Wii Zapper - Gen. Discussion & Info

I personally love it, and I love Link's Crossbow Training. There's more depth to that game than appears, especially if you have friends willing to challenge each other for high scores. We've played it more than some full games.

Right now the only games that use the Zapper effectively (as they were made for the zapper) is...

Ghost Squad
Link's Crossbow Training
Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicals
Medal of Honor Heroes: 2

If you don't want one of those games then don't buy a Zapper. It does not work with RE4 (because you shoot with A), and it is very very hard to use with metroid prime 3.

If you do want one of those games it is very easy to use and fun. I say go for one if you want to play one of those.

Medal of Honor: Heroes 2 has a Zapper mode as well...it works pretty well

Essentially you play through the single player campaign in an "on-rails" shooter.

Link's Crossbow Training is cool too

I have read lots of reviews about the zapper, most of them negative. Personally, after using it, I think it's kinda cool. The only complaint I have with it is that you wrap the nunchuk cord in the handle of the zapper, and if you leave it in there for a while, the cord will get all bent up...kinda like wrapping ps2 cords around the controller...

I'd say if you're thinking about it...just get it...it's only twenty bucks...and if you don't like it, at least you got another "Zelda" game

I highly recommend the Zapper if you plan on playing one of the above mentioned games. I used to be in the Zapper hate camp, but after getting accustomed to shooting with both the front trigger (LinksCBT) and the back trigger (Ghost Squad), I think it is an excellent peripheral. Though, it did take a good few hours before warming up to it.

Count me as a Zapper fan. Ialsohave a Perfect shot. It does seema bit quicker when playing Ghost Squad. I like the Zapper for MOHH2 as it has more of a machine-gun feel. Also, the PS has a large squareish handle--that and the trigger will make your hand sore after a little while. (And I have large hands--probably worse with small hands.) OTOH, can use the Zapper comfortably for hours. I'm surprised the PS is so uncomfortable.

I've got 2 of them. I don't like it for Link's Crossbow Training, b/c it doesn't give you the option to configure the controls. I have Ghost Squad and occasionally use it for that since you can switch so that the Z is the trigger. I do better without the Zapper with my aim for some reason, but all my friends and family that play the games with me prefer to use it with the Zapper. I'd recommend it, since it is a 1st party accessory that is cheap and comes with a game. I've seen it at GS used, for $13 for the Zapper only. I haven't played the other 2 games, but I'll be getting them in the future.

[quote name='riccaboni']Thanks for the reviews guys. I think I'll pick one up. It sounds like it's worth it just for Crossbow Training.[/QUOTE]

I say give it a shot (no pun intended). A few more games are coming out this year that will support it and no doubt there will be some calibration tool within the new games to help make it easier for you to use.

[quote name='ITDEFX']
After you give it a chance and get the hang of it, it can be pretty effective. But the first time using it, it's gonna be frustrating and you will hate it.[/quote]

Wait you're talking about the zapper right, not using a condom?

[quote name='pittpizza']Wait you're talking about the zapper right, not using a condom?[/QUOTE]

A Condom? Who needs that? I'm a man and I can hold it back, can you?

I just got a Wii Zapper today and was a bit unsure about keeping it, until I read this thread. I bought it because CC had it for $20 and I have a hard time finding this at $20. I do plan to purchase some Wii light gun games in the future, so this should be fine. I think I will keep it, since I plan to buy Ghost Squad and maybe HotD 2 and 3.

Anyone having problems with links crossbow? I insert the disk and after 15-20 seconds it says disk error and to eject the disk and shut down the wii. No cratches or smudges on the disk. One weird thing is when looking at the bottom of the disk usually you can see how much info is on the disk because you can see the slight color difference from the writen part to the blank part and I don't see that. It almoust seems like nothing was writen on the disk.

