Wii U Price drop Sept. 20th/Pre-Order Now

Cindaddy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
Price drop September 20th to $299 for deluxe. Nintendo calls this a "limited edition" bundle.

Bundle includes:
  • Zelda Windwaker HD digital download
  • Free Hyrule Historia Book (Digital)
  • Gamepad is Zelda themed
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:23041]

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/372742703701696512/photo/1

*Bundle does not include Nintendoland. It is NOT Gamestop exclusive.

GS Pre-Order:Here

Best Buy Pre-Order http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Wii+U+Deluxe+-+The+Legend+of+Zelda%3A+The+Wind+Waker+Bundle/1654001.p?id=1219058301134&skuId=1654001&st=zelda%20wii%20u%20bundle&cp=1&lp=1

Last edited by a moderator:
Just how much spaces does a Wii U game take on a 32 GB HDD?

Edit:
Opps...i mean out of the flash memory...

Nintendo 3DS U confirmed! :lol:
Ah-hah! So this is the new Gamepad??? Hey maybe that would work, pack this into your console as your Gamepad and you're able to sell even more games!

Well people said the ZombieU bundle was OMG limited and sold out and although I live in a small market I've seen them as recently as this week at my Target, TRU, and Kmart.

I would think that the Zelda Wii U would sell just based on the fact it is Zelda and will launch at the lower price point. I wouldn't count on these being around for a black friday discount unless Nintendo does a second wave.

The 2DS looks like it would be more comfortable to hold than the 3DS. I think it will sell to kids and adults. Perhaps more to adults. My son likes the 3D, but I only flick it onto 3D occasionally to see what it looks like.

Price drop had to happen. 

$300 with a game doesn't sound so bad next to a $400 PS4 (with some games if you pay for PS+).

Still not enough to get me to bite as the games just aren't there and I really want to stick with just one console and not build a back log next gen.

Some IGN or Gamespot guy is saying the 2DS is actually more comfortable, even though it's weirder looking. That doesn't surprise me. There seems to be more space to the triggers for hands than the 3DS.

Oooooh it's so much cheaper than the 3DS! A whole $40.00, the cost of a single game!" Wow, what brilliant strategy. Make a console that is no longer portable, removes the key feature that it launched with, and still overcharge for it.

2DS just like the Wii U making it confusing and horrible naming.

Hi excuse me sir, I'm looking for Nintendo 2ds games for my son."
"Well yes, they're right over there."
"Um no, those all say 3ds."
"yup, the Nintendo 2ds plays 3ds games."
"Oh great! So were do I find the 2ds only games?"
Yeah I do not know what they have been thinking lately.

They launched so strong with the Wii and then afterwards, I hate to admit it, have been spiraling downward.

nintendo needs to acually find amazing uses for the wii u gamepad for gameplay and not just have people us it for inventory check or a map, thats another thing thats killing the wii u. its supposed to be the bread and butter of this thing but besides the tv out feature it isnt drawing people in like the wii mote. the wii mote was simple, practical and easy for everyone to use and it acally added to gameplay

Some IGN or Gamespot guy is saying the 2DS is actually more comfortable, even though it's weirder looking. That doesn't surprise me. There seems to be more space to the triggers for hands than the 3DS.
And the same people also sad that "OMG the PS3 Super Slim is so flimsy and the tray door will snap off the moment you touch it..." and yet I haven't seen any discussion on the issue since that revision launched.

It is nice to know who lines the pockets in the gaming industry though.

I wish they had made this 2DS available a long time ago. The 3D is a gimmick and the part of any DS that fails the quickest, especially with kids, is the stinkin' hinge breaking. I like the fixed design and actually think that would hurt sales, since I'm sure millions of DS systems have had broken hinges over the years.

It's "only" $40 less. That's about 25% less. That's not insignificant and yes you can get a brand new game with the savings.

Mom: you can either have a 3DS and Pokemon X or Y, or you can have a 2DS and Pokemon X *and* Y.

Return it.

Not sure why anyone would buy a console ever in late August/September knowing the holiday cuts and bundles are right around the corner anyway. Good things come to those who wait.
I think certain retailers have policies about returning opened systems.

This thread has been entertaining to follow. Something about Nintendo always brings everybody out of the woodworks. Keep it up guys :)

I think certain retailers have policies about returning opened systems.
This thread has been entertaining to follow. Something about Nintendo always brings everybody out of the woodworks. Keep it up guys :)
I've never heard of anything other than a possible restock fee on hardware. Software they definitely don't allow returns.

