Wii's in Best Buy Sunday ad for 12/02/07

Went to BB in Germantown, MD at about 8AM today. The line was long and I almost went home. Decided to stay anyway and was a good thing. It turned out they had 75 Wiis, I was ticket number 60. We had a lady come late and offer $300 bucks to buy one of our tickets. Didn't really want to have to search anymore so I hesitated and somebody else took her up on it. But anyway I got one! Thanks to the original poster and to CAG!

[quote name='Plinko']Can we ban this moron please?[/quote]
[quote name='PKRipp3r']I agree... referring to N as 'ninty' should be an autoban[/quote]

This thread might get something accomplished afterall.

I wonder how many more Wii Sundays we can expect from here on out, at this point I can't really blame anyone attempting to profit off of stupidity.

Alright people! I'm trying to have a nice day at home for my 5 year-old's birthday and I'm getting dozens of complaints about this thread. I have deleted as much as I can find in the short time I have. If anyone wants that nob (edit - yes, "nob", not "noob" - it's an old insult from my long-ago high school days ;)) banned please PM an uber-mod. Unfortunately I can't ban or it would have happened already (not permaban, but at least a day).

There are more posts I *should* clear out not related to that particular offender but I don't have the time right now to do it in a fair fashion, so I'll let them sit. I considered closing the thread but I figure it should stay open for a bit to allow people to post their stories. It astounds me people are offering $300 for a place in line :shock:. I want to hear more about that kind of stuff!

And I was seeing them EVERYWHERE a month ago or so. I mean, I saw Wii's in about 10-15 stores over the course of a month. I really thought Nintendo had finally reached equilibrium (not shelf-sitting, but at least available for a day or two). But I guess not.

[quote name='Zhanmadao']Hey dumbass, My system can check how many wii's each store has and noone gets past over 50 EVER ,and the ad clearly says 18 per store.

my store has currently 32 but do you honestly think we'll offer them all in one day? buisness doesn't work like that jackass.[/quote]

Haha... who's the "dumbass" now? My local store had 81 today. That's right... 81. Dumbass.

[quote name='Indiana']I hate that Best Buy gives out tickets. BF was ruined this year because of the 3am tickets. People up front just took tickets for everything and then turned around and sold them for lots of money. BB might as well just start auctioning the items to the highest bidder.[/quote]
what other way can they do it? people will bum rush the store if no one has a ticket. This way there is a least some type of control. Besides it only fair the person who got in line at midnight gets what he wants.

[quote name='lilchubz11']what other way can they do it? people will bum rush the store if no one has a ticket. This way there is a least some type of control. Besides it only fair the person who got in line at midnight gets what he wants.[/quote]

I was discussing this with a friend after I told them about the crap I saw while trying to get a price adjustment...ultimately, the best way would be a lottery style system, but since that is probably too time consuming, tickets seems to be the best. Then the question becomes when do those get handed out. The BB I went to apparently handed them out just after midnight, and told people to go home and come back by 11am, or their ticket would be void. Apparently they had 41. Some bitch complained that they shouldn't hand the tickets out until 10am when they opened, but that's BS too. When it's all said and done, there's nothing that's going to be fair to everyone that is easy and not going to piss off someone.

Well it seems every store handed out tickets at different times, which doesn't work either. I sent my aunt out to get one for her son about an hour or two before the store opened (Didn't know there would be tickets), and they had given out tickets long before than. Yet if you go at midnight you might be there all night (next to impossible for a lot of parents, especially single parents) or just a few hours.
They really do need a better system of ticket hand out at the very least.

I was at my local best buy around 7am and was 15th in line, the first best buy I went to had over 40 people at it around 6:30, so I drove to a different one that luckly had less people. they ended up having over 50, and everyone who got in line before 9am (when they handed out tickets) was able to get a wii. when the store opened at 10 they formed a new line (most people once they got their tickets went in to their cars to warm up.. it was pretty F'n cold out there.

there were a BUNCH of people who showed up a little before 10 and just got in line, not realizing they needed a ticket to get their Wii. I can understand being a little pissed, it doesn't say anything about tickets in the flyer, nor does it say when they will hand them out (they should make this standard, say 1hour before store opening for example)

I'm glad a good amount of CAG's got to get a wii this holiday season.

[quote name='Ronin317']When it's all said and done, there's nothing that's going to be fair to everyone that is easy and not going to piss off someone.[/quote]

QFT.

If they list they'll have Wii's, people will be in line by the time the store opens. Incidentally, there will be people lined up beforehand to make sure they are at the front of the line- this will happen no matter what. Now, what happens next is circumstantial for each store. If it's 7am and there are 10 people in line for 30 Wii's, there's not point in handing out since everyone will get one.

However, let's say it's 7am and there are 50 people lined up for 30 Wii's. The store has two options:

1- The store hands out tickets to the people that are already in line at 7am to the first 30 people in line. Those who are not given tickets are disappointed but they know there is no point waiting another 3 hours in line, so they at least have the knowledge that there is no guarantee they will get one. If anyone else shows up, they can (and should) post a bulletin on the front door notifying that tickets were handed out because they had already reached their maximum amount. This alerts anyone showing up later of the situation.

