super Mario Bros. U (which probably will be a very solid game, just too much of the same formula in recent years) and Nintendoland I'm not seeing a launch purchase.

[quote name='Richard Kain']It's going to depend on the market's response to this new system, as well as how effectively Nintendo markets the thing. That's the big question mark at the moment. The WiiU doesn't necessarily lend itself to demonstration through typical mass media. We saw this at its initial E3 introduction where people weren't even sure if it was a new system, or just a new controller.

At the same time, it has been seven years since the launch of the 360, and six since the launch of the Wii and PS3. In the past we've always seen fresh hardware from someone before this point. And there is still no word on the next XBox or Playstation, so they could both be another two to three years out.

Novelty alone might be enough to drive initial demand for the WiiU. But if I was Nintendo, I wouldn't gamble on that, and would push hard to market this system effectively.[/QUOTE]

True. Good point. But parents have no clue. They just need to know its "new" and nintendo.. and blackfriday till xmas = sold out. After that its anyone guess if it will keep selling or not. I don't know how they can market this thing as the main focal point though.. but they HAVE to.

bread's done
Back