Wow.. what a price cut. I'd rather have this bundle that nintendoland. I hope there's an ambassador promotion. Doesn't this mean they're losing more money per system sold? I'll pass on the 2ds though. Great for anyone who has young kids since the 3d effect on the normal 3ds damages vision.

I hope there's an ambassador promotion.
Don't get your hopes up.

...why does everyone just assume Nintendo owes its customers something for a price cut 9 months into the lifespan of a console?

I don't remember folks bleating at Sony for a "ambassador program" when the Vita got a price cut the other day.

nintendo_2ds.0_cinema_720.0.jpg

LOL a 2DS is coming.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAExBTWIp3M
i really hope this is a joke

its one butt ugly system.

so since they are bringing this out might as well say you wont see a NEW handheld from nintendo till 2016 or later

nintendo needs to acually find amazing uses for the wii u gamepad for gameplay and not just have people us it for inventory check or a map, thats another thing thats killing the wii u. its supposed to be the bread and butter of this thing but besides the tv out feature it isnt drawing people in like the wii mote. the wii mote was simple, practical and easy for everyone to use and it acally added to gameplay
And they had a system seller with launch. Wii Sports and Zelda Twilight. Zelda sells itself and the "wii like to play" ad was everywhere. This bundle is a 10 year old game. Shame that systems launches don't come with system games sellers anymore.

PS4 and XBone are advertised as just upgrades at this point with promises of next gen games. Wii U promises a game pad but no must own games like the Wii did.

I wish they had made this 2DS available a long time ago. The 3D is a gimmick and the part of any DS that fails the quickest, especially with kids, is the stinkin' hinge breaking. I like the fixed design and actually think that would hurt sales, since I'm sure millions of DS systems have had broken hinges over the years.
I was an early adopter of the 3DS, I play with the 3D off most of the time. I only turn it on to see the depth and how well integrated the 3D actually is. I think the 3D would work so much better if it the graphics were a lot better.

The one thing I do like about the 2DS is that the gap between screens doesn't look so bad like the 3DS, that's the biggest complaint I have about the system.

Word, the real question is.... Did you ever finish it?
Multiple times! It's a great great game that could have been one of the best ever IF the pacing was better (break up the triforce quest so it doesn't happen all at once) AND they included the two extra dungeons (fire/ice) as originally planned. Faster sailing would have been welcome (which I read they are fixing in the WiiU version). The figurines could have been planned out a little better too (there should be UNLIMITED pics for your camera) but that is a minor gripe.

i love this  

It also includes two cameras on the back side, so AR games still function and players can still take 3D photos -- they simply can’t be displayed on the 2DS, but are still viewable in full 3D if transferred to 3DS

UMMMM   why the hell would anyone buy a  2DS then  buy  a  3DS just to look at their pictures in  3d... JUST BUY A FREAKING  3DS  

i love this

It also includes two cameras on the back side, so AR games still function and players can still take 3D photos -- they simply can’t be displayed on the 2DS, but are still viewable in full 3D if transferred to 3DS[/size]

UMMMM why the hell would anyone buy a 2DS then buy a 3DS just to look at their pictures in 3d... JUST BUY A FREAKING 3DS [/size]
I believe AR-enabled titles are programmed with the 3D cameras in mind. They likely wouldn't function with a standard one-lens setup.

^ battered wife syndrome?

Sizeable audience? Care to elaborate? Is kids under 7 a large demographic for the handheld gaming industry? I don't mind the idea but I think the set up is awkward at best. The might as well just make a system that plays 3DS/DS games without the "Double Screen" aspect. Toggle screens with select or something.

You could argue that the price cut should have come sooner. They may have saved face by waiting it out a few months but all it did was stall sales. You can't argue that the sales for the Wii U were anything but sad. That being said had they sold at a respectable rate this price cut would not have happened.

Lastly you might be right about people wanting physical items but you don't create a "Limited/Collector's" bundle for that type of an audience now do you?

You're right. The Pink 3DS XL was a "Limited Edition" and we all know there was nothing limited about that.

"battered wife syndrome"? Huh? Because I think they have some good ideas I'm too beaten down to notice? I think I am just looking at it from a far different perspective than you are.