2- The store waits until 9:45 am. At this time there will be many more desperate people claiming to have gotten in line before so and so, and it results in a major headache to the employees. People will be yelling and clamoring for tickets because of this. Even if there IS an orderly fashion and people wait single file against the wall outside as the employees give it out, they STILL have only a limited amount and have to turn away other people.

So- turn away a few people at a time before they open, or turn away a MASSIVE crowd of people as they are opening. It's really just smart business to not agitate your customer and let them know that there were enough customers who got there before them. Best Buy has no reason to kick people off their property, and if they refused to let people line up until a certain time, it would be like that Wal-Mart PS3 incident (YouTube "PS3 Wal-Mart Pole" if you're unfamiliar). Best Buy is trying to keep the peace and they did a commendable job (though they still outright SUCK as a company).

The fact is once there are people in line over the number of Wii's they have, BB should give out tickets and post a bulletin to the remaining customers. This also prevents late-comers from cutting in line with their friends and getting ahead of other people who were rightfully there before them. Granted, this allows everyone waiting in line when they give out tickets the ability to wait in there cars instead of the cold, there still is no real way to guarantee fairness with everyone waiting in their spot in the line unless an employee takes roll call every 10 minutes making sure nobody left.

The way it should be:
1- BB hands out tickets once X amount of people in line.
2- BB posts a bulletin alerting customers "Due to overwhelming response to our advertisement, tickets were handed out..."
3- People who have tickets wait in line until the store opens.

Nobody gets screwed (since if you arrive late, there's still a fuckload of people in front of you), people don't have to wait for nothing, and BB deals with one or two people upset because they woke up late instead of dozens of people who waited an extra 2-3 hours in line.

Also, the fact that they didn't mention handing out tickets doesn't matter when there aren't enough Wii's to cover the amount of people in front of you in line. Like I said, even if they don't hand out tickets, if you show up that late after everyone else, you're still not going to get one, so don't even begin to bitch about the fact they didn't tell you there would be tickets- you're really just not very smart.

[quote name='Zhanmadao']Hey dumbass, My system can check how many wii's each store has and noone gets past over 50 EVER ,and the ad clearly says 18 per store.

my store has currently 32 but do you honestly think we'll offer them all in one day? buisness doesn't work like that jackass.[/quote]

ummm FYI one store here in San Diego got between 325 - 350 last week for the sale (dunno the exact number, but it was closer to 350). And there was only one store in SD that got less than 100 Wiis last week for the ad. The store I work at got just about 200 of them. And FYI every store in SD sold some during the week.

And this is not really a holiday thing, the one store that got over 300 of them gets over 100 Wiis in a shipment often - and my store has got more than 50 in one shipment more than a few times.

Oh - and the ad said there would be a min of 18 per store, not 18 per store.

Are you OS or do you just work at a REALLY small store?

[quote name='fuss']ummm FYI one store here in San Diego got between 325 - 350 last week for the sale (dunno the exact number, but it was closer to 350). And there was only one store in SD that got less than 100 Wiis last week for the ad. The store I work at got just about 200 of them. And FYI every store in SD sold some during the week.

And this is not really a holiday thing, the one store that got over 300 of them gets over 100 Wiis in a shipment often - and my store has got more than 50 in one shipment more than a few times.

Are you OS or do you just work at a REALLY small store?[/quote]

I am in the Bay Area and the BB store near me had 160 units available. I got there around 8:45 and was the 50th person there. At 9:30am they handed out the ticket and before the store opened, all tickets were given out.

It definitely depends on the size of the store.

[quote name='fuss']ummm FYI one store here in San Diego got between 325 - 350 last week for the sale (dunno the exact number, but it was closer to 350). And there was only one store in SD that got less than 100 Wiis last week for the ad. The store I work at got just about 200 of them. And FYI every store in SD sold some during the week.

Are you OS or do you just work at a REALLY small store?[/QUOTE]
I think he just cant read.

Really, the best place to look for Wii deals are on eBay!
I use eBaySweep(dot)com when I'm searching for items to optimize the search.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Nintendo Wii vs. X Box 360 - enter to win

[quote name='kingofkingsxxl']Really, the best place to look for Wii deals are on eBay!
I use eBaySweep(dot)com when I'm searching for items to optimize the search.
[/QUOTE]

Ban, please. This guy has been spamming for a few days now.

Oh really? Tell me more, oh guru. I have 5 crisp $100 bills in my wallet and I would like nothing more than to spend it all purchasing one of these miraculous Nintendo Wii entertainment machines for my ailing mother. They cure cancer, yes?

My store got in 150 Wiis today. Anybody who is telling you that most stores only got 18 is lying or is dumb. From what I know, most Best Buys got considerably more than 18, but I live in California. I'm suresmaller states may have gotten smaller allotments, but my store and we have 2 Best Buys in the city got 150 nearest my home. The other I would assume got a similar amount. So that breaks down to 300....far from 18. Which even the ad states "minimum 18 per store."