[quote name='Chowder chops']One weird thing is when looking at the bottom of the disk usually you can see how much info is on the disk because you can see the slight color difference from the writen part to the blank part and I don't see that. It almoust seems like nothing was writen on the disk.[/QUOTE]

Damn... I wonder if that's possible, to get a game disc without any data on it.:whistle2:k

Nintendo said they would replace it but they never heard of a problem with the game. I was able to exchange the game at Fred Meyer and got a new one. Guess what..... same problem. So either there is a bad batch of games or my console is screwy. It dosn't have a problem playing other games and I tried downloading the lastest firmware to no avail.

I have the same error happen occasionally on Wii Sports. It usually doesnt, but every once in a while. I noticed if I just insert the disk and let it load up before going into the game channel, it usually doesn't happen, but that might just be me thinking too much about it.

I'm recently hooked on playing Ghost Squad over and over and I'm looking forward to HotD 2 and 3. Question is...does the Wii Zapper add to the feel of these games or is it not worth it? Any opinions are greatly appreciated.

I have no experience with the zapper but I could recommend the Nyko Perfect Shot. Feels good, looks good, and with the Ghost Squad calibration feels pretty accurate. I'm not sure how shooting from the hip with the zapper would feel. I do, however, wish I had Link's Crossbow Training.

I recommend getting both. The Perfect Shot is way better, but Link's Crossbow Training is quite cool. You can use the Zapper for 2 player games, ya know?

I used it with Umbrella Chronicles and quickly went back to playing without it. It was mainly the feel of the gun I didn't like. Try going with a 3rd party one, it's probably better.

I like it, I have two of them. I am interested int he Perfect Shot but I just can never seem to find one in stock.
Link's Crossbow Training is a good time.

I like the Wii Zapper. It definitely took time getting used to though, but now I'm a big fan. I found it useful games that use a cursor pointing setup like RE:UC, since it keeps the aiming steady (aiming from the waist). For a light gun calibrated game, Perfect Shot is probably better for aiming down the barrel (sights are better on the gun).

I bought one, haven't used it, but it doesn't feel as bad as I thought it would. On the other hand, i don't see it being a good option for light gun style games- it'd be more suited towards more simple, slower shooting games.

It doesn't feel very comfortable to me, but it does keep my hands much steadier than if I were to just hold the remote and nunchuk.

You can get Link's Crossbow Training used by itself at Gamestop if you really want the game but find a better alternative to the Zapper.

I love the Wii Zapper. I honestly can't imagine how fun Ghost Squad would be without some light gun accessory. I play Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles the most with the Zapper. It took some time to get used to it, but I get quite a few headshots now that I'm adjusted to it.

I'd recommend buying the Zapper from Wal*Mart since they are the only retailer I know that is selling the Zapper for the MRSP of $20 (last time I checked, most sell it for $25)

I played Link's Crossbow once and beat it in a single seating. I haven't used the zapper since and don't really know if I will ever again. I actually feel sorta stupid for buying the stupid hunk of plastic, but that's just my experience...

i had the zapper and i personally wouldn't recommend it. I ended up ebaying mines. You're much better off playing with just the wii remote since it doesn't feel like you're carrying a bulky hunk of plastic. Crossbow training is cool with it but Umbrella chronicles is a no no. For example when you have to shake the wii remote it feels a lot better in your hands than shakin the whole gun (maybe it's just me but sometimes i felt like the wii remote was going to slip out of the zapper grip). As for HoTD I'm also gettin that but I have no plans on playing it with the zapper.

Yes, most of us can agree that the Zapper feels awkward to use. Its trigger is terrible to boot. But it comes with a cool game, so that's a plus.

For the few who like the Zapper... Seriously, try the Perfect Shot. It has no disadvantages over the zapper (except you have to remove the Wiimote wriststrap).

I've got a Zapper and a Perfect Shot and (all declarations of preference aside) I'm rediscovering a love of shooting games that's been buried since Gangster Town on the Sega Master System. Now that the first "wave" of zapper-compatible games has been out for a few months, has anyone heard of new compatible games coming out in the near future. Besides House of the Dead - I already prepaid for that one.

bread's done
Back