Yes, the 7 and under demographic IS large. Here is what I don't get, everyone bitches that Nintendo is only making kiddie games made at kids, then they come out with a console that is perfect for kids and everyone goes "Why?!?!?!?". So those kids can play the games without three of the biggest problems with the 3DS for small children. A hinge that can break, removal of a 3D feature they shouldn't use and a lower price point. They can go to the store and buy a system in the DSi price range and still be able to play the games that Nintendo is making right now. It is a more reasonably priced option for parents that want to upgrade to play the latest games. If I had one change to make to the 2DS I would have suggested an attached stylus as well.

You say you don't like it, fine - but are you over 7? Do you have young children that want to play the latest Mario game? Do you fancy spending $40 more for features your child doesn't need or want? If it doesn't suit you, then move along - they have you covered already. I personally have a child under 7 and would have loved having that cheaper, more suitable option previously. Heaven forbid they offer options for a variety of players, including ones everyone thinks they are always catering to anyways. I have a 3DS XL for me. My older son has one as well. But this one would have been great for the younger one.

WiiU sales suffered more from software delays than price. Yes it probably could have come earlier, but I don't see the problem with making a course correction. They may be slow on the trigger, but one could say that with the 3DS as well. And it recovered just fine. There are lots of great games coming out and that will help the number one problem with the WiiU.

If you are a collector, then obviously you wouldn't want to separate the console from the game anyways by trading the game in. Buy a physical copy as well if that is essential for you to feel "complete". If you are getting a new WiiU for collection purposes because of some paint on the controller then money is probably not a deciding factor. If you are buying it just to play WiiU games, then digital serves the purpose of giving them a corner to cut to drop the price.

Oooooh it's so much cheaper than the 3DS! A whole $40.00, the cost of a single game!" Wow, what brilliant strategy. Make a console that is no longer portable, removes the key feature that it launched with, and still overcharge for it.

2DS just like the Wii U making it confusing and horrible naming.

Hi excuse me sir, I'm looking for Nintendo 2ds games for my son."
"Well yes, they're right over there."
"Um no, those all say 3ds."
"yup, the Nintendo 2ds plays 3ds games."
"Oh great! So were do I find the 2ds only games?"

So your big argument is the name? Fair enough, they could do better on this front. WiiU and 2DS are poor choices for names. People will figure it out quick enough though. The biggest problem is when grandparents/etc. head to the store to buy a game, but that is already an issue - how many times have you heard stories of grandparents going to the store and asking an employee for Mario for the XBox? It actually happens fairly frequently and it won't stop until there is a single game platform (ie: NEVER). Non-gamers always have and will continue to confuse platforms when they go to stores with employees that aren't aware of the products they are selling.

And $40 is a big deal for parents because it gives you an option to play current games for the DSi price point. They aren't making many DS games anymore, and kids want to play new games, and Nintendo wants to sell more games. It makes upgrading easier to stomach.

Going to have to think about getting a WiiU now. Not sure what they're thinking with the 2DS though as far as design goes. I guess they didn't want a clam-shell to distinguish it, but it looks like it's pretty bulky and not really able to fit into a pocket; ie not very portable.

Going to have to think about getting a WiiU now. Not sure what they're thinking with the 2DS though as far as design goes. I guess they didn't want a clam-shell to distinguish it, but it looks like it's pretty bulky and not really able to fit into a pocket; ie not very portable.
Apparently, Reggie stated it's for kids under 7, since they don't recommend the 3d for kids under that age.

the 2DS is ugly as sin, what was nintendo thinking when they came up with it.
Kids and not gamers. And it's a good idea at the price too for parents.

Also, initial reports are that the feel of the controls work pretty darn well. It's a mini tablet design almost and mini tablets are huge right now.

The biggest problem is when grandparents/etc. head to the store to buy a game, but that is already an issue - how many times have you heard stories of grandparents going to the store and asking an employee for Mario for the XBox? It actually happens fairly frequently and it won't stop until there is a single game platform (ie: NEVER). Non-gamers always have and will continue to confuse platforms when they go to stores with employees that aren't aware of the products they are selling.
This is easily remedied though. Little box in the corner that says "Works on 2DS"

Pretty smart from Nintendo. First release DS then a 3DS then just make another DS that can play the 3DS games without the 3D so people can enjoy the 3DS games and DS games without caring for 3D.

Pretty smart from Nintendo. First release DS then a 3DS then just make another DS that can play the 3DS games without the 3D so people can enjoy the 3DS games and DS games without caring for 3D.
Or you could....turn the 3D off.

nintendo-3ds-3d-slider-200p.jpg

Lol, I guess people who buy nintendo products are not too bright. They get confused so easily, no wonder nintendo only make simple games.