My brother picked one up to flip for a profit. It's odd that a lot of them are going for more this year than they were last year.

And as far as the ticketing system goes, I have a story about launch day when I bought mine that could have ended in disaster. I was something like 17th in line. My Target got 80 or so. They filled the line up about an hour before opening and handed out tickets. They then told us that we could come back anytime between open and noon or whatever and by the system. Well, it was only an hour so everybody just went to Dunkin Donuts for coffee and then came back. I waited like 8 hours, the longest like 12. Anyway, so we get back and they are going to just take people in any order even though we got numbered tickets. The crowd almost rioted, and very quickly the manager decided to take people in order. He didn't understand why people were upset. We explained to him that we wanted our pick of the accessories in the order we got there, not to mention that if someone waited 12 hours they should be able to buy it first. That turned out to be really lucky he agreed to do it in order because Wii Remotes and Nunchuks were harder to find than the Wii was. I remember seeing them going for like $50 for a nunchuck and $60-70 for a Wii remote on ebay.

[quote name='drfunk85']My brother picked one up to flip for a profit. It's odd that a lot of them are going for more this year than they were last year.

And as far as the ticketing system goes, I have a story about launch day when I bought mine that could have ended in disaster. I was something like 17th in line. My Target got 80 or so. They filled the line up about an hour before opening and handed out tickets. They then told us that we could come back anytime between open and noon or whatever and by the system. Well, it was only an hour so everybody just went to Dunkin Donuts for coffee and then came back. I waited like 8 hours, the longest like 12. Anyway, so we get back and they are going to just take people in any order even though we got numbered tickets. The crowd almost rioted, and very quickly the manager decided to take people in order. He didn't understand why people were upset. We explained to him that we wanted our pick of the accessories in the order we got there, not to mention that if someone waited 12 hours they should be able to buy it first. That turned out to be really lucky he agreed to do it in order because Wii Remotes and Nunchuks were harder to find than the Wii was. I remember seeing them going for like $50 for a nunchuck and $60-70 for a Wii remote on ebay.[/quote]

do u live in a small town? lol i see tons of wiimotes/nunchucks all the time everywhere!!

[quote name='Furashu']do u live in a small town? lol i see tons of wiimotes/nunchucks all the time everywhere!![/QUOTE]

He said launch day ;).

[quote name='io']He said launch day ;).[/quote]

oh sorry i cant read english...
lol thanks for the clarification i was too lazy to read through all of it.

[quote name='Furashu']oh sorry i cant read english...
lol thanks for the clarification i was too lazy to read through all of it.[/quote]

Yup, launch day. The accessories are everywhere now, but they were harder to find then Wiis last December.

The only problem I have with the tickets is they need to tell people what time they plan to pass them out. Went by a BB this am and small line at just before 7 am, came back at 8:30 am to see signs saying they had passed out all 48 tickets at 7 am and so sorry. They also passed out tickets for wii guitar hero but didn't bother posting that on the door. If I knew what time tickets would be passed out I could make a better decision about standing in line. ie 1 hour wait (like get there at 3 or 6 am etc wait an hour for ticket and than leave) versus 3 or 4 prior to store opening.

[quote name='Furashu']do u live in a small town? lol i see tons of wiimotes/nunchucks all the time everywhere!![/quote]

He said: I have a story about launch day when I bought mine that could have ended in disaster.

[quote name='mannysgoldglove']He said: I have a story about launch day when I bought mine that could have ended in disaster.[/quote]

the guy one post above me already told me thank you for clarifying!

[quote name='kklems']The only problem I have with the tickets is they need to tell people what time they plan to pass them out. Went by a BB this am and small line at just before 7 am, came back at 8:30 am to see signs saying they had passed out all 48 tickets at 7 am and so sorry. They also passed out tickets for wii guitar hero but didn't bother posting that on the door. If I knew what time tickets would be passed out I could make a better decision about standing in line. ie 1 hour wait (like get there at 3 or 6 am etc wait an hour for ticket and than leave) versus 3 or 4 prior to store opening.[/quote]
The problem with that is it just changes opening time from 9am to 7am. In other words, if everyone knows tickets are being passed out at 7am, the people who were willing to wait out 10 hours will still wait 10 hours, theyll just start even earlier.

In other words, let's say you're willing to wait 1 hour. If nobody knows that they pass out tickets, than everybody who is willing to wait more than 1 hour shows up before you. If there aren't enough Wiis to cover that many people, you don't get one. If everybody knows that they are going to pass out tickets 2 hours earlier, than everybody who is willing to wait more than 1 hour STILL shows up before you, they just show up 2 hours ealier because they know they won't be waiting the whole time, and you still don't get one.

If everybody knows when they are passing out tickets, nothing changes. Passing out tickets and not telling people until after they do so is the only way to do it. The point of passing out tickets is saving people from waiting in line. If everybody knows when the tickets are being passed out they will just wait in line the same amount for the tickets.

bread's done
Back