I was going to be unhappy about this because I bought my WiiU in June until I remembered that I essentially only paid $15 for Mario U, Pro controller, and the deluxe. Thank you old 360 trade-in.

Or you could....turn the 3D off.

nintendo-3ds-3d-slider-200p.jpg

This is true, but trust me - kids bump it on from time to time. Even if it is nudged barely, the effect is hardly noticeable but it increases battery drain and can cause headaches/eye strain issues in children. Yes, you can disable it in the settings, but many people do not realize that. I used to leave it on so the kids could use it on theirs if they wanted to see it (but not use it to play). Then I realized they were bumping it or not turning it all the way off at times. Why pay extra for a fancy 3D screen if you are never going to use it?

I hardly use it myself, except just to see how effective it is on some games (it is very helpful on Crashmo). It looks cool, but makes you have to hold the system just right and the battery takes a big hit. I like having the option for myself. The kids? Not so much. My oldest wears glasses, so I really don't want anything that could make that worse.

This is still $50 too high. At least. The WW pack-in makes it a little more bearable but the base console should be around $200.
Look at the market. You know what else is $200? A 12gb PS3 without a tablet controller or a game. $300 is not a bad price for this especially with the Wind Waker bundled in AND Hyrule Historia.

Look at the market. You know what else is $200? A 12gb PS3 without a tablet controller or a game. $300 is not a bad price for this especially with the Wind Waker bundled in AND Hyrule Historia.
It's ok, most ppl complaining about wii U price is more than happy to buy a $200 controller for PS4 (Vita) but would never have purchased wii u anyway, no matter how much they say they would if only x and y and a-z happened. They will probably bitch and whine about no games and its kiddiness even if you give it to them free,

It's ok, most ppl complaining about wii U price is more than happy to buy a $200 controller for PS4 (Vita) but would never have purchased wii u anyway, no matter how much they say they would if only x and y and a-z happened. They will probably bitch and whine about no games and its kiddiness even if you give it to them free,
I complained about the price in this thread and I'm a longtime Nintendo fan. When I don't want a Wii U at $300 something isn't right. Call it what you will but it's not that I would never buy one. Nintendo has been headed down a path of mediocrity for quite a while now and I'd much rather speak with my money by not supporting something that doesn't warrant the asking price.

Unbelievable! All these people here saying, "oh, it's finally getting a price drop, I'll wait for the next". You do that. You're gonna be waiting a couple years just so you know. It's taken a year just for $50 to get shaved off the price, and that's ONLY because of slow sales from no software. Now that this enormous AAA lineup is on the brink, sales will pick up over the next year. And when that happens, the price isn't going anywhere. Hell, even if all Nintendo's exclusives don't make any impact on sales whatsoever (which is completely unrealistic), I still doubt there would be another price drop for at least a few years. The Wii U costs MORE than $350 to manufacture. They can't just keep dropping the price indefinitely.

$299 for a Wii U WITH Windwaker HD is a phenomenal deal. And the guy who said "it's nowhere near enough of a drop", what are you smoking on? The Wii U is some expensive kit- you guys act like it's a PS1 or something. What do you expect, to buy the Wii U for $199? I can personally vouch for the console- it's worth every cent of $350 and then some- games like Pikmin 3 and Wonderful 101 speak for themselves. You're making out like bandits for $299 with Windwaker HD.

I mean, if Nintendo games aren't your thing, that's cool, and I can respect that. But for those who know how immensely fun Nintendo games are, and has yet to experience the Wii U, you really don't know what you're missing! It's one of those consoles you buy and AFTER owning it a month you think, why didn't I buy this a long time ago? There's no reason to say $299 isn't a good enough price. This is as good as it gets, folks.

Exactly! You get a similar console with a WAY (this can't be stressed enough) better library of games - most of which are $20 or less at this point - for $100 less! Let's not even get into how much better the PS3's online capabilities are at the moment either.

The tablet controller is the absolute worst argument for why the price should be higher - that is their own doing. If they manufactured the WiiU out of $100 bills that still doesn't mean it is a good deal for consumers. The digital downloads are nice (of a 10+ year old game) but they cost NOTHING for Nintendo to throw in.

I am very interested in owning a WiiU at some point but the console is still at least $50 too much. At least.

bread's done
Back